Specialized Eliminator Grid Tire- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Specialized Eliminator Grid Tire

I found this tire in 29" 2.3" size at a LBS. I can't find any feedback on the internet regarding this model. It weight about 930 grams and has aggressive side knob and ramped center knobs with two knobs close to center, then two knobs equally spaced, followed by three smaller knobs the bridge the gap from side knob to side knob.

Anybody have a chance to review this tire yet? I looks to me like it might make a decent rear tire to replace the Griffin I am currently running, which was great for about 100 miles of rocky single track before the side knobs started ripping.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Here is a picture of the new tire
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Eliminator Grid Tire-eliminator.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    very interested in this tire as well. I'm shocked to see you found it in store. I was told we wouldnt see it till February

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    what shop is this?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Look what showed up in the mail today. It's a little chunkier than I was hoping for but it's light. Specifically the center knobs are taller than I was expecting. It almost feels like they've thinned out the grid casing a bit to compete more directly with Maxxis EXO. Hope I don't destroy it immediately.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasR6 View Post
    Look what showed up in the mail today. It's a little chunkier than I was hoping for but it's light. Specifically the center knobs are taller than I was expecting. It almost feels like they've thinned out the grid casing a bit to compete more directly with Maxxis EXO. Hope I don't destroy it immediately.

Could you please weigh it and also measure the width when mounted?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I donít have a small scale to weigh it on but I can put a caliper on it

Mtbr Morvs

Specialized Eliminator Tire Review

The package arrived from Specialized asking me to check these out so I rode the Specialized Eliminator 29 x 2.6, w/Grid casing, as my front tire today, Sun Nov 4th (no rain for months), on an Ď18 S-Works Enduro w/Roval Carbon rims. Ride was 19 Mi 2500 vert ascend and 4400 descend in Santa Cruz from Santa Rosalia (Demo) to Soquel Village, mostly single-track, lose, dusty, off-camber turns, some with leaves and/or loamy, some rocky and quite a bit of hard pack with a fine layer of dirt on top to keep it interesting. https://www.relive.cc/view/1946525900 I ran 20 lbs pressure which is less pressure than the 2.6 Butcher it replaced because I just returned from DVille.

I was extremely happy with the Eliminatorís cornering ability which gave me confidence to open it up a bit more during todayís dusty conditions. I could feel my rear Purgatory 2.3 breaking loose in turns while my front held true. Donít get me wrong, I still got the Eliminator sliding a bit but it felt way more controlled compared to the Butcher which I credit the Eliminatorís cornering as a result of an increased number of shoulder knobs and more, what I call ďsplitĒ knobs which essentially creates more, smaller, knobs. The Butcher it replaced was installed in early Oct, I ran Butchers all summer riding Santa Cruz and at every CA Enduro Series race, going through maybe 3 or 4 this season.

First impression is I really like the Eliminator, especially in these dry conditions! It will be interesting to see how it holds up but Iím pretty confident itíll do well after riding other GRIDs with the Gription compound for a few years now. I will do a follow up to this review in a month or so and especially let you know how it feels when we get some rain (hopefully soon!).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Eliminator Grid Tire-img_3141%5B1%5D.jpg  

Specialized Eliminator Grid Tire-img_3142%5B1%5D.jpg  

Specialized Eliminator Grid Tire-img_e3130%5B1%5D.jpg  

Specialized Eliminator Grid Tire-img_3164%5B1%5D.jpg  

Specialized Eliminator Grid Tire-img_3174%5B1%5D.jpg  

Specialized Eliminator Grid Tire-img_e3170%5B1%5D.jpg  

Last edited by JMorvs; 11-15-2018 at 10:45 AM. Reason: added pics

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    here is a link to my first ride impression in another thread. Spoiler alert, its good.http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/...l#post13874247

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Posted this in the other thread but wondering how the rubber was going for you?

Wondering if I shouldn't dial the 2.6 back to 2.3? If I go to this one.

-------------------------------

I'm pretty interested in one of these for South African conditions - Dry n' dust or alot hard / loose over hard and rocks. I've been a fan of the Slaughter as a back tyre for years now but have been struggling with a front choice for a while now. I had a Ibex that was brilliant until it did that thing of looking like there was loads of life left in it but then trying to kill you each ride cos it was past it's sell by date.

It's going on a set of flow mk3's for my evil.

Next up was a butcher in grid 2.6 but i really didn't like the 'squirm' that I got from it on the front when I hit a slab, rock garden or boulder roll. Didn't inspire confidence (buzz... enduro bingo).

I'm on a DHF and to be honest it's fine but it's not exactly speedy and I do find myself peddling in spots here I used to be thinking of maybe reaching for the panic levers. It's fine when you're railing down but for the sections in between it does feel a bit like a hand brake.

Anyone throw any light on the squirm factor?

Mtbr Morvs

Good job!

I haven't had a chance to ride the Eliminator on any slab surfaces yet so no real "squirming" to report. The only slabs I might hit would be in the Sierras but typically between the slabs you'll find the sierra moondust or at least loamy conditions so I assume this tire would still be a great all-around choice for any CA slab riding. As far as tire width goes to minimize squirming I do typically run a 2.3 in the rear to reduce rolling resistance, burping, and said squirm. I run the 2.6 in the front to provide more surface contact in turns and because more weight is distibuted to the rear there's less chance of all the above negative effects. With the increased side knobs on the Eliminator I predict less squirming even with a sizable knob depth but that's purely with a non-engineering background.

The only time I possibly see the Eliminator running into issues is with clay/muddy conditions because the knobs are closer together than the Butcher and Purgatory but since I haven't seen any mud or clay in nearly 9 months I have to shelve my opinions on the matter until I actually have one of substance!!
    MoreMorvs ⚡️⚡️🕹:headphones:

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I use to run the 2.5 DHF 3c. Great freakin' traction but it's just such an anchor, even as a front tire.

Swapped to a front Butcher 2.6. Clearly it rolls better (a lot!) and at first I was cool with the 10-15% loss in traction compared to the DHF but now I'm missing the traction.

Where does the Eliminator fit in to all of this (RR & Traction) for rocky loose dry terrain?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    Where does the Eliminator fit in to all of this (RR & Traction) for rocky loose dry terrain?
    Its amazing man. Rolls very well and cornering grip is unreal. What you're describing is the perfect terrain for the eliminator. Get it. You will not be sorry.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by YOYOHO View Post
    Wondering if I shouldn't dial the 2.6 back to 2.3? If I go to this one.

Anyone throw any light on the squirm factor?
    I cant really comment on the squirm factor on rock slab just yet. I only have one ride in on this tire thus far. Which casing were you running on the butcher? Are you on 27.5 or 29" wheels? The 27.5 version of Specialized's 2.6's is significantly larger than the 29er version. I measured my eliminator 29x2.6 on a 30mm internally wide rim and it measured 2.4". Your flows are 29mm internally so it would be very similar. If you're running 27.5's that big shape could be part of the squirm you're feeling. Also, if you're a heavy or especially hard rider, you might consider using the blk dmnd casing instead. It should be a fair bit stiffer. I've just installed the eliminator blk dmnd in 27.5x2.6 on the front of my park bike. I havent had a chance to ride it yet though so I cant really report on its performance just yet.

Hitching a ride
    The 27.5 version of Specialized's 2.6's is significantly larger than the 29er version.
    nah

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    nah
    promise. I have both sizes. My local dealer even pointed it out to me because I told them I didnt want the huge 2.6 on my 29er that I was accustomed to on my 27.5

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Any update on true width on the 2.6 for the 27.5 version? Looking to replace my 2.8 butcher grid and this got my eye for the rear tire

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Iíll have it this week

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Just ordered the 29er 2.6 and 2.3 should be in next week.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Has anyone mounted a 27.5x2.6 Eliminator on a 35mm rim? Curious to see if it flattens out too much

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I just installed eliminator grid 27.5Ē, in both 2.3 and 2.6, on 29 mm Id rims.
    The 2.6 measures 2.49Ē at the casing and 2.44Ē tread (I hate it when tread is narrower than casing, even slightly)
    The 2.3 measures 2.31Ē both casing and tread. Oddly, the knobs look a hair taller on the 2.3Ē.
    2.6 is 920 grams
    2.3 is 890 g

Hitching a ride
    That's typical. When the tire casing gets bigger they reduce the knob height. It's a total ripoff!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post
    I just installed eliminator grid 27.5Ē, in both 2.3 and 2.6, on 29 mm Id rims.
    The 2.6 measures 2.49Ē at the casing and 2.44Ē tread (I hate it when tread is narrower than casing, even slightly)
    The 2.3 measures 2.31Ē both casing and tread. Oddly, the knobs look a hair taller on the 2.3Ē.
    2.6 is 920 grams
    2.3 is 890 g
    That's unfortunate. I was hoping it was going to be a "true" 2.6 for the 27.5. May have to a wait for a 2.8 to get that it would seem. I am running 37mm ID wheels - so that would get fairly squared off.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I like the 2.3" eliminator on the back, but not 2.6" the front. Side/cornering grip is sub par on a rough, off camber trail i rode, front washed out and almost sent me down on an off camber loose section where other tires (minion) gripped. May just go back to Minion but am now trying a wtb vigilante 2.6" on the front, 2.45" casing 2.66"! tread. It does have transition knobs like the Eliminator but so far side grip seems much better. Burliest tire ive ever run, almost overkill!
    Last edited by dwyooaj; 12-04-2018 at 07:39 PM.
    '18 banshee rune

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I like the eliminator on the back, but not the front. Side/cornering grip is sub par on a rough, off camber trail i rode, front washed out and almost sent me down on an off camber loose section where other tires (minion) gripped. May just go back to Minion but am now trying a wtb vigilante 2.6" on the front, 2.45" casing 2.66"! tread. It does have transition knobs like the Eliminator but so far side grip seems much better. Burliest tire ive ever run, almost overkill!
    I really like the Eliminator as a rear tire. Grips well on technical climbs, brakes well, and corners fine for a rear tire. I am keeping a 2.5 DHF up front. Best combo I have had yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    trying a wtb vigilante 2.6" on the front, 2.45" casing 2.66"! tread. It does have transition knobs like the Eliminator but so far side grip seems much better. Burliest tire ive ever run, almost overkill!
    Not to derail the thread but man I'd love to try a couple of WTB tires, especially a trail boss on the rear. They are just so damn heavy! Even their famously flimsy light casing is 200-300g heavier than the SE4 I'm running on the rear now. I emailed them about this recently. Their response? (not an exact quote) Yeah we know our stuff is way heavier than anyone else. We just dont care. Pretty lame.

On a thread related note: I just installed a blk dmnd casing eliminator on the front of my park bike. That thing has some LEGIT side walls. The tread area of the casing seems pretty supple though. Very interesting build. Again, mounted very tight but I removed my valve core to get a straight shot of air into the tire and it mounted right up with no issue. Not even a bubble. This is replacing a 2017 model Butcher grid 27.5x2.6. Even though that tire was only about 18 months old, you can see how much the grid casing has been thinned out on the latest tires. The old butcher grid was noticeably heavier on my hand scale than the grid eliminator I installed recently.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Not to derail the thread but man I'd love to try a couple of WTB tires, especially a trail boss on the rear. They are just so damn heavy! Even their famously flimsy light casing is 200-300g heavier than the SE4 I'm running on the rear now. I emailed them about this recently. Their response? (not an exact quote) Yeah we know our stuff is way heavier than anyone else. We just dont care. Pretty lame.

On a thread related note: I just installed a blk dmnd casing eliminator on the front of my park bike. That thing has some LEGIT side walls. The tread area of the casing seems pretty supple though. Very interesting build. Again, mounted very tight but I removed my valve core to get a straight shot of air into the tire and it mounted right up with no issue. Not even a bubble. This is replacing a 2017 model Butcher grid 27.5x2.6. Even though that tire was only about 18 months old, you can see how much the grid casing has been thinned out on the latest tires. The old butcher grid was noticeably heavier on my hand scale than the grid eliminator I installed recently.
    Do you happen to have measurements on the BLK dmnd casing 2.6 27.5 tire? Really curious.

I have a 2.6" WTB Trail boss "light casing" on the rear right now. It's definitely 2.6+ at the knobs and ~ 2.5ish at the casing. Pretty quick rolling and supportive sidewalls, though I have already had non-sealing puncture on the tread. Talking with the support team about it now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
    Do you happen to have measurements on the BLK dmnd casing 2.6 27.5 tire? Really curious.

I have a 2.6" WTB Trail boss "light casing" on the rear right now. It's definitely 2.6+ at the knobs and ~ 2.5ish at the casing. Pretty quick rolling and supportive sidewalls, though I have already had non-sealing puncture on the tread. Talking with the support team about it now.
    Clean and sand the inside of the tire real good and install a vtr tubeless car tire patch
    https://www.peterverdone.com/tubeless-tire-repairs/
    '18 banshee rune

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I did not get a chance to measure or weigh it. I will measure before I take it out for a ride though. To me it also seems narrower than the butcher it replaced. Its definitely a tall tire

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by c_trail_biker View Post
    I really like the Eliminator as a rear tire. Grips well on technical climbs, brakes well, and corners fine for a rear tire. I am keeping a 2.5 DHF up front. Best combo I have had yet.
    That's good to hear. I just put a 2.6/27.5 Eliminator on the back of my bike with a 2.5 Vigilante in front. I can't wait to try it out on PNW slop.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Mtbr Morvs

Good job! Eliminator mud review update

Quote Originally Posted by JMorvs View Post
    The only time I possibly see the Eliminator running into issues is with clay/muddy conditions because the knobs are closer together than the Butcher and Purgatory but since I haven't seen any mud or clay in nearly 9 months I have to shelve my opinions on the matter until I actually have one of substance!!
    I'm taking my muddy conditions prediction back... I installed a 2.6 29" BLK DMND Eliminator on the rear so now I've had almost two months riding in semi-muddy conditions and some wet terrain Oct-Nov. I'm pleasantly surprised at its ability to shed mud and the BLK DMND casing seems to grip better on wet roots and rocks as well!! While my companion was running tires with knob spacing considerably wider his tires didn't seem to have the grip I had w/the Eliminators, especially when side hilling slippery stuff. I thought I would have to put the Butcher back on for the winter but I'm sticking with the Eliminator until I find a reason to swap it out.
    Specialized Eliminator Grid Tire-img_3565%5B1%5D.jpgL

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Specialized sent me these tires to test two months ago and Iíve had the opportunity to ride the 29 x 2.6Ē Grid casing as a rear tire in some of the toughest Fall and Winter conditions in the Northeast. Leaves, wet rocks and roots, mud, and some dry conditions as well. The tire performs very well in all conditions - it has incredible braking traction (very noticeable in wet slippery leaves!), it corners well, and rolls surprisingly fast considering how aggressively it performs. The width seems optimal - they measure up less than a true 2.6Ē, but wider than a Butcher 2.6Ē. The braking traction and speed/rolling resistance are the two standout qualities that really impressed me versus other tires (including the Butcher) and have me very interested to race this tire in some enduros this spring. Iím looking forward to trying it as a front tire next.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBOS View Post
    Specialized sent me these tires to test two months ago and Iíve had the opportunity to ride the 29 x 2.6Ē Grid casing as a rear tire in some of the toughest Fall and Winter conditions in the Northeast. Leaves, wet rocks and roots, mud, and some dry conditions as well. The tire performs very well in all conditions - it has incredible braking traction (very noticeable in wet slippery leaves!), it corners well, and rolls surprisingly fast considering how aggressively it performs. The width seems optimal - they measure up less than a true 2.6Ē, but wider than a Butcher 2.6Ē. The braking traction and speed/rolling resistance are the two standout qualities that really impressed me versus other tires (including the Butcher) and have me very interested to race this tire in some enduros this spring. Iím looking forward to trying it as a front tire next.
    Very cool.

I just mounted up a 2.6 Eliminator up front with a light duty Pepi's tire noodle installed.

I had removed a Butcher, which frankly looks brand new after 2 months of use.

I want to see if I can keep the great rolling resistance of the Butcher but improve side traction just a hair.

In the past I've ridden a lot of DHFs, DHRIIs, MM Addix, Shortie, and so on.
    The Butcher has been my favorite out of all of the above for a nice combination between low rolling resistance and acceptable traction.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The Eliminator 29 x 2.6 really hooks up as a front tire. Like = or possibly > the DHF 2.5 3c hook up which was my gold standard.
    That said, it seemed to roll notably slower than the Butcher. Not sure yet as it wasn't my only change.
    Seems there is no free ride when it comes to tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I just raced an enduro last weekend with a 27.5 x2.6 eliminator grid up front and same size purg out back. Got huck Norris dh inserts in both. Rode around 40 miles total throughout that weekend. The Eliminator gripped great, didn't wash out or slide once and no flats or punctures. If I had to say, it probably had less rolling resistance than the Butcher but I think they both roll very good. Much better than minions. I weight around 180 race ready and had 22 psi front and back. Race day was windy, causing me to case the crap out of my rear tire on a double. Absolutely no issue so a big shout out to the grid casing and huck Norris dh!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The Eliminator 2.6 is the best front tire I've ever been on. It has traction at least equal to the DHF 2.5 3C, but rolls better.
    IIt was such a subtle difference looking at the tread compared to the Butcher, but in reality it rides a lot different than the Butcher.

I'm with stupid
    The Eliminator 2.6 is the best front tire I've ever been on. It has traction at least equal to the DHF 2.5 3C, but rolls better.
    IIt was such a subtle difference looking at the tread compared to the Butcher, but in reality it rides a lot different than the Butcher.

try a Ass guy next.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    try a Ass guy next.
    Front what Iíve read the Assegai grips good and transitions into turns good but rolls even worse than a dhf. Iíll pass. If I ever switch up the front itíll be for the Kenda Hellkat. But for now Iím more than happy with the Eliminator.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by agauna View Post
    Front what Iíve read the Assegai grips good and transitions into turns good but rolls even worse than a dhf. Iíll pass. If I ever switch up the front itíll be for the Kenda Hellkat. But for now Iím more than happy with the Eliminator.
    Exactly.
    I've heard that the Ass Guy rolls very poorly. And frankly I have all the traction I really need. Not willing to reduce RR one iota for more traction.

I'm with stupid
    How are these wearing for the folks running them?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    D
    How are these wearing for the folks running them?
    Iíve got about 120 miles on the front Eliminator and 150 on the rear Purgatory. Mostly very rocky trails . I'd say they look dang near brand new still, you can see a bit of wear at the base of the Purg's outer lugs but it's very minimal. I'll see if I can post a pic soon.

Mtbr Morvs

ELIMINATOR Gets It Done... Dry, Dusty, Loose, and FRICK'N AWESOME

I took a trip with my 29x2.6 Eliminator tires to Bootleg Canyon in Boulder City, NV as well as Santa Clara Valley area outside St George, UT which I can say is one of the loosest, rockiest, and sidewall unfriendly areas I've ever had the pleasure of sending it! I used only OrangeSeal w/no CushCore. Needless to say, the Eliminator Tires worked fantastic; they felt at home gripping high desert rocky terrain and I'm extremely happy with their performance. Specialized's claims of the Eliminator are validated in my book!

I'm confident I will continue using the Eliminator as my "go to" tire when it's loose, rocky, dusty, and where grip is a priority over reducing rolling resistance i.e. NV and UT. In CA alone I will use the Eliminator at Northstar, Mammoth, China Peak, Auburn, and Snow Summit/Big Bear, pretty much any trails in the Sierra Mountains. Hope this helps!
    Specialized Eliminator Grid Tire-img_3882.jpg
    Specialized Eliminator Grid Tire-img_4060.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBOS View Post
    I own lots of [email protected]ized where's mine to try?

mtbr member
    My rear Eliminator has been very impressive in PNW slop. Solid cornering and braking with much better rolling resistance than the DHRII that it replaced.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    How are you liking the eliminators so far? im running butchers 2.6 grid front and back and its time for new ones looking to try the eliminators but not sure with the dry/loose conditions here in socal

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JMorvs View Post
    I took a trip with my 29x2.6 Eliminator tires to Bootleg Canyon in Boulder City, NV as well as Santa Clara Valley area outside St George, UT which I can say is one of the loosest, rockiest, and sidewall unfriendly areas I've ever had the pleasure of sending it! I used only OrangeSeal w/no CushCore. Needless to say, the Eliminator Tires worked fantastic; they felt at home gripping high desert rocky terrain and I'm extremely happy with their performance. Specialized's claims of the Eliminator are validated in my book!

I'm confident I will continue using the Eliminator as my "go to" tire when it's loose, rocky, dusty, and where grip is a priority over reducing rolling resistance i.e. NV and UT. In CA alone I will use the Eliminator at Northstar, Mammoth, China Peak, Auburn, and Snow Summit/Big Bear, pretty much any trails in the Sierra Mountains. Hope this helps!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3882.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	349.7 KB 
ID:	1236689

Name:	IMG_4060.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	250.4 KB 
ID:	1236691
    How are you liking the eliminators so far? im running butchers 2.6 grid front and back and its time for new ones looking to try the eliminators but not sure with the dry/loose conditions here in socal

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by cds36 View Post
    the tire excels in loose/dry conditions. I run it in Las Vegas. Never been happier with a tire in this terrain. I only run it in the front. I can tell you from experience that the butcher is not a good rear tire though. You'd be much better off with something like a Maxxis Aggressor, DHR, or Bontrager SE4.

Speaking of Vegas, isnt that photo taken at bootleg canyon?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The Eliminator is my favorite front tire. Wears well also. I keep a spare one on the shelf.

Has anyone tried the 29 x 2.3 version on the rear yet?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Iíd like to know about the 29x2.3 for a rear tire as well right now Iím running butchers 29x2.6 both front and back thinking of going eliminators front 2.6 grid and 2.3 blk diamond rear anyone know what the 2.3 measures on 30mm wheels

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Iíd like to know about the 29x2.3 for a rear tire as well right now Iím running butchers 29x2.6 both front and back thinking of going eliminators front 2.6 grid and 2.3 blk diamond rear anyone know what the 2.3 measures on 30mm wheels
    I have 3 eliminators for 30id rim: 29x2.3 grid 2.37, 940g / 29x.2.3 blck 2.41, 1143g / 29x2.6 grid 2.51, 990g

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have bought a 2.6 eliminator grid after reading this thread but the tire didn't really impress me in anything other than rolling resistance, which is really great. The Kenda Hellkat for example beats it hands down in grip and just rolls a little worse. Now, I don't ride in the desert but don't see how that tire would be better than others there. It's just got a hard, not very grippy rubber, or the tread just lets it constantly dance around.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    3rd ride on 2.6grid front and 2.3bkack diamond rear and Iím really digging these tires so far. I had butchers 2.6 front and back which these replaced and these are much more grippier and more predictable than the butchers. The difference was very noticeable. Here in SoCal we have loose to hard pack and these have been great especially once I got the tire pressure right. At Skypark these things are stuck like glue to the perfectly groomed dirt. Hopefully next week Iíll be able to put them through the ringer with chunky rock gardens at Greer. But so far so good! Specialized Eliminator Grid Tire-e6a6bc53-a941-4d0f-a13e-3cba3b349fc9.jpg

Got rocks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Knyfzedge View Post
    I have bought a 2.6 eliminator grid after reading this thread but the tire didn't really impress me in anything other than rolling resistance, which is really great. The Kenda Hellkat for example beats it hands down in grip and just rolls a little worse. Now, I don't ride in the desert but don't see how that tire would be better than others there. It's just got a hard, not very grippy rubber, or the tread just lets it constantly dance around.
    Which hellcat did you run? I've been looking at the hellkat too but want something that can handle hardpack and lots of rocks to loose.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by desertwheeler View Post
    Which hellcat did you run? I've been looking at the hellkat too but want something that can handle hardpack and lots of rocks to loose.
    Just the 2.4 ATC. However, I don't really have a lot of experience with that tire. I'm currently running a 2.6 DHR II at the front and a 2.5 DHF at the rear. My opinion of that version of the Hellkat in particular is that it seems to do the impossible, it's both ligthweight and resistant, and it both rolls and grips well. Neither of those combinations is really to be found anywhere. Right now I'm just not running it because the DHF is a better size match for the front, but I'm not sure the DHF beats the Hellkat grip-wise. As for resistance in rocks, only experience will tell. Maybe something heavier like a Hellkat AEC or a Maxxis DD could be preferable if there's a lot of that, but the AEC might indeed prove to be surprisingly durable (mine weighs just 844 grams in 29"). I've got some XC Kendas on my rigid bike, with that same carcass, and they have held up in all sorts of terrain so far. Oh, and there is also the 2.6 Hellkat, which has stronger 60tpi carcass, halfway between the ATC and the AEC. It's got the same compound as the ATC, which is already soft enough in my opinion (the AEC is softer and will certainly roll a bit worse). I would get me some of these, or one for the rear to go with the DHRII, if I didn't have enough tires already.

Oh, just to add: I did ride the Hellkat on some pretty rocky terrain, just not repeatedly.

Got rocks?
    Just the 2.4 ATC. However, I don't really have a lot of experience with that tire. I'm currently running a 2.6 DHR II at the front and a 2.5 DHF at the rear. My opinion of that version of the Hellkat in particular is that it seems to do the impossible, it's both ligthweight and resistant, and it both rolls and grips well. Neither of those combinations is really to be found anywhere. Right now I'm just not running it because the DHF is a better size match for the front, but I'm not sure the DHF beats the Hellkat grip-wise. As for resistance in rocks, only experience will tell. Maybe something heavier like a Hellkat AEC or a Maxxis DD could be preferable if there's a lot of that, but the AEC might indeed prove to be surprisingly durable (mine weighs just 844 grams in 29"). I've got some XC Kendas on my rigid bike, with that same carcass, and they have held up in all sorts of terrain so far. Oh, and there is also the 2.6 Hellkat, which has stronger 60tpi carcass, halfway between the ATC and the AEC. It's got the same compound as the ATC, which is already soft enough in my opinion (the AEC is softer and will certainly roll a bit worse). I would get me some of these, or one for the rear to go with the DHRII, if I didn't have enough tires already.

Oh, just to add: I did ride the Hellkat on some pretty rocky terrain, just not repeatedly.
    Iíve been looking hard at 2.6 HK and Nevegal 2, also Hans Dampf and eliminators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    My choice would be a couple of 2.6 HK for sure. The Eliminator might work in some terrain and it's got the possibility of the black diamond carcass, however I have chosen the grid carcass instead because the rubber thickness is the same in the thread area, and against sidewall damage I would be using an insert anyway. I would only use the HD as a rear tire, but there are those who like it at the front.

Got rocks?
    How did the eliminator do on hard pack with slightly loose on the ground?

mtbr member
    +1 Hellkat/Nevegal 2 combination. Been on these for about 6 months now ridden in all conditions. The HK looks and grips just like a Magic Mary but rolls way better. It has better ultimate grip than Minions, and is waay better in wet. The Nevegal is a great fast rolling rear with almost Aggressor grip. So far I've been impressed with durability, the knobbies are still looking new, and casing has yet to fail despite bashing into rocks repeatedly. Also, they both measure just over 2.4, so very true to size. For those who haven't tried them, just do it. You will not be disappointed.

Rides all the bikes!
    3rd ride on 2.6grid front and 2.3bkack diamond rear and Iím really digging these tires so far. I had butchers 2.6 front and back which these replaced and these are much more grippier and more predictable than the butchers. The difference was very noticeable. Here in SoCal we have loose to hard pack and these have been great especially once I got the tire pressure right. At Skypark these things are stuck like glue to the perfectly groomed dirt. Hopefully next week Iíll be able to put them through the ringer with chunky rock gardens at Greer. But so far so good! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E6A6BC53-A941-4D0F-A13E-3CBA3B349FC9.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	520.1 KB 
ID:	1247770
    Just answered the question I was going to ask...if the 2.6 will fit with the Ohlins. I have the same bike, and also ride SP a lot. Trying to improve my time on Comet...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    3rd ride on 2.6grid front and 2.3bkack diamond rear and Iím really digging these tires so far ... Here in SoCal we have loose to hard pack and these have been great especially once I got the tire pressure right. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E6A6BC53-A941-4D0F-A13E-3CBA3B349FC9.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	520.1 KB 
ID:	1247770
    What pressures did you settle at front/rear?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Iím a heavy rider 240lbs Iím running 24 psi front and 27psi rear Iíve been pretty happy with that setup so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by kartracer View Post
    What pressures did you settle at front/rear?

Got rocks?
    How do they do on hard pack with pea sized rocks and smaller?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I just went to Greer Ranch this Friday thinking it would be really nice with the rain the day before but it was completely dry and loose the eliminators held up fine never lost grip on the corners or rocks itís been raining here in SoCal so have yet to test on extremely dry which it will get soon. So far so good for the price right now spec is having a buy one get one half off well worth it in my opinion
    How do they do on hard pack with pea sized rocks and smaller?

Got rocks?
    Yeah thatís a big reason I am considering them again is the price. I was leaning away because they ran small.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Yeah I think the 2.6 are actually 2.4 from and the 2.3 are tru to size from what I remember measuring but the butchers I was running before these had the same issue if you want to call it that
    Yeah thatís a big reason I am considering them again is the price. I was leaning away because they ran small.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yeah I think the 2.6 are actually 2.4 from and the 2.3 are tru to size from what I remember measuring but the butchers I was running before these had the same issue if you want to call it that
    The 2.3 are about the same as a DHRII 2.4, or just a hair bigger. The 2.6 are like a DHF 2.5.

Got rocks?

I just canít get myself the pull the trigger on an eliminator/ ground control combo with how small they run. I really wanted to try them for the price and almost did today, but I want an actual 2.6 not a 2.4

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The 2.3 is the one that is more like a 2.4, the 2.6 is bigger. I know because I have had both. The 2.6 is like a 2.5 at least.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have a Maxxis DHR 2.6, I grant it that Maxxis's 2.6 might not be huge, it might even be like the 2.5, but it looks like a match to the eliminator.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I measured mine but lost the numbers, but according to this:

https://off.whip.live/bike/mtbmagcom...liminator-tire

Here are the weights and widths on a 30mm inner diameter rim, inflated to 1.5 bar:

Eliminator Grid 2.3 ď29 inches : 1.063 gr. Width at center: 62.81mm. Width at knobs: 63.92mm
    Eliminator BLCK DMND 2.3 ď29 inches : 1.199 gr.Width at center: 60.96mm.Width at knobs: 61.93mm

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    How did the eliminator do on hard pack with slightly loose on the
    Excellent. I live in high desert, a lot of loose over hard. They roll well and the side knobs seem to have good bite. The standard casing is fairly light which is OK for general trail riding but it does squirm a little. If you like a stiffer casing for more aggressive riding, I'd go with the blck dmnd option. I typically run maxxis tires but have also always liked the Butcher so I tried this for a rear tire and was impressed.

mtbr member
    For anyone worried about the size of the Eliminator, here is the size of the Eliminator 29 x 2.3 BLK DMND mounted on a Stan's Flow MK3 with a 29mm internal width compared to a 2018 Specialized Purgatory 29 x 2.3 GRID and a 2018 Maxxis Minion DHF 29 x 2.3 (albeit used and worn down a bit). I always thought the Purgatory 2.3 looked really small, but you can see just how much smaller in these photos. The Eliminator is significantly bigger and larger volume. All tires were measured at the widest point of the tire.

Not sure why the photos got turned sideways when uploading, but the widths are Eliminator 2.4455 inches, Purgatory 2.2750 inches, Minion DHF 2.3505 inches.

Eliminator 2.3
    Specialized Eliminator Grid Tire-img_20190723_132303.jpg

Purgatory 2.3
    Specialized Eliminator Grid Tire-img_20190723_130844.jpg

Worn Minion DHF 2.3
    Specialized Eliminator Grid Tire-img_20190723_132533.jpg
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I think Spez tires have always run a little narrow. But I like them for the price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by foggnm View Post
    I think Spez tires have always run a little narrow. But I like them for the price.
    My point was that it's not the case with the Eliminator. It's actually bigger than 2.3 and bigger than the Minion DHF 2.3. The Purgatory 2.3 was smaller than 2.3 though.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The pic above with eliminator has it measuring 2.275. Are the labels mixed up?

mtbr member
    My 27.5x2.6 measures 2.4 (knob to knob) at around 18psi on a 29mm IW rim. To get it to 2.5...I have to air it up to 40psi.

mtbr member
    The pic above with eliminator has it measuring 2.275. Are the labels mixed up?
    Yep, apparently they got uploaded out of order too. I fixed it.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Here is what I don't get: Why is the Spesh Eliminator 29er 2.3 & 2.6 nearly the exact same dimensions when measured on a 29mm ID wheel?

It's my preferred fit, But what's the point?

mtbr member
    Here is what I don't get: Why is the Spesh Eliminator 29er 2.3 & 2.6 nearly the exact same dimensions when measured on a 29mm ID wheel?

It's my preferred fit, But what's the point?
    No idea. I'd love to see a caliper pic with a 2.6. It just seems unbelievable.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    29 X 2.6 Eliminator on 29mm ID wheel somewhere around 24psi.

2.445".

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    The 2.3 are about the same as a DHRII 2.4, or just a hair bigger. The 2.6 are like a DHF 2.5.
    Any knowledge about how the 2.3 eliminator grid would work on the rear with a 2.4 dhr2 front? New bike has triple compound (3C) 2.4 dhr2 on both front and rear and I am hoping to throw something a little bit quicker on the rear.
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    Not sure why the photos got turned sideways when uploading, but the widths are Eliminator 2.4455 inches, Purgatory 2.2750 inches, Minion DHF 2.3505 inches.
    I'm actually surprised, I thought maxxis tires always ran small and specialized tires were bigger. I was thinking about putting the 2.3 purgatory on the rear of my bike since I liked the 2.6 version but that is narrow!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by agreenbike View Post
    Any knowledge about how the 2.3 eliminator grid would work on the rear with a 2.4 dhr2 front? New bike has triple compound (3C) 2.4 dhr2 on both front and rear and I am hoping to throw something a little bit quicker on the rear.
    Sounds good. I have a 2.6 DHRII at the front with a 2.6 Eliminator at the rear right now, precisely for the fast rolling too. The 2.4DHR+2.3 Eliminator are a match too, one I was considering before I decided to get the 2.6 DHR.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Sounds good. I have a 2.6 DHRII at the front with a 2.6 Eliminator at the rear right now, precisely for the fast rolling too. The 2.4DHR+2.3 Eliminator are a match too, one I was considering before I decided to get the 2.6 DHR.
    Sweet! Although now that i've looked at things more it seems like the eliminator is comparable to something like an Assegai so running it on the back (a front tire on the rear) and a dhr2 up front (a rear tire up front) seems kinda weird, even if the specialized is smaller and faster rolling. I'll read more reviews for sure.

But now I am tempted to just ditch both tires to mount kenda hellkats front and rear, I will have to just see how things go I guess.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The DHRII is my favourite front tire, I definitely prefer it at the front over the dhf. I have a dhf 2.5 that I like to run at the rear with the 2.6 dhr, the sizes are the same. Just switched to the eliminator now for faster rolling at some less grip-demanding tracks. I tried the eliminator at the front and although it slid controllably, the grip was less than any of these other options. The fast rolling makes it a good rear tire, I'm finding out now how far I can cope with the not as strong grip from its harder rubber. The hellkats are a good option for sure, I have a 2.4 and would like to give the 2.6 a try at either end. Grips great, rolls pretty good. None of these tires are front or rear specific.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I pushed the front at high speed on my Eliminator and positively ate sh*t today.
    It's a fast tire but it's fairly easy to override it.
    Was flying though.

Hitching a ride
    I pushed the front at high speed on my Eliminator and positively ate sh*t today.
    Get any video?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    mine was 2.45 as well. But knowing specialized tires, I didn't expect it to be true to size. To me a 2.4-2.5 tire is perfect. Anything bigger feels vague. If you really want a 2.6 tire, the Schwalbe tires are more true to size.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    The DHRII is my favourite front tire, I definitely prefer it at the front over the dhf. I have a dhf 2.5 that I like to run at the rear with the 2.6 dhr, the sizes are the same. Just switched to the eliminator now for faster rolling at some less grip-demanding tracks. I tried the eliminator at the front and although it slid controllably, the grip was less than any of these other options. The fast rolling makes it a good rear tire, I'm finding out now how far I can cope with the not as strong grip from its harder rubber. The hellkats are a good option for sure, I have a 2.4 and would like to give the 2.6 a try at either end. Grips great, rolls pretty good. None of these tires are front or rear specific.
    Thanks for your feedback as that's good to hear, it sounds like an eliminator is a top option for me to use as a rear tire that's faster than the dhr2 and that is very capable yet won't overpower the front dhr2.

Have you ever tried a 2.4 dhr2 on your bike? I am wondering if the 2.3 eliminator will be similar in size or if the dhr2 will be much bigger, I have always considered Maxxis tires to run narrower while specialized tires ran wider and I have always heard that 2.3 specialized were designed to work on 30mm rims.So, if the dhr2 runs small and the eliminator runs big, then maybe there won't be a huge volume difference between the two. I'm still surprised that the purgatory is narrower than a 2.3 dhf on the same rim and I'm assuming with the same pressure a few posts above.

And I think one day I still may post a thread in the tires section asking what people's favorite tires to use on the rear are with a 2.4dhr2 front as there are so many options I am considering. There's the 2.3 eliminator and purgatory, 2.35 nobby nic, a semi slick (2.4 kenda helldiver or 2.3 specialized slaughter), maxxis 2.4 rekon, a 2.35 hans damph, and probably another tire or two that I am forgetting. After being stuck with fitting a max size of 2.3 minions on my previous bike, the new bike opens up a world of possibilities.

Was flying though.

Ouch! It sounds like this tire is more fast than grippy in that case.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    From my 26" days, the 2.4 dhr at the front was a constant, and at the rear my favourite was a 2.3 aggressor DD (the fast roller, but still grippy in most conditions), which could be switched for a 2.4 high roller for loose terrain or a 2.4 Der Baron for the wet. I was really well served with that set of tires. Then when I moved to 29" I took a while to find the favourites. I'm happy with the 2.6 dhr now, should be getting a 2.5 aggressor to match it but have been delaying the purchase. I had the 2.4 29" dhr before, which was great, but there is no 2.4 high roller in 29", only 2.3 and 2.5. I had it with a 2.4 Der Baron but the 29" 2.4 Der Baron has more volume than the 26" one did, and it was bigger than the dhr. Still it was a good combo, despite the size difference, which wasn't noticed when riding. Size-wise it was a better match for the 2.6 dhr, a fine match, and the 29" Der Baron handled loose terrain better than the 26" one, and better than the 29" 2.5 dhf. Not the fastest roller but grip is really great overall. I ordered a 2.3 eliminator, measured it and returned it. Both it and the 2.4 hellkat are a match for the 2.4 dhr regarding width at the exterior projection of the knobs, though their carcasses may be a hair larger, making the tire look slightly bigger visually. But it's more of a slight visual thing, and even if they were bigger the dhr is very grippy and handles larger tires at the rear just fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Interesting that you also liked the 2.3 aggressor, I have used the 2.3 dhf/ 2.3 aggressor (both exo) on my 29er for quite some time now and its kind of the perfect tire for my dry conditions but it is also on the small side (mounted on 23mm internal width rims) and I would actually give up a bit of speed for more grip in this case. I rode at least 2 yeti bikes that had a 2.5 dhf front/ 2.3 aggressor rear on 30mm rims and the profile was definitely different (better, I think) then and I think that the 2.3 aggressor on my incoming bike with 30mm rims would be less rounded and thus have more grip. Still, the tire would be low volume and maybe not with the greatest grip, I can ride more aggressive than my 2.3 dhf/ aggressor combo and wheels allow for and that's on what is basically an XC bike. Otherwise the aggressor has an okay weight, climbs good, rolls quickly enough, corners pretty good, is durable, lasts long, brakes good enough, and even does surprisingly well in somewhat wetter/ looser conditions.

I didn't like the 2.5 aggressor as much so I probably wouldn't upsize to it especially considering as i'd have to go up to a 2.5 assegai or something out front in that case when I want to just try the 2.4 dhr2 up front for now. So, it will be time to experiment with an eliminator or something else on the rear that is a bit grippier and bigger than the 2.3 aggressor yet not as slow as a dhr2. Something in that range will work, and there are plenty of options.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Get any video?
    Of me sobbing afterwards? Unfortunately, no.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    mine was 2.45 as well. But knowing specialized tires, I didn't expect it to be true to size. To me a 2.4-2.5 tire is perfect. Anything bigger feels vague. If you really want a 2.6 tire, the Schwalbe tires are more true to size.
    Agree 100% with you that a front 29er tire (I feel like 27.5s need wider tires to equal the traction of a 29er in general) should be in the 2.45" range to perform well.

Just don't get why does the 2.3 AND the 2.6 measure essentially exactly the same width.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Interesting that you also liked the 2.3 aggressor, I have used the 2.3 dhf/ 2.3 aggressor (both exo) on my 29er for quite some time now and its kind of the perfect tire for my dry conditions but it is also on the small side (mounted on 23mm internal width rims) and I would actually give up a bit of speed for more grip in this case. I rode at least 2 yeti bikes that had a 2.5 dhf front/ 2.3 aggressor rear on 30mm rims and the profile was definitely different (better, I think) then and I think that the 2.3 aggressor on my incoming bike with 30mm rims would be less rounded and thus have more grip. Still, the tire would be low volume and maybe not with the greatest grip, I can ride more aggressive than my 2.3 dhf/ aggressor combo and wheels allow for and that's on what is basically an XC bike. Otherwise the aggressor has an okay weight, climbs good, rolls quickly enough, corners pretty good, is durable, lasts long, brakes good enough, and even does surprisingly well in somewhat wetter/ looser conditions.

I didn't like the 2.5 aggressor as much so I probably wouldn't upsize to it especially considering as i'd have to go up to a 2.5 assegai or something out front in that case when I want to just try the 2.4 dhr2 up front for now. So, it will be time to experiment with an eliminator or something else on the rear that is a bit grippier and bigger than the 2.3 aggressor yet not as slow as a dhr2. Something in that range will work, and there are plenty of options.
    On rear tires, I have lots of experience on several models including the 2.5 Aggressor (solid but poor rolling, they should have made a 2.4) but I've never actually tried the Aggressor 2.3 and I've had one on the shelf for like 6 months. Maybe I'll try it next.

However I did get a good hard fast ride on my new Schwalbe Rock Razor and wholly heck that is a really fast tire and it hooks up just fine when leaned over, in fact better than fine. The downside, which I guess is obvious, is that I had 2 steep climbs that are really challenging that I clear 90% of the time, often by standing and cranking (usually on an HD2 lately) and on the Rock Razor I spun out and ended up walking. We also have some really steep descents in places where your speed can get out of control if you can't use your rear brake and I'm not certain my rear brake would do enough on a Rock Razor although it feels completely normal on flattish trails.

You guys really should check that tire out and it can be ordered for much less money overseas (long delivery time) from either BikeInn or R2.

When I got to the end of my ride and I had the long climb out I'm usually beat, but on that Rock Razor I zipped up the long climb on a 90 degree day (covered in blood from my earlier front end washout) more easily than ever before. Significant difference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    My experience with the Rock Razor and a few others made me wary of semi-slick type tires. It's not just the braking that suffers. There can be good side grip at times but it can also fail unexpectedly and unrecoverably. I've had crashes on a Mavic Crossmax Quest XL and on a Kenda BBG because of this. The concept is enticing and I insisted on using such tires because they can indeed work but I had to give it up. An aggressor is the closest I will get to a lower center thread tire. Well to be fair, the center thred of the regular, non-ss e*13 tires is not higher than the aggressor's but they definitely roll worse. I think it's the combination of a larger carcass, aggressive side knobs, and the rubber at the center thread may also be slightly softer on the e*13's.

mtbr member

2.445".

Interesting. Must be all in the tire volume. Maybe it's more balloon-like than the 2.3. I didn't measure height, but that would be an interesting comparison.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    On rear tires, I have lots of experience on several models including the 2.5 Aggressor (solid but poor rolling, they should have made a 2.4) but I've never actually tried the Aggressor 2.3 and I've had one on the shelf for like 6 months. Maybe I'll try it next.

However I did get a good hard fast ride on my new Schwalbe Rock Razor and wholly heck that is a really fast tire and it hooks up just fine when leaned over, in fact better than fine. The downside, which I guess is obvious, is that I had 2 steep climbs that are really challenging that I clear 90% of the time, often by standing and cranking (usually on an HD2 lately) and on the Rock Razor I spun out and ended up walking. We also have some really steep descents in places where your speed can get out of control if you can't use your rear brake and I'm not certain my rear brake would do enough on a Rock Razor although it feels completely normal on flattish trails.

You guys really should check that tire out and it can be ordered for much less money overseas (long delivery time) from either BikeInn or R2.

When I got to the end of my ride and I had the long climb out I'm usually beat, but on that Rock Razor I zipped up the long climb on a 90 degree day (covered in blood from my earlier front end washout) more easily than ever before. Significant difference.
    I too am wary of semi-slick tires for the same reasons that Knyfzedge listed, although I rode a stumpjumper with the slaughter before (their semi-slick) and was surprised at how well it worked. I may try it in the future but for now I am cautious.

Regarding the 2.3 aggressor, yeah its a pretty good tire that is hard to find a fault with except there are some aspects where its just good but not great. Its a perfect combo with a 2.3 dhf front really, it loses traction before the dhf so that you can have a manageable drift and avoid wiping out when the bike is pushed to the limit. At the same time, it keeps up well with the dhf unlike if you had a super grippy front tire and were dragging a low-grip XC tire behind you.

I wish specialized had a tire-ranking chart like maxxis and schwalbe do that shows relative rolling resistance, cornering grip, etc. so I could at least decide if I wanted to go for a butcher, slaughter, purgatory, etc. Maybe there is a chart out there that I am not aware of.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    So with both sizes ending up around 2.4Ē, is there any benefit to going with one over the other? Asking as 2.3s seem to be discounted at the moment.
    Last edited by jasonp22; 08-02-2019 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Spelling

Rides all the bikes!
    I measured my Eliminator Black Diamond 2.6 on my stock (29mm) wheel at almost exactly 2.6. Measured the Butcher Grid 2.6 on my new Flow (29mm) at 2.6. And measured the Butcher Grid 2.3 on the other new Flow at almost exactly 2.3.

All tires have a decent amount of miles on them, so fully stretched. Measured at the widest point.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonp22 View Post
    So with both sizes ending up around 2.4Ē, is there any benefit to going with one over the other? Asking as 2.3s seem to be discounted at the moment.
    Assuming that in fact the 2.6 is higher volume you can run it lower pressure and should have a better profile on a wide rim. The narrower tire might feel more precise. I personally like a narrower tire with a stiff sidewall/thicker casing on the back makes the tire feel more like it cuts the dirt. So a blck dmnd casing in 2.3 would be my choice for a rear tire.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    I measured my Eliminator Black Diamond 2.6 on my stock (29mm) wheel at almost exactly 2.6. Measured the Butcher Grid 2.6 on my new Flow (29mm) at 2.6. And measured the Butcher Grid 2.3 on the other new Flow at almost exactly 2.3.

All tires have a decent amount of miles on them, so fully stretched. Measured at the widest point.
    Yes, the 2.6 Eliminator is accurately sized (named). Visually it even looks bigger than my 2.6 DHRII, though it might measure the same. The 2.3 is a 2.4, it proportionally relates to my 2.4 DHR in the same way. The 2.6 DHR is the same size as a 2.5 DHF though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Just did some measurements, the carcasses of the 2.6 Eliminator and the 2.6 DHRII are both 2.56". The exterior projection of the outermost knobs is 2.56" on the DHR and 2.47 on the Eliminator. Don't have the 2.5 DHF installed but it must be the same carcass as the 2.6 DHR. The Eliminator might look bigger than the DHR because it has more rubber on the sides, whereas on the DHR only every other knob protrudes more.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Was flying though.

This accident really hurt me. I ended up getting infected from my injuries and at the local clinic getting antibiotic shots, etc..

Anyways so after nearly 10 days I was finally on the mend so went back out on the bike. Same bike, 3rd ride on the new Eliminator, but this was my 2nd Eliminator so I have had plenty of experience on this tire.

It was pushing way before my rear tire would let go, and I realized I had fallen out of love with the Eliminator. Then 2 things occurred to me that had changed since the first Eliminator I had ran (and one of them is a huge factor):
    1) The trails were more bone dry than usual.
    2) This is the big one, I had been running a Pepi's tire insert up front on the previous Eliminator. I decided to not reinstall it because maintenance is such a chore with tire inserts as the constant outward pressure fuses the bead to the wheel.

I think this tire is flimsy enough that with my riding style it needs the tire insert to stay put through the turns.

Not sure of my next step. I could reinstall a nearly new MSC Gripper I have on the shelf (great tire, but rolls considerably slower), I could up my air pressure from a pretty low 20 psi (a low pressure I settled on while running the inserts), or I could reinstall the Pepi's noodle.

Hitching a ride
    That sucks, Suns. Hope you feel better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks for the kind words. I was irresponsible with a fairly deep wound and it made me quite sick for a couple of days. The bones inside my leg hurt due to the infection. I'll do better in the future. Good news is, I appear to be fine, minus hideous shins.
    So I threw the Pepi's in up front (I always run one in the rear). I'll report back any noticeable handling difference. I'm pretty consistent thru the turns and should be able to tell quite quickly.
    Also, I sprayed the tire beads with tire dressing (Armour All shiny stuff) hoping this will prevent the absolute fusing of the tire beads to the rim when I run inserts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I did ride last night and sure enough, with the Pepi's noodle now installed up front both ends of the bike drift much more predictably, right at dead even actually.

It wasn't a complete test however as overnight rain had tacked up the trails pretty nicely. Will report back when I get some more ride time, which will be a bit cause it's 100+ degrees this week here with high humidity. Terrible riding conditions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Still loving my eliminator. Dare I say it has better traction than a DHR? I put a 2.3 on the rear of a new bike and it measured exactly 2.3, my 2.6 still is measuring 2.45. I have been very surprised at how well these dig in...and I live where loose defines the term. My 2.6 is going to be swapped out for another 2.6 with blck dmnd casing, I'll post the width of that one in the next few days.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Still loving my eliminator. Dare I say it has better traction than a DHR? I put a 2.3 on the rear of a new bike and it measured exactly 2.3, my 2.6 still is measuring 2.45. I have been very surprised at how well these dig in...and I live where loose defines the term. My 2.6 is going to be swapped out for another 2.6 with blck dmnd casing, I'll post the width of that one in the next few days.

Yep I'm really loving the tires as well. I'll be sticking with these from here on out. I'll be changing my grid 2.6 to the Black Diamond as well. The have preformed really well with everything I have thrown at them and they are showing little wear so far.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Any updates comparing the 2.6 eliminator grid to the 2.6 butcher grid? The release article on pinkbike says (I think) that the butcher is better for drier, compacted, hardpack trails but other articles say the eliminator excels everywhere. For norcal riding, the butcher is tempting but the eliminator seems to be kind of like an assegai where there is a smooth transition from the center to side knobs and the butcher is obviously a DHF clone.

I currently have the 29er 2.4 DHR2 3c exo front and rear on my bike on 30mm rims and like the combo, but a 2.6 butcher is actually a tiny bit less weight and around 2.45 inches wide it seems so its a bit bigger than the dhr2 should be, so the 2.6 butcher is a good choice to consider on the front of my bike. I want to try some maxxis dissectors but it will be a few months before they become available so I am considering throwing a 2.6 butcher or eliminator upfront (reviews say eliminator is a bit faster than the butcher, spec website doesn't list the weight but I am guessing its the same as the butcher too) and something else on the rear (keep the dhr2 or go with a dissector when it becomes available). Another option besides the butcher, eliminator, and dissector is the Kenda hellkat but I just read some reviews and it sounds like it will be a bit less secure in the corners than my dhr2s for the trails I ride. If I was on looser trails though the hellkat would be a pretty obvious choice to go with.

I actually rode a few bikes with 2.3 and 2.6 butchers and always liked them, especially the 2.6 butcher on 30mm rims on the stumpjumper. There's just so many good options I am not sure which one to go with. My DHR2s will hold up for awhile more so I do have time to decide, but after that IDK.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I've used those 2 tires back to back on dry hardpack with lots of rocks. The Eliminator clearly works better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Black diamond 29x2.6 same as grid, 2.45. switched to bd today for dh.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I've used those 2 tires back to back on dry hardpack with lots of rocks. The Eliminator clearly works better.

I totally agree. Although Specialized says the Butcher is better for hard pack I experienced the opposite. I always liked the Butcher but hard cornering on hard pack I could feel the side knobs lay over a bit. I LOVED it however, while racing the Scott Enduro at Angel Fire because the trails had become very loose and deep and the Butchers dug in hard. Running the Terrene Chunk 2.6 light up front right now and love it. Purgatory rear, had previously moved the Eliminator to the rear with the chunk up front. It was faster but had less climbing grip than the Purg.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Hmm in that case I shouldn't have anything to worry about, I'm getting upgrade fever about throwing an eliminator upfront on my bike now but i'll just have to wait until I wear out my current tires. The butcher is basically a DHF and those are the king of all front tires for my conditions so I would expect the butcher to be better but I like that the eliminator is even quicker rolling and big but not too big.

The specialized website cut off the weight for the 29x2.6 version but based on the other models I am assuming it is the same as the weight of the butcher which is less than the 2.4 maxxis dhr2 3C EXO which is a good thing.

Rides all the bikes!
    I've been running the 2.6/2.3 Butcher combo at Snow Summit and pretty happy. But I will swap the 2.6 Eliminator on for the upcoming enduro, and might put a 2.3 Slaughter I have on back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    This will be my last post here most likely. I finally threw on the 2.6 and 2.4 Kenda Hellkats Iíve had on deck. Blows all others out of the water, Spesh, Maxxis, Terrene. Slightly slower rolling overall but the insane grip around corners made me waaay faster overall. Iíve found my keepers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    This will be my last post here most likely. I finally threw on the 2.6 and 2.4 Kenda Hellkats Iíve had on deck. Blows all others out of the water, Spesh, Maxxis, Terrene. Slightly slower rolling overall but the insane grip around corners made me waaay faster overall. Iíve found my keepers.
    Even in dry terrain (hardpack and/ or dusty) you still prefer the Kendas over a 2.6 eliminator? The weight of the eliminator is definitely a bonus for me over the hellkat and would be better to climb with but insane front tire grip would be nice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have switched the rear tire very recently, from an Eliminator to a Hellkat. Grip is certainly better in all conditions. Awesome traction on steep loose over hardpack climbs. Weight is lower, the 29" ATC version weighs only 844 grams. Rolling resistance is very good for the grip it has, I'd say it is comparable to the Eliminator's or just a tiny bit worse. Definitely better than any DHR or DHF.

Slightly slower rolling overall but the insane grip around corners made me waaay faster overall.
    What version do you have? ATC? AEC? AGC?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Even in dry terrain (hardpack and/ or dusty) you still prefer the Kendas over a 2.6 eliminator? The weight of the eliminator is definitely a bonus for me over the hellkat and would be better to climb with but insane front tire grip would be nice.
    Yeah what casing? My 2.4 ATC weighs 852 grams. Didnít weigh the 2.6 but Iíd say itís 50-60 grams more. The Eliminator Grid came in at mid 900s if I remember correctly. Again, I really liked the Spesh tires but the Kendas sidewalls are noticeably tougher but somehow theyíre lighter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Yeah what casing? My 2.4 ATC weighs 852 grams. Didnít weigh the 2.6 but Iíd say itís 50-60 grams more. The Eliminator Grid came in at mid 900s if I remember correctly. Again, I really liked the Spesh tires but the Kendas sidewalls are noticeably tougher but somehow theyíre lighter.
    The eliminator grid was the casing I was looking at vs the ATC for the kenda (both 29er). There is apparently a 2.6 version of the Hellkat ATC but it is over 1000 grams which is roughly around 100g more than the 2.6 eliminator.

My rear tire is wearing down while my front is in good shape so I am looking to throw my current 2.4 front tire on the rear of my bike and put a different tire on the front. I was considering the 2.6 eliminator because it is reasonably light with decent volume (I think, 2.45 is good for me!) but I am definitely taking a second look at the Hellkat. I would eventually need a new rear tire too but that is going to be awhile. I could potentially end up with 2.6 eliminator front/ 2.4 Hellkat rear eventually, or maybe a 2.4 maxxis dissector rear or even a 2.3 butcher or eliminator to go all specialized.

Biggest reason for switching to a different front tire is to get more volume upfront with good cornering grip but without getting too heavy or slow rolling. Especially at this time of year, trails are starting to get rutted and blown-out so the extra volume of a 2.6 front tire would improve my riding quite a bit I think.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The Eliminator 2.6 at the front is a decent enough all-mountain tire but doesn't offer as much grip as a Maxxis 3C DHR or DHF, or as the Hellkat 2.4 ATC. When it slides out it does so kind of controllably but the limit is reached earlier. The combo I'm going to try now is an ATC hellkat at the rear and an AEC at the front. I wouldn't normally put the more reinforced tire at the front but it's not that heavy, and may well be the lightest tire available that offers that level of grip. And the ATC is suspiciously light for a rear tire but I will see how it copes. If you want something big, good rolling and grippy, the 2.6 DHR II I was running before is also a good option. The size is actually the same as a 2.5 DHF, and quite similar to the 2.6 Eliminator. The weight is very low for its size (970 grams).

Got rocks?
    The hellkat 2.6 also measures out at 2.66 vs the 2.45 of the eliminators so that another thing to consider.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yeah the 2.6 Hellkat is pretty huge so I gave up on it as a rear option. Otherwise it would be good because it combines the good rolling ressistance of the ATC version with a supposedly stronger casing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I intend to try the Tioga Edge 22 next. It has some pretty outstanding reviews and a true 2.5" width is about where I like to be.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    The Eliminator 2.6 at the front is a decent enough all-mountain tire but doesn't offer as much grip as a Maxxis 3C DHR or DHF, or as the Hellkat 2.4 ATC. When it slides out it does so kind of controllably but the limit is reached earlier. The combo I'm going to try now is an ATC hellkat at the rear and an AEC at the front. I wouldn't normally put the more reinforced tire at the front but it's not that heavy, and may well be the lightest tire available that offers that level of grip. And the ATC is suspiciously light for a rear tire but I will see how it copes. If you want something big, good rolling and grippy, the 2.6 DHR II I was running before is also a good option. The size is actually the same as a 2.5 DHF, and quite similar to the 2.6 Eliminator. The weight is very low for its size (970 grams).
    Hmm good points especially with the 2.6 dhr2, I have the 2.4 dhr2 front and rear currently but I didn't realize the 2.6 weighs the same, the maxxis website shows its actually 5 grams less weight than the 2.4! In fact I forgot that there was even a 2.6 dhr2. Assuming the knobs are smaller on the 2.6 and it rolls similar to the 2.4 (I don't know if it does) than that would be a great option. I thought about a 2.5 dhf or assegai but that seems a bit overkill for me as these are being use for long travel trail bike riding and not extreme enduro/bike park riding. I'll have to see if anyone else has ran 2.6 dhr2 front/ 2.4 dhr2 rear then possibly go for that option.

After I wear down the 2.4 dhr2 on the rear I will replace it for another 2.4 or large 2.3 I think, like one of the options mentioned in my last post. I think a maxxis 2.4 is the perfect rear volume so far for a rear tire but it has more than enough grip and braking traction which I can swap for a bit less rolling resistance. In the case of the hellkat it might actually be a perfect fit, or actually a 2.6 eliminator (which comes in at 2.45) might be a good fit for my rear tire in that case.
    The hellkat 2.6 also measures out at 2.66 vs the 2.45 of the eliminators so that another thing to consider.
    Is that 2.66 on 35mm rims or something? That's huge! I'm rolling on 30mm rims so that would be pretty massive if it comes in at that size.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    After I wear down the 2.4 dhr2 on the rear I will replace it for another 2.4 or large 2.3 I think, like one of the options mentioned in my last post. I think a maxxis 2.4 is the perfect rear volume so far for a rear tire but it has more than enough grip and braking traction which I can swap for a bit less rolling resistance. In the case of the hellkat it might actually be a perfect fit, or actually a 2.6 eliminator (which comes in at 2.45) might be a good fit for my rear tire in that case.
    I have kept the 2.6 DHR at the front on the three enduro races I took part of this season so far. For the rear, on the first one I used the 2.4 Der Baron (which is actually bigger than that), which offers great grip on everything and was better than the DHF on the loose soil of those tracks. Then on the second one I used the 2.5 DHF, for more compact soil. On the third one I used the Eliminator because rolling speed was more important than grip. They were all good matches in size. A DHR 2.4 is a bit smaller than a 2.4 Hellkat but that's fine, I ran a 2.4 DHR at the front last year with a 2.4 Der Baron at the rear, at that same course, and it was a fine combo despite the Der Baron being closer to a 2.5.

Got rocks?
    Hmm good points especially with the 2.6 dhr2, I have the 2.4 dhr2 front and rear currently but I didn't realize the 2.6 weighs the same, the maxxis website shows its actually 5 grams less weight than the 2.4! In fact I forgot that there was even a 2.6 dhr2. Assuming the knobs are smaller on the 2.6 and it rolls similar to the 2.4 (I don't know if it does) than that would be a great option. I thought about a 2.5 dhf or assegai but that seems a bit overkill for me as these are being use for long travel trail bike riding and not extreme enduro/bike park riding. I'll have to see if anyone else has ran 2.6 dhr2 front/ 2.4 dhr2 rear then possibly go for that option.

Is that 2.66 on 35mm rims or something? That's huge! I'm rolling on 30mm rims so that would be pretty massive if it comes in at that size.
    Yes on 35ID wheels. My Hans Dampf2 is 2.56 on the same rim.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I also did not like the eliminator 2.6 on the front. not enough edge grip and caracsss slightly wider than tread. Good on the back, currently 2.6 dhr 2 on front, Great front tire
    '18 banshee rune

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    So since it seems that the 2.6 eliminator just doesn't have amazing grip for a front tire, I am back to considering a butcher again for the front if I were to go that route. For those of you who may have used both, the butcher does have more cornering grip, right?

I thought the 2.6 butcher on a few specialized bikes I rode (on 30mm rims) always felt decent-sized and that the grip was good, plus something about that tire and its volume allowed the bike to absolutely just rip its way downhill. Not only does the 2.6 carry momentum through the rough stuff, something about having that much mass made me feel like I was going downhill under gravity faster than I would with say 2.4's or 2.3's. In fact, I think the 2.6 butcher and purgatory grid combo was pretty good overall, assuming the purgatory is actually only 2.45 inches then I can fit it on the rear of my bike too (but barely). So that may just be my combo one day.

As mentioned in another thread today, specialized now has the 2.6 butcher and eliminator in a new GRID TRAIL option that has replaced the old grid option. I haven't seen any announcements about this new option anywhere so I am curious how the tires will actually be different. The 2.6 butcher grid trail is now 960 grams while I could have sworn the old grip option was only 930 so maybe the sidewalls are stronger and knobs grip better?

I have kept the 2.6 DHR at the front on the three enduro races I took part of this season so far. For the rear, on the first one I used the 2.4 Der Baron (which is actually bigger than that), which offers great grip on everything and was better than the DHF on the loose soil of those tracks. Then on the second one I used the 2.5 DHF, for more compact soil. On the third one I used the Eliminator because rolling speed was more important than grip. They were all good matches in size. A DHR 2.4 is a bit smaller than a 2.4 Hellkat but that's fine, I ran a 2.4 DHR at the front last year with a 2.4 Der Baron at the rear, at that same course, and it was a fine combo despite the Der Baron being closer to a 2.5.
    I also did not like the eliminator 2.6 on the front. not enough edge grip and caracsss slightly wider than tread. Good on the back, currently 2.6 dhr 2 on front, Great front tire
    Good feedback about the 2.6 DHR and other tires.

Rides all the bikes!
    Funny, I liked the Eliminator BD 2.6 on the front of my Enduro. I put the 2.6 Butcher on the front of my new Flow and have been using that. I just put fresh sealant in the tires and the Eliminator lost air overnight. If it holds air I will be running it for my enduro tomorrow. If not I will stick to the Butcher.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I saw some 2.6 specialized grid tires (no eliminator, just butcher and purgatory) on 30mm rims this evening and while they had some pretty big volume and a nice rounded profile, they definitely did not look any wider than my 2.4 dhr2s, so I understand the whole "they are really 2.45" thing. A 2.5 or 2.6 dhf (I didn't pay attention) mounted on another bike looked wider than the spec tires. We will see if the new grid trail tires end up spreading out to any wider but for now I think i'll hold off on getting any 2.6 grid casing tires.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    they definitely did not look any wider than my 2.4 dhr2s, so I understand the whole "they are really 2.45" thing.
    I buy Spez tires knowing they are undersized because I like a 2.4 to 2.5 tire. You can never go wrong with Maxxis tires, my Assegai tires are more 2.45 than 2.5 if you really want a 2.6, I think the schwable tires tend to be true 2.6s. But when it comes down to chosing a tire, the .1 difference is a lot less important than the tread pattern, compound, longevity, casing strength etc. Give the eliminator a try in place of your dhr. I think you'll find it is as good or better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I buy Spez tires knowing they are undersized because I like a 2.4 to 2.5 tire. You can never go wrong with Maxxis tires, my Assegai tires are more 2.45 than 2.5 if you really want a 2.6, I think the schwable tires tend to be true 2.6s. But when it comes down to chosing a tire, the .1 difference is a lot less important than the tread pattern, compound, longevity, casing strength etc. Give the eliminator a try in place of your dhr. I think you'll find it is as good or better.
    Good points, I know the 2.6 eliminator and butcher are both good tires, its just so is the dhr2 and more width and overall volume would be my primary reason why I would use a different tire. The 2.6 spec tires definitely have that big balloon volume but not the width really. IDK how big a 2.6 dhr2 ends up being on a 30mm rim but that could be a winning point for it.

But yeah, I don't have any issues with the dhr2's cornering, braking, rolling resistance, durability, etc. for the front and I don't think I would for a 2.6 butcher and maybe not for a 2.6 eliminator either. But with those tires, the 2.5 and 2.6 DHF, the kenda hellkat, and quite a few other i'm forgetting, there are several different good choices for the front which will all work well for my terrain and riding so its a tough choice. The rear is a bit easier to decide because I will have a spare 2.4 dhr2 with decent life left that I will use for awhile and I have several possible good choices to replace that too in the future.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    As mentioned in another thread today, specialized now has the 2.6 butcher and eliminator in a new GRID TRAIL option that has replaced the old grid option. I haven't seen any announcements about this new option anywhere so I am curious how the tires will actually be different. The 2.6 butcher grid trail is now 960 grams while I could have sworn the old grip option was only 930 so maybe the sidewalls are stronger and knobs grip better?

Taken from the press release when the new Fuse came out.
    https://www.bikeradar.com/news/specialized-fuse-2020/

"With these updated tyres also comes two new casings: Grid Trail and Control.

Grid Trail falls in as the second toughest casing in Specializedís tyre lineup and is claimed to offer 29 percent more pinch-flat protection and 30 percent more puncture resistance than the standard Grid version.

The casing itself sees more sidewall support, said to improve handling at lower pressure, and the knobbies are made with a stickier Gription T7 compound for increased traction. The Grid Trail casing will be available on the Butcher, Eliminator, Hillbilly and Slaughter.

On the other side of the spectrum is the Control casing, which sits just below the lightweight S-Works XC Race. This casing is for cross-country riders who are finding themselves in increasingly rowdy terrain using lower tyre pressure and wide rims.

According to Specialized, the Control casing offers a 29 percent increase in flat protection and uses a fast rolling Gription T5 tread compound for the centre and shoulder blocks. The Renegade, Fast Trak, Ground Control, Purgatory and Butcher will all come in a Control casing option."

Sooooo, the new Grid Trail should be like an EXO+ casing. What I think is just as exciting are that they redid the center knobs on the Butcher to have a better feel while leaning it over (transition knobs!) and the all new purgatory looks great also for a fast rolling rear tire.

mtbr member
    Can someone kersplain me how the Eliminator is different from a Purgatory? They look just the same to me but all reviews treat the Eliminator as much gnarlier.

Edit: I can see above they'll have different compounds. Did they before?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    Can someone kersplain me how the Eliminator is different from a Purgatory? They look just the same to me but all reviews treat the Eliminator as much gnarlier.

Edit: I can see above they'll have different compounds. Did they before?
    The new differentiating compounds are tied to the casing, Grid Trail vs. Control.

They are different tread patterns. Not sure how you want someone to explain that one is more aggressive. Different lugs, different spacing, different intent. The all new purgatory in the link above is very different from the Eliminator.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I just bought a butcher 2.6 for the front of the new bike I'm going to be building. Didn't know about the eliminator. Now I can't decide if I should exchange the butcher for the elim. My conditions vary a lot, everything except mud. But the prevailing surface is hardpack at several of the places I ride at often. I'm worried about the taller knobs of the butcher squirming and/or folding on hardpack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

I just went from a Butcher Grid 2.6 to an Eliminator Grid 2.6, on a 35mm internal rim. To me, on the trails I ride, mostly hard-pack, some sand and gravel, and occasionally very rocky it seems to roll faster and corner better. Iíve been very happy with it. Weíll see if it lasts as long as the Butcher, which is a very long wearing tire.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I have 2, ridden 1-2x each, Spesh Eliminators. 1 27.5" from my wife's bike and 1 29" for sale.

One $35 shipped continental USA or both shipped for $60. OBO.

They are great tires and I went thru several but for this time of year I prefer something different.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    I just bought a butcher 2.6 for the front of the new bike I'm going to be building. Didn't know about the eliminator. Now I can't decide if I should exchange the butcher for the elim. My conditions vary a lot, everything except mud. But the prevailing surface is hardpack at several of the places I ride at often. I'm worried about the taller knobs of the butcher squirming and/or folding on hardpack.
    Like some others on this forum I preferred to run the Eliminator as a rear tire. I can tell you the Butcher Grid would squirm under strong loading on hard pack, although itís great for deeper, loose dirt. But the new Butcher Grid TRAIL has an updated pattern thatís definitely better made for hard pack. So far I havenít seen any reports/reviews so maybe youíd be the first.

Rides all the bikes!
    I think I've only used the E in looser conditions. I haven't used it since I pulled my stock carbon wheels off (after cracking the rear). I'm saving it until next summer when I hit Mammoth and Summit gets blown out next year

However, I've beaten the hell out of the Butcher Grid 2.6. Lots of miles at Summit this year, plus my local spot (I did 85 miles in Big Bear this weekend). I'm usually in the top 5 for the day every time I ride Summit, the tire seems to work fine. I'm hoping something like the E will help my times on 10-Ply with how loose it is, but the B still works.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Has anyone tried the new Purgatory? Would like to hear comparisons to Eliminator.

On a side note when I got 2.3 Eliminator it had considerable more volume than 2.3 Butcher. The Butcher was closer to 2.25 while Eliminator was closer to 2.35.

I'm with stupid
    I just put one of these on the rear of my bike with a butcher trail grid on the front. So far 1 ride into the combo and nothing is screaming this is awful yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'm just now reading about these new casings from specialized. Very interesting. Seems very similar to what maxxis did with EXO+. I will admit that I had recently moved on from the eliminator due to lack of casing options. The original grid is too squirmy and the black diamond is too stiff for my local trails. I even tried the eliminator black diamond in the rear and quickly went back to my tried and true Maxxis Aggressor DD. The casing was still too stiff and the tread pattern lacks braking traction. It rolled and cornered very well though. Looks like the eliminator is back in the mix again for front tire use with the new grid trail casing. I'll probably wait till my current Assegai EXO+ wears out though. Too bad the new purgatory doesnt come in the grid trail casing. Very intriguing tread pattern for rear tire use.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I just put one of these on the rear of my bike with a butcher trail grid on the front. So far 1 ride into the combo and nothing is screaming this is awful yet.
    When you say Ďone of theseí do you mean purgatory or Eliminator?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbrockenchain View Post
    Has anyone tried the new Purgatory? Would like to hear comparisons to Eliminator.

On a side note when I got 2.3 Eliminator it had considerable more volume than 2.3 Butcher. The Butcher was closer to 2.25 while Eliminator was closer to 2.35.
    Some info here on new Purgatory.
    https://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/...s-1115863.html

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbrockenchain View Post
    When you say Ďone of theseí do you mean purgatory or Eliminator?
    The eliminator

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Update - I did return the butcher I bought for my new bike and got an eliminator. So I'm running eliminator front, ground control rear. Both 2.6 on 35mm rims. Only 2 rides so far but I'm extremely pleased with the combo. Yesterday's ride was on trails that varied between dusty, hero dirt and some greasy wet sections. The eliminator rolls really well and I still love the GC as a rear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The eliminator rolls really well and I still love the GC as a rear.
    Good to hear it works as a front tire. I've run it on the back since summer in 2.6 blck dmnd and 2.3 grid. Really love this tire, it surprises me with it's excellent performance. I did get a puncture on my blck dmnd one at the bike park that could not be sealed by sealant. It just happened to puncture right at the base of a tread block which made it reopen every time the tread flexed. I had to use a tube then eventually plug it. I'd rate this tire far better than a dhr. And I've ridden it in all conditions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    anyone running the new Grid Trail casing yet? I'd like to see some real world weights

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    local shop pulled one off the shelf and weighed it for me. This is the 29x2.6 Grid trail casing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Eliminator Grid Tire-87799446_2326238147667901_6319407479658643456_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    I wonder what the 27.5x2.6 weighs? Spesh lists the weight at 850 for the older Grid...but when I got mine home and weighed it...it came out to 960.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Clearly they arent measuring these before putting them on the site. Seems like the listed numbers have been low across the board. This one is listed at 930.

mtbr member

Clearly they arent measuring these before putting them on the site. Seems like the listed numbers have been low across the board. This one is listed at 930.
    No doubt. Thatís a huge difference. Almost weighs as much as my Assegai 29x2.5 at 1127g actual weight.
    Last edited by SoCal-Rider; 02-27-2020 at 09:45 PM.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    I wonder what the 27.5x2.6 weighs?

The one on my bike right now was 940.

HHL
    Que je suis bete!
    Nov 2004
    Thought I would throw this in because it's about the Eliminator, but in the Black DMND version: 29 x 2.6 = 1180 gr; 29 x 2.3 =1080 gr. The 29 x 2.6 Purg and GroundCon I have are about 100 gr less than the latter tire: all new versions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Does the 2.6 measure out to 2.6 or is it undersized?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Funoutside View Post
    Does the 2.6 measure out to 2.6 or is it undersized?
    My 27.5 one is 2.5 after a few rides. On 30mm internal rim

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Still kinda confused on the relative strengths of current model Butcher vs Eliminator. I'd likely be looking at Grid Trail versions in 29x2.6, in the front. I've been working hard on really leaning the bike over under me so looking for a distinct channel with aggressive/supportive side lugs. Thinking Butcher is more aggressive? Or should I go DHR?

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Butcher 2.6 up front, Eliminator 2.6 rear. Both Grid Trail. I ride loose rocky ride with some single black diamond. Front on a 36mm rim, rear on a 29mm rim. Iím not a fan of transition knobs unless in the Midwest or east coast. Iím probably a little over tired but the Butcher grips like a fiend in the wet and dry and the Eliminator seems to wear better than the 2.5 Aggressor and has better side lugs. Im also a Clyde. Iím thinking maybe 2.6 SE5/2.6 Purg in the summer. I donít know if I can give up the Butcher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Got rocks?
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    Butcher 2.6 up front, Eliminator 2.6 rear. Both Grid Trail. I ride loose rocky ride with some single black diamond. Front on a 36mm rim, rear on a 29mm rim. Iím not a fan of transition knobs unless in the Midwest or east coast. Iím probably a little over tired but the Butcher grips like a fiend in the wet and dry and the Eliminator seems to wear better than the 2.5 Aggressor and has better side lugs. Im also a Clyde. Iím thinking maybe 2.6 SE5/2.6 Purg in the summer. I donít know if I can give up the Butcher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Howís the new butcher with the updated tread?

Rides all the bikes!
    Looks like I pinched flatted the Eliminator BD I had this weekend. THink I am going to try and replace it with an 2.5 Assagei DD. I did like the Eliminator though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    Looks like I pinched flatted the Eliminator BD I had this weekend. THink I am going to try and replace it with an 2.5 Assagei DD. I did like the Eliminator though.
    Man that sucks, after handling and riding both, i can't imagine a DD casing being much stronger than a Black Diamond tire. You'll certainly gain some grip from the Assegai though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Personally, I've found the "new" Butcher & Eliminator Grid's have a narrow range of pressures for a nice "sweet-spot" compared to older versions from different factories they've used and offerings I've tried from Maxxis (All Non-DD)....

Example: 22-23psi Aggressor out back is good for me whereas the same psi with a Butcher is squirmy AF and bottoms on the rim in g-outs.

YMMV, just my experience.
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT View Post
    Personally, I've found the "new" Butcher & Eliminator Grid's have a narrow range of pressures for a nice "sweet-spot" compared to older versions from different factories they've used and offerings I've tried from Maxxis (All Non-DD)....

Example: 22-23psi Aggressor out back is good for me whereas the same psi with a Butcher is squirmy AF and bottoms on the rim in g-outs.

YMMV, just my experience.
    "Grid Trails" are supposedly stronger than the current or old "Grid".

I've had good luck with a 2.6 Butcher GT on the front of my enduro bike, i run a 2.3 BLCK DMND in the back. Oddly enough the size is almost identical. I dont think i would chance running a regular Grid tire.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by pcro View Post
    Still kinda confused on the relative strengths of current model Butcher vs Eliminator. I'd likely be looking at Grid Trail versions in 29x2.6, in the front. I've been working hard on really leaning the bike over under me so looking for a distinct channel with aggressive/supportive side lugs. Thinking Butcher is more aggressive? Or should I go DHR?
    I primarily use Specialized tires and am willing to sacrifice a little traction for a faster rolling tire. Over the past few years, my bikes have gotten better, my downhill speed has increased, and I started using a Butcher in the front.

I tried an Eliminator Grid last year and will share my thoughts:
    1. The Eliminator Grid had a smaller sweet spot for air pressure. I pay pretty close attention to tire pressure so this wasn't a big deal. The tire was awesome at the right pressure but there was a noticeable drop-off outside of a 2 to 3 psi window.
    2. I also noticed a drop-off in performance after about 400 miles. The tire still looked great but it started to slip in more places on familiar trails. I replaced the Eliminator Grid with another Butcher (non-Grid) in the middle of summer - after about 600 miles.
    3. My times were generally faster on the Eliminator Grid than on the Butcher. I don't chase fastest times but I do track my rides. I generally get a little faster as the temperature cools off in the fall, but all of my fastest rides last year were in the heat of summer on the Eliminator Grid.

For reference, I ride an Ibis Mojo, primarily along the Front Range of Colorado, with 27.5x2.3 tires and Stan's Flow EX (25.5mm) rims. When the Flows wear out, I will go to a wider rim and probably give an Eliminator 2.6 a try.

I like the Eliminator but the Butcher works a little better for my riding.

Rides all the bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by NateMob View Post
    Man that sucks, after handling and riding both, i can't imagine a DD casing being much stronger than a Black Diamond tire. You'll certainly gain some grip from the Assegai though.
    I was able to plug it up! So, I will keep running it as I am a cheap bastard and don't want to toss it yet. But I do have a brand new Assagei 2.5 DD waiting for when that happens

mtbr member
    Iíve been running Specialized tires for several years and riding in the hills for longer. I bought a 2019 27.5Ē Stumpjumper last year and have gotten a lot faster on the trails. My top speed on a smooth rutted fire road section is 38mph and I hit roller jumps at 33mph. Iím 160lbs and ride with about 5lbs of kit.

The SJ came with 2.6 Purgatory in the rear (mounted to 30mm rims) which felt to slow. I replaced it with an Aggressor 27.5 x 2.5 EXO/TR due to the reviews of the tire and Maxxis in general. However, the Aggressorís braking power was not working for me because it didnít have the braking power I was looking for. I saw the Eliminator Grid Trail on the newer SJ S-works and wanted to try it. I was trying to hold out for the Eliminator Grid Trail in the 2.6 version for a rear tire last November, but a few LBSís said it would be a couple of monthsÖ So, I settled for the Eliminator Grid 2.6. After running it for a few months now, I have not settled for anything. This tire is great! It matches the 2.6 Butcher (mounted to 30mm rims) up front really well. They want to break loose in a corner about the same time. The braking is exactly what I was looking for. IT holds enough braking power for me, and when it does break loose under breaking in a straight line, it fish-tails the least out of any other tire I have tried. The climbing traction is supper as well.

I may try the Eliminator Grid Trail in the 2.6 version when my current Grid tread gets low, but Iím interested how these two casing compare. I definitely donít need the BD casing. Knock on wood, Iíve never punctured or burped a tire running around 22-24psi in the rear. I did retape the Roval Traverse carbon rims with two wraps of DT Swiss 32mm wide tape.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    moonlite - where do you live? I ran the eliminator grid 2.3 black diamond on the rear for a little while and was disappointed with both climbing and braking traction. I switched to the aggressor 2.5 DD after that and I have been much happier. Admittedly, I did not try the grid on the rear. its not sturdy enough.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by moonlite View Post
    I have not settled for anything. This tire is great!
    Yes it is. I didn't know they had a grid trail. I'd like to have one for a rear tire. I have butcher grid 2.6 f, eliminator grid 2.3 r on my offering and an eliminator 2.6 r blck dmnd on my sb150. The grid casing is flexy and I can notice the difference when riding my maxxis tires or the blck dmnd casing. That said, I live in the land of sharp rocks and cacti and the grid casing has taken it in stride. Did a weekend in Sedona...rode the hard stuff...no issues. Personally for just regular riding they are fine for me. If I go to the park or ride something really nasty, I'd prefer a stiffer casing just for better handling. I've ridden a butcher grid front down the whole enchilada on 2 different occasions. Grid casing to me is for keeping things light. For riding at the bleeding edge, I'd consider something a little thicker/stiffer/tougher whether that is the bd casing or the new trail casing or a different brand. My 0.02.

mtbr member
    moonlite - where do you live? I ran the eliminator grid 2.3 black diamond on the rear for a little while and was disappointed with both climbing and braking traction. I switched to the aggressor 2.5 DD after that and I have been much happier. Admittedly, I did not try the grid on the rear. its not sturdy enough.
    Santa Cruz, CA

The guys at the LBS said the BD casing aren't recommended for lighter riders because they will be to stiff... and you won't get the mechanical grip from the casing compiling to the terrain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by moonlite View Post

The guys at the LBS said the BD casing aren't recommended for lighter riders because they will be to stiff... and you won't get the mechanical grip from the casing compiling to the terrain.
    Not sure I buy the light rider thing, but yes the bd casing is probably overkill for regular riding...just because of the added weight. I have mine on my dh/park wheels. I actually had a puncture on my bd casing right by a tread block that would not seal without a tire plug. It was while riding some sharp rocks at a bike park. The way I look at it is I've ridden grid casing everywhere it should fail and it hasn't. So for everyday riding it works for me
    Specialized Eliminator Grid Tire-img_20200217_074438_238.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Interesting as I feel the Grid casing is pretty stiff. I rode Maxxis EXO for years and Grid to me way stiffer. Took me awhile to get sweetspot which is like 19 psi. I am am fairly light weight and ride in Northern Rockies. The Eliminator so far good compromise of decent rolling resistance and grip/braking. Would like to try new Purgatory on rear for even better rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'm a heavier guy and riding a fairy heavy bike. I'm 205 and my Knolly Fugitive weighs 35 pounds. EXO and Grid casings are OK in the front. I still like the casing to be a little more supportive. Running EXO+ up front now and liking it. Cant run them at all in the rear. Usually dont make it more than a few rides without a cut or puncture.

The black diamond casing isnt stiff or burly through the knobs. Only on the side walls. Its an interesting design. Very stiff for those who like/need that much support. It was too much for my taste. At least on my local trails. I live in Vegas. Very dry and very rocky. This place seems to chew tires up very quickly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Well guys and gals, I mounted these bad boys up to the Fugitive yesterday. Both are 2.6 Canít wait to try them out. Kinda wish I wouldíve weighed them first but oh well. So far all I can say is they seated first try and havenít lost a drop of sealant yet.

mtbr member
    My initial impressions of a 2020 Eliminator Grid Trail 29x2.6 and Purgatory Grid 29x2.6 I put here.

https://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/...l#post14711543

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Iím officially giving up on the eliminator as a rear tire. Not enough climbing or braking traction. Really liking the 2.6 butcher up front though.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I'm officially in love with the eliminator as my front tire. There is a sweet spot for pressure or it feels too harsh, but the tread and compound are perfect for my area. And this is after almost 6 months of rides; still like new, tiny bit of edge knob feathering
    Specialized Eliminator Grid Tire-img_20200526_130412.jpg

Got rocks?
    I'm officially in love with the eliminator as my front tire. There is a sweet spot for pressure or it feels too harsh, but the tread and compound are perfect for my area. And this is after almost 6 months of rides; still like new, tiny bit of edge knob feathering

Name:	IMG_20200526_130412.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	280.0 KB 
ID:	1338677
    What kind of terrain?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Mid-atlantic mixmaster. Baby heads, roots, shale, loose over hard, tacky. We've got everything except loam. lol

Got rocks?

Double post

mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Name:	IMG_20200526_130412.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	280.0 KB 
ID:	1338677
    My experience last year (Front Range of Colorado) was pretty similar. Once I found the right pressure, the Eliminator was great as a front tire.

Then I started noticing a loss of traction around 400 miles. The tire still looked great and showed very little wear, but I no longer trusted it after about 500 miles.

I ended up switching back to a Butcher. My speeds are a little slower, but I typically get 800 to 1000 miles on a Butcher with no loss in confidence.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by dllawson819 View Post
    My experience last year (Front Range of Colorado) was pretty similar. Once I found the right pressure, the Eliminator was great as a front tire.

Then I started noticing a loss of traction around 400 miles. The tire still looked great and showed very little wear, but I no longer trusted it after about 500 miles.

I ended up switching back to a Butcher. My speeds are a little slower, but I typically get 800 to 1000 miles on a Butcher with no loss in confidence.
    To be fair, if I was riding slightly different terrain the Eliminator would probably be perfect. I really liked the way it rolled and it held up great, but it didn't have quite enough grip in kitty litter type conditions.

mtbr member

Iíve been running a 29x2.6 eliminator Grid trail as a front tire here is SoCal (loose over hard, hard, and very dusty now in the summer). I havenít had any grip problems, no wash outs, and have been overall happy with it. Definitely stiffer than the aggressor exo Iím running in the rear, and can run lower pressures than I can in the aggressor.

First mount was pretty hard as others have said, but subsequent mounts are fine. I blew the tire off the rim when I landed front first off a 4ft drop and i was able to mount it back with my hands.

Didnít weigh it, but wish I would have. I bought the tire because I was excited to lose some weight from the stock e13, but I guess you canít have it all!

Seems like everyone elseís run about 1050-1100g, which is way over the claimed 950g on specís website

Last edited by socalrider77; 06-04-2020 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Added casing
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

Robertson
    Have been running Bontrager SE5 2.6/SE4 2.4 on my bike since October (went through a few pairs). Ordered replacements and decided on a whim to get a pair of Specialized for comparison.

Eliminator grid trail 29x2.3: 1009g
    Butcher grid trail 29x2.6: 1065g

I was comparing these to some Bontragers:
    SE5 29x2.6: 1120
    SE4 29x2.4: 949

The grid trail casing felt, to hand, just a touch stiffer than the Bontrager. Side knobs similar in softness between the two. The 2.3 eliminator tread width is very similar to the 2.4 SE4, knob layout very similar and just a touch taller; the 2.6 butcher is a bit more narrow than the 2.6 SE5 (which blows up huge on my rims, a bit too large for my liking) and very similar overall tread appearance to me. Overall these look promising, so I sent the Bontys back.

mtbr member
    Hi,

Anyone can compare the Eliminator Grid Trail vs Maxxis Minion DHR II 2.4WT Exo+ Maxxterra?

Looking for less rolling resistance but sturdy enough for rocky trails.

Thanks!

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 7 mediante Tapatalk
    Excuse my english, it's not the best

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by RxSub View Post
    Hi,

Anyone can compare the Eliminator Grid Trail vs Maxxis Minion DHR II 2.4WT Exo+ Maxxterra?

Thanks!

The eliminator is much faster and the casing is plenty tough but it will not have anywhere near the climbing or braking traction of the DHR.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by RxSub View Post
    Hi,

Thanks!

Not apples to apples, but I was running a 2.6 EXO+ dhr2 and went to a BLCKDMND 2.6 eliminator. Also was running a grid trail eliminator on a different bike. From what I remember:

Eliminator rolls faster and wears better. I was getting 2x life (900 vs. 450 miles) out of the Eliminator vs. the DHR2

Cornering probably goes to the DHR2, but itís honestly tough for me to remember. the Eliminator paired nicely with the Assegai i had in front. It has less of a transition but still has solid cornering knobs.

Punctures were non-existent with the BLCK DMDN and rare with the Grid trail. I had many with the DHR 2 - all scenarios besides the BLCK DMND had an insert as well.

Braking traction - probably the DHR 2, but the eliminator isnít terrible until you were it down. Then it starts to feel more like a semi-semi slick.

mtbr member
    The eliminator is much faster and the casing is plenty tough but it will not have anywhere near the climbing or braking traction of the DHR.
    Not apples to apples, but I was running a 2.6 EXO+ dhr2 and went to a BLCKDMND 2.6 eliminator. Also was running a grid trail eliminator on a different bike. From what I remember:

Eliminator rolls faster and wears better. I was getting 2x life (900 vs. 450 miles) out of the Eliminator vs. the DHR2

Cornering probably goes to the DHR2, but itís honestly tough for me to remember. the Eliminator paired nicely with the Assegai i had in front. It has less of a transition but still has solid cornering knobs.

Punctures were non-existent with the BLCK DMDN and rare with the Grid trail. I had many with the DHR 2 - all scenarios besides the BLCK DMND had an insert as well.

Braking traction - probably the DHR 2, but the eliminator isnít terrible until you were it down. Then it starts to feel more like a semi-semi slick.
    Thank you both.

I think I'll give it a try, seems what I'm looking for. DHR2 is a little overkill for AM/trail with lot of pedaling.

I'm also considering an Eliminator 29x2.6 to replace the DHF 29x2.5WT Exo+ on front when it wears out...

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Respectfully disagree. Better climbing and braking. I've used DHRs and HR2s for years and the eliminator is better in my book and more predictable. I live in the sw desert with extremely loose rocky terrain. Currently an eliminator blck dmnd on my park/tough wheelset and a HR2 on my trail wheelset (because I tore the sidewall of a very well used eliminator grid and had some HR2s in the garage). But will eventually put an eliminator grid trail back on my trail bike.

mtbr member
    Respectfully disagree. Better climbing and braking. I've used DHRs and HR2s for years and the eliminator is better in my book and more predictable. I live in the sw desert with extremely loose rocky terrain. Currently an eliminator blck dmnd on my park/tough wheelset and a HR2 on my trail wheelset (because I tore the sidewall of a very well used eliminator grid and had some HR2s in the garage). But will eventually put an eliminator grid trail back on my trail bike.
    Respectfully appreciate your opinion :-P