Schwalbe vs Blue Groove tire size question?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Schwalbe vs Blue Groove tire size question?

Here's my story, I'm currently running a Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.35 front tire and a Schwalbe Albert 2.25 rear. I like the tires but they sometimes feel like they are squirming in loose rocks (maybe it's the rocks but they definitely dont feel as stable as the Vert Pro's which I used for a long time). I want to try the Kenda Blue Groove tires but I'm not sure if a BG 2.3 will fit as a rear tire. The Fat Albert 2.35 tread blocks are tall enough that they contact the seat stay yoke on the rear of my FXR. The 2.25 fits fine as long as I don't get in the mud.

Does anyone know if the BG 2.3 is larger, smaller or about the same as the Fat Albert 2.35? I guess if its too big I'll have to use the 2.1 on the back. Thanks, Scott.

dispensing truthiness

measured sizes

Here are the measured sizes from shiggy's site:

Blue Groove 2.35 = 55.1mm casing width, 61.3mm tread width, and 326mm axle to tread.

Fat Albert 2.35 = 56.6mm casing width, 57.1mm tread width, and 332mm axle to tread.

The Blue Groove is designed as a "front only" tire. (although there's no law against using it for the rear) The companion tire for the rear is called the Nevegal. The numbers are as follows: 54.6 casing, 60.7 tread, 326 axle to tread.

mtbr member

? about axle to tread measurement

Is the axle to tread measurment to the top of the tread blocks? If so then both these tires should be a little shorter than the Fat Albert and would fit ok. It seems I've read other people here using the BG for front and rear with good luck, perhaps I should consider the Nevegal also.

Jan 2004

If the Vert Pros fit OK, try the Blue Groove 2.1, which is...

...about the same size. You might want to keep on hand a Vert Pro for mud though, as it will likely shed it better.

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilco
    The Blue Groove is designed as a "front only" tire. (although there's no law against using it for the rear) The companion tire for the rear is called the Nevegal. The numbers are as follows: 54.6 casing, 60.7 tread, 326 axle to tread.
    Kenda lists both the BG and Nevegal as being for either front or rear. I've never seen anything in their info indicating either as being front or rear specific or that they were intended to be used together.
    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

mtbr member

also in search of the perfect combo...

Did a fairly nasty ride today trying a new set-up: Blue Groove 2.35 rear and Pan FR 2.4 front...

Started the ride and loved the front tire immediately; figured I would be wishing it was in the back too when I got to the loose stuff but was pleasantly surprised at how well the BG held in the back - esp in the loose shake gullys....nice grip on the steep rock walls too; fast roller and was quite adequate at speed thru loose banks; nice ride overall but I like a little more bite in the rear so I have a Gazza coming in I'll be trying back there next.....the panaracer is staying in the front though ; )

I can see why it would be favored as a front but don't diss it in the rear till you try it; if you ride a lot of loose you'll prob want taller knobs but for mostly hardpack/rocks the BG shines

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottW
    Is the axle to tread measurment to the top of the tread blocks? If so then both these tires should be a little shorter than the Fat Albert and would fit ok. It seems I've read other people here using the BG for front and rear with good luck, perhaps I should consider the Nevegal also.
    Wilco pulled those specs from my tire site (link in my signature).

The axle to tread measurement is to the widest part of the tread.
    I have the Blue Groove, Nevegal, Fat Albert, Big Jim (should be about the same size as the Albert 2.25) and Vertical Pro specs on the site. For the total tire height you need to add the casing height and the center tread depth.

The Blue Groove and Nevegal work well on the front or rear. They are not front or rear specific nor does Kenda suggest the rotating direction be switched for front or rear.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    The axle to tread measurement is to the widest part of the tread.
    I have the Blue Groove, Nevegal, Fat Albert, Big Jim (should be about the same size as the Albert 2.25) and Vertical Pro specs on the site. For the total tire height you need to add the casing height and the center tread depth.

Thanks Shiggy, that cleared it up and makes my decision easier. I better stick to a 2.1 BG for the rear.

dispensing truthiness

ok

Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    Kenda lists both the BG and Nevegal as being for either front or rear. I've never seen anything in their info indicating either as being front or rear specific or that they were intended to be used together.
    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    OK, didn't know that. I got the "Blue Groove is for front only" from a review I read a while back...

"I put a 2.5" Blue Groove up front and a 2.5" Nevegal on the rear, as recommended by the manufacturer, but the Nevegal can be run on both front and rear."

The full review is here: http://www.nsmb.com/gear/kenda.php