Schwalbe Manic Mary and Nobby Nic on wide rims?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ineedmorecowbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    167

    Schwalbe Manic Mary and Nobby Nic on wide rims?

    Anyone running this combo? Got some 650b Derby's and looking for new tires. Thinking a MM front and a NN pacestar rear. Do the NN's last longer as a rear tire than the HD's? Previously ran Geax Gomas and liked them but my LBS( universal cycles) isn't carrying the new Vittoria version. Also the Gomas weren't the best for slick roots in the PNW.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Ineedmorecowbell View Post
    Anyone running this combo? Got some 650b Derby's and looking for new tires. Thinking a MM front and a NN pacestar rear. Do the NN's last longer as a rear tire than the HD's? Previously ran Geax Gomas and liked them but my LBS( universal cycles) isn't carrying the new Vittoria version. Also the Gomas weren't the best for slick roots in the PNW.
    I want to know this too. I just bought 30mm rims and plan on running them with 2.35" Hans Dampf and Magic Mary.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TamiJean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    629
    I am running this exact combo right now. 29mm ID roval fatties. the MM blows up nice and fat on it i would caution going any wider. the Casing is almost as wide as the knobs. the 2.35 NN gets a nice profile as well.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    271
    NN in Pacestar has been holding up pretty well as a rear. Only running them on 25mm IDs, so can't help you there.

    Just tossed on a MM front (25mm ID) and it is an amazing tire.

    I had a set of 30mm light bikes for a while, the Hans did not play nice as a front. Too square; leaning over, you'd hit the edge of the tire way too soon. Put it on my 25mm IDs and it was better but still not my 100% favorite tire. I actually think I prefer the NN, the recent redesign turned it into a really good tire.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TamiJean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    629
    Quote Originally Posted by greenblur View Post
    NN in Pacestar has been holding up pretty well as a rear. Only running them on 25mm IDs, so can't help you there.

    Just tossed on a MM front (25mm ID) and it is an amazing tire.

    I had a set of 30mm light bikes for a while, the Hans did not play nice as a front. Too square; leaning over, you'd hit the edge of the tire way too soon. Put it on my 25mm IDs and it was better but still not my 100% favorite tire. I actually think I prefer the NN, the recent redesign turned it into a really good tire.
    I agree on the new NN. It is my current favorite rear tire. fast rolling but surprisingly good cornering grip and a good balance of breaking grip and thats just with the performance model im running. I have a snakeskin Trailstar waiting as soon as my next races get closer in may.

  6. #6
    LCW
    LCW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,456
    I'll be trying the MM/NN combo on some Ibis 35mm ID rims... might be some knob trimming if they end up too square lol

    Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4


  7. #7
    Live Free & Ride
    Reputation: NH Mtbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,504
    Quote Originally Posted by TamiJean View Post
    I am running this exact combo right now. 29mm ID roval fatties. the MM blows up nice and fat on it i would caution going any wider. the Casing is almost as wide as the knobs. the 2.35 NN gets a nice profile as well.
    Do you happen to have a pic or measurement on the Mary? I just picked up the 2.35 and the treads look awesome. I did measure the bead to bead and it came out at 150mm or 6 inches even. Can't wait to run this tire on the front man!

    Will have it on carbon 30i rim and pressure range of 18-22 psi - hoping?

    Top Features of the Schwalbe Magic Mary Snakeskin TL-Easy Folding 29er Tire

    Specification
    Size: 29 x 2.35"
    Weight: 885g ..........Mine weighed 920g out of the box!
    PSI rating: 23-50 psi
    SnakeSkin sidewall technology
    Tubeless Easy ready
    All Mountain, Enduro riding or World Cup racing - the most Versatile tyre ever from Schwalbe
    Super Gravity construction
    17 Fuel EX 9.9 (in progress)
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

    https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TamiJean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    629



  9. #9
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,896
    I just stuck a Magic Mary front and Hans Dampf rear on Specialized fattie carbon hoops (30mm inner). I have not had a chance to ride them yet due to constant snow over the weekend thru today. Hopefully get on on them in the next couple days. I will report back after said ride.

  10. #10
    LCW
    LCW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,456

    Schwalbe Manic Mary and Nobby Nic on wide rims?

    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    I'll be trying the MM/NN combo on some Ibis 35mm ID rims... might be some knob trimming if they end up too square lol
    Just to follow up... Really digging this combo... working perfect on the wide rims. Able to run very low pressures... I'm normally around 27F/30R on normal width rims.... running 18F/21R on these. Nic rolls quite well too.








    Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4


  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: miles e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,051
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Just to follow up... Really digging this combo... working perfect on the wide rims.
    Cool, interested to try that combo with 35i Derby's. Like the idea of the faster Nic in the rear, but curious how much abuse the casing can handle. Let us know how they hold up, and enjoy that mean looking bike!

  12. #12
    LCW
    LCW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,456
    Some measurements on the 941's (after 2+ weeks being mounted)

    Magic Mary @ 18 psi:
    casing: 2.499
    knobs: 2.403

    Nobby Nic @ 21 psi:
    casing: 2.436
    knobs: 2.322

    Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4


  13. #13
    I'm a doctor too
    Reputation: Pe8er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    102
    Guys, can you specify the conditions you ride in? I'm trying to make a decision between MM/NN or DHF/DHR-II combo for North California / Arizona and knowing where you ride would be hugely helpful. Thank you!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: targnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4,981
    Guessing that Manic Mary is a pretty hairy tyre >.<

    -----------------------------------------------------------
    #1 resolution... Ride it like I stole it!!
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

Similar Threads

  1. 650b Schwalbe Magic Mary Review
    By loamranger in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 06-12-2015, 04:06 PM
  2. Schwalbe Magic Mary
    By evasive in forum 29er Components
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-19-2013, 09:05 PM
  3. Schwalbe tires! Big Betty and muddy mary?
    By bullcrew in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 193
    Last Post: 03-12-2013, 10:43 AM
  4. Stan's Rims and Schwalbe Nobby Nic's
    By chrisgardner73 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-10-2012, 08:19 PM
  5. Schwalbe Muddy Mary - what do you think about it?
    By gabriel10 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-19-2012, 05:14 PM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.