mtbr member

Schwalbe Tubeless too tight.....other better options (Maxxis?)

I needed to replace some old Schwalbe Nobby Nic's. These were the non tubeless version mounted tubeless. I just tried mounting a new set of Tubeless Nobby Nic's 2.25's on Stans ZTR 355 rims (old, non tubeless specific made tubeless). Going to say these are impossible to mount even trying with several metal tire levers.

So....my question is - tire or rim or a combo of both?

Are Maxxis tubeless tires going to be any easier to mount or is it because I'm trying to mount tubeless on a non-tubeless rim which I assume does not have a deep channel in the center to allow for that extra mounting room? If Maxxis may be an easier brand to mount, tire recommendation?

Come on, dare me!
    Based on my own experience with both brands, Maxxis are generally tighter than Schwalbe (for same type of bead). I'm surprised you have trouble mounting tubeless NN on your rims... Did you go to a bike shop to ask for help?

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    I recently mounted a new schwalbe magic mary 2.8 on a specialized carbon boost rim. Took way more than an hr. Absolutely the hardest ordeal ever! lots of soap on the bead. The tire aired up, but the bead would not pop out without a scary amount of PSI! Had to repeat the entire process a few times..

mtbr member
    IME, Schwalbes are not terribly tight on most rims. Stan's rims are tighter. You need to use every possible millimeter of the center channel of the rim.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    IME, Schwalbes are not terribly tight on most rims. Stan's rims are tighter. You need to use every possible millimeter of the center channel of the rim.
    Probably no need to ever carry a spare tube with these.....not a chance you could pop a bead out on the trail...........

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
    Based on my own experience with both brands, Maxxis are generally tighter than Schwalbe (for same type of bead). I'm surprised you have trouble mounting tubeless NN on your rims... Did you go to a bike shop to ask for help?
    My recent experience is opposite of this, schwalbe was so tight that it would "jam" on the lip of the rim and the small indentations of the spoke-holes would then allow the air to escape from the compressor when trying to seat (this is with all kinds of soapy water, etc). I have multiple sets of maxxis tires and they've been much more straightforward.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I've found that Schwalbes are initially tight going on the first time but stretch a little after they've been mounted for a while. Making a remove/reinstall pretty easy. As far as airing up with a compressor I have the stem at the top of the tire when inflating and bounce the wheel a little to help get it to seat. Works every time.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rngspnr View Post
    I've found that Schwalbes are initially tight going on the first time but stretch a little after they've been mounted for a while. Making a remove/reinstall pretty easy. As far as airing up with a compressor I have the stem at the top of the tire when inflating and bounce the wheel a little to help get it to seat. Works every time.
    Thanks......I did mount one last evening, pretty difficult but not impossible and like I said above, no way I would be able to fix a flat trail side with these tires......I'll be walking out.

I could inflate with just a regular pump as the tire beads were so tight on the rim that they were sealed even without any air.

mtbr member
    I had a nightmare of a time mounting a Rock Razor on my I9 rim. Tried everything including soapy water and sealent and high PSI - no luck. Finally had to seat it with a tube and let it sit and stretch for awhile before it would seat tubeless. Never had issues with Maxxis so I'm going back to them.....
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

mtbpete
    In my experience Maxxis TR tires are much looser than Schwalbe tubeless ready tires. Specialized 2bliss tires are also nice an loose. Stay away from anything UST or called straight Tubeless on those rims.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The last few Nobby Nic 27.5x2.25 TLE Addix Speedgrip tires that I use on the rear of my Nox Teocalli rims are much tighter than the earlier versions. They are also much heavier coming in at 735g when rated at 670g. I like to use a tube to seat the bead on one side of the tire because I only have a small two gallon compressor that often fails to seat a tire that doesn't have at least one bead seated. I like to take a ride around the block with the tube in to get the tire shaped and stretched.
    The Nobby Nic has gotten to the point where I am able to seat one on my Teocalli without previously using a tube. Even with my small compressor. It is a pain in the neck to get the tire on without damaging a tube because it is so tight.
    Last edited by TTTURNER; 1 Week Ago at 02:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TTTURNER View Post
    The last few ZNobby Nic 27.5x2.25 TLE Addix Speedgrip tires that I use on the rear of my Nox Teocalli rims are much tighter than the earlier versions. They are also much heavier coming in at 735g when rated at 670g. I like to use a tube to seat the bead on one side of the tire because I only have a small two gallon compressor than often fails to seat a tire that doesn't have at least one bead seated. I like to take a ride around the block with the tube in to get the tire shaped and stretched.
    The Nobby Nic has gotten to the point where I am able to seat one on my Teocalli without previously using a tube. Even with my small compressor. It is a pain in the neck to get the tire on without damaging a tube because it is so tight.
    Yup, no way I was going to be able to mount without damaging a tube. I actually had to loosen the tubeless valve and push it up into the tire to get a few mm or 2 in the center to make it possible.

I had ordered the Nobby Nic 57-622 (29 x 2.25) SnakeSkin, TL Easy Addix Speedgrip which are noted at 710 grams. One measured 754 and the second was 795 grams....BIG difference!

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride-beer-rinse-repeat View Post
    I had a nightmare of a time mounting a Rock Razor on my I9 rim. Tried everything including soapy water and sealent and high PSI - no luck. Finally had to seat it with a tube and let it sit and stretch for awhile before it would seat tubeless. Never had issues with Maxxis so I'm going back to them.....
    Odd, I had a Rock Razor on a I9 rim and it was tight but I managed with my repeatedly sprained old thumbs.

I just mounted 2 pair of HD2/MM to my We Are One Agent wheel sets, and I did resort to using tire levers, but it wasn't that bad. Sealed up quickly and doesn't leak.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.