Stan's NEO Hubs- Garbage? Better now?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2017

Stan's NEO Hubs- Garbage? Better now?

Hello all

I was looking around at my different options of for a <500 dollar wheelset that fits my needs and this looks promising...

https://www.notubes.com/major-s1-wheelset

Reading the specs it looks like this is the hub that comes with it...

https://www.notubes.com/technology/neo

10 degrees of engagement is good enough for me. However I am reading reviews (some a year or two old) that talk about how stans hubs are garbage and break easier than anything comparable on the market. I've also read that the newer ones no longer have any such issues.

Any word on if these hubs are solid? I don't want these rims if they are laced to garbage cans.

mtbr member
    The old Stan's hubs were cheap turds. Stan's doesn't actually make hubs, the old 3.30s we're likely chosen brand hubs out of Asia. The neos are still Asian hubs, but out of a new factory.

I haven't seen many reports of failures with the neos. I don't think they're worth the money Stan's charges, but that's more opinion than anything.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    The old Stan's hubs were cheap turds. Stan's doesn't actually make hubs, the old 3.30s we're likely chosen brand hubs out of Asia. The neos are still Asian hubs, but out of a new factory.

I haven't seen many reports of failures with the neos. I don't think they're worth the money Stan's charges, but that's more opinion than anything.
    Can you recommend a better priced wheelset that has as much internal mm as the Major S1? Seemed like a solid value to me unless the Hubs are as garbage as some of the older reviews say they are.

mtbr member
    I'd use a DT 350 hub on a wtb i35. Price is comparable, but I feel it's significantly higher quality.

If you can build your own, that could get you LB carbon rims on maybe a bitex hub. That's stretching it though.

I'll admit to not being a Stan's fan. I don't like the profile or incompatibility with certain tires. The rims are only about $150 a pair, and Stan's charges a ton of cash on top for Asian generic hubs. Not that Asian hubs are bad, they're not, but half the appeal is the low price. Stan's replaced the low price with an expensive sticker.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    The old Stan's hubs were cheap turds. Stan's doesn't actually make hubs, the old 3.30s we're likely chosen brand hubs out of Asia.
    I don't want to derail the thread, but my impression of the 3.30 is not that it's cheap, it's that it's underbuilt for MTB. Stan's targets weight as much as they do cost. Outside of the DT240, I can't think of many hubs in the 230g range that don't sacrifice reliability.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    IBIS 738 offer comparable hub w 10deg engagement, but rim is Asym and 35mm internal. $549 retail and lower weight than the Major S1.. Its a great wheelset for the money and I shopped many options inc carbon at many levels, and many custom build options for alloy - wtb, ARC, Stans, DT etc.. In the end i got lucky and found em as a factory new takeoff by private part so a great deal was had. Jenson or CC will put them on sale for as much as 20% off - no brainer for what they are - wide, asym, reasonable weight and IBIS warranty.

Prior to this wheel set - i ran the Arch MK3/Neo wheel set as it came stock on my bike. No complaints really other than i wanted the wider ID to run as large/volume tires as possible.

Also - it seems previous failures of Neo hubs may have been due to the Stars axle machined to some incorrect tolerances. My bike came w SRAM Maxle light. I pounded the Arch wheel set into rocks etc... and some hard trail riding, no dents in rims and hub worked and looked great upon inspection when removed.

I like the fact Stans offers a high engagement driver option - i've tried to determine if IBIS has ability to work with one,,, but IBIS have never answered my request for info on this topic. That said - i don't really have any complaints w 10deg... and I ran I9 for 2 seasons. IF i had the choice to simply upgrade the driver to higher engagement I'd do it!

I think once Stans goes to the MK3 formula for the new rims, i would be highly inclined to look at em...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Checkout Colorado Cyclist. You can get arc rims with dt Swiss 350s for around your budget. Later when you have some more cash upgrade the internals to the 54t giving you about 6 degrees of engagement.
    2014 Giant Anthem X Advanced 1 29er
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO HT 29er

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I have had two Neo hubs. First one lasted 6 months, the second probably 4. It actually seized up just the other day. As the post above mentioned, they just really aren't made for hard riding. I'm 185 and climbing a ton. I just think they are underpowered for my weight and style of riding. I think if you are light and more XC oriented on short punchy climbs they would work fine. Here in Colorado where I get 5-10 miles from my car/road, I think they are garbage.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    From what I have gathered the hubs they are currently selling are supposed to be more durable than their older models. I'm not sure when they moved to the current form of the NEO hubs. I'm wondering which ones you were on that let you down.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Big props to Stan's for their WARRANTY program. New rear hub on the way!

Early 2017 bike OE with Arch EX MK3 NEO.
    Cracked a Stan's Neo hub today, Sub 1500 miles.
    XC Carbon hard tail (Race / train).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stan's NEO Hubs- Garbage? Better now?-18362473_10155092432260867_183056682_o.jpg  

Stan's NEO Hubs- Garbage? Better now?-neo-hub-failure.jpg  

Last edited by whitfield96; 05-12-2017 at 07:15 PM. Reason: WARRANTY

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    They were the standard NEO not the ultimate. I have never had a Stan's hub last over a year. Best I ever had was a 3.3 on a Arch. I get a pretty good deal on Stan's wheelsets so have stuck with them. There is just so many better options. Buy some Nexties with some DT hubs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Sorry to dig this up, but I had a related question.

Planning on upgrading my old Grail/Neo rear hub (NOT the Ultimate).

Was looking at either the Stan's Ultimate Freehub kit with Speedsync......or go with a new hub altogether, like the Bitex BX106, which is about the same price as the Stans freehub kit.

Are the new Stan's hubs better now?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I havenít had any issues and I put on a lot of miles.

turtles make me hot
    I may be speaking out of turn since I've never had a Neo but Stan's track record would steer me toward just about anything else.

I do tons of builds on Bike Hub Store Bitex hubs. Haven't had one come back yet.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I think I'll pass on the Stan's. I guess was already a little hesitant to begin with anyway.

Thanks all!

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steinercat View Post
    I think I'll pass on the Stan's. I guess was already a little hesitant to begin with anyway.

Thanks all!
    The hub thing is a little weird. There's some hubs that are just trash. Everyone knows it, and there isn't much discussion about kooser and shimano. Then there's a lot of hubs that hit a competitive price point, have competitive features, and are sturdy enough for most users, to a varying degree. Stan's and bitex fall in this category. Then there's hubs that (barring abuse) just last forever. Those hubs get maintained by their owners because the owners have ascended the ladder of hubs and are sick of that shit, which further reinforces their reputation. DT, CK, and onyx seem to be the leaders here, with a quite few more close to cinching that coveted status, but lack the market penetration and evangelists.

For someone like me, whose already had plenty of hub issues, going stans -> bitex is an inconsequential gain when you can get dt350s for 50 bucks more. $50 is meaningless when i'm buying a new set of spokes for rear rim #3.

It gets further complicated by folks willing to throw down for premium hubs that they don't intend to carry from rim to rim. That's just weird.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    The hub thing is a little weird. There's some hubs that are just trash. Everyone knows it, and there isn't much discussion about kooser and shimano. Then there's a lot of hubs that hit a competitive price point, have competitive features, and are sturdy enough for most users, to a varying degree. Stan's and bitex fall in this category. Then there's hubs that (barring abuse) just last forever. Those hubs get maintained by their owners because the owners have ascended the ladder of hubs and are sick of that shit, which further reinforces their reputation. DT, CK, and onyx seem to be the leaders here, with a quite few more close to cinching that coveted status, but lack the market penetration and evangelists.

For someone like me, whose already had plenty of hub issues, going stans -> bitex is an inconsequential gain when you can get dt350s for 50 bucks more. $50 is meaningless when i'm buying a new set of spokes for rear rim #3.

It gets further complicated by folks willing to throw down for premium hubs that they don't intend to carry from rim to rim. That's just weird.

It's funny you mention DT350s, cause I just recently got those with Forza's on my gravel bike. Solid combo! Probably another reason why I'm looking to change my current NEOs.