Stock wheelset upgrade is it worth it- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Stock wheelset upgrade is it worth it

I have a 18' trek fuel ex7 with the stock line comp wheels. I am looking into upgrading them. I was hoping to get a wheelset for around $750 if I could. Most of those wheelsets are machine built. Should I save up more and go for a hand built set. I am only riding a $2k bike so I don't want to get ridiculous on a wheelset. I just didn't know how much a aftermarket set would change how the bike rides

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by CrLapp View Post
    I have a 18' trek fuel ex7 with the stock line comp wheels. I am looking into upgrading them. I was hoping to get a wheelset for around $750 if I could. Most of those wheelsets are machine built. Should I save up more and go for a hand built set. I am only riding a $2k bike so I don't want to get ridiculous on a wheelset. I just didn't know how much a aftermarket set would change how the bike rides

You can get a quality handbuilt wheelset for ~$750 or so.

Knowing specifically what you don't like about the stock wheels, or what you'd like the new wheels to improve upon, is most of the battle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Those wheels are decent. I wouldn't expect to notice much improvement in anything if you upgrade to a $750 set. I had line comp 30s on a fuel ex 9.8 and moved them onto another bike when that frame broke. Occasionally I'll swap the line comps with some carbon i9s ($2k+) I run on a different bike and honestly it's not a huge difference. The i9 higher hub engagement is probably the most noticeable difference to me. Stiffness and weight are less noticeable. If you have upgrade fever, a wheelset isn't a bad move but don't expect a night and day difference. YMMV

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Bikesexual
    Maybe call Wayne, he makes some pretty affordable and good wheels.

https://www.speedgearbike.com/
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbpete
    What aspects are you trying to improve? If the hubs are decent you can switch the rims and spokes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    What aspects are you trying to improve? If the hubs are decent you can switch the rims and spokes.
    I was going to ask the same. I just upgrade the hubs, usually for better engagement and maintainability.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah biggest thing is describing what about the current Line 30 Comps you don't like. Really they aren't a bad wheelset and for $750, I would not imagine you would be getting any sort of substantial upgrade. If you want to increase the engagement, which I think is already like 50t+, you can purchase a kit for the hub and add 3 more pawls to increase the engagement. Buddy did it on his after he lost a couple of pawls/springs. Just upgraded all of them and loved the feel/ride after that.