mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Specialized Eliminator Grid Tire

I found this tire in 29" 2.3" size at a LBS. I can't find any feedback on the internet regarding this model. It weight about 930 grams and has aggressive side knob and ramped center knobs with two knobs close to center, then two knobs equally spaced, followed by three smaller knobs the bridge the gap from side knob to side knob.

Anybody have a chance to review this tire yet? I looks to me like it might make a decent rear tire to replace the Griffin I am currently running, which was great for about 100 miles of rocky single track before the side knobs started ripping.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Here is a picture of the new tire
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Eliminator Grid Tire-eliminator.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    very interested in this tire as well. I'm shocked to see you found it in store. I was told we wouldnt see it till February

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    what shop is this?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Look what showed up in the mail today. It's a little chunkier than I was hoping for but it's light. Specifically the center knobs are taller than I was expecting. It almost feels like they've thinned out the grid casing a bit to compete more directly with Maxxis EXO. Hope I don't destroy it immediately.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasR6 View Post
    Look what showed up in the mail today. It's a little chunkier than I was hoping for but it's light. Specifically the center knobs are taller than I was expecting. It almost feels like they've thinned out the grid casing a bit to compete more directly with Maxxis EXO. Hope I don't destroy it immediately.

Could you please weigh it and also measure the width when mounted?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I donít have a small scale to weigh it on but I can put a caliper on it

Mtbr Morvs

Specialized Eliminator Tire Review

I rode the Specialized Eliminator 29 x 2.6, w/Grid casing, as my front tire today, Sun Nov 4th (no rain for months), on an Ď18 S-Works Enduro w/Roval Carbon rims. Ride was 19 Mi 2500 vert ascend and 4400 descend in Santa Cruz from Santa Rosalia (Demo) to Soquel Village, mostly single-track, lose, dusty, off-camber turns, some with leaves and/or loamy, some rocky and quite a bit of hard pack with a fine layer of dirt on top to keep it interesting. https://www.relive.cc/view/1946525900 I ran 20 lbs pressure which is less pressure than the 2.6 Butcher it replaced because I just returned from DVille.

I was extremely happy with the Eliminatorís cornering ability which gave me confidence to open it up a bit more during todayís dusty conditions. I could feel my rear Purgatory 2.3 breaking loose in turns while my front held true. Donít get me wrong, I still got the Eliminator sliding a bit but it felt way more controlled compared to the Butcher which I credit the Eliminatorís cornering as a result of an increased number of shoulder knobs and more, what I call ďsplitĒ knobs which essentially creates more, smaller, knobs. The Butcher it replaced was installed in early Oct, I ran Butchers all summer riding Santa Cruz and at every CA Enduro Series race, going through maybe 3 or 4 this season.

First impression is I really like the Eliminator, especially in these dry conditions! It will be interesting to see how it holds up but Iím pretty confident itíll do well after riding other GRIDs with the Gription compound for a few years now. I will do a follow up to this review in a month or so and especially let you know how it feels when we get some rain (hopefully soon!).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Eliminator Grid Tire-img_3141%5B1%5D.jpg  

Specialized Eliminator Grid Tire-img_3142%5B1%5D.jpg  

Specialized Eliminator Grid Tire-img_e3130%5B1%5D.jpg  

Specialized Eliminator Grid Tire-img_3164%5B1%5D.jpg  

Specialized Eliminator Grid Tire-img_3174%5B1%5D.jpg  

Specialized Eliminator Grid Tire-img_e3170%5B1%5D.jpg  

Last edited by JMorvs; 1 Week Ago at 09:50 PM. Reason: added pics

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    here is a link to my first ride impression in another thread. Spoiler alert, its good.http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/...l#post13874247

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Posted this in the other thread but wondering how the rubber was going for you?

Wondering if I shouldn't dial the 2.6 back to 2.3? If I go to this one.

-------------------------------

I'm pretty interested in one of these for South African conditions - Dry n' dust or alot hard / loose over hard and rocks. I've been a fan of the Slaughter as a back tyre for years now but have been struggling with a front choice for a while now. I had a Ibex that was brilliant until it did that thing of looking like there was loads of life left in it but then trying to kill you each ride cos it was past it's sell by date.

It's going on a set of flow mk3's for my evil.

Next up was a butcher in grid 2.6 but i really didn't like the 'squirm' that I got from it on the front when I hit a slab, rock garden or boulder roll. Didn't inspire confidence (buzz... enduro bingo).

I'm on a DHF and to be honest it's fine but it's not exactly speedy and I do find myself peddling in spots here I used to be thinking of maybe reaching for the panic levers. It's fine when you're railing down but for the sections in between it does feel a bit like a hand brake.

Anyone throw any light on the squirm factor?