Second Wheelset or New Bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Second Wheelset or New Bike

I know, I know, always get the new bike but hear me out. I have a Pivot Mach 5.5 with a set of LB 34mm internal width rims and 27.5x2.6 Nobby Nics.

How much difference will I feel if I was to get a second set of XC-bias wheels and 27.5x2.35 tires?

Or, do I just get a mid-travel 29er like a Ripley V4 and incur the wrath of the wife?
    Sycip Unleaded 650B
    Sycip Ti Gravel

mtbr member
    You should def get a new set of wheels, as long as they're attached to a new bike. A new Ripley would be an excellent choice, IMO.

Seriously, I think diff wheels and tires on your Mach 5.5 would make very little diff. Going to a 29er Ripley would be a very significant diff.

That said, I do prefer non+ tires.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I tried the 2 wheelsets, 1 bike thing and what I didn't realize that is unless you want to pay up for a second set of rotors and a cassette, it's a bit of pain to keep swapping those back and forth. Also, you may need to realign rotors with each swap and make minor derailleur adjustments. It's not a big deal, but just something to be aware of.

Ultimately, I opted for a second bike for a number of reasons like having a backup, covering a wider range than you can with just a tire swap, and just because n+1.

damned rocks...
    I have both tires but in 29, honestly I notice more difference swapping bikes with same tires, then swapping tires with same bike.
    My rims are 21mm 26mm and 30mm ID.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Here's an idea: instead of getting a new wheelset right away, why not just get some new tires and put them on your existing wheels. If you find yourself occasionally missing the 2.6 NN,. THEN get a second wheelset.

To be honest I have not had a lot of fun on plus tires and I've not heard any compliments about the 2.6 NN. Getting off those tires may make you happy with the bike you have for another year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    2.6 are NOT really "plus" tires. Yeah, they're big, but "plus" starts at 2.8, which is a whole different ballgame. That said, I had a Mach 5.5, tried every tire/wheel combo I could think of, and it always felt sluggish. Have a Ripley now and it's light years less sluggish.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

Rider
    I'd get a second bike, then a second set of wheels for each bike. Don't skimp in the rotors and cassette.

mtbr member
    Great input on the Pivot - I really feel like the Pivot but while great going down, just feels wallowy climbing - and I've done a ton of testing on both the X2 and the DPX2 shocks.
    Sycip Unleaded 650B
    Sycip Ti Gravel

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input all - I'm gonna blame my divorce on MTBR! I'm going to start doing a little research on low-mid travel 29ers.
    Sycip Unleaded 650B
    Sycip Ti Gravel

Rider
    I'd put an Agarro 2.6 on the back and Mazza 2.6 on the front of your LB wheelset. They'll be about 2.5" wide.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by cchough View Post

How much difference will I feel if I was to get a second set of XC-bias wheels and 27.5x2.35 tires?
    Depends. Are you going to ride xc trails instead of the trails you'd normally ride with the All MTN setup?
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

NedwannaB
    ?? OP already has 2.6's.
    Good suggestions on tyres(I have them) but they won't make up the difference desired.
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

Old enough to remember ..
    Quote Originally Posted by cchough View Post
    Or, do I just get a mid-travel 29er like a Ripley V4 and incur the wrath of the wife?
    All depends. Do you know how to cook? That would solve one problem, but there are a few additional ones.
    Cheers

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
    Coldstream BC Canada

mtbr member
    Realistically, I don't do a whole lot of All Mountain riding. If you're familiar with N.Cal riding, most of my riding is Wilder, Santa Teresa, Demo. I thought I'd ride my HT on more of the XC stuff but the lack of rear suspension was harder than I thought on the old back. So I ended up riding the 5.5 on more XC stuff than I planned.
    Sycip Unleaded 650B
    Sycip Ti Gravel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RhB HJ View Post
    All depends. Do you know how to cook? That would solve one problem, but there are a few additional ones.
    LOL - I can definitely cook. But I did recently acquire a mid-life-crisis-mobile so I'm on thin ice as far as toy purchasing goes...
    Sycip Unleaded 650B
    Sycip Ti Gravel