Shimano high engagement freewheel strength -- Shimano XT FH-M775 & SLX FH-M629- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Shimano high engagement freewheel strength -- Shimano XT FH-M775 & SLX FH-M629

I'm wondering what people's experience have been with the new Shimano high engagement rear hubs. It seemed that Shimano had a low cost and reliable XT hub with the popular FH-M756. The main gripe people had was the slow engagement - 18 POE (20 degrees).

So then Shimano eventually evolved to the current FH-M775 with 36 POE (10 degrees) and centerlock. However, early units seemed to have a lot of problems with broken freewheel pawls. Has this now been fully resolved? Are these now the reliable value hubs that Shimano XT was once known for?

Shimano then also released a 12-36 cassette for 29er wheels in their SLX group. They found that their std. hubs would not pass the ISO test requirements of 1,500N force on the crank while in that 36 tooth gear. This led to the new High-Torque rated hubs in their SLX group: the FH-M529 (6-bolt ISO) and FH-M629 (centerlock). These hubs are advertised as having 32 POE (11.25 degrees). These hubs are not widely available in the US yet, but can be purchased from several sources overseas, such as Chain Reaction Cycles. Does anyone have experience using these hubs? Have they surpassed the strength and reliability of the old 756 hubs, but with higher engagement? Seems like Shimano needs to standardize on this stronger high-torque freewheel design and get it into the XT lineup and out for the masses.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=40550

This is the FH-M529. High flange, 6-bolt ISO, high-torque 32 POE (11.25 degrees) for $50. Seems like a possible value if the seals and bearings are closer to the XT line than the Deore line.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The Shimano web site has the following engagement rear hub information. How does one deduce from these details what the engagements of the hubs are, and why are hub manufactures so cryptic regarding hub engagement?

• XTR New FH body design for quicker pawl engagement (more than 125% faster compared to current model)
    • XT Quicker engagement free hub body (10 degrees)
    • SLX Micro ratchet mechanism freehub: Quicker engagement (11.25 degree) & faster acceleration

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bruneti
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=40550

This is the FH-M529. High flange, 6-bolt ISO, high-torque 32 POE (11.25 degrees) for $50. Seems like a possible value if the seals and bearings are closer to the XT line than the Deore line.
    from the description: • 29” wheel specific

what the hell is that?

mtbr member
    they hold higher torque.. they're also heavier, kind of a lot heavier if i remember correctly.

looking at the numbers though, it appears the normal slx hub has less poe than the xt.. i think all the centerlock xt hubs fixed the broken pawl issue?

shimanos lightening up for 2010 too, they're finally going to be competitive as higher end hubs if they'd only ditch the damn centerlock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_k
    from the description: • 29” wheel specific

what the hell is that?
    Read post#1. The answer is there in the 3rd paragraph.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    FH-M529 is 6-bolt ISO.
    FH-M629 is centerlock.

Both have 32 points of engagements (11.25 degrees)
    Both are high-torque freewheels to handle the increased torque combination generated by a 36 tooth cassette on a 29" wheel.
    Both are new to the SLX line and will be available in the US shortly. Already available overseas.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    http://www.bikemagic.com/gear-news/s...hubs/6823.html

Still curious if the issues with the FH-M775 freewheel are now resolved. There were lots of early failures reported.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bruneti
    http://www.bikemagic.com/gear-news/s...hubs/6823.html

Still curious if the issues with the FH-M775 freewheel are now resolved. There were lots of early failures reported.
    Mine are resolved. My replacement for a freehub which locked up solid doesn't have any of the click and pop symptoms that the previous specimen exhibited since day one. I assume that the original freehub was a lemon or that a manufacturing problem has been corrected.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Can somebody that physically has a FH-M529 confirm that the freehub has 32 engagement points by counting "clicks"? The Shimano webpage here suggest that the FH-M629 has the 32 engagement point freehub and the FH-M529 does not. Also, if you look the part numbers for the freehubs in the Shimano techdocs, the FH-M529 and the FH-M595 (new centerlock Deore hub) share the same freehub PN# Y-3SW98060. None of the literature suggest the FH-M595 has a 32 POE freehub. Further, if you look at the techdocs for the FH-M629 and the FH-M665 (SLX centerlock hub) they share the same freehub PN# Y3D3 98080. The FH-M665 is advertised as having the 32 POE micro-ratchet freehub. So maybe all the "new" Shimano hubs are beefed up for 29'er duty?

mtbr member
    I have yet another question - are the freehubs steel? I'm guessing they are, since XT's are and esp since these are meant for the 12-36 cassette. I'm considering these ( among half dozen others) and one thing's for sure - they're cheap. $106 the set, shipped from CRC. At 675g for the pair, they don't look too bad against 525g hubs at $350 to $400 a pair.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have to dig out this old thread, since I am on the subject at the moment. I was in one of our local bike shops and checked out the following hubs:

FH-M770 - 36 clicks
    FH-M665 - 32 clicks
    FH-M629 - 32 clicks
    FH-M529 - 16 clicks
    FH-M590 - 16 clicks (FH-M595 uses the same freehub body)

So half-squid and the Shimano tech docs are absolutely right. FH-M529, -M590, -M595 share the same freehub body and have low engagement.
    SLX hubs and FH-M629 also use the the same freehub body (identical part number) and have the micro ratchet.

You can interchange the freehub bodies, because they have the same spline interface. However the total length of the micro ratchet freehub bodies is about 2mm longer compared to the conventional freehub bodies. That's why they won't fit so nicely into non micro ratchet hubs.

FH-M770 has 36 clicks, however the freehub body is not interchangable with the above hubs, because it uses a thicker aluminum axle instead of the 10mm steel axle. The splined interface has a lager diameter and 15 splines instead of 10 splines with the old style hubs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Are lighter people [ 170 lbs] people having problems with M775 for general 29er use with a 10spd 36T ?
    Shimano use the same freehub in in their WH-MT75 29er wheelset.
    The M529/629 seem to be on the market purely to pass EU specs rather than a response to M775 freehub failures.

I've never really looked in to Shimano hub specs before. I've got a spare 29er wheel build [ not singlespeed] coming up so this has enlightened me. Looks like you have to get a centrelock hub to get the best specs. Six bolters seem to be lower spec. M529[ 6 bolt 29er] freewheel may be more bullet proof than M629[ CL 29er] with it's 16 POE 12.5 degree design?
    I'm thinking best go for M756 or M529 for single speeding. SLX M629 and M665 seem to be the same[ different axle nut only?] and use similar freehub design as Saint so could give a a lighter CL option for general 29er use? The shimano site has the SLX M665 lighter than the M775 XT and it's oversize alloy axle?

Anyone got any actual weights for any of these shimano hubs. Shimano says M665 is 384gm with QR. Starbike weight weenie site says 382 excluding QR?
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 04-05-2011 at 05:08 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I can confirm, that Shimano SLX FH-M665 hub is 381g without OR

weight of FH-M775

image from www.spreebiker.de
    Last edited by Ecke87; 04-09-2011 at 10:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks. That's not bad is it. My Centre lock adapter is about 30gms.

Harrumph
    Thread Revival! I came across this thread in a round about manner and felt the need to throw in my .02 That said I would highly recommend the 529/629 hubs. The hubs are suuuper cheap and I believe lighter than the XT's. The seals on the bearings are less complex and would require a rebuild more often. I think the bearings are on par, the freehub superior in quality. I've got 1500+mi on these hubs on my Pugsley with very light/low temp grease in nothing but poor conditions. And they roll smooth as anything to this day.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

Short-Change-Hero
    I agree with G-reg.. I have the M629 on my 29er and love the thing. Quick engagement, not super loud but loud enough to hear it, rolls SMMMOOOOTTTHHH, and for the price you cant go wrong. Now I just want to see if you can convert the front hub (M629) to a thru-axle instead of the QR, I am assuming so since the SLX FH-M665 comes in a thru-axle version.

Former Bike Wrench
    Hub shell is different for the 15mm SLX than the QR SLX so the M629 is not going to be convertible to anything other than 9mm bolt up.

mtbr member
    I wish they made a 36H 629 rear hub. I'm a big guy building a budget cross/touring rig and it sounds like a good solution.

Shimano is using the 'micro-ratchet' terminology with regards to the new M785 XT hubs but I cant find whether they claim to have any stronger of a freehub.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    I wish they made a 36H 629 rear hub. I'm a big guy building a budget cross/touring rig and it sounds like a good solution.

Shimano is using the 'micro-ratchet' terminology with regards to the new M785 XT hubs but I cant find whether they claim to have any stronger of a freehub.
    They make the SLX M665 hub in 36 hole, same freehub body as the M629

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post

The M665 has what you're looking for: cheap, 36H, reliable 36pt freehub

meow, meow.
    I've been recommending M665 over M756 for my customers for a while now.. many are afraid of Centerlock interface (being a mechanic, I kind of like CL more than 6 bolts).
    26" rigid SS 4130 BB7 nylon-flats ESI latex-tubes non-lubricated-8spd

Short-Change-Hero
    Is there a good maintanence manual for tearing down the Shimano freehubs. Dont think mine needs it right now but figured it would be something I could do this winter once the snow hits.

Harrumph
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Is there a good maintanence manual for tearing down the Shimano freehubs. Dont think mine needs it right now but figured it would be something I could do this winter once the snow hits.
    Taking it apart is possible and there is a tool to do so, but there's really no point. It takes a ton of torque to open it up is a huge pain to put it back together and you can't get replacement parts anyway.

I do recommend the morning star "freehub buddy" for maintenance. I use it relatively often so despite being an odd tool it's probably paid for itself a few times over.

On another note here's a crappy cell phone pic of the 529/629 freehub body.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shimano high engagement freewheel strength -- Shimano XT FH-M775 & SLX FH-M629-img_20110801_175759-1.jpg  

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...and-adjustment
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...reehub-service

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So how many engagement points are there in the MT65 wheelset?

scholar and gentleman
    Gonna raise this thread from the dead again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecke87 View Post
    So half-squid and the Shimano tech docs are absolutely right. FH-M529, -M590, -M595 share the same freehub body and have low engagement.
    SLX hubs and FH-M629 also use the the same freehub body (identical part number) and have the micro ratchet.

You can interchange the freehub bodies, because they have the same spline interface. However the total length of the micro ratchet freehub bodies is about 2mm longer compared to the conventional freehub bodies. That's why they won't fit so nicely into non micro ratchet hubs.
    ^^^ Has anyone here tried this?

My new bike came with m529 hubs and I'm not thrilled with the 16 POE. Thinking of trying to swap in the m629 freehub body to get more engagement without replacing the whole hub.

Do the extra 2mm length make it impractical? Do you need a different washer, seal ring, or bolt to hold it in?

Harrumph
    No, very different freehub bodies. 529/629 hubs are really cheap, IF you could even find just the freehub it might cost the same as a complete hub.

Harrumph
    Just in case you don't believe me here's my second cellphone pic of the thread. The 529/629 freehub slapped on a XT body: Again if you could even find just a body, it won't work anyway. The axle would bend in no time at the basically unsupported joint.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shimano high engagement freewheel strength -- Shimano XT FH-M775 & SLX FH-M629-hub.jpg  

Harrumph
    Ok, to make up for the cellphone pics here's one with a real camera. I've got a couple K on these guys now and rebuilt a few times, as much due to the super light weight grease used for the winter than because of the "lesser" seals. They see LOTS of torque through the big rear cog and all the grip from a fat tire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shimano high engagement freewheel strength -- Shimano XT FH-M775 & SLX FH-M629-dscn0594snowday2-2.jpg  

scholar and gentleman
    G-reg, just to clarify/make sure I'm not getting confused:

I was referring to trying to put the 32-POE y-3d3 98080 freewheel body (from the m665/m629 centerlock hubs, can’t post links yet but you can google Shimano’s tech doc) on the 6-bolt m529 hub in place of its native Y-3SW 98060 freewheel body which has only 16 POE.

I'm pretty sure all of them are SLX level, with 665 being centerlock, 629 centerlock/niner-specific, and 529 6-bolt/niner-specific. And for some reason, Shimano won’t put a 32-POE freewheel body on a 6-bolt hub. Right?

Anyway, it seems your point’s validity may not be affected by the nomenclature. Are you saying the 629/665’s freewheel body will have the same issue on the m529 hub as on the XT hub you showed?

I'm just less inclined to spring for the upgrade if it means rebuilding the wheel with new spoke lengths (due to different flange) and CL rotor…

scholar and gentleman
    Maybe I should just say screw it, throw away the freewheel body entirely, and put together a sweet rigid/fixie/brakeless AM build instead.

I could use proceeds from all those parts sales to pay the ensuing medical bills.

Harrumph
    Huh, misunderstood the breakdown of "9er specific " hubs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly B View Post
    Maybe I should just say screw it, throw away the freewheel body entirely, and put together a sweet rigid/fixie/brakeless AM build instead.

I could use proceeds from all those parts sales to pay the ensuing medical bills.
    Run bigger gears! The higher your gearing the less you'll notice low POE hubs.

Save for a new wheelset or look for a decent used wheelset and keep those stock wheels around as a spare wheelset. You'll never think you need a spare rear wheel until you trash a freehub the day before a race or cycling vacation.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The differences between the 755 and 756 is the 755 used a steel spline in the hub. The 755 also uses a cassette 2mm longer than the 756 which is also the same used in the HF07 tandem hub. What Shimano should have done is keep making the 755. Now tandem users are left high and dry if they bust a cassette. Unless the 529 629 is compatible with the 755 HF07 if so I will publish on the tandem lists. Does anyone know if the 529 629 has the higher strength steel insert?

Just hit it with speed
    I read the thread and maybe I am dense, but what is the difference between the 629 and 665 hub?
    Don't hate on the minivan!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    No difference between the 629 and 665 Shimano just likes to make a new every year.
    Last edited by zerodish; 07-01-2012 at 05:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    tagged. i'm getting the 529 soon.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Members who have read this thread: 2