Searching for the very best hubset....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Searching for the very best hubset....

I'm looking to upgrade my Chris King set to something better. Yes, there's some very cool things about the King hubs, but there's a number of drawbacks too. King hubs require more maintenance than any set I've owned. They are noisy. The anodizing (red in my case) deteriorates fairly quickly, and not uniformly (rear hub is nearly pink while the front still looks pretty good). No, Chris King doesn't warranty for color fading issues. I'm over it! Next!

I also own a set of Stan's wheels and hubs, but they are pretty noisy too. So, my question is.... who makes a lightweight, high-quality set of hubs that are also QUIET? Quiet is so nice when you're riding along up in the mountains. Also, it would be great if the hubset didn't have to cost a fortune.

Suggestions, anyone? Thanks in advance!

Former Bike Wrench
    True Precision hubs are dead quiet and instant engagement...but not light.

DT 240s hubs are very light and pretty dang quiet, but only 18 poe (can be upgraded to 36 poe).

transmitter~receiver
    dt swiss
    tune
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    that noise is the bike telling you to HTFU and pedal

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by splice35mm
    I'm looking to upgrade my Chris King set to something better. Yes, there's some very cool things about the King hubs, but there's a number of drawbacks too. King hubs require more maintenance than any set I've owned. They are noisy. The anodizing (red in my case) deteriorates fairly quickly, and not uniformly (rear hub is nearly pink while the front still looks pretty good). No, Chris King doesn't warranty for color fading issues. I'm over it! Next!

I also own a set of Stan's wheels and hubs, but they are pretty noisy too. So, my question is.... who makes a lightweight, high-quality set of hubs that are also QUIET? Quiet is so nice when you're riding along up in the mountains. Also, it would be great if the hubset didn't have to cost a fortune.

Suggestions, anyone? Thanks in advance!
    Fixed gear Phil Wood.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I say invest in a pair of ear earplugs and get used to pink I am curious to see if there are any new hub offerings that would sway me away from my trusty Kings.

mtbr member
    Kings are pretty loud.. Im indifferent to the noise, but I can definitely see how someone would get tired of it.

Good ol XTR is always an option too.. basically silent.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot
    Kings are pretty loud.. Im indifferent to the noise, but I can definitely see how someone would get tired of it.

Good ol XTR is always an option too.. basically silent.
    Kings is like bee buzzing not too bad, Industry Nine is like an angry rattler but I like it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You can't really get better than DT-Swiss 240's... You can get different but not really better when you're talking real world riding.

mtbr member
    Id say anyone with more than 18pts is better, real world. Their 36pt doesnt seem to be holding up that fantastic.

I like DT swiss, a lot. I like them enough to run 36pt stars and replace them when they bust, but its not the most robust design around. Id say you can get quite a bit better than DT.

I dig trails!
    This is a very nice write up, allows you to filter through the points that are important to you:

HUB SHOWDOWN :: Chris King, Hadley, Industry Nine, DT, Stealth, and Hope

http://www.dropmachine.com/Reviews/h...hope-a581.html

P

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have pretty much decided on xtr, noise being one one of the reasons. Also, they are low maintenance from everything I have heard/read... And 36 point... And they look awesome IMO...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Z, the newer shimano system is stupid easy to rebuild. half the small parts they used to have.

The Cheater
    Indeed "best" really depends on what you're looking for in a hub. There's no good in everything...
    Titux X Carbon 2010 race 9.93kg
    Titux X 2009 "Deore 2012" training 11.55kg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P
    This is a very nice write up, allows you to filter through the points that are important to you:

HUB SHOWDOWN :: Chris King, Hadley, Industry Nine, DT, Stealth, and Hope

http://www.dropmachine.com/Reviews/h...hope-a581.html

P
    Nice write up on the hubs, thanks for posting.

Pocket Pool Savant
    I like my American Classic. They are almost silent, unless you're really trying to hear them.

As for the Kings. If they were mine, I'd take them apart, submerge them in Purple Power, wait until the anno is off and polish them up with 000, then 0000 steel wool, then some mothers.

Nothing better than polished. Black spokes, colored nips and silver/polished rims.

AJ
    "Stop smirking. It's irritating" - Judge Judy

Custom Wheelbuilder
    If your looking for quiet and high quality, the DTs may be a good way to go. They are quite a bit quieter than the Kings and they are exceptional in wet conditions.
    Whatever you end up choosing, I would advise to stay away from the Tunes. We have seen alot of those come back with creaking issues due to incorrect machining of the pawls. Because of it we actually stopped carrying them.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If a red anodized part has turned pink it is
    usually because they didn't seal the part right
    or forgot to seal it. This should be replaced
    by King.

Best, John

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hadley...oh I just love my Hadley. Still a slight buzzing but nothing like a King and sweet 72 POI. Rolls better than a King also, Easy to maintain and convertable for almost any axle setup you might need. I'm running a 10mm thru axle on my Prophet.

Those True Precision hubs are really intersting and would love to try em out.
    2016 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b SOLD

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yes Hadley hubs are nice, but kind of heavy.

Best, John

mtbr member
    +1 xtr.

cup and cone is the superior technology.

Ultimated Outsider
    Why not just replaces the shell, if you ask them nicely they might give you discount on the $85 prices.
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

mtbr member

thanks for the help!

Great answers! This is MTBR at it's best. Many thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcseforsale
    I like my American Classic. They are almost silent, unless you're really trying to hear them.

As for the Kings. If they were mine, I'd take them apart, submerge them in Purple Power, wait until the anno is off and polish them up with 000, then 0000 steel wool, then some mothers.

Nothing better than polished. Black spokes, colored nips and silver/polished rims.

AJ
    Would this method of removing the red anno definitely work? Has anyone done this? Very, VERY tempting to try, but I hate to make the color situation any worse.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Hadley's for many reasons

-the weight issue is meaningless, because the difference is due to a non-alloy freehub body. This makes the Hadley's more durable and resistant to freehub wear at the cassette contact points. There is no performance difference for anyone who reads this forum. Nobody reading this is a good enough rider to be affected by an ounce or two on the hub. But everyone who rides is affected by durability.
    -Hadly's are not silent, but they are reasonably quiet for any hub having such a great engagement.
    -The article on the hub comparison is a very detailed review worth reading.
    -The best hubs are versatile enough to work with multiple types of axels, ensuring a long useful life on many bikes despite market trends,
    Cheers

Ow!
    Interesting thread.

I mainly used Kings over that last 10 years. All of them fade, but it sounds like yours faded too quickly, so I agree that King should replace or offer a deal on a new shell. And I never thought that Kings were high maintenance. I had more maintenance with Shimano many years ago, but it sounds like their quality has greatly improved.

But if you want quiet, engagement, and quality, then, as previously stated, True Precision. I have a rear hub on my do-it-all bike, and it is superb (so far). But expensive new (I bought used at a very low price). And heavy, but so am I.

I would say stick with your Kings if you are looking at long-term use. Maintenance, when necessary, is not too involved, and I got used to the bees (kind of miss it on the TP).

The Cheater
    - Weight issue is important when you're trying to build a bike as light as possible for carrying over the shoulder or hellish climbs
    - There's engagement points to consider
    - Cost vs reliability. Sure Kings last forever but you can get faster lighter Novatec hubs that require cheap bearing replacements every 6 months or so to perform like new again.
    - Freehub noise. It's all a matter of taste...
    Titux X Carbon 2010 race 9.93kg
    Titux X 2009 "Deore 2012" training 11.55kg

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    so the noise heirarchy goes something like this?

Hope > CK > Industry9 > Hadley > DT > True

All fat, all the time.
    Hah yah something like that
    The I9's have a bit of a tinny metal sound compared to the King's though, all personal preference I guess.
    Haven't heard a hub louder than the Hope though. I got used to it, the price & quality is hard to beat.

~ B A D A S S ~
    There is no way to upgrade from Kings, you sidegrade

DT - lighter and good seals and durability, low engagement, the high engagement internal stuff sucks ass and it was machined by a blind monkey (just look at all the 1000 pics here...)

Hadley - same **** different day, and different mechanism

Phil - added durability and longetivity, 20 POE?? 1985 called..

White Industries - rumored to be bulletproof and kind of silent, spares are available, easily servicable, but low POE. They have titanium stuff in their hubs. And STEEL axles.

I9 - who?? Same tech as all the taiwan crap, just with more clicks making it even more fragile.

XTR - cheap 36POE probably longer lasting than everything except WI and Phil woods, from what I've read.

True precision - unlimited POE and silent.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

meow meow
    light and quiet- dt all the way.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    This is one of the most constructive and informative threads on mtbr.com that I have seen in a long time. While many people have different opinions on what they like in a hub, each one has its value. I like a quiet and super reliable low maintenance hub. So, it is only obvious that I love the XTR and DT. Both have served me well over the years. But, I wish they had more bling in their appearance. Maybe next time I will try the instant engagement of the True Precision. Has anyone seen a similar thread comparing high end wheelsets lately? I see pieces on specific wheelsets here and there, but they are usually bash sessions. I am contemplating a new lightweight and reliable wheelset with direct pull spokes. The mtbr reviews take a long time to get enough reviews on a product to determine its true value. I may have to start a new thread.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Lite & reliable are the opposites of the spectrum, also it doesn't really matter if its heavy when the mass is situated in the center of the moving mass.

Direct pull spokes = shady pseudo science, you save what 2,1 grams there?? And getting replacement crapola spokes takes 7 weeks?

You probably don't have to dive into the the reviews to figure that out. The "reviews" are in the forums now.

How can you compare wheels? Either they break or not, either spongy or not, this is a measurement and desicion that is better taken by computers imo.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Specialized sucks ass.

~ B A D A S S ~
    wtf double

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone
    There is no way to upgrade from Kings, you sidegrade

DT - lighter and good seals and durability, low engagement, the high engagement internal stuff sucks ass and it was machined by a blind monkey (just look at all the 1000 pics here...)

Hadley - same **** different day, and different mechanism

Phil - added durability and longetivity, 20 POE?? 1985 called..

White Industries - rumored to be bulletproof and kind of silent, spares are available, easily servicable, but low POE. They have titanium stuff in their hubs. And STEEL axles.

I9 - who?? Same tech as all the taiwan crap, just with more clicks making it even more fragile.

XTR - cheap 36POE probably longer lasting than everything except WI and Phil woods, from what I've read.

True precision - unlimited POE and silent.
    Good post. You really can't have it all with hubs. You have to pick what you want and what you're willing to deal with. For my money its Chris King.

~ B A D A S S ~
    They are pretty much all compromises. I got a new wheel for one of my bikes and it was built with a Shimano SLX rear hub. I think its a 30 POE mechanism, just had my first ride on it today and it feels really good. It sounds like a swiss precision watch, very silent, and as far as I can tell engagement is pretty much instant. Really good hub for the money, since it costed almost nothing. Its a heavy beast but heavy = much steel in there = reliable.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Wow!
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Profile Racing's Elite hubs.
    Not cheap or quiet, but they excell in every other regard.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dperalta
    Wow!
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Profile Racing's Elite hubs.
    Not cheap or quiet, but they excell in every other regard.
    Interesting. 204 pt. engagement - $450

This one is $270, (edit - 48 pt engagement ?)

I had no idea they were making either.
    Last edited by 92gli; 05-26-2011 at 06:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I just laced up a set of elites for a friend last week. I've been running the single speed BMX version on my race bike since December and I'm very happy with them. If they can stand up to gate starts by some of the most powerful riders in the world I don't think durability will be an issue. They're a bit noisy but have much less drag than Kings or I9s.
    I believe the older hubs have 48pt or 7.5 degree engagement.

David

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dperalta View Post
    I believe the older hubs have 48pt or 7.5 degree engagement.

David
    You may be right. The message I got from profile was "4 pawl with 24 teeth on the ring, 2 pawls engaged on each click." Am I supposed to multiply 24x2 ? It was a weird way to answer my question.

mtbr member
    My LBS (in Switzerland) was telling me about these hubs from product of passion. I'd not heard of them before.

POP-PRODUCTS.CH

However not being so technical, I wondered how they stack up against Kings or DT Swiss?

Here's the spec - POP-PRODUCTS 2012

Can anyone help me out?

Need to decide on the hubs for a set of Enve AMs Thanks.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by philhumphrey View Post
    My LBS (in Switzerland) was telling me about these hubs from product of passion. I'd not heard of them before.

POP-PRODUCTS.CH

However not being so technical, I wondered how they stack up against Kings or DT Swiss?

Here's the spec - POP-PRODUCTS 2012

Can anyone help me out?

Need to decide on the hubs for a set of Enve AMs Thanks.
    Bonded hubs have been done before and failed. 30pt doesnt impress me either. They look expensive, dont see the point unless you put grams before everything else.

mtbr member
    Alright thanks. Im building a new AM rig and i see in the brochure intended use XC.
    So i should steer clear of these hubs then?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    My wheels had been the hubs off my original Hammerhead, which was ~2005 or so. They were Magura hubs which were rebranded DT swiss and they have bounced off of several bikes because they were bombproof.

Then I went thru axle on the front and had a new front wheel, Stans Flow with a Hope hub. Great wheel.

Now I am thinking it is time for a new rear wheel. Definitely want another Stans Flow on the back, they have been great rims. The biggest problem is the noise at this point. This is an incredibly loud hub.

Thinking of putting a DT Swiss 240 on a Stans Flow.

Any thoughts?
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hi Guys,

For anyone looking for the Hub Showdown article mentioned on the previous page, it can be found here: Hub Showdown - Chris King, Hadley, Industry Nine, DT, Stealth, and Hope | RIDING FEELS GOOD

mtbr member
    Just picked up a set of Profile Classic SS hubs. They are pretty sweet, I have been riding Profile hubs on my BMX bike for a few years so I know how awesome they are already. Gotta love some shiny, American made, solid hubs!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Searching for the very best hubset....-100_1292.jpg  

My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Spindelatron View Post
    that noise is the bike telling you to HTFU and pedal
    Hah! So true, or to shift into the correct gear for your leg speed. Cycling is not for laziness, but for any combination of fun/personal challenge/health improvement.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    Lite & reliable are the opposites of the spectrum, also it doesn't really matter if its heavy when the mass is situated in the center of the moving mass.

Direct pull spokes = shady pseudo science, you save what 2,1 grams there?? And getting replacement crapola spokes takes 7 weeks?

You probably don't have to dive into the the reviews to figure that out. The "reviews" are in the forums now.

How can you compare wheels? Either they break or not, either spongy or not, this is a measurement and desicion that is better taken by computers imo.
    Your hub weight does matter to a relatively small degree when climbing or sprinting from stop/accel. Additional weight is a burden on climbs and a benefit on descents, though I digress that most improvements one can gain in performance are more physical/fitness than externalized in material selection through hubs. It's nice to have a balance chosen on engineered weight tolerances of machined products, as opposed to outright lightest extreme parts that are not made specifically for known weight load limitations or those AT LEAST matching the riders weight and force.

You hear a lot of people outwardly asking what the best hub is and that is asking a loaded question that depends on many things, the most of which is rider weight and physical fitness/ability. The "best hub" for a 160lb rider climbing mountains will not be the same as the "best" hub for a 200lb rider doing xc on cobblestone. Same goes for almost any bike part. You have to ask yourself questions, be honest with yourself about your ability, weight and the terrain you will ride most often. Then, finding the right product will become realistic.

mtbpete
    Shimano XTR are very quiet and durable. DT Swiss 350's upgraded to 36 point engagement are a great value.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by donnieboy View Post
    Your hub weight does matter to a relatively small degree when climbing or sprinting from stop/accel. Additional weight is a burden on climbs and a benefit on descents, though I digress that most improvements one can gain in performance are more physical/fitness than externalized in material selection through hubs. It's nice to have a balance chosen on engineered weight tolerances of machined products, as opposed to outright lightest extreme parts that are not made specifically for known weight load limitations or those AT LEAST matching the riders weight and force.

You hear a lot of people outwardly asking what the best hub is and that is asking a loaded question that depends on many things, the most of which is rider weight and physical fitness/ability. The "best hub" for a 160lb rider climbing mountains will not be the same as the "best" hub for a 200lb rider doing xc on cobblestone. Same goes for almost any bike part. You have to ask yourself questions, be honest with yourself about your ability, weight and the terrain you will ride most often. Then, finding the right product will become realistic.
    I buy the heaviest shit i can find, heavy = durable = best imo.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I will pass on furthur comments to this thread because it is useless if not misleading to ask what "the best hubset" is without even understanding what it is for, application wise and rider wise. It's like rolling the dice and hoping to beat the house - a fool's game of chance. To be most useful, we must first ask ourselves the biggest questions of all, what am I like weight wise, where am I going, what conditions might I face and what am I willing to invest in the hubs maintenance or cash wise. What do I hope to accomplish with my bike. Answer those and only then might you begin to find YOUR best hubs. It's neither the heaviest nor lightest that's guaranteed to be YOUR best.

Members who have read this thread: 1