Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008

Stans Wheelset with 3.30 Hub - Lateral Play in Rear Wheel

I recently noticed some lateral play in my rear wheel - Stans ArchEX wheel with their 3.30 hub (latest version with silver end caps).

I converted this from QR to 12x42 when I bought them (used) last summer.

Been fine so far.

After noticing the slop this morning I removed the wheel, pulled the cassette and free hub body. The free hub bearings were pretty notchy and could probably use replacing. I remove the seal on the outer bearing, cleaned it, re-greased and put it back together.

The axle assembly is tight - everything feels as thought it goes together correctly.

But I can wobble my wheel from side to side a little. I can hear it and can feel it, but it is really hard to SEE where it is. If I stare at the end of the cassette, nothing is moving. Same with the other side.

I would assume if its the bearings, i would be able to see the wobble right near the axle.

My next attempt is to just run through the spokes and make sure they're tight as they should be. That is the only thing I can think of at this point.

Common with this wheel? Ideas?

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    The 3.30 rear hub was made for kinda light riders(usually, under 190lbs). Even though they do not specify so, the reliability history of this hub points there.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    I had exact same problems w/ mine. The drive side bearing was toast. I believe they were 6802 which is probably why. Anyhow replaced with some SKF all was good. Believe they are using 6902 bearings in the NEO hubs for this reason

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008

Stans Wheelset with 3.30 Hub - Lateral Play in Rear Wheel

The free hub actually does have the 6902 LB bearings.

I'm 180ish with gear but I'm guessing it's just time for bearings, now that I think about it more. The sound and feeling it's making cant be spokes.

Two bearings in the freehub and two in the wheel itself is a easy fix to make it right.

Stans Wheelset with 3.30 Hub - Lateral Play in Rear Wheel-imageuploadedbytapatalk1445178649.847585.jpg
    --------------------------
    Rokworth.com
    MTB Reviews & Tests - for the love of writing and riding

mtbr member
    ^^ I'm speaking of the bearing in the hub itself on drive side that are 6802.

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyjr View Post
    ^^ I'm speaking of the bearing in the hub itself on drive side that are 6802.
    Ah ok. Thanks.
    Rokworth.com

Here, diagonally!
    Sounds like one or both bearings has lost it's structural integrity. Agree that SKF is a good choice. The bearings on this hub are just not big enough for heavier and/or aggressive riders, so you want a strong and durable bearing to try to compensate for that.

Broken Hipster
    The bearings in my 3.30 hubbed Arch EX lasted 600 miles before it sounded like spokes pinging and creaking.
    Brought it to my lbs and had them check tension and true the wheel although it didn't need it as it was just as true as the day it was installed. Great wheel.
    Put the wheel back on and it still made the same nose.
    Ordered bearings after doing some research.
    Sure enough, when I pulled the hub apart the inner hub was contacting the pawl race causing the sound to resonate through the spokes.
    Installed the new bearings and it runs great. Took all of about 20 minutes.
    I'll change the bearings every 500 miles from now on.

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by Barman1 View Post
    The bearings in my 3.30 hubbed Arch EX lasted 600 miles before it sounded like spokes pinging and creaking.
    Brought it to my lbs and had them check tension and true the wheel although it didn't need it as it was just as true as the day it was installed. Great wheel.
    Sure enough, when I pulled the hub apart the inner hub was contacting the pawl race causing the sound to resonate through the spokes.
    I'm getting the same sound with mine, after only a couple hundred miles. But I'm 240 geared up. Aww sh!t. Rebuild time. I think I'll have Stans send me a steel free hub body while its down.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    What bearings did you go with? Or did the shop do it?

And to your point, I have at least 1500 miles on this wheel in rough, rocky terrain. My mistake for not finding this earlier, although I'm would assume it'll be fine once the bearings are replaced.
    Rokworth.com

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyjr View Post
    I had exact same problems w/ mine. The drive side bearing was toast. I believe they were 6802 which is probably why. Anyhow replaced with some SKF all was good. Believe they are using 6902 bearings in the NEO hubs for this reason
    Hey jr, do you have the SKF part numbers for these?
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

Broken Hipster
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    What bearings did you go with? Or did the shop do it?

And to your point, I have at least 1500 miles on this wheel in rough, rocky terrain. My mistake for not finding this earlier, although I'm would assume it'll be fine once the bearings are replaced.
    I used 2 each Enduro 6802 and 6902 cartridge bearings.
    I breezed through this video just to familiarize myself with the hub. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1E3AI9QH4E

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    Hey jr, do you have the SKF part numbers for these?
    SKF 6802 2RS

eBay has them for good price.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    SKF upgrade is the ticket. Swedes and Germans are OCD metallurgists, who knows ball bearings like no other...
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    FYI - new wheels bearings - all good. Replaced the hub and free hub bearings.

Broken Hipster
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    FYI - new wheels bearings - all good. Replaced the hub and free hub bearings.
    That's the best bet, replace them all at the same time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I used 2 each Enduro 6802 and 6902 cartridge bearings.
    I breezed through this video just to familiarize myself with the hub. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1E3AI9QH4E
    So it's 6802 for the hub bearings (two needed) and 6902 for the freewheel (two needed), right?

Also, what would a Stan's 3.30HD front hub require in terms of SKF bearings?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaalgorn View Post
    So it's 6802 for the hub bearings (two needed) and 6902 for the freewheel (two needed), right?

Also, what would a Stan's 3.30HD front hub require in terms of SKF bearings?
    stans site has all the schematics / bearing sizes needed

Stan's 3.30 Hub Specifications

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Would this affect bearing lifespan?

Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    I'm getting the same sound with mine, after only a couple hundred miles. But I'm 240 geared up. Aww sh!t. Rebuild time. I think I'll have Stans send me a steel free hub body while its down.
    Would this make the bearings last longer? Iím 195 and the bearings I used lasted < 100 miles
    Iím going to order SKF but would steel hub body help? The aluminum one is in good shape

Magically Delicious
    You lost me at:

Quote Originally Posted by rjr19146 View Post
    Would this make the bearings last longer?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rjr19146 View Post
    Would this make the bearings last longer? Iím 195 and the bearings I used lasted < 100 miles
    Iím going to order SKF but would steel hub body help? The aluminum one is in good shape
    No I donít think a steel freehub body would help with bearing life unless youíre exploding freehub bodies too. I think itís the small outer diameter bearing itself (they went to bigger bearings with the Neo hub).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rokworth.com