A slick is a slick is a slick?- Mtbr.com
    mudnthebloodnthebeer

A slick is a slick is a slick?

I'm assuming there's no reason not to go with the cheapest ones I can find, but if anyone has a diffferent opinion I'm interested in hearing it. They'll be ridden exclusively on the road by a recreational rider/commuter in often wet conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by quaffimodo
    I'm assuming there's no reason not to go with the cheapest ones I can find, but if anyone has a diffferent opinion I'm interested in hearing it. They'll be ridden exclusively on the road by a recreational rider/commuter in often wet conditions.
    Not necessarily so.......that'd be like saying a knobbie is a knobbie is a knobbie.......
    with that said, I'd look for one that has at least some tread design (as opposed to totally "slick") to channel off water when riding in the wet. Are your roads smooth and debris free, or are you riding pot-holed streets littered with broken glass and assorted sharp things ??? If you have smooth, debris free roads, you could get by with a narrower, lighter tire...if your riding will be done on more abusive roads, you might consider wider, heavier (thicker) tires (perhaps kevlar belted). If weight/performance/durability aren't major concerns, then by all means just get the cheapest ones you can get.

Oct 2004

looking at the reviews...

it appears most slicks aren't very good in the wet. the Ritchey Tom Slick appears to be an exception. i just ordered a couple myself. they're only around $15 apiece.

aka Willy Vanilly
    Something else to consider: some of the tires with a kevlar/thorn resistant belt (although quite puncture resistant) aren't that durable (I think due to the belt...?). Well, I never got a flat (Specialized Nimubs Armadillo) with that front tire but the rubber started to crack and peel away from the casing. Not sure if it was a rubber compound thing, age thing, or due to the kevlar belt.

On the other hand, the Continental's that I commuted on were quite nice and lasted a long time. If you decide to look for something with a bit of tread, the Town and Country isn't a bad choice (if they still make em). It's a bit wider and more portly but there is a lot of tread/rubber.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
    E. F. Schumacher

sXe

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by quaffimodo
    I've used the Specialized Nimbus without problems on the wet. They are relatively cheap (like $20 or so) and have worked very well for me. I use them for training rides on the road (don't own a road bike) and all the time on my trainer setup.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

maybe not so

I had michelin city slick tires, found them inconsistent on corners and after having my rear tire slide out just one too many times I went with some specialized slicks (dont remember which ones, 1.95 of light, slick sticky goodness) and it was w rodl of difference. So the moral of the story is, i dont like michelin city slicks.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by daverk
    it appears most slicks aren't very good in the wet.
    Compared to what? There is simply less adhesion when it is wet. Same thing for mtb tires on wet rocks / wood. Sure, some tires are a little better in wet conditions than others, but overall it is going to be slippery regardless.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Specialized Hemisphere Armadillos are the way to go they are very puncture proof and roll very fast corner well and are built very rugged

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by daverk
    it appears most slicks aren't very good in the wet. the Ritchey Tom Slick appears to be an exception. i just ordered a couple myself. they're only around $15 apiece.
    The Ritchey Tom Slicks I have are better that two completely smooth models I had from Specialized and Conti, but still spooky cornering compared to two others I have which are Michelin Rock and Kenda Kwest. The last ones I mentioned roll well, corner well and handle loose sand on pavement and unpaved surfaces much better. My mother in law has Conti touring tires in Mtb. size that are better than slicks too.

The Ritcheys have gathered dust since I got the Michelins and Kendas with more tread, but they do deserve credit for long wear which could be hard rubber and thus the poor cornering. If you'll commute on road only the Ritcheys should be fine, but exchange them if you'll go on gravel, cinder or crusched commuter or rec trails. Unfortunately it seems the 2.1 inch Rocks I love are long gone, but 1.75 size are available.