mtbr member

Straight Pull Vault Hub Dimensions???

I have a rear Race Face Vault hub that I need to lace up...

Question is, does anyone know the dimensions for this hub? It is a straight pull hub .....I see the dimensions for the j-bend aftermarket version.

If you have a link to the dimensions, please share....

Race Face seems to have no way of contacting them on their website
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hey. Any luck? Same dilemma, and raceface have hands down the shittest customer support on the planet.

I know the spoke lengths are 303mm left and right side, turbine R rim has an ERD of 600mm, there is a 4.5mm offset though on the rim

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by olay View Post
    Hey. Any luck? Same dilemma, and raceface have hands down the shittest customer support on the planet.

I know the spoke lengths are 303mm left and right side, turbine R rim has an ERD of 600mm, there is a 4.5mm offset though on the rim

Thanks
    Sorry, but I have not had any luck.

I have two possible ways to build this wheel. First, it was explained to me to measure the hub. This seems a bit complicated for straight pull hubs, so I will most likely not go this route.

I plan to use the numbers I know, rim ERD of 600 and spoke length, to work it backwards and build the wheel.

I have a spoke length of 304mm based on the spare spokes Jenson USA and Universal Cycles sells for the Race Face wheel. Where did you get your 303 spoke length from?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    So I messaged RaceFace last year.
    There were 2 things they replied to me:

"It's not as easy to provide hub # for straight pull hubs as you can't put something into a spoke calculator. I can give you the ERD and offset of a Turbine R rim and the spoke length then you can calculate the change for a different rim. 1mm change in ERD = .5mm change in spoke length"

This is horse shit, just give me the dimensions. You can find straight pull calculators like DT Swiss

And

"ERD is 600 (assuming 2mm for each nipple head height) and 4.5mm offset. You are correct the spoke length we use is 303mm."

I'm messaging them now, I asked for the straight pull dimensions, so they sent me dimensions for the J bend hub. That doesn't help either of us. I surprised they even replied.

I'll keep you posted

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Also what happened to your rim?

mtbr member
    I feel your frustration....at least you were able to get a response...me email disappeared into cyberspace??

I never had a rim, I was able to get the hub for a really good price, and I did not think of it being an issue to build it up until it became apparent the dimensions for this hub are top secret.

I used the DT Spoke Calculator for straight pull hubs without problem...I recently built a Syncros straight pull hub.

I really do not understand all the secrecy?

Barely in control
    Quote Originally Posted by olay View Post
    So I messaged RaceFace last year.
    There were 2 things they replied to me:

"It's not as easy to provide hub # for straight pull hubs as you can't put something into a spoke calculator. I can give you the ERD and offset of a Turbine R rim and the spoke length then you can calculate the change for a different rim. 1mm change in ERD = .5mm change in spoke length"

This is horse shit, just give me the dimensions. You can find straight pull calculators like DT Swiss

And

"ERD is 600 (assuming 2mm for each nipple head height) and 4.5mm offset. You are correct the spoke length we use is 303mm."

I'm messaging them now, I asked for the straight pull dimensions, so they sent me dimensions for the J bend hub. That doesn't help either of us. I surprised they even replied.

I'll keep you posted
    omg that is embarrassing (for Raceface not you). Although you can get the spoke length with the info they gave you since change in erd correlates so closely to spoke length it might as well be linear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Welcome to dealing with RaceFace

Barely in control
    Which is something I will never do!

I emailed DT Swiss one time and got a technical answer back in like 2 hrs, with pdf. Two thumbs up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Here is the reply I got with regards to getting dimensions.

"I have spoken with our engineers, product manager and marketing teams and the only document we have is solely for internal purposes and I cannot send you this. Sincere apologies for that. "

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I've pulled the hub from my rim and measured with digital calipers as best as possible: mine is a boost 148mm straight pull.

I'm getting:

Left Flange from centre: 39mm
    Right Flange from centre: 18mm

Left Flange Diameter: 57mm
    Right Flange Diameter: 71mm

Spoke offset: 0mm

I've plugged that into a calculator with a 600 rim and I'm getting 303mm so it's reasonably accurate. It's a hard hub to measure though.