mtbr member
    Jan 2019

New question here. Sealant leaking Between tire & rim

hello

I just have set up my tires (Maxxis Ardent) up tubeless two days ago. But when I check my bike in the morning there is a little bit of sealant on the ground, could this be a bad rim tape? I used BBB tubeless rim tape and It didnt really stick to the inner channel on my rims. Should I just redo my rim tap?

Thanks in advance

mtbpete
    The first thing to do is find out where any leaks are. Pump up the tire and spread soapy water all over the tire and rim and look for areas wear bubbles or tiny suds occur. If bubbles come out of the valve area then you're getting air around the tape somewhere. If suds occur on the tire sidewall or bead area then shake the sealant in that area to seal the tiny hole and check again with soapy water.

mtbr member
    Tape needs to be near perfect man. Unfortunately more than likely you'll need to go back to step one with a major cleaning process. Couple things to try once your junk is CLEANNNNN...skuff rim inner with light sand paper or steel wool if tape wont stick proper. In addition, you may want to put a tube in and let it sit for a day or two to get that tape set, THEN do your tubeless operation. Many factors here...
    Santa Cruz HTLT

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    The thread is a little confusing.

You should identify the leak location for us.

The title says it's leaking between the rim and tire. That is unrelated to tape. If you have sealant on the floor but no idea where it is coming from, first identify where the sealant is from. Does it appear to be leaking from the bead because the tire has gone flat, allowing sealing to leak out? If something like that has happened, then the problem is the tire didn't seal and lost air, but not necessarily that the sealant has 'leaked out'.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    The thread is a little confusing.

You should identify the leak location for us.

The title says it's leaking between the rim and tire. That is unrelated to tape. If you have sealant on the floor but no idea where it is coming from, first identify where the sealant is from. Does it appear to be leaking from the bead because the tire has gone flat, allowing sealing to leak out? If something like that has happened, then the problem is the tire didn't seal and lost air, but not necessarily that the sealant has 'leaked out'.
    It didnt lose any air, buy I have pumped the tire up to max pressure right now, and I am going to let it sit overnight

And the leak was the bead sorry for the confusion
    Last edited by Rob5tar; 1 Week Ago at 08:47 AM. Reason: Explanation

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    If you have not take the wheel off and then holding it horizontally tip it and rotate and move up and down to make sure the sealant gets all the way around on the bead and rim ---both sides---then pump up hard---say 45 pounds and let sit----this has worked for me before----assuming it is not at the valve.
    Note I have never had an issue with an ardent using a dt rim

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Yeah I think that was the problem I just pumped up my tires to my normal pressures with is about 25 psi, now that I have pumped it up all the way I can see the sealant sealing the bead

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I haven't exceeded 30ish psi on the 29'er tires to seal the tubeless setup.

You said you aired it up "all the way that you can". Make sure you do not exceed the max pressure of the tire based on the sidewall information.

Really you shouldn't need to inflate it to more than 30psi, then shake/bounce the tire around so the sealant is sloshed into the potential leak zones.
    Better yet, ride it (if possible).

You shouldn't need to address a tape issue if the tire is leaking at the bead.

Sorry I misunderstood your post. When you said there was sealant on the floor I wondered if the tire had gone flat and the bead broke.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    ...Really you shouldn't need to inflate it to more than 30psi...
    It depends entirely on the tire, rim and tape/strip. Some require max + a little to get the bead to seat.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Checked my tire this morning and the same thing happend

here is a photo https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HZ...XCLgRi2bQSd01p

should i just redo the setup?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I would suggest removing the wheel and adding another oz. of sealant then tap the wheel on the ground about about 1/6th of a turn each tap, do this on both sides. I find this helps to seal beads, I do this religiously out of habit every time I change tires.

Every tire is not created equal, it may be a little defect in the bead too.

Is dang happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob5tar View Post
    Checked my tire this morning and the same thing happened

here is a photo https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HZ...XCLgRi2bQSd01p

should i just redo the setup?
    I have had tubeless setups do this do this that fixed themselves after a couple of rides. Going though this with my fatbike right now and need to put another ride in to see if will seal the bead better.

What sealant are you using?
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I just deflated the tire cleaned the bead where it was leaking, tomorrow I will go get some more sealant to fill it up. I already did a ride with this setup, tomorrow I will do another one hope that will help.

I am using Muc-off sealant. Thanks for letting me know I am not the only one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob5tar View Post
    I just deflated the tire cleaned the bead where it was leaking, tomorrow I will go get some more sealant to fill it up. I already did a ride with this setup, tomorrow I will do another one hope that will help.

I am using Muc-off sealant. Thanks for letting me know I am not the only one.
    Any updates on the leak (or fixed leak)?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Yeah its all sealed, tubeless rides like a dream thanks for all the tips