mtbr member
    Aug 2010

School me on Maxxis tires

I need to buy some new tires pretty quickly but have been a Schwalbe guy for years.

I know enough about Maxxis to be intrigued, but not enough to make a selection.

Looking to be brought up to speed on Maxxis terminology (casing, compound, etc) so I can make an informed decision.

I’d also like to know if/how I can get versions without the yellow logo on the sidewall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015
    Start with the maxxis website lol. They explain every terminology. White ones i think are oem only. You can use a marker and black out the yellow.

End of thread.

turtles make me hot
    Which ones do you like? I had Ardents once and I don't think they had the giant yellow Maxxis on them. They were good tires.

That's why they make black sharpies. Haha! Sup, man?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Which ones do you like? I had Ardents once and I don't think they had the giant yellow Maxxis on them. They were good tires.

That's why they make black sharpies. Haha! Sup, man?
    Thinking Minion DHF front. Not sure about rear yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    Thinking Minion DHF front. Not sure about rear yet.

Different compounds for different terrain and weather also. The 42a/ supertacky or 3c is good for grip but wears quickly. Great tire nevertheless.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    worldwide cyclery just did a video on this on youtube

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    Start with the maxxis website lol. They explain every terminology. White ones i think are oem only. You can use a marker and black out the yellow.

End of thread.
    This. Website covers it all. White is OEM only.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Prepare for disappointment

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    Prepare for disappointment
    In what?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    2.5 DHF or shorty Front, EXO casing 3C Maxterra if you want a softer tire but it will increase drag

2.4 DHR or 2.35/2.5 Aggressor, w/casing Double Down=Super Grav

You can usually find great deals on DHF/DHR combos on ebay & pinkbike.

Barely in control
    Usually undersized, wear out fast, cost a premium. But they have a huge amount of random tread patterns and a huge yellow logo so they must be good.

turtles make me hot
    Ever taken a look at the Specialized Butcher Grid?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I was a schwable guy also until just recently. I loved how light Schwable were for the grip and i could always find them on discount. I have a closet full of Nobby Nics, Hans Dampf, and Rocket Ron's. I just recently moved to maxxis on my Devinci Troy 150/140mm to 3C Maxx Terra DHF 2.6 front and Rekon 2.6 rear.

I notice they have a lot more traction but they are definitely heavier and have more rolling resistance. Where i ride there is a lot of sugar sand and no sharp rocks so longevity has never been an issue for me and the wider tire helps float over sand.

It may not be a completely fair comparison since i moved from 2.35 to 2.6 but i really like the maxxis even though they have the yellow lettering.

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    wear out fast, cost a premium. But they have a huge amount of random tread patterns.
    OP says he is used to Schwalbe......Maxxis will seem like a bargain.
    Bicycles don’t have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Usually undersized, wear out fast, cost a premium. But they have a huge amount of random tread patterns and a huge yellow logo so they must be good.
    this is funny. what tires do you use that are so otherwordly?
    1985 Trek 670
    2016 Kona Process 111
    2017 Ritchey P29er
    2018 Trek Domane SL6

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    wtb makes some nice tires with low key print on the sides
    1985 Trek 670
    2016 Kona Process 111
    2017 Ritchey P29er
    2018 Trek Domane SL6

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by trekninja View Post
    this is funny. what tires do you use that are so otherwordly?
    Bontrager. Lighter faster bigger cheaper by 30 retail.

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    Bontrager. Lighter faster bigger cheaper by 30 retail.
    ive run plenty of bontager. good tires, they arent close to a dhf though. and for real, if you cant find a maxxis for under $50, youre not trying
    1985 Trek 670
    2016 Kona Process 111
    2017 Ritchey P29er
    2018 Trek Domane SL6

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by trekninja View Post
    ive run plenty of bontager. good tires, they arent close to a dhf though. and for real, if you cant find a maxxis for under $50, youre not trying
    Post a link of a new mxxis dhf under 50 shipped. Youre using gross generalizations, stating "they" arent as good as a dhf though. Comparing a whole tire line to a single offering. No, Bomtrager doesnt makena motorcycle tire for bikes you are correct, however they make plenty of good offerings. Hes coming from Schwalbe which also doesnt make a tire comprable to the DHF. So basically this thread is devolving into just another tire argument when the op actual auestions were answered in the first reply.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hes coming from Schwalbe which also doesnt make a tire comprable to the DHF. So basically this thread is devolving into just another tire argument when the op actual auestions were answered in the first reply.
    I don't know if you're a window licker or if you've been living under rock for the last 10 years, but Schwalbe makes a tire called the Magic Mary that's a direct competitor to the DHF.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'd never really noticed that the OEM tires have white logos and the aftermarket ones yellow. If it's the same tire, why the difference ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

School me on Maxxis tires

Post a link of a new mxxis dhf under 50 shipped. Youre using gross generalizations, stating "they" arent as good as a dhf though. Comparing a whole tire line to a single offering. No, Bomtrager doesnt makena motorcycle tire for bikes you are correct, however they make plenty of good offerings. Hes coming from Schwalbe which also doesnt make a tire comprable to the DHF. So basically this thread is devolving into just another tire argument when the op actual auestions were answered in the first reply.
    Yes, wasn’t looking to start a which is better thread. Just some info on Maxxis acronyms with maybe a little general commentary added in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    EXO=tougher casing, best if you don't want flats
    3C=triple compound; MaxxGrip=best grip, MaxxTerra=blend of grip and speed, MaxxSpeed=fastest

DC=Dual Compound
    TR=Tubeless Ready
    DHF=DownHill Front (but can be used front or rear, most use as a front)
    DHR, DHRII=DownHill Rear (OG and newer one), see above
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

SS Pusher Man
    Maxxis Minion DHF 29 x 2.5 EXO Tubeless Ready Tire in Tree Fort Bikes 29'' Tires

Maxxis Minion DHR II 29 x 2.3 EXO Tubeless Ready Tire in Tree Fort Bikes 29'' Tires

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...olorCode=black

My biggest issue with Maxxis vs. Bontrager is availablility. I can go into just about any LBS and find a Maxxis tire....whereas I went to several different Trek dealers for a couple different Bonty tires....every shop only had a couple tires total. Let alone the ones I was looking for. Yeah, I could have ordered them online, paid full retail of $75 + overpriced shipping.

I used to work for a Trek dealer....not impressed with their tires.

Ebikes are not bicycles

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    EXO=tougher casing, best if you don't want flats
    3C=triple compound; MaxxGrip=best grip, MaxxTerra=blend of grip and speed, MaxxSpeed=fastest

DC=Dual Compound
    TR=Tubeless Ready
    DHF=DownHill Front (but can be used front or rear, most use as a front)
    DHR, DHRII=DownHill Rear (OG and newer one), see above
    https://singletrackworld.com/2017/07...rail-3c-tyres/
    "Traditionally, DHF = Front, and DHR = Rear. Well actually, the ‘F’ originally stood for ‘Freeride’, and the ‘R’ stood for ‘Race’."
    Most including myself use it as front and rear thought.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    https://singletrackworld.com/2017/07...rail-3c-tyres/
    "Traditionally, DHF = Front, and DHR = Rear. Well actually, the ‘F’ originally stood for ‘Freeride’, and the ‘R’ stood for ‘Race’."
    Most including myself use it as front and rear thought.
    "Actually, there are two primary problems with the original DHR: when buying a 2.5 Minion DHF and a 2.5 Minion DHR, the DHR is bigger, which is absurd. And yes, the “F” and “R” designations do stand for Front and Rear. Don’t let some clueless choad on an internet forum tell you differently. Anyone who knows how tires work can obviously see that these were designed as a front and rear, respectively."

Straight from an article by Blistergearreview, one of the best online sources for mountain activities:
    Maxxis Minion DHR2 | Blister Gear Review - Skis, Snowboards, Mountain Bikes, Climbing, Kayaking
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

mtbr member
    I just bought a set of Maxxis, 2.5 DHF DC and 2.5 Aggressor DC both in EXO sidewalls, from Amazon for $104 shipped. DC Maxxis are in the low $50 range while the 3C tires are mid $60 range. Maxxis tires are less costly and more durable than Schwalbes from what I have seen.

I went with dual compound because they work better in the loose conditions I get to ride. If I had more rock on my trail I would have opted for a 3C MaxxTerra DHF. I'll run either Double Down (2-ply sidewall) or a DH casing when I head to the parks this year. I tried Michelin Rock'r and Grip'r combo but they just aren't as good in the grip department leading to vague feelings in the corners and much heavier.

I am impressed with the Aggressor out back where I normally run a DHR II. It doesn't brake as well or dig as deep on the climbs but it still does those jobs well and rolls faster. I am out of shape so far but was able to get get a few super steep lengthy climbs while out on the Aggressor the first time. I am definitely happy to be back on DHF. It is my go to front tire. It is the king of grip for me and that is all I want from a front tire. This tire combo is on the heavy side. Mine weighed 933g for the DHF and 946g for the Aggressor but about a 300g lighter than the Miche's.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Maxxis Minion DHF 29 x 2.5 EXO Tubeless Ready Tire in Tree Fort Bikes 29'' Tires

Maxxis Minion DHR II 29 x 2.3 EXO Tubeless Ready Tire in Tree Fort Bikes 29'' Tires

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...olorCode=black

My biggest issue with Maxxis vs. Bontrager is availablility. I can go into just about any LBS and find a Maxxis tire....whereas I went to several different Trek dealers for a couple different Bonty tires....every shop only had a couple tires total. Let alone the ones I was looking for. Yeah, I could have ordered them online, paid full retail of $75 + overpriced shipping.

I used to work for a Trek dealer....not impressed with their tires.
    52 plus shipping is not under 50 shipped. Bontrager tires team issue are 55. Your story makes no sense. Youll walk into a shop and pay retail 70 for a maxxis but not order a 55 dollar bontrager, oh wait you order 52 dollar maxxis online lol. Youre definitely a trip man. Hopefully you enjoy the tires you ride and have a nice day.

mtbr member
    I’m new to maxxis tires but am very pleased. Coming from continentals on my old bike and tried a couple other brands. On my newest bike (29er) it came with a 2.4 ardent on the front and a 2.35 forekaster on the back. I will say that I have never felt the need for anything else. Getting the bike in the fall and riding through a northeast winter and now a sloppier then ever spring, these tires have been amazing. I won’t even look at other tires when it’s time to replace these. Just thought I’d share my experience with them.

SS Pusher Man
    52 plus shipping is not under 50 shipped. Bontrager tires team issue are 55. Your story makes no sense. Youll walk into a shop and pay retail 70 for a maxxis but not order a 55 dollar bontrager, oh wait you order 52 dollar maxxis online lol. Youre definitely a trip man. Hopefully you enjoy the tires you ride and have a nice day.
    Simple....you are limited to where you can purchase Bonty tires. Often times the Trek website says "out of stock, check with your local dealer".

I don't pay retail.....my point is, if I was on a bike trip and had to get a new tire, I'd have a much easier time finding a DHR locally. But thanks for trying to read between the lines.

Otherwise Jenson will pricematch that $52 and ship for free.

Ebikes are not bicycles

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Simple....you are limited to where you can purchase Bonty tires. Often times the Trek website says "out of stock, check with your local dealer".

I don't pay retail.....my point is, if I was on a bike trip and had to get a new tire, I'd have a much easier time finding a DHR locally. But thanks for trying to read between the lines.

Otherwise Jenson will pricematch that $52 and ship for free.
    175 hours, 1900 miles, 110,000 feet climbed since Jan 1. You? Go ride your bike and stop having frivolous arguments. Have a nice day.