• 12-13-2019
    D(C)
    Strong rims - Race Face Arc 30 Offset Heavy Duty vs Stans Flow EX3
    I am looking to build up a near rear rim that is less prone to denting. In the past, I had good luck with WTB Frequency i23 and Stans Flow EX, both of which lasted me a couple seasons without dying.

Since running the new crop of wide rims (Race Face Arc, Stans Flow MK3), which seem to have a lighter construction than those narrow ones (wider + same or lighter weight = less material), I have had more dents. Unlike the old rims, when these new ones dent, it's not just the bead hook, which can be bent back. The rim bed dents/flattens as well, which is a nightmare for re-seating tubeless tires.

I am looking at a couple options for a heavier rear rim that I am hoping will hold up better, the Race Face Arc 30 Offset Heavy and the Stans Flow EX3. I like the fact that the Stans rim has extra ribs in the cross-section, similar to the old EXs, whereas the RFs are a single hollow section. But the Stans rim is $50 CAD more.

Does anyone have experiences with either of these options? If you have, how have they held up, and what other rims have you broken?
  • 12-13-2019
    NYrr496
    I have 40mm Arcs on my Krampus and I havent hurt em at all.
    But... In all fairness, I run 3 inch tires so the rims get plenty of protection.

I build lots of em. 30mm, 35mm, 40 and 45. Everyone likes em.
  • 12-13-2019
    D(C)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I have 40mm Arcs on my Krampus and I havent hurt em at all.
    But... In all fairness, I run 3 inch tires so the rims get plenty of protection.

I build lots of em. 30mm, 35mm, 40 and 45. Everyone likes em.

Iím running Arc Offset 35s right now, which came on my bike. Both front and rear are dented up. Thatís why Iím considering the Heavy Duty ones.
  • 12-13-2019
    jeremy3220
    I dented my ARC 30's pretty quickly. I'll probably replace them with DT Swiss EX511's when the time comes. That said I have a carbon We Are One set on order for regular trail riding.
  • 12-13-2019
    D(C)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    I dented my ARC 30's pretty quickly. I'll probably replace them with DT Swiss EX511's when the time comes. That said I have a carbon We Are One set on order for regular trail riding.

Just to clarify, weíre talking about the latest edition Arc Offset 30 HD here (same rim as the Atlas DH wheelset). The older ARC rims were really soft. The new rims have a stiffer alloy, and the HD version has about 75 g more metal on it.
  • 12-13-2019
    jeremy3220
    Quote:

Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    Just to clarify, weíre talking about the latest edition Arc Offset 30 HD here (same rim as the Atlas DH wheelset). The older ARC rims were really soft. The new rims have a stiffer alloy, and the HD version has about 75 g more metal on it.

Mine are less than a year old but I don't think they're the HD version.
  • 12-13-2019
    EatsDirt
    DT EX511 should be high on your list IMO. I've had great luck with them and have worked on a few EX471's (seem similar just narrower) that have held up to some serious riding. Magnitudes better then the soft as butter MK3. They are possibly more expensive then the options you listed, but they come with nipples/washers.
  • 12-13-2019
    KennyWatson
    Chromag BA30?
  • 12-13-2019
    D(C)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KennyWatson View Post
    Chromag BA30?

Those would be on my list as well but the distributor is sold out.

Iím running the Phase/BA combo on my Chromag hardtail but havenít really put it through the paces yet.
  • 12-14-2019
    *OneSpeed*
    I think either of those rims you're considering would be significantly more durable than your current rims. Also check out Spank. The make some excellent, durable rims. Plus they come in fun colors.
  • 12-14-2019
    Enoch
    I recently built up some Arc 30 Heavy duty. It made for a nice build. THe HD rim will have it written on the label. The DT EX511 is really stout but those stupid washer they recommend use are so yesterday.
  • 12-16-2019
    mikesee
    The RF HD rim is more dent resistant than the Flow EX.

I'd choose the WTB i29 Asym over either if dent resistance was the goal.
  • 12-17-2019
    D(C)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mikesee View Post

Thanks, I appreciate the input. The RF HD is also cheaper, so thatís a bonus.

Iíll inquire about the WTBs.
  • 12-27-2019
    arctic_rogue
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mikesee View Post

What about the Flow EX compared to a newer Arc30 Offset?
  • 12-27-2019
    D(C)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by arctic_rogue View Post
    What about the Flow EX compared to a newer Arc30 Offset?

I had Flow EX (old 25 mm wide version) on a previous bike and ARC Offset 35 on my current one. In my experience, Flow EX are going to be more durable. I got a few small dents in my Flow EX over 2 seasons, but none of the rim bed crunches I hav experienced on Flow MK3 and ARC 35. The old Flow EX were heavier and narrower than a lot of the new rims, so it makes sense that they were stronger. Stanís stated intent with the new Flow EX3 was to achieve similar dent resistance to the old Flow EXs.
  • 12-27-2019
    arctic_rogue
    Are you happy with either or both?

Quote:

Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    Iíll let others comment, but I had Flow EX on my previous bike and ARC 35 on my current one. I dented them both under similar riding conditions. Durability appears to be similar.

• 12-27-2019
    D(C)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by arctic_rogue View Post
    Are you happy with either or both?

See above - I edited my response. After re-reading your post, I thought you were asking about Flow MK3, which are similar in durability to the ARC Offset (non-HD), but then realized you were asking about the old Flow EXs, which are very durable.

Basically, to get something with similar durability to the Flow EX, I think you need to be looking at some of the heavier rims I was asking about.