Schwalbe tyres, I'm overwhelmed by the choices- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Schwalbe tyres, I'm overwhelmed by the choices

I'm building a 29" "light trail bike", 130+120mm suspension with the intention of riding just like I do on my XC-like hardtail, only with a bit more difficult terrain and slightly more downhill. Well, light trails with no or very little drops (I'm not much of a technical rider and I know my limits) etc.
    I'm trying ro figure out what tyres are right for me for the summer/dry conditions and for rainy/muddy/autumn+winter riding.

For now I'd like to figure out the "dry tyres".
    I'm thinking about 2,25" TLE Speedgrip Racing Ray front and 2,25" TLE Racing Ralph OR 2,35" Rock Razor (no idea if just rear or both) rear.

I am not looking for the fastest tyres as a priority, but I don't want slow ones either because I will be riding on flat terrain as well, and I don't want to kill myself after pedalling 5km or so
    To sum it up, I want decently fast tyres with good enough grip for some rougher terrain and/or descends.

Someone also recommended me Nobby Nic, but I don't like the... pattern? (what is the studs arrangement called in english?), it just gives me the impression of being slow.

What do you think?

mtbr member
    Studs, as in knobs?
    Just talking dry conditions and Schwalbes.....

I find the Nobby Nics to be quite fast rolling and grippy in the 29x2.35 Evolution/Addix.
    They also are pretty durable riding in Utah.

If I were to get the Racing Ray/Racing Ralph combo, I would go for the 29x2.35" versions. They will roll very well and in my experience, 2.35" tires wear better than 2.25" while gripping better and rolling just as well. I don't expect that the Racing Ray/Ralph would wear very well in any size, though.

I tried the Rock Razor in a 29x2.35 and liked it, but it was only marginally better rolling than the Nobby Nic and I damaged the cornering knobs within 50 miles of pretty hard riding. I would not recommend it as a front tire. It does corner very well but would have little braking traction.

I also rode the 29x2.25 Rocket Ron and found it again, to be no faster than the Nobby Nic in rolling resistance and I also damaged the corner knobs on it within about 50 miles.

I time my climbs, not my descents and I found the Nobby Nics to be faster than any Maxxis tire including the 29x2.4 and 2.6 Rekons. I've not tried any of the Maxxis tires that are less aggressive than the Rekons, though. The Nobby Nics also cornered and gripped better than either of the Rekons.

mtbr member
    I guess knobs as well.
    You must have some obscene amounts of rocks where you ride or something

LCW
    mtbr member

Get some Rocket Rons. Done. They are great in all conditions. Fast and grippy. And light.

SpeedGrip (blue) in front, Speed (red) in back.

These are 29x2.25.

This is the rear width - true to size unlike many tires. I just got the front so havenít yet measured but it should be the same.

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Oh you mean get Ron for both tyres? I didn't think about that.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Octopuss View Post
    Oh you mean get Ron for both tyres? I didn't think about that.
    Well you can mix and match. Thatís totally up to you. I was running a Racing Ray on the front. But going to try a Ron on front.

On the rear I tried a Racing Ralph (new one) briefly but preferred the Ron.

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Biggest my Rons came out to was 2.12. This is on 21mm IW rims.

I'm using the Nobby Nic and Rock Razor on my 120/130 bike. They give me more than enough traction on varied terrain...including some wet.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Biggest my Rons came out to was 2.12. This is on 21mm IW rims.

I'm using the Nobby Nic and Rock Razor on my 120/130 bike. They give me more than enough traction on varied terrain...including some wet.
    What I showed above was on 26mm internal. Pressure 23psi. After about 3 weeks of install.

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    I have since started looking into other brands and remembered I enjoyed the tires on Trek Top Fuel 8 when I rented it, which has Bontrager XR3 tires on it. They held absolutely perfectly in both dry and wet conditions, and I might just grab one for the rear (I will get either Racing Ray or Rocket Ron for the front).
    The weight though, 740g, ouch. Rekon Race, which looks like a viable alternative, is 100g lighter. I'm actually curious how these would compare since they look very similar.

mtbr member
    2.5 Assegai Exo 3C Maxxterra - up front... absolutely bomb proof!!

Out back... 2.5 Aggressor DD - fast rolling centre w/ enough grip when leaned over

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Magic Mary / Rock Razor is a fantastic combo for a fast setup that still corners decent.

LCW
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Well you can mix and match. Thatís totally up to you. I was running a Racing Ray on the front. But going to try a Ron on front.

On the rear I tried a Racing Ralph (new one) briefly but preferred the Ron.
    Just an update - 100% prefer the Rocket Ron on the front vs the Racing Ray. Feels more predictable and consistent in turns. Could be the rounder profile or the tread pattern or combination of both.

Feels like it rolls every bit as fast too if not faster and I havenít noticed the size difference when riding between the 2.25 Ron and 2.35 Ray.

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    LCW, thanks for the update.
    - How many rides did you have on the Ray before coming to that conclusion?
    - How much do you weigh and what PSI did you try on the RAY & RON ?
    - What rear tire ?
    - Also, do you set your PSI to prioritize climbs, descents, or balance?

What i gather from reading about the RON is that it is a light/fast/grippy tire that is most appropriately used for racing because of its fast wearing soft rubber compound and thinner higher thread count casing that dosnt hold up acceptably with regular use. I assume that the newer designed RAY is more durable & slower wearing since it is not advertised as being as extreme as the RON. I just mounted a RAY today to try out and the rubber is noticeably softer/grippyer than the RALPH's that i am familiar with. I worry about the soft knobs being squirmy and plan to play with pressure to dial in the feel as i do with all tires. Guess i will find out after logging some miles. I would like to hear more feedback form others who have used both the the RON & RAY. Maybe i'll start a separate thread on it.

mtbr member
    I have since started looking into other brands and remembered I enjoyed the tires on Trek Top Fuel 8 when I rented it, which has Bontrager XR3 tires on it. They held absolutely perfectly in both dry and wet conditions, and I might just grab one for the rear (I will get either Racing Ray or Rocket Ron for the front).
    The weight though, 740g, ouch. Rekon Race, which looks like a viable alternative, is 100g lighter. I'm actually curious how these would compare since they look very similar.
    no no no

- If you run different tires front/rear you want the grippyer & more durable tire up front and the faster rolling tire rear.
    - If you want to go with the Bont XR series (which are great tires) then do XR2 rear, XR3 front.
    - If you want something as beefy as an XR3 then also consider the Specialized Ground Control
    Dont compare the XR3 to a Recon race. Completely diff tires. Compare Recon race to a tire like Ralph & Spec Renegade.

Lastly, although i respect LCW's opinion & feedback, i do not think Rocket RON is the right tire for you. I think if you provide more info than you'll get some more solid recommendations though.
    Like:
    - How much do you weigh?
    - What specific trail systems are you currently riding with your hardtail?
    - What tires do you run on the hardtail?
    - What specific trail systems are you planning on riding with the new Trail bike?
    - One a scale of 1-10 with 1 being cautiously riding down hills using a lot of brake, and 10 being BOMBING down hills, what number describes your approach to downhills?

LCW
    mtbr member
    Answers:

- How many rides did you have on the Ray before coming to that conclusion?

About 20 rides on various trails. Average 10miles per ride or so. Some a bit longer. Same amount on rear Ron.

- How much do you weigh and what PSI did you try on the RAY & RON ?

200 lbs, I run 20/23 (frt/rr) psi with the Rons, but with the Ray I ran 18.

- What rear tire ?

Ron, Speed Snakesin

- Also, do you set your PSI to prioritize climbs, descents, or balance?

General trail riding. A bit of everything. Climbs, rock gardens, roots, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperDom View Post
    What i gather from reading about the RON is that it is a light/fast/grippy tire that is most appropriately used for racing because of its fast wearing soft rubber compound and thinner higher thread count casing that dosnt hold up acceptably with regular use. I assume that the newer designed RAY is more durable & slower wearing since it is not advertised as being as extreme as the RON. I just mounted a RAY today to try out and the rubber is noticeably softer/grippyer than the RALPH's that i am familiar with. I worry about the soft knobs being squirmy and plan to play with pressure to dial in the feel as i do with all tires. Guess i will find out after logging some miles. I would like to hear more feedback form others who have used both the the RON & RAY. Maybe i'll start a separate thread on it.
    Disagree with the notion that Ron is any less durable than the Ray or Ralph. I have the SnakeSkin Ron's, not the Liteskin. Rubber compounds are the same between the Rons/Rays/Ralphs. I run blue (SpeedGrip) front and red (Speed) on the rear. I'm just not a fan of the new Ray/Ralph tread patterns.

You noticed the Ray being softer than a Ralph because it is. Each is only available in one compound. Ray in Addix SpeedGrip (blue, softer). Ralph in Addix Speed (red, a bit harder). Rons are available in either, but I run a blue in front, red in back.

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm building a 29" "light trail bike", 130+120mm suspension with the intention of riding just like I do on my XC-like hardtail, only with a bit more difficult terrain and slightly more downhill. Well, light trails with no or very little drops (I'm not much of a technical rider and I know my limits) etc.
    I'm trying ro figure out what tyres are right for me for the summer/dry conditions and for rainy/muddy/autumn+winter riding.

For now I'd like to figure out the "dry tyres".
    I'm thinking about 2,25" TLE Speedgrip Racing Ray front and 2,25" TLE Racing Ralph OR 2,35" Rock Razor (no idea if just rear or both) rear.

I am not looking for the fastest tyres as a priority, but I don't want slow ones either because I will be riding on flat terrain as well, and I don't want to kill myself after pedalling 5km or so
    To sum it up, I want decently fast tyres with good enough grip for some rougher terrain and/or descends.

Someone also recommended me Nobby Nic, but I don't like the... pattern? (what is the studs arrangement called in english?), it just gives me the impression of being slow.

What do you think?
    What do you run on your hardtail? Why not just run the same if you like them.

Dream it, Do it.
    The Rock Razor is a decent cornering, fast rolling tire for dry conditions. I'm not sure I would run it on the front as it won't brake as well as a tire with full knobs. You might consider a more grippy front tire as the front doesn't add as much to the total rolling resistance. In the Schwalbe lineup, the Hans Dampf might be a good choice.

For wet weather, the Nobby Nic has climbing grip that is quite good. It also rolls surprisingly well. In the Schwalbe line-up, the Hans Dampf might be a good choice for wet weather as well.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    This site has a lot of info regarding Schwalbe rolling resistance

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...4&minknobe=0.4

mtbr member
    Answers:

200lbs, 18 PSI
    Yikes

Interesting setup there.(heavy w/low pressure) Wish i could teleport to your trails so see what your working with.
    I'm on Delaware forested singletrack. Mostly smooth hardpack with some roots. Short climbs&decents, whoops, flow, Lots of twisty stuff where steering precision really comes in to play if you want to be fast. I used to run lower pressures 20F/22R in an attempt to maximize grip but later decided that the deflection/squirm was unacceptable. Also i could feel the rear squish robbing power when attacking climbs. So now i'm around 2-5psi higher depending on my goals for the day. I'm only 140lbs.

Disagree with the notion that Ron is any less durable than the Ray or Ralph.
    I didnt realize that the Ron was available in both compounds. So main diff between it and the Ralph/Ray would be the casing which in the absence of rocky terrain could be a non-issue for longevity.
    If you like the Ron then blue front, red back is def a winner

LCW
    mtbr member
    I'm on Delaware forested singletrack. Mostly smooth hardpack with some roots. Short climbs&decents, whoops, flow, Lots of twisty stuff where steering precision really comes in to play if you want to be fast. I used to run lower pressures 20F/22R in an attempt to maximize grip but later decided that the deflection/squirm was unacceptable. Also i could feel the rear squish robbing power when attacking climbs. So now i'm around 2-5psi higher depending on my goals for the day. I'm only 140lbs.
    I donít run that low on the Rons. Now 20/23 with Ron front/rear.

Terrain you describe is very similar to what we have here in MN. Hardpack, roots, a bit or rocks in other parts of the state, short punchy climbs. Some old school twisty, some more flowy.

The Ron does well on hardpack but also in loose dirt.

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    no no no

- If you run different tires front/rear you want the grippyer & more durable tire up front and the faster rolling tire rear.
    - If you want to go with the Bont XR series (which are great tires) then do XR2 rear, XR3 front.
    - If you want something as beefy as an XR3 then also consider the Specialized Ground Control
    Dont compare the XR3 to a Recon race. Completely diff tires. Compare Recon race to a tire like Ralph & Spec Renegade.

Lastly, although i respect LCW's opinion & feedback, i do not think Rocket RON is the right tire for you. I think if you provide more info than you'll get some more solid recommendations though.
    Like:
    - How much do you weigh?
    - What specific trail systems are you currently riding with your hardtail?
    - What tires do you run on the hardtail?
    - What specific trail systems are you planning on riding with the new Trail bike?
    - One a scale of 1-10 with 1 being cautiously riding down hills using a lot of brake, and 10 being BOMBING down hills, what number describes your approach to downhills?
    I have ultimately decided against the Bont because of weight.

What do you mean by trail systems? What's that mean?
    I don't ride any trails on the hardtail, it's not suitable for that sort of thing. It's certainly doable, but after trying a full suspension bike once, I just refuse to go to such place on a hardtail again I just ride in the woods and on dirt roads, regular casual XC I guess.
    I'm 95kg or so.
    I'm not from America so any specific trail info would be useless to you, and I have no means of reasonably describe what we have here (and I don't even know 80% of the places either).
    Not sure about the numbers either since I only rode a full suspension bike twice, lol.
    I'm guessing maybe 6?

I'm thinking either Ray or Ron on the front and maybe Ron on the rear. I need something reasonably grippy yet fast enough so it's not a torture to pedal somewhere (I basically still need to be able to ride with my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer View Post
    What do you run on your hardtail? Why not just run the same if you like them.
    I have Continental Cross King front and Race King rear, both 2,2".
    They work "ok", but I don't feel confident enough while turning at higher than regular-ish travel speed. The Race King feels shitty in that regard to me.
    I feel like these have no room on a full suspension bike.

mtbr member
    Ray in Addix SpeedGrip (blue, softer). Ralph in Addix Speed (red, a bit harder). Rons are available in either, but I run a blue in front, red in back.
    This part doesn't seem right to me, because when I check the Ron, the red material has worse durability, so I'd presume it's softer.
    Schwalbe tyres, I'm overwhelmed by the choices-capture.png

mtbr member
    Octopuss,

- A trail system is an interconnecting network of trails. Usually defined/named by a park or geographic feature like a mountain or lake.

- We can utilize websites like MTBPROJECT.com to understand more about the trails you ride and make more specific recommendations. It is possible that we can learn more about your trails and how to properly set up a bike for them by looking at a website than you can by putzing along on them with your wife.

mtbr member
    I have Continental Cross King front and Race King rear, both 2,2".
    They work "ok", but I don't feel confident enough while turning at higher than regular-ish travel speed. The Race King feels shitty in that regard to me.
    The Cont Cross King is a similar tire to the ones that we are discussing. (aggressive XC category). If that is what you are used to then dont expect a huge difference with a "parallel switch". A more noticeable difference would be opting for a more Trail oriented tire up front. These have heavier casings with slightly more aggressive/deeper tread. For someone trying to level up there game and explore more difficult trails Confidence is way more important than trying to save grams. The way these trail tires dampen bumps and deform less when carving turns allows you to push your limits further. Once you get good enough that confidence is no longer an issue and cardio/fitness becomes your limiting factor Then try out the lighter tires when you will appreciate them more and be faster on them with a more substantial foundation of riding skill.

With that in mind, my recommendation is now shifting more towards:
    - Spec Ground Control
    - Bont XR3
    - Cross King in 2.3

mtbr member
    Like I said, I need some more universal (and not overly slow despite speed not being a priority at the same time) tires for now because I will be riding with my wife too (she's getting my hardtail with 2x10 drivertrain, which will leave me in very slightly unfavorable position on a full suspension bike ).

More trail-oriented tires are a thing for autumn/damp conditions.
    The Ron looks good enough for now I guess. It's just a question of 2x Ron (likely) or Ron and something.

Later on I will probably get Hans Dampf or Nobby Nic or something for more serious terrain OR shitty conditions. I haven't given this too much thought yet, nor have I explored the possibilities much.

I only ever rode a hardtail and mostly on forest/dirt roads, so I have no idea about anything related to me riding full suspension bike in near future whatsoever, which makes answering any questions difficult.
    I know there are a few bike parks in Czech republic, but I have no idea where will I ride and whether it's rideable for someone with questionable skills and zero experience with "downhillish" style.

mtbr member
    Of course, the XR3 is not out of the question for trails at all, they seemed to roll pretty damn well when going down(hill) including in mud, they just seem a bit heavy for recreational riding. Not sure whether to get a pair or just in the front and something else in the rear (that might look really weird). I guess the 2,4" is just about right width.
    Same goes with the Schwalbe combinations of course.

TRANCER
    I have tried a crapload of tires in the past year so and I ended up sticking to the Nobby Nic Addix Speedgrip TLR front and rear in 29x2.35. IMO it's not PERFECT but it had the perfect balance as far as speed and grip goes. I love the DHR, DHF, Highrollers and all that but man they are anchors compared to these tires. IMO a do all tire. I ride XC, Enduro style trails mostly but have done bike parks with them as well and I never had an issue unless things start to get wet. Other than that I think I'm going to stick to this combo.
    Ride

mtbr member
    If the tires weren't so expensive, I would probably buy several and test them myself

TRANCER
    If the tires weren't so expensive, I would probably buy several and test them myself
    Yeah it can get pretty expensive. But well worth it when you find the perfect combo for you.
    Ride

mtbr member
    I don't think I'd notice unless the differences were huge, but that doesn't stop me from making life more difficult for me by digging in the options, heh.

Oh btw does anyone have experience with Rocket Ron on asphalt? I was told its thread was fairly annoying on roads.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Merlin has the 2.35 Nobby Nic Addix Speed Grip for $35, but the new high ass shipping fees kill this good deal. NN front/rear 2.35 is a great suggestion. I run 2.35 HD/ NN which is the preferred Schwalbe combo for Trail bikes.

TRANCER
    I don't think I'd notice unless the differences were huge, but that doesn't stop me from making life more difficult for me by digging in the options, heh.

Oh btw does anyone have experience with Rocket Ron on asphalt? I was told its thread was fairly annoying on roads.
    The only drawback to any of the Schwalbe Mountain bike tires is that they waste very quickly on asphalt. No matter which one
    Ride

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripbird View Post
    Merlin has the 2.35 Nobby Nic Addix Speed Grip for $35, but the new high ass shipping fees kill this good deal. NN front/rear 2.35 is a great suggestion. I run 2.35 HD/ NN which is the preferred Schwalbe combo for Trail bikes.
    Merlin has great deals but yeah the shipping kills you depending what it is. Tires are always expensive to ship and sometimes the wait time is excruciating. But very good company if you don't mind waiting a bit longer to receive your order.
    Last edited by Biohazard74; 07-29-2020 at 07:09 AM.
    Ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Tires seem expensive but the options for performance really include rim width and pressure. 30, 35, 40mm inner rim width can change what tire combo gives the better performance. Trying different width wheels that's too expensive for just about everyone, imo.
    Anyway, Bontrager tires have a 30 day no questions refund policy to give you a chance to try a tire. Don't like it. Bring it back for a refund.

mtbr member
    The rims on my bike will be 27+25mm or 27mm both it seems.

mtbr member
    Hm, after yesterday, I removed XR3 out of the equation. They are really fast despite the weight, but they seem to slip whenever the terrain gets even just a tiny bit loose.
    I'm most likely going to get 2xRon, but I wish they made them in 2,35". 2,25, despite not being slimmer in any meaningful weight, doesn't feel right on a trail bike.

mtbr member
    ^ That's how I felt about the xr3 as well. Anything loose at all, even a fine dust covering, and it was like ice skating. One if the worst tires for my conditions.

The cross king has massively more traction all over and rolls similarly fast. It's great out back, even for aggressive riding.

mtbr member
    I'd like not to mix tires for aesthetic reasons , so I'd like to stick to Schwalbe.

I do have Cross King on my HT though and like it.

mtbr member
    Yikes

Interesting setup there.(heavy w/low pressure) Wish i could teleport to your trails so see what your working with.
    I'm 160 lbs and ride in the Wasatch and Moab. On 29x2.35 NoNi's, I ride 12psi up front and 16 on the back in the Wasatch and add about 2 front and back for Moab. Never had a rim strike, no squirm generally, but on high speed g-outs in turns on grippy slick rock, I do feel deflection on the back with the NoNi.

I'm riding rough, rocky terrain, so higher pressures result in consistently slower climb times. Also in techy square edge, rocky climbing, the tires bounce around at higher pressures. Sadly, though I loved it, the Rock Razor only lasted a few rides on the back.

When I ride really rough downhill oriented trails in Moab (like Ahab or Bull Run), I'm running about 14 and 18 on a 2.6 DHF, 2.5 Aggressor combo. The Aggressor at that pressure doesn't have the rear wheel squirm on grippy slickrock that the NoNi does.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I do have Cross King on my HT though and like it.

I have been abusing the black chili crosskings 2.3 on 30mm id rims for a year now. Love them. Maybe not the strongest front tire, but such great all around tire, I accept the trade offs

Serious chunky rock gardens, to gravel, to clay mud, to leafy loam and roots. They hold up well

Love these tires and I ride with a guy with bone xr4's and neither of us can leave the other in the worse conditions, the only difference is on paved or hardpack downhills, the contis roll much faster

You cant go wrong with schwalbes either, i run 2.25 G one all arounds on my gravel bike. just wish they lasted longer

mtbr member
    But isn't 2,25" a bit too narrow for a trail bike?

mtbr member
    You guys on 29x2.3 Cross Kings....what width are you seeing mounted up?

I'm getting 2.406" on a 2.35 NoNi on a 27mm rim at 16.5 psi.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    You guys on 29x2.3 Cross Kings....what width are you seeing mounted up?

I'm getting 2.406" on a 2.35 NoNi on a 27mm rim at 16.5 psi.
    Im over 2.4 as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    But isn't 2,25" a bit too narrow for a trail bike?
    Yes and no.

I am only running 2.25 for my gravel bike, which is not my trail rig.

I have some 2.1's on another older 29er and they are great trail tires

really its a level of comfort with larger tires as you can run less pressure

mtbr member
    lol I've been waiting for the new bike (the frames are still not ready yet, bah) for so long it's probably time to go for terrain/autumnt tires at this point instead of some universal ones.
    I've noticed Schwalbe did some noticeably-looking changes for the better (judging by the few reviews I could find).
    I still have my eyes on the Nobby Nic.
    How about a pair of them, or can anyone think of a combination with something else (I've ultimately decided to stick with Schwalbe so I don't lose my sanity from the amount of possibilities) for not_very_hardcore_trailing during the upcoming time of the year?

mtbr member
    I too am interested in trying the new nobby nic.

I ride a lot of cross country single-track with not a whole lot of elevation and currently am running a Magic Mary 2.35 up front and a 2.35 rock razor out back.

mtbr member
    I think I owe some thanks to the folks who run Cross Kings and highly recommend them.

I got a 29x2.3 CK for the back and a 29x2.3 Mountain King for the front. I definitely like the CK more than the Rekon, but didn't try it up front. Turned out the CK rear/MK front wasn't quite enough for me, but it moved me over to try Continental. Something I wouldn't have done otherwise.

I have ended up on the Black Chili 2.4" Trail King up front and the 2.3 Mountain King on the back. The rear hooks up at least as well as the NoNi on the climbs and the front definitely brakes and steers better than the NoNi. My climb times are identical to the NoNi's, so I have a new favorite combo (and they're cheaper!).