mtbr member

Stan's no tubes POSITIVE warranty experience!!

I had very good luck with a pair of stock stans rapid wheels on my SS for a few years. No issues, no bearing wobble, they even stayed true under my dumb a$$.

So when it was time to buy a new bike I wanted it to have the stock wheels be stans of some sort. I ended up with a niner rip9 rdo after a test ride. It came stock with the flow rims on the newer hubs. Since the bike was built with shimano and I prefer sram I had to buy a new XD driver but no big deal, it was $100 but you gotta pay to play!

I ran that wheel set for almost a year. I pulled the freehub to do some simple maintenance before a big trip. Turns out I had knocked the back off of the paw holders in the aluminum freehub. They still worked fine but when I would try to re install the freehub it was a pain to get the paws to stay in place. I managed but wanted to fix it.

I sent an email to stans and they asked me to send a pic of the hub inside, the freehub outside, end of the axle and a pic of the serial number. Sent that off to stans and waited. I wont mention any names of people just in case I get something wrong but the fellow emailed me back, said I forgot to mention my address and brand of bike. I returned the email and waited. A day later I received a shipping number. I figured they sent me a new freehub.

A couple days later I come home to a wheel box in the living room. They sent me a whole new wheel! A brand new flow mk3 and new hub with freehub already installed.

I was thinking about building a new set of wheels and trying some light bike, roval, or DT rims but I think I'll stick with stans for a while. This is from a guy who has built 30+ wheels, ran chris king, DT, shimano hubs. Not a new guy.

Now, I know not every story turns out with free stuff but I think it's really cool to hear stories about people who really ride their bikes and getting taken care of buy manufacturers they trust. I'm not on the stans bandwagon or kissing butt, or on the payroll. Hell I don't even work in a shop anymore so I'm paying retail! But I wanted to show that sometimes cool stuff happens.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    flow mk3
    Good thing it's free.

mtbr member
    If you haven't been let down by Stan's... Give it a week!

mtbr member
    Say what you will but I've had good luck with the rims. Only few I've busted have been from my own doing.

YMMV.

mtbr member
    Save the box, might need it for returning that mk3 back to themn shortly. Tell them to send you some old flow ex to you that will last more than a season I'm not bitter.......

mtbr member
    Op, that's fantastic You still have the old wheel with older Flow rim, right

Don't mind all the negative people, they're just pissed because their newer Stans rims died an un-expected death compared the previous generation rims A little miffed that they're basically living on past reputation, that is not so much accurate now
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    I've had the older flow but not the previous generation to the MK3. I've used the rapid, arch and this flow.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I have had crests, arch, and now arch mk3. Not a problem here. My first crests were laced to i9 hubs. Of all the wheels my only problem was with the i9 hubs (drag was ridiculous). The stans hubs have been fine. Itís kind of like in road forums with all the complaining about Zipp hubs and funny thing my two sets have been flawless for 10 years. Guess Iím the lucky one here.

mtbr member
    Yup, basically you are I bought one Crest to try years ago, could not believe what a wet noodle it was, absolutely useless unless you weighed <140lbs and every last ounce matters to you. As to their hubs, wouldn't recommend them to an enemy, way too many other options in similar price bracket with much better reputation for reliability and longevity

Quote Originally Posted by Unbrockenchain View Post
    I have had crests, arch, and now arch mk3. Not a problem here. My first crests were laced to i9 hubs. Of all the wheels my only problem was with the i9 hubs (drag was ridiculous). The stans hubs have been fine. Itís kind of like in road forums with all the complaining about Zipp hubs and funny thing my two sets have been flawless for 10 years. Guess Iím the lucky one here.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    I dont know how anyone over 100lb ever rode a crest, but they did!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I dont know how anyone over 100lb ever rode a crest, but they did!
    I trashed a Crest rim (front wheel) on the first ride - got pinched between two rocks on a twisting fall and was trashed. That seemed to be a fluke. With periodic tweaks the rear wheel lasted a season or two.

But Iíve had great luck with the Arches and Flows - the EX models. Guess historically Iím not the hardest on wheels but I have never hesitated recommending these rims to people. That said, I have no experience with their hubs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Stans Neo Ultimate rear hub has been great for me. Super fast engagement and no maintenance and I have ridden it very hard for a year. I am on Crest MK3 rims...I got stress cracks after about 8 months of riding on front and rear. Stans had me send in my rear on there dime and rebuilt it for free. I had it back in a week. My front wasn't laced to a Stans hub so they offered me a new rim or $100 off a new front wheel. I chose the new front wheel ($250). These wheels have a 2 year warranty and the way Stans handles there warranty process, I am pretty happy myself. I do not find the Crest MK3 that flexy with 32 hole Sapim Force Spokes. I will say if you pull in a stick the spoke might not break and the rim might deform and get a little hairline crack. These are very thin aluminum rims. (2018 Scalpel Si Carbon 3).