mtbr member

Speedsafe Carbon MTB Wheels

Many of you are probably aware of LightBicycle.com, but there is a new company that just started selling on AliExpress called SpeedSafe with even better prices. I bought a boost 29er carbon wheelset with DT350 straight-pull hubs and extra-light pillar spokes for $731 (1280g) and am very pleased with it. I have not yet gotten out on the trail but will update when I do. They even have an Extralite HyperBoost wheelset offering, which I think is crazy for a Chinese company! They understand weight weenie marketing.

I communicated with Tommy and Salina at SpeedSafe and they are very fast at replying -- even during the Chinese New Year this month. Apparently they own a lot of their own molds. They can make carbon rims for less than $100/pc.

My experience was very positive. Before sending out the order they took pictures of my wheels on scales, packaging was protective and appropriate, and they were willing to leave logos off of the rims for me. Shipping was fast too -- 16 days from placing the order to delivery. Build quality was excellent, spokes are properly tensioned.

I'm still wondering about durability, bc my rims are 310g/pc. at 22mm wide for 29" tires. I'll update after some brutal trail miles after the trails are rideable this spring. So far the weights are what they advertise.

Thought I'd spread the word and I'd love to hear about any other experiences on these affordable wheelsets!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sissypants View Post
    Many of you are probably aware of LightBicycle.com, but there is a new company that just started selling on AliExpress called SpeedSafe with even better prices. I bought a boost 29er carbon wheelset with DT350 straight-pull hubs and extra-light pillar spokes for $731 (1280g) and am very pleased with it. I have not yet gotten out on the trail but will update when I do. They even have an Extralite HyperBoost wheelset offering, which I think is crazy for a Chinese company! They understand weight weenie marketing.

I communicated with Tommy and Salina at SpeedSafe and they are very fast at replying -- even during the Chinese New Year this month. Apparently they own a lot of their own molds. They can make carbon rims for less than $100/pc.

My experience was very positive. Before sending out the order they took pictures of my wheels on scales, packaging was protective and appropriate, and they were willing to leave logos off of the rims for me. Shipping was fast too -- 16 days from placing the order to delivery. Build quality was excellent, spokes are properly tensioned.

I'm still wondering about durability, bc my rims are 310g/pc. at 22mm wide for 29" tires. I'll update after some brutal trail miles after the trails are rideable this spring. So far the weights are what they advertise.

Thought I'd spread the word and I'd love to hear about any other experiences on these affordable wheelsets!
    Let us know in a year- that's the true test.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Another extremely satisfied customer of Speedsafe. I dealt with Tommy who was great. Finishing details are way better than expected. I ordered one rim for the rear and built it up with CX-Rays to a Hope Pro 4 hub (32 hole). My rim was flat and round. It built up wonderfully true both laterally and vertically with about 5% relative spoke tension.

It went on a Santa Cruz Hightower, I ride fairly aggressively and like the chunky stuff, so we'll see how it's holding up by end of season. Updates to come (hopefully the boring kind)!

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    In my search for a nice XC lightweight wheel set from Asia, Speedsafe seems to be a very good candidate indeed. But also the carbon wheels from the socalled brand Larath seems solid: same rim types as Speedsafe, same hub options, same weight, only a little cheaper and with 2 years warranty (whatever that may mean in the real world).

Does anyone have experience with Larath wheels? I can not find any real world reviews. But Larath's contact person is in any case informative, helpful and quick to respond.

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/29er-...a5d22e0eduRKfb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry77 View Post
    In my search for a nice XC lightweight wheel set from Asia, Speedsafe seems to be a very good candidate indeed. But also the carbon wheels from the socalled brand Larath seems solid: same rim types as Speedsafe, same hub options, same weight, only a little cheaper and with 2 years warranty (whatever that may mean in the real world).

Does anyone have experience with Larath wheels? I can not find any real world reviews. But Larath's contact person is in any case informative, helpful and quick to respond.

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/29er-...a5d22e0eduRKfb
    I haven't heard of this brand, but it seems to me that many of these brands simply have a corner in the same factory and handle marketing from a remote location. You're probably getting the same product.

Check out some of the pre-order deals from Speedsafe going on right now, up to 35% off.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Was just looking at preeordsr deals. Almost half of nextie prices. Might take a flyer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    You could just be right.

Look at the pretty sweet offers from Speedsafe right know. I love wider rims (minimum internal width or 25mm, preferably even wider), but can not decide between which version.
    The Speedsafe rim version with external 34mm and internal 28mm seems spot-on, but the extreme height scares me off. 30mm!!! That's at least 5mm higher then the rest out there. Why?

And what about offset rims? Are they really better in everything as they say?

Somebody that can help me desire / advise? Do I feel the difference between a 1300 grams and a 1450 grams wheelset. I'm 80 kilograms, no pro, and ride mostly on typical XC terrain. No extreme stuff.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    In my experience you will feel that weight difference in acceleration. It's less noticable when up to speed on flats, the xc racing I do is a lot of off and on so that adds up. Climbing the same.

That said, a broken rim in a race is a game over scenario so light has its compromise. I'd really be interested if these rims are at all durable. If anyone has input, please post. I see the seller has pics of riders as though they are sponsored.

Nonetheless, on price they nearly half of nextie ultras and premium.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildh View Post
    In my experience you will feel that weight difference in acceleration. It's less noticable when up to speed on flats, the xc racing I do is a lot of off and on so that adds up. Climbing the same.

That said, a broken rim in a race is a game over scenario so light has its compromise. I'd really be interested if these rims are at all durable. If anyone has input, please post. I see the seller has pics of riders as though they are sponsored.

Nonetheless, on price they nearly half of nextie ultras and premium.
    Speedsafe does not sponsor riders. I've asked

I do agree that wheel weight is very important, precisely for the reason you mention.

All I can say is that I've bashed their 310g 29er rims for 300 miles of singletrack and never got the wheel out of true. That's not a real long-term test, but nothing but good to say.

Their 265g 27.5er rims also held up for me over 200 miles of bashing on rigid and hardtail singlespeed over singletrack. No issues there either.

I'm not biased, I just like light weight rims

P.S. did I say that they are looking into a deal on Berd Polylight spokes? Can't wait to see what they come up with.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    There was one other forum I saw where a person broke one of their rims. Or at least that was the claim. I take a fair amount of forum posts with a grain of salt. One off problems are inevitable and likely highly circumstance. That was the only negative thing I saw. Just not a lot of feedback out there with these.

At $135ish, your not out much trying (unless injury) if it doesn't work. Use a good credit card like Amex so if it fails and there is no resolution, you have some purchase protection.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Just a tip to save some weight but marginal strength when you order a set of (Chinese) carbon wheels and keep the benefits of wider rims:

Buy a stronger, wider front wheel (say 28mm internal) and a smaller rear wheel (say 25mm internal). It is the ultimate compromise when we have to believe the new Synthesis wheel series or Crankbrothers. There is certainly a core of truth is this, I think, and therefore I choose this option probably on my next wheelset.

You could even vary with the number of spokes (if you weigh under 75 kg as a rider) to save some extra weight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Got this response from them. Just for those interested..

"The rims are super light with lighter material and special structure.

They are designed for light MTB XC.

Buy them with confidence, because they are made by SPEEDSAFE.

Warranty is 12 months. For warranty, if the rim is broken, you don't have to return, and pay $28 for a new rim.

It is for pre-order now. Don't miss it.

Best wishes

SPEEDSAFE team"

Those berd spokes are crazy light, but crazy expensive. 250/wheel. Would love to try them, but that is pretty steep.

Barely in control
    Berd are expensive because they must be made by hand in a labor intensive process.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Talk about Nextie. I have just noticed that their 'Ultralight' wheel series contains exactly the same rims types / measurements as the almost half-priced wheels from Speedsafe.

This can mean more or less two things, I guess: Speedsafe is the 'real big player' here and produces for several wheel shops, or each shop/brand produces its own wheels but using the same open mold.

Or is there a hidden catch? Such as that Nextie makes no secret of using a mix of T1000 and T800 carbon fiber in the production of their Ultralight wheels and Speedsafe is a bit vague about this. https://www.nextie.net/ultralight-mtb-rims-release

Also, why does Nextie feel comfortable giving 3 years warranty and Speedsafe only 1 year? The Chinese carbon market is so untransparant, which makes it difficult for a customer to make an informed choice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yeah there are numerous suppliers and/or middlemen. No idea how the Speedsafe rims will hold up, but I'll give em a try. These will go on a HT that I'll use for racing on less demanding courses. I have a FS with wider Nextie rims for more burly situations.

I weigh 170 lbs and ride fast so if they hold up, it'll be a least a baseline.

The Nextie rims have held up great to more than 2500 miles of varying terrain so that was where I was going to go to initially, but then stumbled on these from the above thread.

They should consider a different name though. Speedsafe sounds like they are covering up something. Lol.

Elitest thrill junkie

They should consider a different name though. Speedsafe sounds like they are covering up something. Lol.
    Word.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Talk about Nextie. I have just noticed that their 'Ultralight' wheel series contains exactly the same rims types / measurements as the almost half-priced wheels from Speedsafe.
    True!

This can mean more or less two things, I guess: Speedsafe is the 'real big player' here and produces for several wheel shops, or each shop/brand produces its own wheels but using the same open mold.
    Neither. None of these shops (except Light Bicycle) do in-house manufacturing. They all have a corner in a big factory in Shenzhen where they stash their hundreds of rims produced in mass-production runs from similar (or the same?) molds as their competitors. Then when a customer orders they ship that rim to their facility (in Hong Kong or Shenzhen suburbs) and build up the wheel with hubs they have in stock or paint the rim (if applicable). Then it gets shipped to you. Look at their Alibaba ads and you'll see pictures of their factories. All the brands on Aliexpress have pictures with factories that have the same floor color, same lighting system, same racks and same brick-with-broken-windows exterior.

I'm not sure if the use the same molds though, although they may be the same. This is because companies like to license their molds, increasingly so in the last year. But the R&D department will open a rim mold for about $2000, and if you just throw them the numbers you want, they aren't likely to design a mold that's radically different from the designs that they know work well.

I did this personally when inquiring about a 650b fat bike carbon rim mold, I got $2000 for the mold and was suggested to choose one of three common designs. They didn't even like my suggested rim widths (75mm outer), they wanted me to go with 80mm which they had done earlier in 26".

Or is there a hidden catch? Such as that Nextie makes no secret of using a mix of T1000 and T800 carbon fiber in the production of their Ultralight wheels and Speedsafe is a bit vague about this. https://www.nextie.net/ultralight-mtb-rims-release

Also, why does Nextie feel comfortable giving 3 years warranty and Speedsafe only 1 year? The Chinese carbon market is so untransparant, which makes it difficult for a customer to make an informed choice.
    If anyone is vague about this it's not because they are trying to hide that fact. T800 and T1000 are actually stronger than T700 laterally, but are more expensive. If you pay for a premium weight you're almost certainly getting premium material, even if the seller is vague about it.

Warranty is factored into the price, all these Chiner wheels are tested to the same standards and survive the same weight-bearing tests, it's just that Speedsafe has decided to go for a lower-priced market with lower warranty while Nextie is targeting a different type of customers. Nextie has also been around longer and has more offerings.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    It seems that there are many experts of Chineze carbon wheels here, with a lot of real world experience. Can someone help me with a dilemma?

I like wider rims for my XC bike (and take the weight penalty for granted). So my eye has fallen on a set from Speedsafe with a frontwheel with 28mm internal width and a rear wheel with 25mm internal.

However, these rims are quite high with 30mm height. Looks neat I think, but now I read here and here that high mtb rims can be pretty harsh when there are frontal forces on the wheel and you can better choose for a lower rim (max 25mm height). Someone with this experience? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm assuming your bike has suspension? Personally I wouldn't worry too much about height. I haven't ridden a setup back to back with the same manufacturer of rims for comparison, but my guess is that the difference in vertical compliance is pretty negligible. The are so many things you can adjust to make up for what little difference there is that I would say it becomes a mute point. Drop tire psi by 1 or suspension by 1-2 psi, etc.

If you like the width and weight marks, that would be priority to me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I'm assuming your bike has suspension? Personally I wouldn't worry too much about height. I haven't ridden a setup back to back with the same manufacturer of rims for comparison, but my guess is that the difference in vertical compliance is pretty negligible. The are so many things you can adjust to make up for what little difference there is that I would say it becomes a mute point. Drop tire psi by 1 or suspension by 1-2 psi, etc.

OK. Thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member

^^Seconded. The biggest difference is probably strength, since taller structures with a steeper arch can bear more tension and support more weight.

Barely in control
    Height of the sidewall increases both lateral and vertical stiffness.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Hmm... different opinions, different outcomes. So what is truth now: a high carbon rim can be quite harsh at frontal loads (rocks and transverse roots) or this isn't all too bad?
    It does not outweigh the extra strength and stiffness.

mtbr member
    Hmm... different opinions, different outcomes. So what is truth now: a high carbon rim can be quite harsh at frontal loads (rocks and transverse roots) or this isn't all too bad?
    It does not outweigh the extra strength and stiffness.
    All of these rims are tested to standards that we'd expect to have met out on the trail, none of them are going to crumble under you. A good wheel build with properly tensioned spokes is probably even more critical than an ultra-stiff carbon rim.

If you want a comfortable ride and aren't bashing around on big stuff, go wide and shallow.

If you want a super-stiff super-dependable ride for the gnarlies, go wide and deep but your comfort will be compromised.

If you care about low weight, go narrow and mid-depth.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Have received a response from Nextie to some pressing questions about the phenomenon 'same rims, different providers, different prices'.

Brain by Nextie is very open and honest in this. He writes not to know brands like Speedsafe & co, but that there is a substantial chance that Nextie rims will be made in the same factory.

What distinguishes Nextie wheels however from other suppliers, is the very small error tolerances it uses. I quote: 'We receive raw materials in limited flatness and roundness (less than 0.15mm). If about 0.15mm, we accept the wheels back to the factory.'

The higher price of Nextie is also due to the in-house sanding and paintwork. 'And every rim will be attached to the rim's basic parameters, qualified by us Nextie', says Brain. 'The Nextie Ultralight rims come from open molds. But we are selling private molds, designed and checked on (high) quality by ourself.'

All in all a very neat and sympathetic explanation from Brain/Nextie. Not only will you value Nextie more because of this transparency, also their higher price can be justified by this.

mtbr member
    Have received a response from Nextie to some pressing questions about the phenomenon 'same rims, different providers, different prices'.

Brain by Nextie is very open and honest in this. He writes not to know brands like Speedsafe & co, but that there is a substantial chance that Nextie rims will be made in the same factory.

What distinguishes Nextie wheels however from other suppliers, is the very small error tolerances it uses. I quote: 'We receive raw materials in limited flatness and roundness (less than 0.15mm). If about 0.15mm, we accept the wheels back to the factory.'

The higher price of Nextie is also due to the in-house sanding and paintwork. 'And every rim will be attached to the rim's basic parameters, qualified by us Nextie', says Brain. 'The Nextie Ultralight rims come from open molds. But we are selling private molds, designed and checked on (high) quality by ourself.'

All in all a very neat and sympathetic explanation from Brain/Nextie. Not only will you value Nextie more because of this transparency, also their higher price can be justified by this.
    With all respect to due honesty, which is what we can appreciate here, I have to point out that Nextie has just admitted they are exactly like everybody else:

1. They reject rims that are most likely to cause them warranty headaches later in life if the flatness/roundness tolerances (open to interpretation) exceed 0.15mm
    2. Use high tolerances (0.15mm) because the molds are CNC machined to the tenth of a millimeter like everybody else's molds
    3. Do their in-house sanding and painting like every other company online (yes, they sand too, it's easy and makes a big difference in looks). Other companies often apply UD matte finish, but you can generally get whatever you want.

Nextie may have some private molds (not sure which ones) which you can't get anywhere else, but otherwise it doesn't seem like they have anything more to offer compared to anyone else.

A company like Light Bicycle intrigues me because they do everything in-house, and all from private molds. But they don't have the best reputation for quality. Simply put, it's a cutthroat competition out there for these companies, and we can choose whoever we want and get pretty much the same product.

Barely in control
    You have to watch out for Nextie. Some their rims are drilled with no angle in the spoke holes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    With all respect to due honesty, which is what we can appreciate here, I have to point out that Nextie has just admitted they are exactly like everybody else:

1. They reject rims that are most likely to cause them warranty headaches later in life if the flatness/roundness tolerances (open to interpretation) exceed 0.15mm
    2. Use high tolerances (0.15mm) because the molds are CNC machined to the tenth of a millimeter like everybody else's molds
    3. Do their in-house sanding and painting like every other company online (yes, they sand too, it's easy and makes a big difference in looks). Other companies often apply UD matte finish, but you can generally get whatever you want.

Nextie may have some private molds (not sure which ones) which you can't get anywhere else, but otherwise it doesn't seem like they have anything more to offer compared to anyone else.

A company like Light Bicycle intrigues me because they do everything in-house, and all from private molds. But they don't have the best reputation for quality. Simply put, it's a cutthroat competition out there for these companies, and we can choose whoever we want and get pretty much the same product.
    I think you are largely right, Sissypants. But let me put it first and foremost: it will never be my intention to embarrass Nextie (or any manufacturer or brand) from statements made.

Personally, I can generate extra sympathy when a manufacturer does not make its products more beautiful than they are. This is certainly a virtue in the bicycle sector and the origin of carbon parts in particular. People in general are not crazy, they do not let themselves be fooled easily. So it's better (for business and on the long term) to be honest and open than vague and mysterious, I believe.

That said. I don’t know Light Bicycle, but based on your comments Nextie is already ahead of Light Bicycle for me. After all, I personally prefer an 'open mold' rim with a good reputation than a 'personal mold' rim with a questionable quality. Anyway, even better than that I prefer an 'open mold' rim with good reviews at half the cost… ;-)

In addition to all this: beauty is and will always remain in the eye of the beholder.

mtbr member
    After all, I personally prefer an 'open mold' rim with a good reputation than a 'personal mold' rim with a questionable quality. Anyway, even better than that I prefer an 'open mold' rim with good reviews at half the cost… ;-)
    Exactly, so if Nextie's open mold rims are 25% more expensive than the same rims from BTLOS, EIE, and Speedsafe, you can read my mind. And if Speedsafe is running a "no profit" promotional pre-order sale on top of Aliexpress-sponsored Black Friday sales and brand coupons on Aliexpress, you know where my money just went.

Chinese agents are honest and transparent, I will give them that. I wish their American counterparts could learn that from them.

beauty is and will always remain in the eye of the beholder.
    True, we should all get what we want, not what other people get

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Exactly, so if Nextie's open mold rims are 25% more expensive than the same rims from BTLOS, EIE, and Speedsafe, you can read my mind. And if Speedsafe is running a "no profit" promotional pre-order sale on top of Aliexpress-sponsored Black Friday sales and brand coupons on Aliexpress, you know where my money just went.

Chinese agents are honest and transparent, I will give them that. I wish their American counterparts could learn that from them.

True, we should all get what we want, not what other people get
    I do not know if I can ask this here. But hmm... '[...] on top of Aliexpress-sponsored Black Friday sales and brand coupons on Aliexpress'???

Please explain if possible, because I am about to press the same button. However, an additional discount with Black Friday coming and brand coupons is unknown to me and sounds even better than the 11.11 sale of Speedsafe already. Sorry about that, I'm pretty new to this.