Anytime. Anywhere.

Specialized Butcher 2.8 Measurement?

I am considering these on 40mm internal rims, anyone measure the actual width. If they are as big as Maxxis I will probably go with them.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I am considering these on 40mm internal rims, anyone measure the actual width. If they are as big as Maxxis I will probably go with them.

After 1 ride and sitting overnight at 17psi on 40mm internal rims mine is measuring only 68mm. Not very wide but a good tire so far.

Weekdays..
    Dec 2009

68mm, Interesting...

Have you tried dhrii dd 2.7" or the 2.8" version, how does this 2.8" version of the butcher compare??
    video=youtube;][/video]...

Anytime. Anywhere.
    These are my first plus tires. I went with Butchers because the are 1/2 the price of Maxxis in Canada. My BB is a little low now, but that will only help cornering.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    2nd ride on the Butchers and I'm impressed. Loads of grip and they seem to roll very well. I PR'd a mostly descending segment today even though there was snow on quite a bit of it.

mtbr member
    Travis are these 29" or 27.5" tires? Have they grown more than the 68mm you reported originally?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    29, and they are still 68mm. Really like em so far.

mtbr member
    29, and they are still 68mm. Really like em so far.
    Thanks. I'm thinking that if they run 68mm on 40mm rim I should be able to fit one on the rear of riot with a 35mm rim without any issues.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Did you weight them before mounting, curious what the true weight would be.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    After 1 ride and sitting overnight at 17psi on 40mm internal rims mine is measuring only 68mm. Not very wide but a good tire so far.
    68mm at the casing or knobs? Do you have a pic of them on your i40mm rims?

Thanks

Anytime. Anywhere.
    After a while they stretched to 69.5mm knob to knob.

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Nov 2011
    I just put some on mine last night - 27.5+ version. I lost almost 3/4 pound going from the 3.0 Purgatory's. Traction is unbelievable! I nicknamed them the "Chainbreakers" because your chain will break before you lose traction climbing, lol. Cornering is spooky; you just lean the bike over and it is like its on a rail. I can carry way more speed into a corner and brake much less and still not break traction.

Had a friend of mine switch out his 29er from Minion DHF 2.5 to a Butcher 2.6 in the front, and from a Minion DHR 2.4 to a Butcher 2.3 in the rear. He also said he has way more traction with Butcher combo than with the DHF/DHR combo. We also did a test down a fire road to see how fast they rolled, and the 2.8's rolled noticeably faster than his.

I know this thread is about measurements - I pumped mine up to 35psi and I am going to let them sit for a day or two and let you know what I come up with. I think I just wanted to confirm that these tires are flippin awesome.
    We don't ride to add days to our life, we ride to add life to the days we have left here.

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Nov 2011
    Had them aired up to 35psi for a few days, then went for a few rides at 18psi. Just checked at 30psi, and they measure 71mm knob to knob on 38mm rims.

Having said that, I know Specialized brought their tire making in-house and almost all the new tires measure considerably less than the old tires. I might've just gotten some older 2.8's as the 2.6's are more popular around here.

Here they are next to a 3.0 Purgatory.
    Specialized Butcher 2.8 Measurement?-img_0268.jpg
    We don't ride to add days to our life, we ride to add life to the days we have left here.

WNC Native
    Can you measure the overall height of the 27.5 x 2.8 Butcher?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Anytime. Anywhere.
    717mm.

WNC Native
    717mm.
    Thanks!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Wait, so a 3.0 Purgatory is like a 2.4?

I don't get it; what do manufacturers gain by mis-labeling tires?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Specialized tires are undersized per the labeling and it is misleading to say the least. I just purchased a Butcher GRID 29x2.6 and they measure out to be a 2.25. I emailed them and will pass along what they say, but in my opinion they should send out a new tire.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Schril View Post
    Specialized tires are undersized per the labeling and it is misleading to say the least. I just purchased a Butcher GRID 29x2.6 and they measure out to be a 2.25. I emailed them and will pass along what they say, but in my opinion they should send out a new tire.
    I purchased a butcher grid 29 2.6. Mounted it up on a 30mm internal width rim @ 40 psi. After 24 hours it measure 2.39" casing and 2.35" at the knobs. I am sure once I dropped the pressure down normal riding pressure it would be close to 2.25-2.3. It's annoying to say the least to be that far off. I wish they'd do away with that iso measuring stuff and just print the tire size at normal pressures people run their tires. Last year I ran the 2.6 butcher grid on my 27.5 bike out front and it was an excellent tire. It measured 2.52 @ 25psi; so it was really close. I like it almost as much as the DHF 2.5 wt. Anyway, I returned the 29 butcher and going to try a dhf 2.5wt instead.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMeat View Post
    I purchased a butcher grid 29 2.6. Mounted it up on a 30mm internal width rim @ 40 psi. After 24 hours it measure 2.39" casing and 2.35" at the knobs. I am sure once I dropped the pressure down normal riding pressure it would be close to 2.25-2.3. It's annoying to say the least to be that far off. I wish they'd do away with that iso measuring stuff and just print the tire size at normal pressures people run their tires. Last year I ran the 2.6 butcher grid on my 27.5 bike out front and it was an excellent tire. It measured 2.52 @ 25psi; so it was really close. I like it almost as much as the DHF 2.5 wt. Anyway, I returned the 29 butcher and going to try a dhf 2.5wt instead.
    I have spoken with two Reps at Specialized and they both fed me a line of bs. Regardless, I am going to return it and get another brand of tire.