Schwalbe Pressure Professer- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Schwalbe Pressure Professer

Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for ďI suck at brake control.Ē Hereís a free tip: get better."

ccm
    aka Taprider
    2.1 bar 30 psi
    HAHHHHHH!!!!!
    no F'n way

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Seems reasonable
    It actually was within 1/2 lb for my preferred front pressure and spot on for my rear.
    17f 20r 185lbs 2.8" tires on i45 rims.

mtbr member
    It was actually exactly what I've been going with lately, 24 psi front 27 rear. I've done one before on a different site I guess that said I should be way lower it was like 17psi.

If you play with the different conditions and trail types it varies a lot though, I put rocky terrain and mixed conditions, mixed terrain mixed conditions says to go lower, which is probably reasonable.

mtbr member
    Played with that earlier today.

At 145lbs (no gear)...its telling me 23 and 26 psi for 2.35 and 24mm IW rims. 17 and 20 psi for 2.6 and 30mm IW rims. A few PSI higher than I usually run. I'm willing to give it a try.

I did mixed and dry conditions.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    80kg, 25mm rim, 60mm tyre, XC riding, Mixed terrain, Mixed conditions.
    27f 30r !

My normal pressures are 20f 22r and 22f 24r if it's rocky.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    What it fails to take into consideration is the individual characteristics of different tire brands and models.
    I'd suspect that with the same tire size, I'd settle on different pressures for tires throughout their own model range.
    Also, some people ride harder than others. Crashing and bashing their way along, while others tread lightly and land smoothly
    I think it's a pretty good tool for getting a rough pressure to start with.

since 4/10/2009
    Wow, pretty far off for my own case. I'm running about 13f/17r on 29x2.6 WTB Vigilante/Trail Boss tires on 30mm DT rims and Huck Norris insert in the rear. It's recommending something in the 23f/27r neighborhood for me (with how I actually ride), so roughly a 10psi difference. Playing with the settings, I don't really get it to spit out anything close unless I find the exact setting that spits out the lowest pressure for my riding (which doesn't really reflect my riding or terrain well). And even then it's high.

I suppose it's as good a starting point as any, but you probably still should follow the axiom "when in doubt, let it out" to fine tune.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    This one's actually pretty close to what I run. Most other tire pressure widgets give me an absurdly low pressure that would result in trashed tires & rims within 5 minutes of riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    80kg, 25mm rim, 60mm tyre, XC riding, Mixed terrain, Mixed conditions.
    27f 30r !

My normal pressures are 20f 22r and 22f 24r if it's rocky.
    Almost the same as me (82 kg on 2.35s: 28/30 recommended, 19/20 actual).

mtbr member
    Way higher than what I run but I don't use Schwalbe tires. I'm not sure how the casings match up to mine but I got 27/30 psi which would be pretty terrible for me, currently @ about 20/23 and if anything I should probably go a little lower.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was expecting lower pressures, itís quite conservative. I fudged the categoryís and to lower the pressures they want less weight , experience coupled w/ a heavier casing riding DH.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Stan's lbs/7 (-1 front, +1rear) is closer for me.

Lbs/8 -1,+1 is even better as a start point (for me).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Played with that earlier today.

At 145lbs (no gear)...its telling me 23 and 26 psi for 2.35 and 24mm IW rims and 20 psi for 2.6 and 30mm IW rims. A few PSI higher than I usually run. I'm willing to give it a try.

I did mixed and dry conditions.
    I tried the higher pressure on my Following...hell no. The pressures were way too high. The bike was chattering so bad on the way back down. The rear tire would skip when braking hard.

mtbr member
    I've settled on a 10psi split, 20psi front and 30psi rear, which no one seems to recommend or use besides me. Most guides recommend higher up front and lower out back, and then I lose cornering traction and wash the front, and dent up my rear wheel. No thanks.

A formula approach always seemed pretty weird. My bike is raked out and most of my weight is over the rear tire as-is, a 1 or 2 psi split doesnt support that.

Barely in control
    As you go down in riding ability, the rec pressure gets lower. Pro vs Rookie is 2.1 bar vs 1.6 bar.

Riding Style is murky.

Casing is Schwalbe specific. Going to Grid or TNT is guesswork.

Rider weight is without clothing. So the 25-35lb bike and 0-10lbs of gear is irrelevant? Ok.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Most guides recommend higher up front and lower out back
    Every guide I've seen recommends higher pressure in the rear (and I agree, a bit of oversteer is way preferable to washing out the front tire in a turn).

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    It's exactly what I run with Schwalbe tires. 165 lbs without gear, 2.35 tires, 30mm rims, enduro, intermediate, mixed, dry, tubeless, snakeskin = 21 psi front 23 psi rear.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Just raced the 50 mile WOR last Saturday. I was able to absolutely slam the descents. Running a bit more than 30psi on 2.25 RRs, itís simply whatís needed to prevent pinches and rim impacts on extremely sharp and loose terrain. I suffered a bit in some turns, but I watched a guy in front of me launch into a sharp rock garden on the 2k descent and he flatted right away. I need to be able to finish the race and bomb the descent. Lots of people find this out the hard way on this race, unless they are running big plus sizes, in which case they are slow and and far behind anyways.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Just raced the 50 mile WOR last Saturday. I was able to absolutely slam the descents. Running a bit more than 30psi on 2.25 RRs, itís simply whatís needed to prevent pinches and rim impacts on extremely sharp and loose terrain. I suffered a bit in some turns, but I watched a guy in front of me launch into a sharp rock garden on the 2k descent and he flatted right away. I need to be able to finish the race and bomb the descent. Lots of people find this out the hard way on this race, unless they are running big plus sizes, in which case they are slow and and far behind anyways.
    I bet if you put in rocky, enduro, pro you will get a number like that out of this calculator.

And I have seen plenty of complaints here on MTBR of pinch flats when tubeless, and smashed rims, that I know a lot of folks are taking risks with excessively low air pressure.

Rides all the bikes!
    Pretty close to what I run on my Enduro, though not currently on Schwalbe. XC was pretty far off. My pressures are a bit lower on XC than Enduro (not a lot though), the calculator wanted way higher. But, I'm willing to experiment.