Stans flow mk3 or wtb asym i29- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Stans flow mk3 or wtb asym i29

Both are 29mm internal. Same price for me at my lbs. I weight 230 in gear and will be on my 140/140 trance. I'm not graceful and I don't pick the best lines. But I try to have as much fun on the downs as possibly. Will be built with dt Swiss 1.8/2.0 double butted spokes with brass nips
    Flow weight 480
    Wtb weigh 570

Plan to run dhf/dhr2 27.5x2.5 also.

Just looking for feedback on what will survive under me.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Bling
    Both are pretty bomber rims. The ASYM rims are nice since they use an asymmetrical spoke bed and a true UST bead.

Stan's rims are proven and have gained a real following. They will not work with some tires but will work with others. It's kind of a crap shoot.

With you being a big boy, the extra rim weight is not going to be a real noticeable difference.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Handbuilt Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm liking the sound of wtb more and more. Weight isn't really an issue for me. I prefer MY wheels (realistically for my weight) to be under 2kg

Clydesdale Gear
    I've had good luck building with the Asyms for Clydes.
    Clydesdale Gear
    www.razorhoof.com

Cactus Cuddler
    I weigh what you do (or a touch more), ride similarly, and my i29 Asym wheel has been awesome even on a stock machine build. As much as I love Stan's rims (other bike runs those), for the price it's extremely hard to beat the Asym rims to me.

Only minor issue is if you run a really long valve stem the angle it comes out at looks odd... that's sum total of issues for me. They build up nice and stout, and with DT Comp spokes you'll be extremely happy overall.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Just built a WTB I29 27.5 rim with Hadleys. Pretty easy build with the asym holes. I weighed it on my scale at 520 grams so not too heavy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Word. I'm liking all of this. I'm convinced that I will pretty much be running 2.4's most of the time but I do want to try 2.6/2.8

Not sure if the 29's will be wide enough for 2.8

Cactus Cuddler
    Proportionally not much different that running a 2.3" tire on a 23mm IW rim (2.8/29 is less than 2.3/2.3)... may not actually get the full volume benefits, but it's not horrible, and for reference this is the setup that Specialized runs on their 6fattie line as they have their own variant of i29 Traverse wheels they had available.

mtbr member
    29s will be great for 2.8's. potentially a better fit than 2.35's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The rounded profile of your tire matters as you go wider with rim measurements. I've got two seasons using the very rounded Bontrager XR1 2,2" Team on 30mm id rims. No way I would go skinnier. The tire will NOT foldover even down at 11 psi.(accidental) where I was getting rim hits galore. The sidewall crumpled and the traction was phenomenal. Don't waste your money on anything under 30 unless you are riding park terrain, high speed and heavy-duty tires.
    40mm inner would be good for a 2.8-3.0" rounded tire. You can use a 30mm but you won't get all the performance possible out of the tire.

Rocks belong
    My 650b WTB Asym i29 weighs 516g and has been bombproof for rear use. I am a rear rim basher and haven't been nice to it.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mbtr member
    I've had several sets of mk2 flows and i'm steadily replacing them with frequency i25s. They're much much sturdier and mount up tubeless better, provided you use wtb rim tape. My weight (215lbs) and riding style precludes me from riding high volume paper thin tires- they either handle like shit or i destroy rims/tires.

FWIW the last 2 seasons i've started building my wheels with straight gauge spokes. I've had a flow wheelset built up both ways and the 10% increase in stiffness is perceptible. I don't feel like 2 seasons is enough to measure spoke fatigue life, but i'm OK with it being theoretically shorter.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov