Stainless steel spokes busted with corrosion!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Stainless steel spokes busted with corrosion!

Why would this happen to stainless steel spokes?

Maybe 1 or 2 times on sandy beach riding.

Where there is crust, the spokes break easily.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stainless steel spokes busted with corrosion!-20190924_170529.jpg  

Stainless steel spokes busted with corrosion!-20190924_170522.jpg  

Stainless steel spokes busted with corrosion!-20190913_205856.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Check them with a magnet, good chance they arenít stainless. If they are, probably a cheap grade like you see on outdoor grills that rust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Checked with magnet. They seem like SS.

Front and rear rims are like this.

On my Specialized with ALex Rims.

Unless something splashed on them........

Hitching a ride
    StainLESS not stain free. Extreme pH, chemicals, rubbing with plain steel wool, will cause ss to corrode. I've seen them snap because someone parked their bike in the garage near pool chemicals.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I found it hard to believe this could happen after only maybe 6 month of use.

But, okay.

Thanks

This place needs an enema
    Beach riding? Ocean or lake?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Gave it to my sister, she said beach sand only......

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    StainLESS not stain free. Extreme pH, chemicals, rubbing with plain steel wool, will cause ss to corrode. I've seen them snap because someone parked their bike in the garage near pool chemicals.
    I've seen it from people who park the bike in the garage near where the exhaust pipe of their car aims. In and out of the garage on a daily basis for years...it'll trash a wheelset.

Quote Originally Posted by VALDANGAB View Post
    Gave it to my sister, she said beach sand only......
    So...near an ocean? How close does she live to said ocean? Salt spray is no joke. It's a fine aerosol mist that carries quite a distance....not talking about waves crashing ON the bike.

Magically Delicious
    Over tensioned
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

turtles make me hot
    Ok... Few things here...
    I believe I see eight gears and QR axles. Also, the spokes are not butted so not high end. I'm sure they're not a high grade of stainless. How old is this bike? ANY spoke will give up the ghost if it gets to be ten years old and it's on a machine built wheel.
    How did your sister possibly ride this bike on beach sand? Those are awfully skinny tires for such activity.

I ride fat bikes on the beach every winter. I build all of my wheels with black DT Swiss or Sapim spokes. . My oldest fat wheelset I believe is seven years old and no issues yet. Maybe the black oxide coating protects better than raw stainless?
    I like turtles

mtbpete
    They are probably galvanized spokes. A magnet will attract very weakly to a stainless spoke.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Ok... Few things here...
    I believe I see eight gears and QR axles. Also, the spokes are not butted so not high end. I'm sure they're not a high grade of stainless. How old is this bike? ANY spoke will give up the ghost if it gets to be ten years old and it's on a machine built wheel.
    How did your sister possibly ride this bike on beach sand? Those are awfully skinny tires for such activity.

I ride fat bikes on the beach every winter. I build all of my wheels with black DT Swiss or Sapim spokes. . My oldest fat wheelset I believe is seven years old and no issues yet. Maybe the black oxide coating protects better than raw stainless?
    All great points... I have a couple of hand built wheel sets that are >10 years old and still going strong. DT Swiss and Sapim are my go-to spokes as well.

I have a few wheel sets with aluminum nipples but build all of mine own wheels with brass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    They are probably galvanized spokes. A magnet will attract very weakly to a stainless spoke.
    A few years ago, the cafeteria at work was having some sort of a contest and the prize was this crappy coaster brake cruiser. It was in one of the store rooms and a can of soda exploded near it and the soda ate through a few of the spokes. The woman in charge knew I was a bike guy and asked me about it. I ended up re lacing the wheels with decent spokes and did the whole make the crappy bike good build.
    I always wondered what those spokes were and changingleaf probably just answered it. They probably were galvanized.

My friend, the house electrician won the bike and didn't take it. They ended up giving it to one of the kitchen workers.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Spokes have an "N" stamped on head.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stainless steel spokes busted with corrosion!-spoke-zoom.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    Over tensioned
    No way. The rim and hub flange will break long before a spoke snaps in half like that from high tension.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    See my post on are their counter fit DT spokes. I have had DT spokes break like this and also a generic spoke with no marking on the head also break like that. I believe they are made by the same maker. Also both spokes had the same magnetic properties. https://flic.kr/p/2efovSw
    "Dish is illogical." Spoke of Vulcan.