Schwalbe Rock Razor reviews- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Schwalbe Rock Razor reviews

Anybody tried these yet? I'm looking for feedback especially compared to Racing Ralphs and specifically as a rear tire. Not for racing, but just general trail riding and shredding trails in the Midwest.

mtbr member
    I've loooked at em a few times. Still on the fence. Tread looks like it will wear out very fast, and I'm curious how it transitions from those small nubs to the big blocks. Seems like it would be squirelly as shit and then all of a sudden hook up. I was running a minion 2.5 with the center tread cut down and it would get real sketchy at times.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Any more opinions on this tire?

I'm with stupid
    seems there is a lot of people like me. I am afraid to pay to try it....

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Same here. Wish specialized made a 26 inch version of the slaughter to try.

mtbr member
    I just ordered one and I'm getting ready to run one as rear tire on my Pivot Mach 6. The mechanic that I trust to work on my bike said he has been running one for about a month and he loves it for our SoCal conditions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Just getting one myself now that the pacestar version is available.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

I have one on the rear of my Trance 27.5. Live NorCal...mostly dry hardpack conditions thus far and i really like it.

Have the snakeskin version. Set up tubeless just fine and i measures true to its 2.35 width

Rolls really fast and it does indeed corner well. Will break away when you want it too but not on it's own so far.

Need more time on it but so far i am a fan.
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

Chris Bling
    Seems like Pinkbike loves them...

Schwalbe Rock Razor Tire - Review - Pinkbike
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Handbuilt Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Here is a review I did for my bike build

I have been running the Hans/ rock razor combo for about 6 months now. I really like this combo it super fast rolling, surprising grippy even in the wet which surprised me. Living in Northern California we have a ton of hard pack trails this is the idea tire combo for around here. The cornering ability is amazing the Hans has very controlled feeling when it does drift you know it's going to bite into something and not wash if you have yourself weighted on the tire. The rock razor is the same once it's put on its side knobs it's got full traction and will take you through any corner pinned. I see specialized is coming out with a similar tire so you know a lot more folk in hard pack environments will be running these tires. We don't need super knobby tires like you would for loamy type of conditions. The rock razor tire brakes well I wouldn't say it excels in braking but it gets the job done. I run a super gravity casing in the rear due to the fact I am really really hard on rims so I like the added casing on the tire. Only pit fall is the only available compound that is available is the softer trail star but surprising enough it has survived quite well with about 6 months of good use and showing some wear mostly on the side knobs but nothing like a Hans or a nobby nic would on the rear of a bike.
    Last edited by Darkstar187; 04-27-2014 at 01:48 PM.

I ride a Swarf
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar187 View Post
    Here is a review I did for my bike build

Only pit fall is the only available compound that is available is the softer pace star but surprising enough it has survived quite well with about 6 months of good use and showing some wear mostly on the side knobs but nothing like a Hans or a nobby nic would on the rear of a bike.
    Pace star is the hardest/fastest shwalbe compound.

I am interested in this tyre. I like to run a sticky front tyre (super tacky or vert star something normally), and in the past I ran a racing ralph on the rear, one extreme to the other end to end but I like it...the ralph is just too fragile though.
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    pacestar is perfect. However I'm still curious how it rides before its fully leaned and on the outside knobs, seems like it would be all over the place until you hook the outside knobs. I'm all for the drift, but predictability doesn't seem like it would be the way to describe a tire like this. Need to ride one though, all just a guess. Too bad I'm not shelling out $70+ for a rear tire, lol
    friends don't let friends Fred

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart B View Post
    Pace star is the hardest/fastest shwalbe compound.

I am interested in this tyre. I like to run a sticky front tyre (super tacky or vert star something normally), and in the past I ran a racing ralph on the rear, one extreme to the other end to end but I like it...the ralph is just too fragile though.
    Thanks! I corrected it to trail star

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    I used a On-One Smorgasbord on the rear tyre of my GT Sanction in trail-extreme edition (shore 42a shoulder knobs, 60a centerline)... it worked really well, but after a couple of vacations in the rockier parts of the south of France the knobs were mostly worn away.

Anyway, so I switched to the Magic Mary / Rock Razor front/rear combo in Evo casing, and went on a long ride through the Belgian Ardennes two days ago. When riding over asphalt, the improved rolling resistance could be noticed, but was not a huge difference. I did my best to lean the bike into the corners, and never felt a clear transition between the center en shoulder threads, which is a good thing, but this may be because I usually ride at around 1.8bar / 26psi in the rear tyre.

The first thing I noticed was when riding over rougher paths, the shoulder knobs would sometimes let go of a rock/root with a loud popping sound. It didn't affect the ride, but made a jarring noise.
    Another thing was when descending a steep rooty path in a straight line (e.g. this kind of stuff) while using my rear brake a little, I could hear the smaller knobs slide over the occasional root. The solution is probably more weight over the rear tyre, but it didn't really affect my confidence all that much.

So far I like the rock razor as a rear tyre, and I'm curious how it will behave in wetter/muddier circumstances...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by two-one View Post
    I switched to the Magic Mary / Rock Razor front/rear combo in Evo casing, and went on a long ride through the Belgian Ardennes two days ago. When riding over asphalt, the improved rolling resistance could be noticed, but was not a huge difference. I did my best to lean the bike into the corners, and never felt a clear transition between the center en shoulder threads, which is a good thing, but this may be because I usually ride at around 1.8bar / 26psi in the rear tyre.
    On my second ride using this combo and loving it however:

- Magic Mary throws a so much debris into my face while riding. Fork's seals where also full of sand after yesterday's ride!
    - Rock Razor is already showing some bad cracks on the side knobs, disappointing durability. SuperGravity TrailStar casing.

Are you experiencing the same?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    just rode the Hans / Razor combo tonight. I love it. I was initially concerned with the grip of the razor on climbs, but it worked well. I just came from front and rear HR11's and the weight difference in the Hans / Razor was noticeable. I'm taking the new combo on a 30 mile ride Sat to really put it to the test (Enduro ride). EVO / Pacestar casing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iguanabartola View Post
    On my second ride using this combo and loving it however:

- Magic Mary throws a so much debris into my face while riding. Fork's seals where also full of sand after yesterday's ride!
    - Rock Razor is already showing some bad cracks on the side knobs, disappointing durability. SuperGravity TrailStar casing.

Are you experiencing the same?
    I'm using a RockRazor in Pacestar compound, and it seems to be crackfree... and wear is minimal for the kind of riding I've been doing in Digne-les-Bains a while ago... dry rough rocky stuff.
    The Magic Mary is in trailstar compound, and showed cracks in the base of the shoulderknobs afters just a few rides... but after a lot of riding, they are still just that... cracks, they haven't been ripped off or anything.

mtbr member
    I too have the HD/RR set up ^^
    wet roots, forget about it! RR just don't like em... same for wet hard pack & or mud... anything pointing up, damp and techie & RR will spin several times before finally getting up & over...

Taking it out for spin in morning on dry sandy/stoney/rocky trails (reason why I bought it) pretty sure it will own... will comment later re, dry testing

Update:

I'm in love with the RR (when used as intended) out for 2hr ride with the bro & father-in-law[s], this morning...
    First 30mins were spent riding along state highway ('major boring sh!t!! Matrix-Quote-Spoiler-Alert)
    Finally we got to the trails (sandy/stoney/rocky) and RR was right in its element!
    RR gripped rocks like a landlord who's finally got his hands on last week's rent! Absolutely fantastic!

Infact I cleaned the whole techy/climby section, while my bro in-law walked as much he rode... the father-in-law walked a few segments. So, for visiting the relies - (arid/desert sort of environment) I've found my go-to rear tyre.
    Last edited by targnik; 11-07-2014 at 06:23 PM.
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    I have had the same results as most have detailed above.
    I've been running a Snakeskin version on a Derby 40mm rim pretty much since they became available
    it responds well to pressure changes. wear in the rocky terrain around Phoenix has been more then acceptable.
    I was worried about slicing a sidewall. but, so far its not been an issue.
    one good charicteristic not yet mentioned is excellent floatation in sand due to the big volume casing.
    I just picked up a SuperGravity version for another bike. the sidewalls are much stiffer while the casing under the tread is still very supple.
    it should work really well for the Nomad I'm setting up..

mtbr member
    I'm running snake skin 2.35 on RT... several rides in (rocky, dusty, desert terrain) and some of the central nobs are looking a lot worse for wear!? Even more disconcerting is my trusty Hans Dampf 2.35 snake skin up front has several nobs almost cut through!? Frickin rocks!!!

-------------------------------------
    Opinions are like A-holes... everybody
    has one & they're usually full of...??

mtbr member
    Trying RR up front in my current desert riding environment... will take a little getting used to ^^ certainly rolls a lot quicker ;-p

mtbr member
    RR for FT on dry/rocky/arid trails seems to work fairly well. I do sense/feel the occasional bit of sideways movement (loss of traction), but those burly side knobs always (so far) kick in and save the day... front to back slippage on tech climbs/descents helps test your gumption 4 shizzle!

I'm with stupid
    Anyone else have and time on these? I am tempted to try a different semislick to see how it compares to the mavic roam I have on the rear now.

mtbr member
    I ran them for a while. Lots of casing issues and durability sucked. I switched to the Spec Slaughter and it wears significantly better.

I'm with stupid
    How long where they lasting for? I would use the slaughter but they dont make it in little kid 26er wheels and Im still running small wheels on my HD.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just mounted one up on a LightBike 30mm rim and it looks huge compared to the newish Butcher 2.3 up front. Only ridden it around the block and believe that I sense a decrease in rolling resistance relative to the Purgatory it replaced. Even in Evo/PaceStar the sidewalls seem plenty supportive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Ordered a fresh MM/HD combo and they emailed that the HD was back-ordered. Seemed like a good chance to roll the dice on a Rock Razor. I don't have super high expectations for it, but am looking forward to it at the same time.

mtbr member
    Thought I'd chime in.
    I recently bought a Transition Patrol and it came stock with a rock razor/magic mary combo. I too was hesitant to shell out the case based on some bad reviews that mention that they wear too fast etc. But I was intrigued by them so when the Patrol came into my life I was thrilled that it came with these tires. Transition smartly specs the softer compound up front and the more durable in the rear.

I ride in New England (Boston area) so I really should have some big knobs out back, but overall I am OK with the RR in the rear.

I ride a lot of rocky, rooty singletrack with jumps and drops (E.g. Vietnam) and short punchy climbs. The RR does slip out while climbing if there is any moisture at all and has a hard time with leaves. Not good for NE really. But! It is super fast, the cornering knobs work quite well, and it is super fun. I have pinch flatted in short time on these trails - I think mostly due to the fact that there is simply not a lot of rubber between the rocks and the rim.

I also ride at Blue Hills which has larg-ish hills (for NE). Blue Hills has some super rocky trails. Large boulders and loose shale-like sections. When the rocks are dry, the RR is the perfect tire. But once, it was humid and the rocks were still cool and so they were sweating, and the RR was slipping out everywhere!

But the real reason I wanted to try these tires is that I also ride Highland Mountain Bike Park, and they have smooth flow trails, some of which (Hellion) require all the speed you can get to make the large step-ups. The fast rolling tread helps here as expected. And the cornering knobs work great as well. There were times where I almost "lost it" out back but I stayed on the pedals and the let the cornering knobs keep me from going over and I was actually drifting around the berms. Super fun if not a bit unnerving. On the gnarlier DH trails, I was wishing for something meatier. That same "fun" floating spot was scary when negotiating steep, rocky, narrow tree lined chutes. This is where you want precision, and the RR is a bit vague.

Wear? So far so good, but this is my first season. I see may people at Highland with MM's F&R and the rear one is always ripped to shreds. So the wear issue is probably more for the bigger knobs getting shredded by H bikes. The small knobs of the RR are simply too small to rip off or tear.

So Bottom line for me is that you can "get by" in NE with a Rock Razor in the rear.
    The RR obviously gives up some climbing and braking traction but trades it for speed and fun. It excels exactly where expected - on smoother, harder, dryer trails including rocks. In my opinion this is a great product (long term wear TBD). It is what it is, and it does what it was intended to do and exactly what you would expect.
    I am still not sure I would shell out the $$ for a new one given that I need my one bike to excell everywhere in NE, but if I had a dedicated park bike or two sets of tires/wheels OR lived somewhere with dryer and harder conditions I would definitely buy one. Or maybe try two for a flow trail specific setup!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Took my first ride on the MM/RR combo today. Obviously, my experience on the RR is limited, so take my observations with a grain of salt. I'll post further down the road if my thoughts on it change. Conditions were dry hardpack, loose over hard, and some rocky bits.

The good:
    • Low rolling resistance made climbing a breeze even with MM up front
    • Absolutely rails when you lay it over
    • Good climbing traction on dry rock and hardpack
    • Transition to cornering knobs is pretty seamless

The less good:
    • Rear wheel spin on loose climbs (not terrible)
    • Commit to the lean or get ready to slide
    • Almost certainly will climb badly in the rain

So far I'm liking the RR. I didn't expect to adjust to it so quickly, but most of the time it feels pretty normal. Mostly you get what you'd expect from a high volume XC tire, both positive and negative, until you tear into a flat corner and find that "faster than you should" has become "not as fast as you could."

Now, if you're timid with your lean, it is pretty drifty. I had a few moments where I was sure I was done, but the edge always hooked up eventually. I think a really grippy, predictable, hard cornering front tire is probably critical if you're running a RR.

I haven't ridden it when it's wet, but I don't expect great things. Probably will still corner well, though. Long term, I don't expect to perceive it as the "best" rear tire for my riding, but it's by no means the joke I thought it might be. It's a really solid performer. Throw in the awesome feeling of getting pulled back from the void at the last second by the big cornering knobs, and it's hard not to like it. I expect to be bummed when fall weather forces me to pull it off. (Or when it falls apart like every other PoS Schwalbe tire)

Edit: Got out on the RR in the rain. Not terrible, but not great. Climbed pretty well except on slimy wet rock. Cornered well if you laid it over, but harder to commit in slick conditions so definitely slid around a fair bit. Only went down hard once and was really pushing it for the conditions. Was on my ass so fast, I think I lost the MM first tbh.
    Last edited by JohnnyVV; 08-17-2015 at 07:11 PM.