Speedplay SYZR?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Speedplay SYZR?

mtbr member

Speedplay SYZR?

I just realized this went in totally the wrong forum. Can I move it?
    Anyone know why Speedplay’s SYZR is currently unavailable? COVID related? Quality problem? I went to print info on them for a foot doctor appointment. They looked like a good way to address a leg length issue. Then I saw the “not available” message at the top of the page. A quick internet search turned up no explanation. Curses, foiled again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You know what I like about this place? They let you hurt yourself.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Wahoo bought Speedplay last year, and has since closed the California factory. Allegedly, some things (but nobody has said what) might go back into production once the factory has been moved overseas somewhere, but we don't know what, when or if anything might happen. Wahoo have said nothing, and cancelled outstanding orders without notice in January. I'm sure COVID-19 hasn't helped matters, but realistically Wahoo have been totally uncommunicative, which sucks. The Syzr Lift pedals were great; mine were on a bike that was stolen, and the replacement pairs I'd ordered were cancelled by Wahoo. I've no idea if they'll ever be available again; probably not. :-(

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by satanas View Post
    Wahoo bought Speedplay last year, and has since closed the California factory. Allegedly, some things (but nobody has said what) might go back into production once the factory has been moved overseas somewhere, but we don't know what, when or if anything might happen. Wahoo have said nothing, and cancelled outstanding orders without notice in January. I'm sure COVID-19 hasn't helped matters, but realistically Wahoo have been totally uncommunicative, which sucks. The Syzr Lift pedals were great; mine were on a bike that was stolen, and the replacement pairs I'd ordered were cancelled by Wahoo. I've no idea if they'll ever be available again; probably not. :-(
    Thanks for that info. I had also contacted Wahoo and here’s their reply, which is in line with your experience:
    “Thank you for reaching out to us and for being a loyal Speedplay rider over the years!

We haven't made any announcements about any Speedplay products recently, so I cannot confirm any updates regarding Syzr pedal availability going forward. I apologize for the lack of confirmation, but we do not have this information available.”

I’m now looking at returning to my Time ATAC roots and adding Crank Bros cleat shims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You know what I like about this place? They let you hurt yourself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Gadget GPB View Post
    I’m now looking at returning to my Time ATAC roots and adding Crank Bros cleat shims.
    That's a solid move, ATACs have been a good choice for a long time. My experience with SYZRs was short, they were well made and interesting and probably have the most adjustable free float of any pedal ever, but they were only good until they got dirty, and it didn't take much to put them off their game. They could be very good if you really like float, the standing on an ice cube kind, right up until they got in the dirt and then they were just random in feel. ATACs shake off dirt and mud like it's not even there, and have fairly consistent feel in all conditions with float that always worked for me. When ATACs got sloppy with their quality I moved on and was happy with Shimanos for a while, I am currently on HT T1s and I'm very happy with them. Mud performance isn't a big priority for me these days and that was the top strength of ATACs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    It'd be helpful if Wahoo would say if they have any intention of making any Speedplay products ever again, and what. I'm not so worried about when, but rather if.

The things I liked about the Syzrs were stability, non-centring float, custom spindle lengths, and (most importantly) leg length compensation. I don't care about mud shedding, and don't get on with SPDs. :-(

If Syzrs Lifts ever reappear (yeah, right) I'll order some, but otherwise it looks like I'll have to machine, fabricate or 3D print some leg length shims since the Frog cleats distort unless the shim shape is perfect on both top and bottom. :-(

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by satanas View Post
    The things I liked about the Syzrs were stability, non-centring float, custom spindle lengths, and (most importantly) leg length compensation. I don't care about mud shedding, and don't get on with SPDs. :-(
    All that was what made me try them, but their inconsistency was a major issue. It wasn't even mud, I never used them in anything but ideal conditions, but it may be that the local sandy soil was their Achilles heel. I could see finer dirt causing less issues, the complexity of the cleat is what gives them their amazing float but is also their vulnerability. I wasn't a SPD guy until recently and they worked a lot better than I remembered. And the HTs are like a better SPD for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'd never heard of HT pedals but just Googled them and read the review at Pinkbike. Apart from the 8° float option they look like SPDs to me. One of the other things I really like about Syzrs (and Frogs, and Time) is that ease of entry and exit isn't totally dependent on spring tension; retention is separate. With SPD (or similar mechanisms) low tension means the cleat moves backwards against the movable rear piece; to me that feels very insecure, whereas neither Time nor Speedplay suffer from this.

Since I'm light, I need to use low tension to have a reasonable chance of getting in and out. With Time or Speedplay things still feel secure, with SPD no way, plus there's minimal/no float. I don't doubt SPDs are reliable, but they just don't suit my biomechanics, mass, or strength. :-(

(Plus I do a lot of non-dirt riding, so Syzrs are sort of a One Pedal to Rule Them All for me.)