Smallest tyre on a 30mm rim?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Smallest tyre on a 30mm rim?

Hi guys

I have a pair of wheels made up with 30mm internal width rims made by Lightbicyle and I am wondering what's the narrowest tyre I should run on that rim? The reason I ask is I'm building up a XC frame (Pivot Les 29) and as I already have these wheels spare from another project, I didn't really want to splash out on new wheels too when these should be perfect. I am 225lbs so they shouldn't be overkill.

Many thanks

J

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    2.25 to be on the safe side. This is just my opinion though.

mtbr member
    Thatís about as narrow as Iíd consider going, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I went through a similar exercise recently as I transitioned away from plus tires. I found the following article:

https://www.bikerumor.com/2016/08/12...-best-results/

Near the end of the article, you'll see bikerumor's rule of thumb to be that the iD of your rims should be 50-65% of tire width.

I think that your biggest obstacle will be determining actual tire width. For example, maxxis' 2.4 is much different than schwalbe's 2.4. But with a 30mm iD, I think you're in a good place from a common mtb sizing perspective

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    It's very dependent on what trail conditions it's for. Narrow tyres can make the rim vulerable to direct rock impacts but fine for less rocky terrain. Keeping a rounded profile is also a factor for rolling resistance and grip.

My choice for 30mm inner-width rims for XC is 2.8/2.6 Rocket Rons. 2.3 tyres could be fine, but expect the side knobs to touch the ground more and increase rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I wouldn't hesitate to run wider 2.35 tires. Going narrow may actually hurt your XC build since the tire will have a square profile. For example, a 2.25 on a wide rim may cause the side lugs may come in contact with the ground...and with a 2.35 you would only contact the center tread. With this example, the 2.35 would actually roll faster due to less drag from the tread that contacts the ground.

mtbr member
    Thank you for your input. Do you have any suggestions for a good 2.35 wide XC tyre please?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Upset

Tire width isn't as important as roundness profile and volume. One 2.25 could be squared off on a 30mm inner while another could work great at pressures below where you can run the rim because of rim hits. Bontrager XR1 or 2 Team 2.25 and 2.35 have the rounded profile to work. They roll fast and last for loose over hardpack. 2.35 XR2 are arriving for existing orders from shops. So have your shop put an order in now if you want them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    For XC tires, its hard to beat the Maxxis 2.35 Ardent Race. Its a super popular tire and has great grip for the weight. Might be good to pair it out back with one of the new 29x2.35 Rekons up front. I think that'd be a KILLER XC/Trail combo.

mtbr member
    You could sell them and upgrade to lighter/faster 25mm rims and run whatever tire you want. Probably come out ahead too!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    You could sell them and upgrade to lighter/faster 25mm rims and run whatever tire you want. Probably come out ahead too!
    Word. Don't see why an XC bike needs 30mm internal width rim, lol!
    Unless you're on a "half-way" XC/Trail bike, of course. Then you'd be justified getting wider rims to play with AM/Enduro tires for the traction and stability.

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow4eva View Post
    Word. Don't see why an XC bike needs 30mm internal width rim, lol!
    Unless you're on a "half-way" XC/Trail bike, of course. Then you'd be justified getting wider rims to play with AM/Enduro tires for the traction and stability.

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk
    The bike doesnít ďneedĒ 30mm rims, the past 4 decades have done without wider rims. BUT like I say, I have the wheels already built up and ready to roll from another project (Waltworks Ultimate Warrior where Iíve tried numerous wheels sizes and tyre combinations) and I am over 225lbs s itís a case of running what Iíve got for now and if I figure the bike would benefit by having a lighter and more narrow wheelset then I might get some down the line.

Thanks to everyone chiming in on the tyre recommendations, I think Iíll give some Ardent Races a go...

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I would agree with eb1888. I have Spank 345's (30mm internal) and Ibis 935 (29mm internal) and have run tires from 2.2 to 2.35 on them and the model of tire makes more of a difference than the width. For bike tires you want the width of the rim to be between 35 - 70% of the tire width (depending on the manufacturer).

Maxxis Highroller 2 2.3 are too squared off on a 30mm rim, but a 2.25 Schwalbe Racing Ralph works just fine. I'm currently running a 2.25 Trail boss on the back of my Jekyll, replacing the High Roller 2 2.3. Rounder tires like WTB Trail Boss or Schwalbe Nobby Nics work well. DHF 2.3 is on 29mm rim and works well.

Good luck.
    Yeti SB150
    Yeti SB6c
    Pivot 4SL
    Litespeed Ultimate Gravel
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Cannondale Synapse
    Cannondale SuperX

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    One good reason to stay with 30mm rims is the added sidewall support you get from the wider rim. That lets you run lower pressure if you want it for different terrains.