Formerly PaintPeelinPbody

Strongest 28h Rim - Clyde

I've got this set of 28h DT350 hubs sitting at home attached to spindly limp XC rims that fold if I look at them wrong.

I certainly could use a wheelset that isn't for Enduro or smashing around down in Sedona, I've got other wheels for that stuff. Something for, well, XC, but obviously for me that is going to require something more.

My riding weight is 240lbs. These wheels would be on a boost hardtail with adapters, do they'd be offset a fair amount.

What's the beefiest ALLOY 28h rim out there? Prefer 30mm wide, but could go wider or narrower if there was a big difference in price or strength.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    You flat out should not be on a 28h rim imo. SC Reserve rims are the only exception to that rule, mostly because of the warranty. In my opinion you'd still break them if you're a ripper.

That being said, if you are hell bent on not taking that advice, DT Swiss EX 511 is the only option i would trust. And i'd still contend you should not use a 28h as a rear and maybe, only as a front as long as you aren't going to ride it at the bike park.

I mean, DT Swiss is selling oodles of their pre-built M1900 and E1900 alloy wheelsets in 28H on Enduro bikes, trail bikes and I'm sure a few 165mm+ bikes as well.

They don't want to see warranties, so I can't imagine they'd sell all these wheelsets to manufacturers without knowing a few of them are going to get beat up.

I think the cheapest option for me would be the EX511 or E532 as I could use my straight pull spokes and not even unlace my hub.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbpete
    The Velocity Cliffhanger is a very strong rim, though 25mm internal width. Like another said the DT Swiss EX 511 is another good choice.

mtbr member
    My riding weight is 235. Been on a set of 28h DT XM481's for about three years now. These rims have been on three bikes and two sets of hubs. Only times I've had to put a spoke wrench to them is when I snag a spoke on a rock which we have tons of here in central TX. IMO best rim for the money.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    You don't need to go nuts with the rim. Im not that far off from you at 215lb, and Im going on year 2 with a 415g easton arc 24. I was expecting months out of it, but its still running fine. I feel like im beating the hell out of it! If you're planning on xc use, I dont think you need to make any crazy heavy choices for rims.

You'd be fine on a xm481, or an ARC30. No need to drag around an anchor, a 500ish gram rim is more than plenty for xc riding, even at 240, even at 28h.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    The Velocity Cliffhanger is a very strong rim, though 25mm internal width. Like another said the DT Swiss EX 511 is another good choice.
    This was THE rim I was going to suggest but Velocity's site only shows it with 32, 36, etc. No 28.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    The cliffhanger is a 625g monster. A bit much for xc riding isn't it?

I need some definitive info:

Are the EX511's significantly stronger than the cheaper E532? THey are essentially the same rim in design, but one has eyelets and the other doesn't, one has a pinned seam, the other welded.

Then there is the Hybrid rims, intended for ebikes: they are the HX531 and HX552.

I also wonder if a wider rim like the XM521 or M542 would be similarly sturdy as they are 35mm internal width.

This place needs an enema
    27.5" or 29"?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    I need some definitive info:

Are the EX511's significantly stronger than the cheaper E532? THey are essentially the same rim in design, but one has eyelets and the other doesn't, one has a pinned seam, the other welded.

Then there is the Hybrid rims, intended for ebikes: they are the HX531 and HX552.

I also wonder if a wider rim like the XM521 or M542 would be similarly sturdy as they are 35mm internal width.
    snobs would tell you the welded seam is stronger then the pinned seam... but i think it makes no difference and it's just a weight and price issue.

Regarding the 28h stuff... I guess it depends on how rocky and gnarly your terrain is... but I've blown out 28h wheel builds in my rocky socal terrain at 180lbs. I think most bike shops would advise you to avoid 28 designs at your weight. To each their own, but without knowing how hard you ride and the terrain you are on, I can't in good faith suggest 28h at any rider weights over 190-200lbs. There are some people that ride butter smooth and some that don't ride anything rocky that can get away with it... but there are plenty of us that cannot for several reasons.

The easiest way to ask this is, are you a rim killer or flat spotter historically. And depending on that answer, that should guide what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    27.5" or 29"?
    29"

I know you like the Durocs.

The only reason I'm leaning towards DT Swiss is because I've got straight pull hubs with DT rims already laced, which if I remember correctly most DT rims are the same ERD and therefore I could simply tie the spoke crosses, wind off the nipples and re-lace.

mtbr member
    Another 240lb Clydesdale here...

Don't listen to nay-sayers re, us big fellas not riding on 28h rims.

I have on my AM HT 29er (wait... did he say HT?!)... an Easton Heist 24 rear wheel.

Thing is sound as sound can be.

I've ridden it on all sorts of terrain i.e. rocky, dry, arid, desert type stuff - rooty, loamy trails - dry hardpack & most everything in between.

FYI - it's a straight pull spoked wheel. Not sure of that makes it stronger/weaker.

PS - E.H-24 wheel has never needed truing. Great bang for the buck.

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"