Spinergy Spox Wheels: Run away?- Mtbr.com
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Spinergy Spox Wheels: Run away?

My friend and I are looking for a bike for him. He is a strong road rider and is looking for a good FS XC bike to replace his old hardtail. Anyway, he is considering a used Superlight. I rode one for years and loved it, and I think he will too.

One thing that has us concerned is the Spinergy Spox wheelset. The reviews here sound pretty terrible. I asked the shop that is selling it about this, and they said that many of these wheelsets had bad cones (does that have something to do with the bearings?). They said that they replaced them, and they are fine now. If indeed the cones were replaced, will the wheels be OK? Was there just a bad batch, or is this some design flaw that is not going away?

I had a set of RPM Lites, and the bearings in the rear hub were toast after a few months (I think this was a common problem). I replaced them (Ringle sent them for free) and they have been solid for about 3 years. Is the Issue with the Spinergy Spox wheels one that will be resolved with the replacement cones?

Thanks
    Jeff

Jan 2004
    Just get normal wheels: real hubs, real rims, real spokes, real nipples, and you'll have enough money left over for real grease. Ever hear of major crap-outs on wheels built by a proper wheelbuilder? Ever hear of anyone struggling to find special-flexy-g.i.t.-spokes normal wheels? I promise - get some Kings on 819s (or what have you), some WS or DT stainless spokes and brass nipples, and you'll never look back. Your roadie friend should understand!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Kings would be great, but not an option here.

Quote Originally Posted by SDizzle
    Just get normal wheels: real hubs, real rims, real spokes, real nipples, and you'll have enough money left over for real grease. Ever hear of major crap-outs on wheels built by a proper wheelbuilder? Ever hear of anyone struggling to find special-flexy-g.i.t.-spokes normal wheels? I promise - get some Kings on 819s (or what have you), some WS or DT stainless spokes and brass nipples, and you'll never look back. Your roadie friend should understand!
    This is what the bike comes with. A "normal" wheelset is going to be another thing he has to go out and buy. My question is will he NEED to buy a new wheelset? I already know this is not our first chioce of wheels, (or 2nd, or 3rd). But will they hold up with the new cones? He does not have the money to buy this bike and then start replaceing things. Other than the wheels this bike is a pretty good deal (all XTR, Avid Arch Supremes, Easton carbon, all in great shape). I just need to know what we can expect from the wheels.

Thanks, and I do agree with you 100% that a normal set of wheels are a much better idea. I would never even think of buying these wheels if they were not part of a larger package.

Kapusta

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I worked in abike shop while I was studying for my Mech eng degree and we had lot sof those Spox wheel sin for servicing and warranty. They have got to be amoung the worst hubs ever fitted to MTB wheels. I had a rather large riding buddy back then (he's a lot smaller now) and the B*&^)& front wheel broke on every ride.

I am not a fan of those wheels. Your mate may get lucky and have a pair that are trouble free (lord knows, some were actually trouble free) and he'll enjoy the pimpy looks.

At present I only only use wheels with Shimano XTR hubs. These are light, strong and very very well sealed. I had a set that lasted about 6years and both my bikes have the new M965 hubs on them. Best hubs for any hand built wheel as far as I am concerned.

Buy the bike but turn the wheels into furniture on some sort of ornament. They'll be far more usefull and pleasurable that way.

Jan 2004
    Oops! Sorry, I didn't realize we were talking about a package deal. I guess I didn't read carefully enough.