Sealant additives...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Sealant additives...

Would like to know if anyone has experimented with sealent by adding any fibers, styrofoam sandings, etc. to the mixture. Stans and such just doesn't cut when it comes to small cuts or in & out puntures. I've tried a couple of different things with some success, but not to great of an outcome! Thanks for any input.

mtbr member
    After my tire pores are sealed by Latex(Stan's or mold builder) I then add some slightly watered down ATV slime. Very cheap at Wally World or auto parts stores.

I have seen it seal some seriously thick cactus spines. Bigger than a pencil lead. No problem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Is atv slime different from bicycle tube slime?

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by flowride
    Is atv slime different from bicycle tube slime?
    Slime for Tubeless Tires (NOT Slime Pro Tubeless) is all the same formula whether you buy the Tubeless Bike, ATV, or Car version. It differs from the tube formula in that it uses chucks of rubber instead of fibers to seal punctures.

mtbr member
    I know that it works. Especially compared to CrappeExlax (CaffeLatex)

I put 3 scoops of that crap in a tire, and out in my garage I pulled a big cactus spine out, and my tire shot all 3 scoops out onto the floor, and then went flat. Total junk!!

I washed out the tire and remounted with mold builder/ATV slime, and the hole hissed like mad until I turned it to the bottom, and barely one drop came out. TThhiippp!! It was sealed instantly.

mtbr member
    if i may ask, how much of the atv slime did you use?
    Racing and complaining about it for 32 years

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelsdown2002
    After my tire pores are sealed by Latex(Stan's or mold builder) I then add some slightly watered down ATV slime. Very cheap at Wally World or auto parts stores.
    +1
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

El Pollo Diablo
    Thanks for validating my impulse buy of ATV slime...
    have you tried watering it down with anything but water?

SPECIALizED
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowMongoose
    Why water it down? It's cheap enough in bulk as it is.

mtbr member
    What exactly is the mold builder? Can you get it at Wal-Mart?

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowMongoose
    I think you're mixing up [no pun intended] the ingredients for homebrew sealant.

There is no such product as "ATV Slime" .

There's "Slime for Tubeless Tires" and there's "ATV Antifreeze".

The is why they both are used together or separately in homebrew sealant:

Stan's Sealant is simply a mix of propylene glycol, latex, and water., which Notubes sells for $25/quart. That's some pricey liquid, and the reason people have experimented with different brews.

Propylene glycoll is a non-toxic liquid with many uses, including antifreeze. You can buy a gallon of this antifreeze at Lowe's for about $5.00, which is a mix of water and propylene glycol.

You can buy liquid latex for molds at Amazon for $25.00. This is highly concentrated and can be cut with the antifreeze at around 2:1. It also reeks of ammonia, which keeps it liquid, and I have no clue as to the concentration. Anybody know?

Anyway, for $30.00 you get about 3/4/gal. of homebrew sealant (2 qt antifreeze + 1 qt. latex ) depending on how you dilute the latex. That's, what, 40% less than the cost of Stan's, which would be $75.00 for the same amount.

So far so good. Now, as other have posted, once you get your tires seated and holding air, you are done with your latex mix. It has fulfilled its job of sealing your bead. This liquid is pretty much totally useless for sealing punctures, despite the hype. Stan pokes all kind of nails into a tire in his video and it doesn't flat. Notice he doesn't pull them out. That's the key. You get anything more than a thorn hole in your tire, without the thorn, liquid latex leaks all over mother nature and your tire flats.

That's where Slime and glitter an all that come into play: they contain particles and fibers of whatnot to plug up punctures. Some folks mix it with their latex brew, others inject it without the latex separately.

This about summarizes what I know, which I mostly learned over the past year or so from two people (mtnbiker72 and twowheelsdown2002) who have posted in this thread, and who can tell me if I got it right.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt
    I think you're mixing up [no pun intended] the ingredients for homebrew sealant.

There is no such product as "ATV Slime" .

There's "Slime for Tubeless Tires" and there's "ATV Antifreeze".

The is why they both are used together or separately in homebrew sealant:

Stan's Sealant is simply a mix of propylene glycol, latex, and water., which Notubes sells for $25/quart. That's some pricey liquid, and the reason people have experimented with different brews.

Propylene glycoll is a non-toxic liquid with many uses, including antifreeze. You can buy a gallon of this antifreeze at Lowe's for about $5.00, which is a mix of water and propylene glycol.

You can buy liquid latex for molds at Amazon for $25.00. This is highly concentrated and can be cut with the antifreeze at around 2:1. It also reeks of ammonia, which keeps it liquid, and I have no clue as to the concentration. Anybody know?

Anyway, for $30.00 you get about 3/4/gal. of homebrew sealant (2 qt antifreeze + 1 qt. latex ) depending on how you dilute the latex. That's, what, 40% less than the cost of Stan's, which would be $75.00 for the same amount.

So far so good. Now, as other have posted, once you get your tires seated and holding air, you are done with your latex mix. It has fulfilled its job of sealing your bead. This liquid is pretty much totally useless for sealing punctures, despite the hype. Stan pokes all kind of nails into a tire in his video and it doesn't flat. Notice he doesn't pull them out. That's the key. You get anything more than a thorn hole in your tire, without the thorn, liquid latex leaks all over mother nature and your tire flats.

That's where Slime and glitter an all that come into play: they contain particles and fibers of whatnot to plug up punctures. Some folks mix it with their latex brew, others inject it without the latex separately.

This about summarizes what I know, which I mostly learned over the past year or so from two people (mtnbiker72 and twowheelsdown2002) who have posted in this thread, and who can tell me if I got it right.
    You did indeed get most of it right, except for the part about there not being "ATV Slime".

Here is the URL for it. https://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...ntifier=837623

This is the stuff I add to my homebrew or if I need to add any additional puncture sealant on down the road. Costs about 8-10 bucks for a 24oz bottle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dkbikes4life
    What exactly is the mold builder? Can you get it at Wal-Mart?
    I don't think Wally World has it, but Michael's craft store does. They also have coupons all the time and I always get it when I have a coupon. If you register at Michaels online they send you a 40% off coupon to welcome you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelsdown2002
    I don't think Wally World has it, but Michael's craft store does. They also have coupons all the time and I always get it when I have a coupon. If you register at Michaels online they send you a 40% off coupon to welcome you.
    Thanks There is a Michael's down the street for me.

So to get everything straight. I would use about 2oz of the mold builder first to get the tire to seal (do you add anything to this?). Once its sealed, then put a few oz's of the slime in. Is that it? Nothing else to add? Sorry to the OP, not trying to hijack. I think I may try the ghetto tubeless way this weekend and figured asking on a current thread was better than making a new one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dkbikes4life
    Thanks There is a Michael's down the street for me.

So to get everything straight. I would use about 2oz of the mold builder first to get the tire to seal (do you add anything to this?). Once its sealed, then put a few oz's of the slime in. Is that it? Nothing else to add? Sorry to the OP, not trying to hijack. I think I may try the ghetto tubeless way this weekend and figured asking on a current thread was better than making a new one.
    Perfect. Just register, and print out the coupon and it will be about 9 bucks for the mold builder.

Like dwt said up above, get you some of the propylene glycol antifreeze. Use this to thin out the mold builder, as it is very thick, and you need it runny enough to slosh around in the tire and coat the inside.

I usually just mix about 3/4 to 1 scoop of mold builder and a scoop of ATV slime, and then thin it out to the consistency I want by "eyeballing" it.

To be honest I don't really know if there is a difference in sealing the tire with the latex, then adding the atv slime after or not. Perhaps the latex is more effective in sealing if it is in by itself and taken for a ride, then add the atv slime through the stem or pop a bead loose. Not 100% sure on this.

I usually just put it all in the tire at the same time, and it seems to work just fine. I mounted up some WTB Dissent tires up on my new Sun Ringle Charger Pro wheels last night. They came with little bottles of Stan's so I used it, but I added some atv slime just to have more sealing chunks because we have so many cactus. I put it all in together, and shook it onto the sidewalls. Have not taken them for a ride yet, but 24 hours later they have not lost any air, so seems like the latex does it's thing even mixed with the slime.

On a side note. The Charger Pro wheels are pretty nice!! Same bead as a Stan's Flow, but a deeper, stronger profile, with eyelets, straight pull spokes, and they use higher tension. All the adapters were there for 9/15/20, bottles of sealant, yellow tape and valve stems. Nice!! Only downside was I put the rotor on and when I tightened the axle down on my new 36 Talas, the rotor rubbed the brake mount. I measured the axle width and it came out to 109mm. I had to go to a shop and they had all kinds of washers, and I found a perfect one to put under the end cap so it preloads the bearing just like the end cap does. Axle then measured 110mm. Mounted it in the fork and it is perfect now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Stan's contains corn starch (he calls it "microparticles" for a better ring) to plug up punctures. Has served me well so far, has even secured me a spot on the podium once despite a huge hole up front

Notice he doesn't pull them out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sjvJXJWtAA

I've tried almost all sealants out there. In the end I always returned to Stan's. Not saying that you couldn't mix up that stuff easiliy yourself. I'm just too lazy for that, I simply buy a bottle, pour it in and go biking.

No Clue Crew
    Search for "Best Tubeless Brew" in the 29er forum. Pages and pages of info on Home Brews. Seems the best option is a 1:2:2 mixture of mold builder, atv slime, water. It's what I and may of my fellow Arizonans use. Works like a champ! And cheap!

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by quax
    Stan's contains corn starch (he calls it "microparticles" for a better ring) to plug up punctures.
    I'm just going by what is published on the website:

http://www.notubes.com/pdf/NoTubes%20_MSDS.pdf

I'm not saying you're wrong, but if you're right why is cornstarch missing from the MSDS?

Not saying that you couldn't mix up that stuff easily yourself. I'm just too lazy for that, I simply buy a bottle, pour it in and go biking.
    That's fine if you like to throw away money. The "effort" required to mix the ingredients contained in Stans yourself is considerably worth the savings. Instead of one overpriced quart of his mix, you buy two ingredients (moldbuilder and RV antifreeze), and mix them yourself. Takes 5 minutes.

P.S. If you REALLY think Stans or similar sealants plug punctures well, try this experiment:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ight=superglue

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm not saying you're wrong, but if you're right why is cornstarch missing from the MSDS?
    because food is excempt; would have to be considered if it reacted with the solution or if it resulted in hazardous exposure situations (like flour dust or so)

However, if you use the Stans you'll see it very clearly. You actually complain about a product that you've never used?

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by quax
    because food is excempt; would have to be considered if it reacted with the solution or if it resulted in hazardous exposure situations (like flour dust or so)

However, if you use the Stans you'll see it very clearly. You actually complain about a product that you've never used?
    Of course I've used Stans sealant. Who hasn't? I have what's left of a quart in my shop right now. Though it was purchased more than a year ago, is pure liquid and has no food or anything like it in the solution. All I'm saying is that it is overpriced for what it is. All commercial bike sealants are. So those of us who have multiple tubeless wheelsets and don't like wasting money make our own

Members who have read this thread: 1