mtbr member

Specialized Eliminator?

Anyone riding these? Going to need a new rear soon and am getting a bit of option paralysis but really like the looks of these. Seem to be new with no reviews anywhere i have been able to find. Looks like it would make a good rear tire and maybe a front too? Sort of looks like an Aggressor with a bit more space between the knobs but those similarly styled squared off type blocks in a similar pattern. Just looking for a bit of input/observations before pulling the trigger. Looking at the 29x2.3 in the Eliminator on i29 rim. Going on the back of a Fuel EX8. Currently running 29x2.4 XR4s. Not too impressed with them. They don't do a good job hooking up on root and rock edges and their off camber traction leaves alot to be desired.

Specialized Eliminator Grid
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Eliminator?-eliminator-grid.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    They were released yesterday and i checked them out today at my LBS. They look to be an awesome tire that is more aggressive than the Purgatory. Its available in the Black Diamond casing so i think this will be my next rear tire for the chunky stuff i ride. Should hook up well but roll faster than the Butcher I currently have out back.

Look for media reviews soon.

Barely in control
    Wow, released yesterday? I guess that explains why I couldn't find any reviews when I saw it on the site and searched yesterday afternoon!

I don't see enough of a difference between this and the Butcher to give it a try.

mtbr member
    Well that explains a lot. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    This looks more like an Assegi to me. Seems like itís the same side knob as the Butcher.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Here is a picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Eliminator?-eliminator.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    This looks more like an Assegi to me. Seems like itís the same side knob as the Butcher.
    Very much so now that I look at it.

I'm with stupid
    Im interested in this tire. Cant wait to hear what people think. I saw it pop up in a few pictures of Graves and Keene

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Any weights on these? If they come in semi-tacky rubber and weigh well under 1000g, this certainly looks like something I would try. I'm guessing even if that's a standard single-ply casing, a 29x2.3 isn't coming in under 900g...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phuchmileif View Post
    Any weights on these? If they come in semi-tacky rubber and weigh well under 1000g, this certainly looks like something I would try. I'm guessing even if that's a standard single-ply casing, a 29x2.3 isn't coming in under 900g...
    Probably right around there with the Grid casing. Most of the Grid stuff is under 900 with the exception of the slaughter and the hillbilly I think.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The 29 2.3 weighs 930 grams which is consistent with other big knob tires around that size.

I am going to try it as a rear tire first, as I am satisfied with a 2.5 DHF up front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by c_trail_biker View Post
    The 29 2.3 weighs 930 grams which is consistent with other big knob tires around that size.

I am going to try it as a rear tire first, as I am satisfied with a 2.5 DHF up front.
    Sweet! Thanks for the info. Canít wait to hear a report.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Damn. 930 is very good, assuming the carcass is at least as burly as an Exo Minion.

I feel like Spesh was looking at Maxxis's tire line and wanted to fill a niche before Maxxis themselves got to it...

I.e. Maxxis's downhill selection is very similar to Specialized, but then Maxxis put out the Assegai, and people want that but in trail form. And then bam, here we go, similar tread, little harder rubber, reasonable weight for trail riding. And it's gonna pull people from the other end, too, who sacrifice a tiny bit of weight to run the Eliminator over a Hands Dampf or the like...and I'm expecting this tire to decimate an HD.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Look what showed up in the mail today. It's a little chunkier than I was hoping for but it's light. Specifically the center knobs are taller than I was expecting. It almost feels like they've thinned out the grid casing a bit to compete more directly with Maxxis EXO. Hope I don't destroy it immediately.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I was originally planning to use it on the rear but Iím starting to think it might work better up front

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hi vegasR6, let us know what you think of the tire upfront if you go that direction. I have a Stumpy ST 29er with a 2.3 Butcher upfront and I'm thinking of running the Eliminator in 2.6 upfront instead.

ZEN RIDER!
    I wish they'd just bring the Clutch back. Looks like the new Hans Dampf.
    Weights yet?
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Ok boys. First things first. This thing is NOT a true 2.6 like Specializedís 27.5 tires. My park bike wasnít on hand for a photo but I can tell you there is a big difference. This is more like the Maxxis version of 2.6 which is actually more useable in my opinion. I just wish theyíd list honest sizes. Pictured here is my Bontrager SE4 2.4 that I run on the rear for comparison. Both mounted on Raceface ARC30 rims with 30mm internal width. 2nd; this thing fits tight. I had to have nearly 100psi in my compressor to get the initial bead pop. After that it was bing bang boom. No fuss, no leaks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Next; Specialized has definitely thinned out the sidewall of the grid casing. Itís now very similar in feel and weight to the DHR EXO 2.4 I removed. Might even be lighter. In my opinion that makes grid tires almost exclusively front specific now. Obviously your weight, terrain, and riding style may differ. As for the tread, the eliminator is really a platypus. I feel like it could good for both front and rear use. Iím about to go hit a familiar set of desert trails. Iíll provide a ride report later today but Iím definitely optimistic of the eliminatorís tread being match for my riding style and local desert terrain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasR6 View Post
    Ok boys. First things first. This thing is NOT a true 2.6 like Specializedís 27.5 tires. My park bike wasnít on hand for a photo but I can tell you there is a big difference. This is more like the Maxxis version of 2.6 which is actually more useable in my opinion. I just wish theyíd list honest sizes. Pictured here is my Bontrager SE4 2.4 that I run on the rear for comparison. Both mounted on Raceface ARC30 rims with 30mm internal width. 2nd; this thing fits tight. I had to have nearly 100psi in my compressor to get the initial bead pop. After that it was bing bang boom. No fuss, no leaks.

Looks like the Assegai with a little less sipping. Intrested in how it feels in transition to leaning over.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    What's 'like a Maxxis 2.6' mean? 'Cause I feel like the Maxxis tires are pretty true to their rated sizes, albeit the 2.5-2.6 seem to do it all with tread width, with casings that seem a bit narrow compared to some others.

I also was under the impression that the GRID casing was already as light as Exo, if not lighter. Seems like Spesh often gets the same complaints as WTB: weepy sidewalls.

I guess, technically, it's possible to have a carcass that is heavier/thicker but still more permeable...those are just not qualities I typically associate with each other, though. I have often wondered why porosity is such a big issue with mountain bike tires, though. You would think it wouldn't be that hard to get a layer of nylon (or poly or aramid or whatever) fully coated with rubber, with no pinholes. And then fully coat THAT with a sealer on the inside.

...bike tires are sealed, right? Silly question, but I'm never really thought about it. Just assumed that, like a standard tubeless car tire, there is a coating on the inside that limits permeability. It's also always bothered me that, even with a good wheel/tire and a good tubeless sealant, bike tires don't hold air nearly as well as a cheapass car tire installed dry on a cheapass wheel. If you disregard pressure loss due to ambient temperature drop, car tires only lose 1-2psi a month. Set a tire to 35 and leave it for a year, and it'll still have a good 15-20psi, at least. Tubeless bike tires are flat in a month, usually...

/random rant

mtbr member
    Great to see some people are starting to get a hold of these. Reviews have started hitting the interwebs as well. Most seem positive. Iím dipping back and forth between this and a Maxxis aggressor. 2.3s for the rear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Frantic29 View Post
    Great to see some people are starting to get a hold of these. Reviews have started hitting the interwebs as well. Most seem positive. Iím dipping back and forth between this and a Maxxis aggressor. 2.3s for the rear.

This tire (based on pics) is more of a DHF/DHR2 without a slip zone. The Aggressor is a little better than a Simislick.

Barely in control
    So their 2.3 and 2.6 are the same size. Great job Specialized. Very sciency.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    My butcher BLK DMND 2.3 butchers are as big as my grid 2.6 also.

Barely in control
    We keep getting ripped off on 2.6-2.8 labelled tires. Either the casing is under sized or they reduce the knob size. Can't these people figure out that some of us want a 2.6 tire with some biiiiig ****in knobs?

ZEN RIDER!
    Looks like I will stay with the new Hans Dampf
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by phuchmileif View Post
    What's 'like a Maxxis 2.6' mean?

I also was under the impression that the GRID casing was already as light as Exo, if not lighter. Seems like Spesh often gets the same complaints as WTB: weepy sidewalls.
    In my past experience, Maxxis tires are on the small end of the spectrum given their listed sizes. No issues with sidewall weeping on the eliminator. Once I got it up onto the bead, it snapped into place and I havent seen a drop of sealant.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I wouldnt say that. I've seen plenty of 2.3 butchers and purgatorys running around out here and the 2.6's are definitely bigger. This is especially true of their 27.5 tires which I feel is a true 2.6. I've been running a 2.6 Butcher grid on the front of my park bike for about a year and it is visually larger than this tire but not by the same margin as their 2.3's

Barely in control
    I am talking about the measurements coming in for this specific tire.

I have a 2018 2.6 Butcher and Purgatory and they're 2.42" on a 30mm rim.

All measurements. No feeling or eyeballing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    All measurements. No feeling or eyeballing.
    unfortunately my eyeballs are all I have to work with in this case. I dont own a set of calipers

Barely in control

mtbr member

Aggressor side knobs don't last more than 30 miles for me. If this tire behaves like an aggressor but lasts longer it will be a big winner for my riding.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Aggressor side knobs don't last more than 30 miles for me. If this tire behaves like an aggressor but lasts longer it will be a big winner for my riding.
    damn dude. where are you riding; the fiery pits of hell?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    lol thanks. Gotta love prime

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Ok boys. Time for that initial ride report I promised. Keep in mind, I live in vegas where itís extremely dry and our trails are the definition of loose over hard. I was previously running an EXO DHR2 2.4 up front. Iíve also run High Roller 2ís, eThirteen TRSr, Butcher 2.6, and Continental trail king 2.4. This tire is far and away my favorite. It rides so smooth and quiet. Provides excellent trail damping but with loads of feedback. It rolls very well and corners like nothing Iíve ever experienced. It has to be tried to be believed. Ever since I started riding out here 4 years ago I have been in search of a setup that would allow me to push through the corners. Iíve gotten closer with different riding techniques, fork setups, fork brands, handlebars, and tire pressures. But Iíve never been able to see such a big improvement as I saw yesterday simply by bolting up this tire. I started off at 20psi due to the light sidewalls. I normally ran 19 in my DHR. That proved to be a bit high which makes sense because the extra air volume of the 2.6 casing. Again, I donít believe this tire to be a true 2.6 but itís definitely a little taller and wider than the DHR. So I dropped back down to my trusty 19psi number and things felt pretty good after. Iím tempted to try 18 next time out. A riding buddy of mine who just happens to be running 2.6 butcher 27.5 up front and purgatory rear tried out my bike for a mile or so. His post ride response? ďI swear to God, if this tire had a d!(k I would totally suck it!Ē Fairly certain he earned quote of the day right there.

Now with all that being said; the trail I rode didnít have any big, high speed descents. There are some fairly quick bits and the eliminator continued to impress in those sections. I just want to illustrate this was not a DH run by any means. It was a 16 mile loop with 1200í of climbing and a variety of terrain. The eliminator stuck to it all. Iíll post a link to a relive of the ride shortly.

For further size reference, here are a couple of post ride photos of the tire mounted to my ARC 30 rim and cane creek helm fork.

mtbr member
    damn dude. where are you riding; the fiery pits of hell?
    Hardpack berms kill it. If I stuck to trailriding and off the mtb specific trails it'd last longer. In general the aggressor is a fantastic rear tire new but the performance starts to drop off a cliff as it wears.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Hardpack berms kill it. If I stuck to trailriding and off the mtb specific trails it'd last longer. In general the aggressor is a fantastic rear tire new but the performance starts to drop off a cliff as it wears.
    Good to know. I just mounted an aggressor 2.5 double down on the rear of my park bike and loved it the first time out. Which compound did you get? I know they have a few. Max terra, max grip, etc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    As promised, a relive of my test ride yesterday
    https://www.relive.cc/view/1946607625

I'm with stupid
    glad it handles well on tame stuff. but i only care about when i am screaming down too fast for the corner and i just throw it in on race run and hope for the best. So please, go try to hurt yourself and ride like a hack that is in over his head and his ego is writing checks his skills cannot cash (my riding style) and let me know if the tire saves you. haha

Mtbr Morvs

Specialized Eliminator Tire Review

My review of the Eliminator from another thread... I concur it's AWESOME! Specialized Eliminator Grid Tire- Mtbr.com

Specialized Eliminator?-eliminator.jpg
    Pic of Butcher Left vs Eliminator Right
    Last edited by JMorvs; 2 Days Ago at 11:08 AM.
    MoreMorvs ⚡️⚡️🕹

mtbr member
    Pretty sure there is only 1 berm within 60 miles of me so thatís not an issue for me. I ride lots of roots and rocks and off camber type bits where things get washed pretty bad. The XR4s I currently have pretty much suck for those things I was recently down in Bentonville and they were awesome down there.

But the more I read the more I am leaning toward the Eliminator as a front and an aggressor on the rear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    But the more I read the more I am leaning toward the Eliminator as a front and an aggressor on the rear.
    This would be a legit combo. I will be running these on my park bike.

I'm with stupid
    How can you guys run such low pressures on these grid casings? Both reviews are talking in the 19 to 20 psi range. I fold the butcher grids at anything under 27 psi and the BLK DNMB casing has to stay above 23psi and that is front tire pressures. I ran 20 with the BLK casing with cushcores but any lower then the pressures listed the tire just folds oer and looses traction in a very abrupt scary fashion.

mtbr member
    Pretty sure there is only 1 berm within 60 miles of me so thatís not an issue for me. I ride lots of roots and rocks and off camber type bits where things get washed pretty bad. The XR4s I currently have pretty much suck for those things I was recently down in Bentonville and they were awesome down there.

I like the aggressor quite a bit for mixed terrain, very predictable rear tire. Out here we have a lot of bike park type trails. Ride logging road up and rip down. If I do a lot of the latter under hardpack conditons the sideknobs undercut really really fast and the rest of the knobs round over. Typically I'm riding those type of trails after work and big backcountry type rides on the weekends. With that I need to move on to a new rear tire as they just dont last for me.

My wishlist for a Maxxis tire would be an aggressor between the 2.3 and 2.5. A casing between exo and DD with much stouter sidelugs like a 2.5 dhf. For my riding that would be the ultimate rear tire.

I'm with stupid
    I like the aggressor quite a bit for mixed terrain, very predictable rear tire. Out here we have a lot of bike park type trails. Ride logging road up and rip down. If I do a lot of the latter under hardpack conditons the sideknobs undercut really really fast and the rest of the knobs round over. Typically I'm riding those type of trails after work and big backcountry type rides on the weekends. With that I need to move on to a new rear tire as they just dont last for me.

My wishlist for a Maxxis tire would be an aggressor between the 2.3 and 2.5. A casing between exo and DD with much stouter sidelugs like a 2.5 dhf. For my riding that would be the ultimate rear tire.
    are you killing the 2.3 or the 2.5? My 2.5 DD aggresor has the same size side knobs as my 2.5 DD DHF.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    are you killing the 2.3 or the 2.5? My 2.5 DD aggresor has the same size side knobs as my 2.5 DD DHF.
    The 2.5 does last longer but it's just to much volume for a rear tire for me. As you alluded to in your prior post once I get into the 2.4 range for a rear I really have to up the psi or they fold and squirm. I've even started going a little less volume up front for the same reason. Also the 2.5 DD is a lot of tire to sling around for my bigger weekend rides. Maybe I'm searching for a unicorn, who knows.

I'm with stupid
    The 2.5 does last longer but it's just to much volume for a rear tire for me. As you alluded to in your prior post once I get into the 2.4 range for a rear I really have to up the psi or they fold and squirm. I've even started going a little less volume up front for the same reason. Also the 2.5 DD is a lot of tire to sling around for my bigger weekend rides. Maybe I'm searching for a unicorn, who knows.
    #cushcore 90% of problem solved but the weight addition

mtbr member
    #cushcore 90% of problem solved but the weight addition
    Yeah, I've yet to mess with inserts though most of my friends now run them. Time to give'em a go I guess.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    How can you guys run such low pressures on these grid casings? Both reviews are talking in the 19 to 20 psi range. I fold the butcher grids at anything under 27 psi and the BLK DNMB casing has to stay above 23psi and that is front tire pressures.
    Your balls must just be that much bigger than the rest of us, lol. Iím talking trail pressure here, not at all DH settings. But even then, Iím fine running a double down rear with no insert. I probably wouldnít run a grid in a DH setting at all. Iíll be installing a blk dmnd eliminator front on my park bike ASAP.

Mtbr Morvs

Tire Pressure Fakturz

How can you guys run such low pressures on these grid casings? Both reviews are talking in the 19 to 20 psi range. I fold the butcher grids at anything under 27 psi and the BLK DNMB casing has to stay above 23psi and that is front tire pressures. I ran 20 with the BLK casing with cushcores but any lower then the pressures listed the tire just folds oer and looses traction in a very abrupt scary fashion.
    As vegas states ďTrail PressureĒ not DH/race pace through chicken heads. If itís really rocky Iíll bump it to 25 front and weighing 180 w/160mm travel w/29rs greatly helps keep the bead on the rim. I do run Cush-Core in the rear and will test the Eliminator with BLK DMD casing on the back with & without Cush-Core. I never run anything lower than 23-25 rear unless I forget to check the pressure and bump to 30 if/when itís rocky and fast.
    Last edited by JMorvs; 1 Week Ago at 08:13 AM. Reason: Reiterate

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

I only run the Agressor when i go out of town where there's a greater amount of climbing. I really like it but the side knobs cut up a lot. I dont notice much difference in RR with a DHR2 unless theres miles of strait climbing. I prefer the side knobs of the DhR2 anyway.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I am enjoying the Butcher over my usual DHF (as a front tire) but am finding it's limits.

I'll make this my next front tire for sure. Interested in direct comparisons of the 2.6 Eliminator vs. the 2.5 DHF 3c in terms of absolute side grip and rolling resistance.

Don't care nor want a true 2.6 tire. 2.4 - 2.5 is ideal for a front.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    When I first read the press release on these, they sounded good for a rear. After seeing the pics and reading more here, I'm definitely interested in a 2.6 front, possibly 2.3 rear. Thanks to those sharing their thoughts!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    who is selling these online? trying to avoid tax and shipping going direct to specialized. Google isnt helping

mtbr member
    who is selling these online? trying to avoid tax and shipping going direct to specialized. Google isnt helping
    They're new enough that many stores don't have inventory yet. When they do it should show up with multiple stores in the Shopping tab on Google

Mtbr Morvs

Direct Online

Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    They're new enough that many stores don't have inventory yet. When they do it should show up with multiple stores in the Shopping tab on Google
    I stand corrected, although I use the website to research Specializedís product mix I havenít purchased anything through it yet. I might be able to get more info on direct, online release!!
    Last edited by JMorvs; 1 Week Ago at 07:42 AM. Reason: Correction

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JMorvs View Post
    It was only released 1 week ago. specialized doesn't sell direct and avoids selling online to help drive foot traffic to LBS

Not true. Where do you think I got my current eliminator? Specialized.com I was just trying to save a little money on the next order by avoiding taxes and shipping.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    How can you guys run such low pressures on these grid casings?
    I have a butcher 29x2.6 as my front tire and run it at 17-18psi. I do notice it doesn't feel as firm at the same pressure as my DHF. However, I haven't had any issues with it. I weigh 180lbs and ride in the mountainous desert (hard pack, rocky, loose over hard).

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Ok guys. The results are in. The eliminator grid 29x2.6 actually measures in at 2.413 at the widest point of the tread blocks and 2.482 at the widest point of the casing. This was measured on a race face ARC 30 rim with 30mm internal width. I will have a measurement of the 27.5x2.6 on the same rim this week. That tire, however, will be a blk dmnd casing. If my current butcher is any sort of barometer, the 27.5 will be much closer to a true 2.6

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    So, basically, it sounds like this is a great 29x2.4 front tire. Maybe the mini-Assegai (or, alternatively, Hans Dampf on steroids) that I've been waiting for. Pair it with your fast-rolling 2.2-2.4 rear of choice and I bet you'll have a hell of a fun time.

...just don't expect it to pair with any kind of actual mid-fat tire. They really need to start labeling their tires properly...

Mtbr Morvs
    @boomn the Eliminator is now available direct from Specialized... https://www.specialized.com/us/en/el...=237557-157875
    MoreMorvs ⚡️⚡️🕹

mtbr member
    How much does the 29x2.6 weigh?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I read somewhere in this thread- sub 1000? I think or maybe that was 2.3

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JMorvs View Post
    @boomn the Eliminator is now available direct from Specialized... https://www.specialized.com/us/en/el...=237557-157875
    Yeah man. Itís been available for a couple weeks now. Iíve placed and received two orders already.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    My professional hand scale says it weighs less than the DHR it replaced and we know thatís under 1000. Itís light. Iím betting itís 900 or less

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    29 x 2.3 weighs 930 grams, so I would expect the 2.6 to weigh closer to 1000 grams.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I'm pretty interested in one of these for South African conditions - Dry n' dust or alot hard / loose over hard and rocks. I've been a fan of the Slaughter as a back tyre for years now but have been struggling with a front choice for a while now. I had a Ibex that was brilliant until it did that thing of looking like there was loads of life left in it but then trying to kill you each ride cos it was past it's sell by date.

It's going on a set of flow mk3's for my evil.

Next up was a butcher in grid 2.6 but i really didn't like the 'squirm' that I got from it on the front when I hit a slab, rock garden or boulder roll. Didn't inspire confidence (buzz... enduro bingo).

I'm on a DHF and to be honest it's fine but it's not exactly speedy and I do find myself peddling in spots here I used to be thinking of maybe reaching for the panic levers. It's fine when you're railing down but for the sections in between it does feel a bit like a hand brake.

Anyone throw any light on the squirm factor?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Anyone have feedback for PNW?

Wondering how this holds up for wet rooty riding..front or rear

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ehfour View Post
    Anyone have feedback for PNW?

Wondering how this holds up for wet rooty riding..front or rear
    Iím doubting itís decent in slimy wet conditions. I live and ride in the northeast mountains, we have very similar wet conditions (lots of greasy wet root and rock) compared to the PNW. The new grid casing is too thin to provide any real damping effect and the gripton compound is awful in the wet, at least the butchers are. By awful I mean freaking terrifying. Itís no wonder Graves and Keene blow out every time itís wet.

Disappointing as the old grid and rubber compounds were pretty good. Iím holding out hope that the BLKDMND is a bit better but at this point I donít trust the gripton enough to give this tire a shot. Too bad as it looks like an awesome tread pattern and itís probably great when itís dry.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    Iím doubting itís decent in slimy wet conditions. I live and ride in the northeast mountains, we have very similar wet conditions (lots of greasy wet root and rock) compared to the PNW. The new grid casing is too thin to provide any real damping effect and the gripton compound is awful in the wet, at least the butchers are. By awful I mean freaking terrifying. Itís no wonder Graves and Keene blow out every time itís wet.

Disappointing as the old grid and rubber compounds were pretty good. Iím holding out hope that the BLKDMND is a bit better but at this point I donít trust the gripton enough to give this tire a shot. Too bad as it looks like an awesome tread pattern and itís probably great when itís dry.
    Im in the Mid Atlantic so lots of wet roots and rocks. Hopefully they perform similar to the Assegai. IMO the butcher is to open like the DHF.

I'm with stupid
    I ran the Butcher BLK DMND in 2.3 in the wet and I was very surprised at how well it did on the wet rocks and roots when I was a very wet race preride in aspen colorado.