Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010

Shout out to DERBY for standing behind their products.

I was in Sedona last week, and a rock gashed my new DERBY rear rim. It was user error, either rock strike or a rock flipped onto rim, resulting in a dent, small gash and hole. Derby has warranty info on their website, and generously offered me at least that deal, which is very great considering the damage was from rock and not manufacturer. This is my 1st set of carbon rims, and DERBY has made a long time customer in me. By the way, some of their 29er rims are on sale, 28 hole 35mm wide is $385 right now, although I would pay more for 32 hole version. Thumbs up DERBY.
    Shout out to DERBY for standing behind their products.-img_1695.jpg. By the way, I did another 4 hour Sedona ride with this gash. Then back home, did another 7000 feet of descending on a few rides, Tamarancho flow trail jumps, and Cinderella run in JMP, and this hole is stable, no crack has shown up, and I am pretty amazed! Thanks also go out to Wrench Science Bicycles of Berkeley, your premium bike dealer! They have full confidence in DERBY rims, and they build a ton of high end wheels/bikes at that shop. Check them out online for road bikes and Mt bikes (they specialize in high end complete bike builds, so tell your roadie friends).

mtbr member
    Same experience here. I cracked a rim after the warranty period had ended. He responded to my email within 24 hours from Outerbike in Moab on a Saturday night and I had a crash replacement at minimal expense shipped on Monday. That's the epitome of CS. Try getting that kind of service from one of the cheap Chinese carbon rim manufacturers.

mtbpete
    I agree, Derby has been a great brand for me.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Although I'm a big supporter of carbon rims, a few places in AZ are where I would not run them, there's too much loose solid rock in places like South Mountain where you can bounce up rocks just like that and put a huge dent/hole/crack in a rim, not to mention everything else you can catch. I ridden in some pretty gnarly terrain in other states, but I've found nothing that compares to some of these places like Goat Camp in AZ for being brutal on bikes and parts. If I lived in Phoenix and liked to ride those places, I'd have two wheelsets, one for abuse like that, and one for terrain without as much jagged rock. For me, Sedona has been fine with carbon wheels, but a few places in AZ are where I think twice about it, based on experience riding both there.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Love my Derbys and the owner is a great guy..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Same experience here.

Yep, Ray @ Derby has the best post-sale support in the business. I have a dozen+ stories like yours, where Ray went above and (often way) beyond what his own warranty covers. Great guy, great business model.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Yeah Jayhem, I definitely needed to clean up some NORCAL habits when riding in Sedona. No flipping rocks, and cactus thorns went through the shoes of about 1/2 of the 7 CA guys. OUCH! Sealant gets on your bike too, from small thorn punctures you didnt know about. Ray from DERBY is very kind, and you can tell that he is still super stoked on his product. Now I want to try the wide 27.5 rims as a plus/fat tire setup, but need boost fork.