Still making skinny wheels.... Why?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Still making skinny wheels.... Why?

All of them! Even Shimano just released the new XT in the same pinner size they have always used. Is it 1990 still? I love my old XTs. Everything but the width. So in the basement they sit.

I found wide wheel love after going to velocity p35s- now blunt somethings. Whoa. Mind blown in what a wide rim can do for comfort, control/handling.

I know cross country is big and many may not think the width is needed, but I thought the same thing until I tried these fat beasts.

I live in Michigan so we are far from any real *all mountain * riding. We are more like all xc trails and I still see the benefits.
    And not all wide wheels are even that heavy anymore. Do you really need a 1400g wheelset on a frigging mt bike? The wide wheels, I feel, heavily outweigh the slight weight disadvantage. Yes pun intended.

So you do think manufacturers are missing the boat here? So few wide rims. Even my Flow EX just don't cut it compared to my p35.

Disappointed.

mtbr member

Re: Still making skinny wheels.... Why?

I agree. I'm in MI too and see a lot of people running 1.9 to 2.1 tires on equally skinny wheels. Wider wheels allow you to get more out of whatever size tire you choose.

I've run two different 2.4 tires on the front of my 26 HT, and they aren't any wider than the 2.25 on a wider rim I have in the rear. The skinny wheel yields a light bulb shaped profile in the big tire.

I think it comes down to riders being deathly afraid of rotational weight, to the point that they make huge compromises in wheel/tire selection, and the resulting traction. Too many weight weenie riders is likely the root cause. The wheel manufacturers are afraid that a few more grams will hurt sales, and they might be right.

Most wheel inquiries I see are still concerned with two things: Strength and weight. Not the width. Their loss, but those choices affect the wheel market.

Off the back...
    +1. I won't be buying anything narrower than 30mm unless it's for street/commuting use. I'm waiting for 23mm crabon tubbies to pair up with 28mm tires for the road...

Your Best Friend

I'd happily give up a little bit of extra tire width for 250+ plus grams per wheel. I think that makes more of a significant difference in handling and performance. I ride 2.25 tires and never felt the need for anything wider. I ride all of Utah for reference.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Still making skinny wheels.... Why?

I would guess tooling costs and market preference. Wide rims are still a niche product. The masses are still looking for the lowest weight wheels for the price. 90 percent of the bikes on the trails probably aren't even tubeless yet.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    What I want is a wide rim that isn't DH proof. I'm a light guy and my riding style could be defined as "rough XC" or "sissy AM".

Give me a rim more than 25 mm wide inside that doesn't weigh over half a kilo!

EDIT: The forum seems hostile towards cats so I edited the AM prefix.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post
    What I want is a wide rim that isn't DH proof. I'm a light guy and my riding style could be defined as "rough XC" or "sissy AM".

Give me a rim more than 25 mm wide inside that doesn't weigh over half a kilo!

EDIT: The forum seems hostile towards cats so I edited the AM prefix.
    Exactly!