Stan's No Tubes Dart tubeless repair- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    161

    Stan's No Tubes Dart tubeless repair

    Has anyone tried this yet? I'd like to try it but I'm have sticker shock because it's $25, and a refill pack of 5 is $20 ($4 each!). Not sure if it's that much better than a normal bacon strip I'm using now.

    https://www.notubes.com/DART

  2. #2
    Rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    48
    I have one on order from the lbs.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,268
    Just carrying the new Dart with me at all times seems to be preventing flats all together, so I can't comment on how it works for tubeless repair. What I will say is that it has the potential to be a game changer/money saver for me ...if the "creates a new piece of tire" chemical reaction works as advertised. After trying various approaches to salvaging a plugged tire, I've basically resigned to throwing away any tire that has had to be plugged out on the trail. The Dart repair may mean you actually get to keep riding the tire after you plug it.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    7,662
    ^^^ yeah. I like the concept but haven't yet sprung for a kit. It is kind of pricey, but if it works somewhat better/faster/longer it's a small price considering how infrequently I'd need it.
    Do the math.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SoDakSooner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    636
    Ive got the kit, but haven't used it yet. I think just carrying it prevents flats, like Glazedham said. At the price, it should.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EatsDirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,179
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    I've basically resigned to throwing away any tire that has had to be plugged out on the trail.
    That's crazy talk. Get some Marine Goop or Loctite PL Sealant and apply to both sides of plugs (cut short) and you're good.

    Cuts at bead are another story... but those Stans things are probably less likely to hold there.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    That's crazy talk. Get some Marine Goop or Loctite PL Sealant and apply to both sides of plugs (cut short) and you're good.

    Cuts at bead are another story... but those Stans things are probably less likely to hold there.
    Okay, I'm willing to try something to save $50-80. Which one is best?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EatsDirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,179
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    Okay, I'm willing to try something to save $50-80. Which one is best?
    I've been using this stuff with great luck. The tip will get clogged as the stuff cures so throw something like a drywall screw in the tip when you store it.

    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-...0627/206156433

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    161
    All right so I bought the Stans Dart and long story short Iím not impressed because itís so expensive and maybe marginally better than regular bacon strips.

    I had a nasty cut in my Vittoria Mezcal that I had sealed with 2 bacon strips. They lasted for 20ish miles until it started bleeding again and I put a 3rd bacon strip in to try to finish the ride. A few miles later all 3 strips came out and I had to tube the tire.

    Got my Dart kit. Put 1 plug in that spot and it sealed in the garage. Finally rode mtb today. The tire started bleeding after less than 2 miles. Went ahead and put a second dart in. Held well for about 8 miles. Then something came loose and the tire peed sealant and lost all air pressure. I was able to pull the darts out with my hands.

    So I donít think they are much better than regular bacon strips and they are way more expensive. They appear to be a cloth type fabric that is porous and the sealant likes to stick to it. I guess thatís the magical chemical reaction Stans bragged about?

    For this cut now Iím trying EatDirtís recommendation for the marine glue.











    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    161

    Stan's No Tubes Dart tubeless repair

    Duplicate

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    161

    Stan's No Tubes Dart tubeless repair

    Duplicate
    Last edited by tgoods; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:19 PM. Reason: Duplicate

  12. #12
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    10,061
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    I've been using this stuff with great luck. The tip will get clogged as the stuff cures so throw something like a drywall screw in the tip when you store it.

    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-...0627/206156433
    Okay let's go over the steps again, since I've got a tire I need to patch.
    You say you install bacon, then cut the strips short, then apply Loctite marine fast cure adhesive to both inside and outside of patched area? Is that right? Thanks.

    And you've done this repeatedly with good results?
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,428
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Okay let's go over the steps again, since I've got a tire I need to patch.
    You say you install bacon, then cut the strips short, then apply Loctite marine fast cure adhesive to both inside and outside of patched area? Is that right? Thanks.

    And you've done this repeatedly with good results?
    =sParty
    If you're going to go through that trouble, stitch the tear with floss and a lockstitch (suture), then back it with a rubber tube patch. Clean the inside of the tire well, using acetone, then apply glue as normal.

  14. #14
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    10,061
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    If you're going to go through that trouble, stitch the tear with floss and a lockstitch (suture), then back it with a rubber tube patch. Clean the inside of the tire well, using acetone, then apply glue as normal.
    Thanks. I was considering just buying this and this and then patching the tire the old fashioned way. Sounds easier than what you just described. Ya think? Thanks again.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    161

    Stan's No Tubes Dart tubeless repair

    Tried @Eatsdirt fix, working great so far! Held up on a rocky 10 mile ride.

    Iíve got a couple other torn tires I may try to bring back to life as well.

    Thanks!!




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SoDakSooner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    636
    Update, Tried to use my Stan's this weekend on my buddy's tire. I still haven't flatted yet personallyEvidently the cut was too small as he snapped off the carbon fiber rod trying to insert the patch. As luck would have it, the Stans in the tire eventually sealed the puncture all by itself. now I only have the other end left. He said he would buy me a new one, but as I forced the experiment on him, I told him to not worry about it.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    161
    Wow that sucks.

    So far I would say this product is pretty underwhelming and overpriced.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EatsDirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,179
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDakSooner View Post
    snapped off the carbon fiber rod
    Curious, is the diameter about the same as a spoke or a small hex key?

    Glad it's working for you tgoods. Sparticus, as you described it exactly. I've done it multiple times with great results on the type of cuts a bacon strip(s) tends to seal temporarily. Bike parks, copious chunk etc... it's been a permanent solution to a tire that only lasts a few months.

    You surely could clean/sew/patch, but it would suck to have the thread wear through and sounds like a hassle.

    With the "goop" method, I can break only one bead, half ass alcohol clean the area around bacon on both sides (usually installed trailside / still leaking), then apply the goop in a total of 5 min... although the stuff does need curing time to ride.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SoDakSooner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    636
    Yes, about that. Maybe 2mm.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,428
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    Curious, is the diameter about the same as a spoke or a small hex key?

    Glad it's working for you tgoods. Sparticus, as you described it exactly. I've done it multiple times with great results on the type of cuts a bacon strip(s) tends to seal temporarily. Bike parks, copious chunk etc... it's been a permanent solution to a tire that only lasts a few months.

    You surely could clean/sew/patch, but it would suck to have the thread wear through and sounds like a hassle.

    With the "goop" method, I can break only one bead, half ass alcohol clean the area around bacon on both sides (usually installed trailside / still leaking), then apply the goop in a total of 5 min... although the stuff does need curing time to ride.
    Fair enough. I wasn't particularly thinking about the location of the damage; I would typically only stitch up the sidewall on a tire. That said, if you used dyneema fishing line/thread, it should hold up fine.

    My experience with patching the inside of a tire is that, barring significant damage, you don't need the 'radial'-type patches...and if you do, the tire is probably toasted, anyway. The suture would be more for holding the repaired area stable while you patch it, than as a structural repair in the case of the above damage.

    My $0.02...

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-23-2013, 05:08 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-12-2013, 04:13 AM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-07-2013, 07:22 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2013, 01:19 PM
  5. Stan's No Tubes = Stan's no Pressure...PLEASE HELP!!!
    By los in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-31-2006, 10:27 AM

Members who have read this thread: 120

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.