Schwalbe Thunder Burt Liteskin and Tubeless at Lower Pressures- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pressed001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    159

    Schwalbe Thunder Burt Liteskin and Tubeless at Lower Pressures

    Hello everyone,
    I have used Tubeless Thunder Burt's for all my bikes and always wanted to run less pressure than the given minimum of 2.0 bar. Running them at 2.0 is just too hard for most of my riding. When I ran them with 1.5 or 1.75 bar they would burp like crazy and by the end of a 1 hour ride I would have nearly no pressure left.
    My solution to that issue was building a new hookless wheelset but that is turning out to be no solution as the tires still burp at pressures lower than 2.0 bar. I am beginning to think that the bead on these is rather pliable and really should not be used lower than 2.0 bar. I did however read an article about these tires where they ran them at 1.73 bar. It could be that they were running with tubes but they don't every really specify.
    Anyone else have in put on this?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    12,952
    It looks like you'll have to use a tube to get the bigger footprint and added traction you want from this tire. Probably on a 25mm inner width rim. It'd be nice if you could go wider but that depends on the volume and tread profile. The tread profile may square off at low pressure on a 30mm rim.
    But back to the tube. It'll add weight. And at the higher weight you could choose a tire designed more for lower pressures and wider rims. Bontrager XR2 Team is one. 29x2.2 is 630g and works great for me on a 30mm inner rim at 14psi for a front and 18 for a rear.
    This line of tires was designed with more volume and a more rounded tread profile to work at lower pressures on wider rims.
    Your pressure is restricted by terrain. You can't go below where you begin to get rim hits.

  3. #3
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    32,650
    They are schwalbe tires. All bets are off when dealing with their dubious quality and engineering. Except for a few limited roles/tires, I stay far far away.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pressed001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    159
    Thanks a lot for the valuable input.

    I have looked at various tubeless tires from different manufacturers and am pretty disappointed. Some manufacturers don't even post pressure specs about the tires. In fact, most of them do not. This makes my job very difficult.

    What I have found is that the Thunder Burt's offer what seems to be the lowest pressure spec on the market at 1.8 bar for the Snakeskin TR 29x2.25" variant. At a penalty of +100g from my current Liteskin TR 29x2.1" set-up, this may be worth a try. But ultimately it still isn't good enough as I really want downwards of 1.25 bar.

    I went for a ride today with both tires at 2.0 bar and it is just too hard and bounces around too much which sacrifices grip and speed.

    Getting back to your reply, I just built my wheelset which has 622x30c hookless/asymetrical rims so I am ready to rock and roll as far as the wheel is concerned. I thought that the hookless rims would help keep the Thunder Burt's from losing air at lower pressures but this was incorrect.

    Even though I think your suggestion is a good one, to use tubes, this would forefitt all tubeless advantages which for me are pretty significant (grip/rolling-resistance/flat protection).

    After looking around and finding no-one else offering tires that run lower pressures, I may just opt to try the Schwalbe Pro-Core kit. It will add a whopping 200g per tire but this might be outweighed by the advantages. Might be being the key phrase here. The kit also costs a cool (or not so cool, really) 100 bones.

    It would be great to get some other suggestions before shelling out the clams for the kit! :P

    Thanks and regards,
    Christian

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    12,952
    I've not, I mean never looked at the low pressure stats for a tire.
    XR2 Team has no low pressure limit, only high.
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...olorCode=black
    What guides me is terrain sections with rocks and roots combined with speed.
    If I feel rim hits when riding the most challenging section of my ride I know I've got to add pressure to avoid damaging the rim.
    CushCore is another insert to protect your rim when you want lower pressure for traction.

    And check the stats for your rim. That 30c may be the outside dimension not the inside dimension between the beads.
    The inside is what matters for tire profile.

  6. #6
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10,964
    Quote Originally Posted by pressed001 View Post
    Thanks a lot for the valuable input.

    I have looked at various tubeless tires from different manufacturers and am pretty disappointed. Some manufacturers don't even post pressure specs about the tires. In fact, most of them do not. This makes my job very difficult.

    What I have found is that the Thunder Burt's offer what seems to be the lowest pressure spec on the market at 1.8 bar for the Snakeskin TR 29x2.25" variant. At a penalty of +100g from my current Liteskin TR 29x2.1" set-up, this may be worth a try. But ultimately it still isn't good enough as I really want downwards of 1.25 bar.

    I went for a ride today with both tires at 2.0 bar and it is just too hard and bounces around too much which sacrifices grip and speed.

    Getting back to your reply, I just built my wheelset which has 622x30c hookless/asymetrical rims so I am ready to rock and roll as far as the wheel is concerned. I thought that the hookless rims would help keep the Thunder Burt's from losing air at lower pressures but this was incorrect.

    Even though I think your suggestion is a good one, to use tubes, this would forefitt all tubeless advantages which for me are pretty significant (grip/rolling-resistance/flat protection).

    After looking around and finding no-one else offering tires that run lower pressures, I may just opt to try the Schwalbe Pro-Core kit. It will add a whopping 200g per tire but this might be outweighed by the advantages. Might be being the key phrase here. The kit also costs a cool (or not so cool, really) 100 bones.

    It would be great to get some other suggestions before shelling out the clams for the kit! :P

    Thanks and regards,
    Christian
    Why would you go with Pro-Core instead of a tire insert? Is ProCore even made anymore?

    I'd get something like Tubolight instead. It will help hold the tire on the rim, reduce rim strikes, and offer better support of a supple tire at low pressures while reducing squirm. Much better option, IMO.
    Death from Below.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    436
    Can you get Tubolight domestically or is it only available through the manufacturer in Italy?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pressed001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    I've not, I mean never looked at the low pressure stats for a tire.
    XR2 Team has no low pressure limit, only high.
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...olorCode=black
    What guides me is terrain sections with rocks and roots combined with speed.
    If I feel rim hits when riding the most challenging section of my ride I know I've got to add pressure to avoid damaging the rim.
    CushCore is another insert to protect your rim when you want lower pressure for traction.

    And check the stats for your rim. That 30c may be the outside dimension not the inside dimension between the beads.
    The inside is what matters for tire profile.
    Are you running tubeless? What tires do you use and at what pressures? I am using super-lightweight tubeless tires which deform pretty easily and so lose pressure easily when running less than 2.0 bar.

    Cushcore looks good but it's heavy at 290g per wheel. It is made to help keep the tire on the rim and to protect from rim stikes. I just wonder how well it keeps the tire on the rim. It sounds like a good option and the more I look at these products, the more I see that are made primarily for puncture protection which doesn't matter to me. I just need a product that will keep my bead where it belongs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Why would you go with Pro-Core instead of a tire insert? Is ProCore even made anymore?

    I'd get something like Tubolight instead. It will help hold the tire on the rim, reduce rim strikes, and offer better support of a supple tire at low pressures while reducing squirm. Much better option, IMO.
    Turbolight looks really good except for the fact that the 29" size M is made for rims from 23-30mm inner-width. My rims are 30mm and so are at upper most limit which means that the insert will be applying the least amount of outward pressure to hold the bead on the rim. But yeah, it still looks like a great option.

    Thanks for the suggestions. I am learning as we go here.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pressed001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    159
    I just ordered the Turbolight inserts from R2-Bike.com. Excited.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pressed001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    159
    Got the inserts today and will install them ASAP. Pretty excited. Been running the bike pretty hard, working out all the kinks (it's a new build). It's been cold and wet with icy patches so now would be an excellent time to test the inserts.

    From today:


  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    12,952
    Quote Originally Posted by pressed001 View Post
    Are you running tubeless? What tires do you use and at what pressures? I am using super-lightweight tubeless tires which deform pretty easily and so lose pressure easily when running less than 2.0 bar.
    I have been as low as 11psi/0.76bar for a front XR1(old design now the XR2) 2.2 Team with a tube on a 30mm inner rim. I use 700c presta road tubes. They stretch out fine. The traction was the best I've had on hardpack with loose granite dust. That wasn't usable because of rim hits in rocky trail segments.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pressed001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    159
    Hey, so thanks for the info. I installed the Turbolight inserts last week and took the bike for an urban tour taking some pretty long stairways in my neighborhood. The inserts let me run 1 bar front and 1.2 bar rear. It can definitely handle lower pressures and keeping the bead seated isn't a problem.

    The problem seems only to be the size of the inserts. They are pretty big and fill a lot of my 2.1" tires. From what I could tell from that one time is that they seemed pretty stiff for 1 bar. That said, I have never been able to run 1 bar before so I need to use them some more before I can offer a conclusion.

    I should also get the Pro-core set next week and will try that out when I am done with the Turbolights.

Similar Threads

  1. Schwalbe Thunder Burt
    By JAY55 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 130
    Last Post: 4 Weeks Ago, 02:55 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-01-2014, 04:12 PM
  3. Schwalbe Thunder Burt tire
    By westin in forum 27.5
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-27-2014, 06:04 PM
  4. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-21-2014, 09:40 PM
  5. Bontrager xr0 vs Schwalbe thunder burt
    By martinmkd2 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-26-2014, 04:06 AM

Members who have read this thread: 56

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.