Specialized Butcher and Slaughter 27.5 x 2.6- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Specialized Butcher and Slaughter 27.5 x 2.6

I couldn't find much online yet on the new 2.6 tires from Specialized for fit. Here is my experience today.

It fits in NON boost spacing forks:
    - Marzocchi 350CR and
    - Marzocchi double crown 888CR

It also fits handily on my NS Soda EVO frame which already claimed to take tires up to 2.6 which was weird since that was an uncommon size when I got the bike a few years ago.

350CR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with stupid
    I cannot wait to see more on these. Are they the same size as the DHF 2.5? Knobs bigger then the 2.3? I know the Butcher control/grid had shorter knobs then the DH casing. So I wonder about these as well.

mtbr member
    Curious to know the actual size.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yeah, actual width would be really sweet to know.

I'm really curious about the Slaughter 2.6. Art's is listing 2/21 availability, so I assume most Spesh dealers can get them in now too.

What rim width do you think is too narrow for these? I assume my 24m internals are probably closer to "silly idea" territory than "adequate but sub-optimal". Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus2405 View Post

I'm really curious about the Slaughter 2.6. Art's is listing 2/21 availability, so I assume most Spesh dealers can get them in now too.

What rim width do you think is too narrow for these? I assume my 24m internals are probably closer to "silly idea" territory than "adequate but sub-optimal". Thoughts?

New No tubes Flow3 are very good, 29 mm id, and would consider 2,6" to be widest to fit to them, without compromising benefits of wider rim.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Several Specialized shops near me now have them in stock. I saw a set mounted up on 30mm ID rims and they looked huge! Almost like a plus tire, but not quite. Definitely larger than a 2.5 DHF WT. I didn't put a caliper on either tire but eyeballing they looked pretty true to size. I was considering putting a set on my Nomad 3 but after seeing them I'm not sure if the Slaughter would fit in the rear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus2405 View Post

I'm using 29mm internal width rims

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by hans2vt View Post
    I'm using 29mm internal width rims

Do you have a tire height measurement? Ground to top of tire tread. Thanks in advance!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    my butcher 2.6 on wtb asym 29 rim is 2.5" casing and 2.44 tread. So, casing is slightly wider than tread. its side knob profile is like that on the control/grid models, not the DH model, unfortunately. However, overall the knobs are a bit bigger than the 2.3's (which measure 2.2 casing and tread on wtb i25 rim.) My DHF on 29 mm rim is 2.45 tread 2.35 casing, if i remember correctly.
    The butcher, however, is a bit taller than the dhf. The dhf has 1/4" clearance in my fork, the butcher has a hair over 1/8" clearance. But, the mrp stage has tighter clearance than most forks I think. dont think i could really fit a butcher 2.8 in their.
    The butcher rides good, Im leaving it on for now. Running 20 psi at 210 lb, ran 24 in the DHF. But i am a bit disappointed, I was hopeing for a more aggressive side knob profile.
    Last edited by dwyooaj; 02-24-2017 at 09:46 PM.
    '18 banshee rune

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post
    my butcher 2.6 on wtb asym 29 rim is 2.5" casing and 2.44 tread. So, casing is slightly wider than tread. its side knob profile is like that on the control/grid models, not the DH model, unfortunately. However, overall the knobs are a bit bigger than the 2.3's (which measure 2.2 casing and tread on wtb i25 rim.) My DHF on 29 mm rim is 2.45 tread 2.35 casing, if i remember correctly.
    The butcher, however, is a bit taller than the dhf. The dhf has 1/4" clearance in my fork, the butcher has a hair over 1/8" clearance. But, the mrp stage has tighter clearance than most forks I think. dont think i could really fit a butcher 2.8 in their.
    The butcher rides good, Im leaving it on for now. Running 20 psi at 210 lb, ran 24 in the DHF. But i am a bit disappointed, I was hopeing for a more aggressive side knob profile.

awesome info! Looking for height though, ground to top of tire. Going to try to swing an almost plus tire in a 29er. Hoping for 28 1/4".

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Based on that it sounds like the Spesh 2.6s measure up more or less identical to the Schwalbe 2.6s. And the DHF WT measures up about the same as a Magic Mary 2.35.

I'm loving this tyre size, fitting them in my non-plus fork and frame is an awesome bonus.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    So that's the same size as the 2.35 magic mary on an i29 rim. I wonder if they will stretch any more? Kind of funny that I might have to go to a 2.8 minion to get a true 2.6" tire (though predictable, I suppose).

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Specialized Butcher and Slaughter 27.5 x 2.6

Quote Originally Posted by 52766 View Post
    Do you have a tire height measurement? Ground to top of tire tread. Thanks in advance!!
    On NS Fundamental rims about 29mm inner

Butcher front 28 1/4"

Slaughter rear 28 1/8"

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Butcher front 28 1/4"

Slaughter rear 28 1/8"

YOU ROCK!!! Thank you

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Wow, your 210lbs and ur running 20psi front? I'm running 24PSI on a 30mm and I'm 175lbs and likely 180-185lbs riding weight. I'm running them front and rear, rolling resistance is pretty high in the rear as the side knobs are touching if I run anything lower than 24 psi in the rear on my '17 Enduro 650b.

What type of terrain u riding? I'm thinking maybe 22psi up front and 25PSI in the rear.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I've been running Butchers 2.8 on the front and Slaughter 2.6 since mid Dec. For my weight + gear (155) find 18 front and 22 rear works extremely well on 35mm internal diameter rims.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Hans, do you happen to have a tread\casing width for the 2.6 Slaughter? Trying to decide if it will fit in the rear of my Norco Sight.

For what it's worth, I mounted a 2.6 Purgatory on Flow Mk III yesterday. Hasn't sat tubeless long and will probably stretch, but it is currently sitting at 62.5 mm (2.46 in) casing and 60.5 mm (2.38 in) tread.

Love that the slaughter rear seems to be not as tall, but the width may get me.

-Nate

Butcher front 28 1/4"

Slaughter rear 28 1/8"

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

slaughter width

slaughter 2.6 width - I don't have calipers, but with my tape measure I get between...

(tread width... casing doesn't look much different)

2 3/8ths to 2 7/16th
    or
    2.37500 to 2.4375

not sure what I expected, that's what I get
    Last edited by hans2vt; 03-26-2017 at 12:00 PM. Reason: additional info

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by LithiumMetalman View Post
    I've been running Butchers 2.8 on the front and Slaughter 2.6 since mid Dec. For my weight + gear (155) find 18 front and 22 rear works extremely well on 35mm internal diameter rims.
    What bike are you running them on?

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Are they the same size as the DHF 2.5? Knobs bigger then the 2.3?
    Yes
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    May 2016
    @irck

Kona Process 111, converted into plus mode for fun days

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Any rubbing issues on those 350's on hard cornering ? I'm running a hans dampf and there doesn't seem to be much more with space , but tons more for volume

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by maclgallant View Post
    Any rubbing issues on those 350's on hard cornering ? I'm running a hans dampf and there doesn't seem to be much more with space , but tons more for volume
    i didn't have any rubbing issues with the CR 350. currently for the summer i'm using my 888 fork and the height on that is barely tall enough but the only rub I get is when a little piece of gravel gets stuck in the tread.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks for the reply ... I'm debating going DHF 2.5wt , 2.6 or MagicMary 2.35

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Anyone tried mounting the 2.6's on a 40mm ID rim?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I wouldn't. Casing is already wider than tread on a 29 mm rim

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thread bump, any one try any other 2.6" tires on this fork? (DHF 2.6" MM/NN 2.6" etc)

Tantrumcycles #1
    Any one who knows how much bigger in radius a Slaughter 2.6 is compared to a 2.3?
    More then 10mm?

www.tantrumcycles.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I took off my 2.6 Slaughter moved to Maxxis Minnion DHF 2.5 WT. with frame and wheel flex my 2.6 was contacting my brake cable routed on inside of triangle but with 2.5 is not.

I don't have any width measurements though
    Last edited by hans2vt; 06-15-2018 at 02:23 AM. Reason: DHR not DHR!

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I am curious as to how the Slaughter (or other semislicks) handle in steep sandy/gravely downhill sections? Do the side knobs dig in when breaking or do you just skid around on the small center knobs?

After testing a "2.6" (<2.4'') Rekon I started to take interest in lower profile tread rear tires for the non-wet season. I only need loads of rear traction in 2 conditions: (wet) rock slabs and gravel downhill chutes. 2.6'' tires and low profile tires in general are great on rocks but are semi-slicks any good on loose gravel?

Hitching a ride
    The slaughter gives up traction but does not get better rolling resistance. There is no point to it, really.

Seeing this thread reminded me of the stack of Spec tires I have in my closet that I have zero interest in ever riding again - all 2018 models, 2.6 Purg, Butcher, Slaughter, 2.8 Slaughter and Butcher.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    The slaughter gives up traction but does not get better rolling resistance.
    compared to.... ?? And why don't you like the Butcher? I test drove a 29x2.6'' Butch/Purge combo for a couple of laps on my buddy's Stumpjumper and didn't really find anything major to be disappointed with.

Hitching a ride
    Compared to the Butcher or Purg. Or any tire that has some meat in the center.

What I didn't like is that these tires didn't fulfill the purpose they claimed to fill. If I want an aggressive 2.6, then I want a 2.6 tire with tall, stiff cornering knobs. The Spec tires are undersized and their side knobs aren't as stiff. I found other tires that did everything better.

If you want a fast all mountain semislick, the Morsa is what you want. It just came out in 2.6 also. If you're giving up some traction you need to get some speed in return.

I found the XR5, which isn't even billed as an enduro/am tire, to be better at that than the Butcher.