Schwalbe tire info needed?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Schwalbe tire info needed?

Purchased a 29x2.4 "Rapid Rob" tire a few years ago. According to the seller it was not an ordinary Rapid Rob. Was looking on Schwalbe's website and the current Rapid Rob is an entry level Kevlar tire. My tire's sidewall lists EVO, TLR & Pacestar 3 compound. Anyone know if EVO and Pacestar 3 made for a good schwalbe tire?

Thanks.Schwalbe tire info needed?-img_0818.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Normally with Schwalbe you have Performance and Evolution line. Evolution line is more expensive, better and more advanced then Performance. Evo is sign for Evolution line. Now what is current situation with Rapid Rob you can check on Schwalbe web, but Evo and Pacestar made for good tire when this model was actual (I was never riding Rapid Rob, as my standard Schwalbe setup is Racing Ralph rear and Racing Ray or Rocket Ron front). But thing is, Schwalbe moved from Pacestar and other rubber compound markings to Addix quite a while ago, so this particular tire is probably at least some 3 or 4 years old, but probably more.
    Primoz

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by primoz View Post
    Normally with Schwalbe you have Performance and Evolution line. Evolution line is more expensive, better and more advanced then Performance. Evo is sign for Evolution line. Now what is current situation with Rapid Rob you can check on Schwalbe web, but Evo and Pacestar made for good tire when this model was actual (I was never riding Rapid Rob, as my standard Schwalbe setup is Racing Ralph rear and Racing Ray or Rocket Ron front). But thing is, Schwalbe moved from Pacestar and other rubber compound markings to Addix quite a while ago, so this particular tire is probably at least some 3 or 4 years old, but probably more.
    Thanks -

I did buy the tire @ least a year or so ago. Was originally going to run it as a front tire but 2.6's came out & I went that direction. Have it as a rear tire now, traction is great but it feels a little un supported on hard turns - casing is a little on the thin side.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Purchased a 29x2.4 "Rapid Rob" tire a few years ago. According to the seller it was not an ordinary Rapid Rob. Was looking on Schwalbe's website and the current Rapid Rob is an entry level Kevlar tire. My tire's sidewall lists EVO, TLR & Pacestar 3 compound. Anyone know if EVO and Pacestar 3 made for a good schwalbe tire?

Thanks.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0818.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	215.0 KB 
ID:	1345205
    It's a great tire if you use it for what it is (fast, light weight, higher volume tire). This is basically a couple of generations only RacingRalph tread design with a generation old top level construction and rubber compound. It's meant to be speed oriented tire so if your banging it off rocks all the time I wouldn't expect to to hold up too well. If you use it on fast smooth trails it'll give you some extra traction and comfort over a 2.25 (I use mine on my rigid SS 29er) and not slow you down.
    Mole

mtbr member
    I've had a few of those tires. They came on two different niner sir9 builds and I found a few at Jenson years ago. They made a great light duty SS front tire for mild trails but have very thin side walls. Running them at lower psi (below 23) created bare side walls and severe sealant leaks. They do roll well and are very supple but once again not great in any rocks.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"