Studded tire recommendation request- Mtbr.com
    AarBee
    Jan 2020

Studded tire recommendation request

Took my stock bike for a ride to ring in the new year. Mostly snow/ice free, small hills. After a few laps to get a feel for traction, I got a bit cocky and picked up some speed, must have touched the front brake on an icy zig, front tire washed out, baam I hit the ground and slid to a stop. No serious injury. But it got me thinking about getting studded tires.

I ride a full suspension bike with 27.5+ wheels: rear tire is 2.6” and front is 2.5”. Rims are 35mm and manufacturer stated tire width limit is 2.8”

I live and ride in the Boston area - so 4-6 storms a year. With the usual, (1) snow-> (2) ice-> (3) patches of ice cycle. My guess is that more than 50% of the days, I will be riding in conditions that are (3), that is, intermittent ice (< 30% coverage). Terrain is mostly, rocky, rooty cross country type terrain.

I am having a difficult time figuring out what would be the best set of tires to get given the conditions/constraints. Any input, experience will be much appreciated

thanks

EAT MORE GRIME
    wraithchild trail 27.5 studded

that's it. these are them

EDIT: nope, these are too embiggened at 3.0
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

turtles make me hot
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    You can buy studs separately and stud whatever tire you prefer as opposed to buying a studded tire that you may not like.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

always licking the glass
    Ooo. Thanks that’s a 2.8. That would actually work on my full suspension since the wrathchilds are too big for clearance.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...product=116154

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    Ooo. Thanks that’s a 2.8. That would actually work on my full suspension since the wrathchilds are too big for clearance.
    oops sorry about that
    thought they has 2.8, they only have 3.0
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I have the Wraithchilds on i40 rims for two yrs now and they are barely over 2.75.(not a true 3.0 tire) They will be fine on your rims. The tire is a beast on ice and 2-3" of snow and can't find anything better in slush/mud. The only problem is when there is no snow or ice pack but the ground is frozen they will lose some studs because they use the XL studs and its almost too much traction.

Just buy a pack of extra studs to replace them, I never had a knob tear or get mangled to the point where you can't just replace the stud. I actually replace the rear studs with the smaller concave studs and use the longer ones up front.

turtles make me hot
    Just a suggestion... Is another bike an option? Before fat bikes I used to ride my 29er fully in the winter and was not crazy about mucking up my pivots. You could build a rigid 27.5 plus bike and have room for 3 inch tires. Or even 4 or 5.
    I like turtles

AarBee
    Jan 2020
    Thanks everyone for the inputs. It has been a weird year here with lots of days with no snow or ice on the ground - actually got some regular (no snow, no ice, barely any much) rides in. Next year, I will buy Terrene studded 2.8s

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    AarBee, I'm not far from you up here in southern NH. We get more snow so I have a fat bike and two sets of tires, one studded. Friends of mine have the 27.5+ Wrathchilds and they lose studs but otherwise love the tires. The guy at a LBS swears this is primarily due to not setting the studs properly before taking them out on the trail. Another friend has the Suomi / Nokian 27.5+ tires, which look a lot like Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pros, and he loves them and as far as I know, he never loses studs. That said, I'd like to try the Terrene's. If they hold studs they could be great because they are pretty light in comparison.

This place needs an enema
    Check out the Schwalbe Ice Spiker's. 27.5 x 2.6".

I own and like and sell a lot of the Terrene tires, but I can guarantee the Schwalbe's have better grip and more predictable grip by a wide margin.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Check out the Schwalbe Ice Spiker's. 27.5 x 2.6".

I own and like and sell a lot of the Terrene tires, but I can guarantee the Schwalbe's have better grip and more predictable grip by a wide margin.
    How are the Schwalbe's as far as overall tire diameter compared to other 27.5 x 2.8 tires? I realize your recommendation is perfect for the OP, just curious about how it will effect BB height, etc. as compared to the Cake Eaters.

Fred

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by RagerXS View Post
    How are the Schwalbe's as far as overall tire diameter compared to other 27.5 x 2.8 tires? I realize your recommendation is perfect for the OP, just curious about how it will effect BB height, etc. as compared to the Cake Eaters.

Fred

Good question: I don't know the answer. I ran these in 29 x 2.2".