Stan's notubes valve stem hole enlargement- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Stan's notubes valve stem hole enlargement

I have Bontranger Valiant Rims non-UST rim brake version built up by Dave Thomas of SpeedDream fame. I just got my Stan's notubes kit and the first thing in the instructions is to:

First Step: Enlarging Valve Stem Hole

If you have any Tubeless Rim (UST, Bontrager, etc…) DO NOT enlarge valve stem hole and SKIP THIS STEP!

Please note: For standard rims you must enlarge ONLY the inside valve stem hole of your rim cavity to 3/8". This enlarged hole will help eliminate a bump at the valve stem, making inflation easier. (Enlarging the hole WILL NOT affect the rim's capability to be used with tubes). By omitting the enlarging step you will leave a bump which will make tire inflation very difficult and may damage the Rim Strip

My question are: Is this really necessary? If so, what's the best way to do this? I'm not terribly mechanically inclined and I don't want to make a mistake and mess up my bling bling wheels.

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What about using a file instead of a drill

Quote Originally Posted by Eltbee
    I have Bontranger Valiant Rims non-UST rim brake version built up by Dave Thomas of SpeedDream fame. I just got my Stan's notubes kit and the first thing in the instructions is to:

First Step: Enlarging Valve Stem Hole

If you have any Tubeless Rim (UST, Bontrager, etc…) DO NOT enlarge valve stem hole and SKIP THIS STEP!

Please note: For standard rims you must enlarge ONLY the inside valve stem hole of your rim cavity to 3/8". This enlarged hole will help eliminate a bump at the valve stem, making inflation easier. (Enlarging the hole WILL NOT affect the rim's capability to be used with tubes). By omitting the enlarging step you will leave a bump which will make tire inflation very difficult and may damage the Rim Strip

My question are: Is this really necessary? If so, what's the best way to do this? I'm not terribly mechanically inclined and I don't want to make a mistake and mess up my bling bling wheels.

Thanks in advance
    I read somewhere that people have used a round file to do this.

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Eltbee
    I read somewhere that people have used a round file to do this.
    I had the same concerns, just use the drill bit to make the larger hole,remember only on the inner wall of the rim.you can either leave in the rim tape or take it out and use stans tape but from what I found was either way makes no difference.also when you pour stans sealant in the tires dip the cup back in the sealant in the tire to rinse the small sealant particles from the bottom of the cup into your tire, that is very important for max. tire protection from thorns and such.