Stans Flow 29er poor rim weld question- Mtbr.com
    Rollin 29s

Stans Flow 29er poor rim weld question

I know this has been mentioned in other threads - though it hasn't been the subject of any thread AFAIK.

My new Stans Flow 29er wheels (the rims) had very ugly welds inside the rim where the bead should seat. Basically, they didn't grind the welds down like they did on the outside of the rim, and there was a 1/16 to 1/8" wart sticking up inside the rim on both sides.

I got in there with my Dremel and cleaned up the welds, and then later saw someone comment on another thread that NoTubes would replace these wheels with bad welds under warranty.

I'm wondering if there are other know problems with the Stans wheels with the poor weld finish, and if I should have just sent them back to the distributor I bought them from instead of fixing myself? Did I just void the warranty? I have not mounted tires on them or used them yet.

Anyone else who's done this fix themselves have any problems with the wheels months or more afterward?

At Work
    If the welds did their job at the joint, you should be fine cleaning the welds up, that is what They would have done. Looks like your wheel got overlooked at the QC level. Try calling them. Call Stan's direct.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1

Rollin 29s
    I guess my main concern is that there is no anodization over the welded area that I ground down inside the rim where the liquid sealant will be sloshing around. I've seen raw aluminum turn into white flaky powder in moist conditions where corrosion is more likely.

I've been trying to reach Stan's all day today (they say they are open until 5pm Eastern time), but it goes to someone's voice mail each time. No one has called me back yet.

My 29er arrives on Monday so I need to know whether I'm going to run them or exchange them by then.

If the consensus is that everything will be fine, I won't have an issue just running them.

banned
    Sep 2007
    I know Jeffj had the same situation in on a new build on Oct 15th, 2009, and he couldn't get the bead to stop leaking around the weld on the inside. He ended up doing the same as you, with a Dremel and a grinder bit. Sounds like there's a QC issue with whoever is making Stans' rims, or perhaps you get good slag free welds on the insides of Stans built wheels and the rest go out to other wheel builders. Considering that you pay a premium for these tubeless rims, they don't have eyelets, and you can't build them up much past 100kg spoke tension, this is not a lightly overlooked matter. It's a sealing surface, the machining on it should be done on a lathe and cut perfectly smooth on the working surface before anodizing.

Rollin 29s
    Yes, I agree with everything you said.

Seems customer service is also something No Tubes needs to pay more attention to. I left 2 voice mail messages and nobody ever got back to me.

I did finally get my tires to seal against the rim, but I had to significantly thicken up my homebrew sealant with an extra bottle of Slime.

As far as my earlier concerns about the raw aluminum where I ground down the rim, ammonia by itself has very low corrosivity on aluminum, and the small percentage of Ammonia in the mix (in the latex rubber) should be diluted by the anti corrosive properties of the Ethylene Glycol.

At Work
    You could always just paint over the area.

I had to add some Stan's to my rear tire 2 weeks ago, holding air much better now.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have a set of 26" flows that I cleaned up the bead seat area at the weld with a small rat tail file. Then covered it lightly with black enamel model paint. Good as new, and only took a few minutes.

But...I do agree, there was enough material there to probably cause a sealing issue, so this should be addressed at the factory.

In my case it was not worth it to disassemble the wheels return the rims and rebuild the wheels, when a few minutes with a file corrected it.

Members who have read this thread: 0