mtbr member
    May 2012

Sapim raised their prices. Now what

Just went to Danscomp to place a big (for me) spoke order. Noticed the Sapim Race practically doubled in price since yesterday. The helpful lady didn't even notice and checked for me. Sapim put out a mandatory minimum on the Race spoke. Super pissed I was too busy to make the order yesterday.

So question is now is .90-$1 worth it for a Race spoke? Can you get DT somewhere cheaper? Lasers are only .30-.60 more. How much harder is it to build with them?

So bummed

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Thinner the easier they are to wind up. If a bigger rider not sure Id go laser IMO. And your talking a fairly noticeable price increase when building a set of wheels. And that much of a price increase to save 40g or less per wheel isnt worth it to me.

I have to say as a clyde I really like the race spokes though. Wasnt sure if I would be a fan of the double butted at my size but gave them a go on my fat bike wheels.

More average weight riders I would gather have no issue with lasers, at least in XC type riding. Not sure beyond that.

As for DT spokes, Ive never found them close to the price of Sapim for any wheel build in any comparable class of spokes. Always more expensive. 0.50 per spoke adds up quick lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Yeah I am 160-180# depending on the season. .50 does add up which is why it sucks race spokes are doubled in price. I liked using them and they were a good trade off of cheap and light

mtbr member
    What is pricing like on similar pillar spokes?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Maybe I am not searching well, but they seem hard to come by and are .74-$2 for a 1415. Not really worth it

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Sapim race has been sold for .90 each to over $1 at many retailers. Just that dans comp did have the best price at 50 cents for a long time. Most other retailer sell it at $1 each now. For 90 cents you still get the best price or You can find a box of 20 @ $17.
    '18 SC Tallboy CC_Wife
    '17 Giant Anthem Adv_Kid
    '17 Ibis Mojo 3
    '17 SC Bronson CC

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Lots of bike companies have to set fixed prices, block mail order, and ect. The bike business needs lbs to be around and these people have to earn enough to make a living. They are already pretty under paid as it is. I'm going to go test ride a bike today that my lbs is selling for 5k and then order it for 3.5k from jenson when i get my bonus is what they are trying to put an end to. Since you can piece together a bike they are doing it at the component level too.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I am probably never going to buy a wheelset from my lbs. All this does is make it even more not worth it to build my own wheels, which sucks cause it is fun.

Are pillar ok to use? How are their nipples? Do they work with standard nipples? Have been reading stuff here and there and sounded like they had weird nipples or they didn't work with Sapim or DT nipples

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yourrealdad View Post
    I am probably never going to buy a wheelset from my lbs. All this does is make it even more not worth it to build my own wheels, which sucks cause it is fun.

Are pillar ok to use? How are their nipples? Do they work with standard nipples? Have been reading stuff here and there and sounded like they had weird nipples or they didn't work with Sapim or DT nipples
    When I break a nipple or bend a derailer hanger I like getting parts the same day instead of a week later. I also like having local trails that are likely built and maintained by local shop owners. Ask them to price the parts for you.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thank you for answering none of my questions. Does this really need to turn into another supports you lbs even though I don't know your lbs thread.

And just to take the bait I had a wheel that needed 3 spokes replaced. Even after I said just put whatever spoke in it took my lbs over three weeks to do it. 3 cx-rays ran me $24 just for parts, so I did have them price it out. $8 a spoke. Sooooooooo........

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Custom length spokes are expensive and take a long time if you dont live near a major cycling destination. When it comes to things like spokes for a wheel build myself both my local LBS tell me to go online. Neither have ability to cut spokes and not worth it to order an entire box of of each length for them to sit for 10 years.

I support my LBS any way I can, but in this area getting parts same day at an LBS means driving a couple hours. Most things have to be ordered.

So dont be hard on guys that have to order online. For some of us its just not possible to do everything through and LBS unless we want wait weeks and in some cases pay many times more than is reasonable. Or in my case LBS just tell me to get spokes online unless I want entire boxes of them.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    ^This

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Problem I am running into now is I can't find anywhere that does the Pillar spokes above 290mm. I need about 130 spokes between 292-299. Anyone know where they can be had?

turtles make me hot
    How about Wheelsmith? I've used their stuff. Had no problems with it.

I regularly buy Sapim Race from a guy on Ebay. 64 spokes, any length for 49.95. Hope his prices don't go up. They haven't yet.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Link?

mtbr member
    I think I've used all the brands. Never had any issue with anything honestly.

Build 10 sets, and 32 bucks a set vs 64 bucks... You saved 320 dollars on spokes alone for the same quality. Ouch! Sucks to have that deal go away.

I guess if you do a set every few seasons it's nothing. WS spokes are totally cool and a hair lighter than DT and sapim. I suppose I'll start using those.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I always use DT swiss spokes, and the are pretty much available everywhere.

They are on Amazon by the box, and any retailer will have them individually.

https://www.amazon.com/DT-Swiss-Comp.../dp/B000BMRRSK

Comp's are by the mm, champions are every 2mm I think. Comps are butted and range from $.70-1.00 for silver and .90-$1.50 for black.

turtles make me hot
    Link?
    http://stores.ebay.com/childhood-dre...p2047675.l2563
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    Link?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/64-Custom-l...19.m1438.l2649
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    TheGearRush ebay store has a bunch of DT Super Comps for cheap. If you email them first they will discount shipping with multiple items.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/thegearrushstore

Also, Peter at XMCarbonSpeed.com sells Sapim CX-Rays for under $2.40 per spokes. I normally just add them to my rim orders.

mtbr member
    I am really sad to hear this... been using Sapim DB from DansComp for years now, I always knew they were a great value. With the price going up, I will likely go back to DT Comp DB. You can generally get those at ChainReaction for a decent price, and I will always support DT because everything I have had from them has been great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I just checked and silver spokes are $0.60/spoke while black spokes are $0.90/spoke.

So if you don't mind silver spokes the deal still is pretty good. If I recall the difference before was 10 cents.

turtles make me hot
    I'll cough up the extra cash for black.
    I like turtles

Barely in control
    I have both and honestly silver feels a teeny weenie bit faster.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
    Lots of bike companies have to set fixed prices, block mail order, and ect. The bike business needs lbs to be around and these people have to earn enough to make a living. They are already pretty under paid as it is. I'm going to go test ride a bike today that my lbs is selling for 5k and then order it for 3.5k from jenson when i get my bonus is what they are trying to put an end to. Since you can piece together a bike they are doing it at the component level too.
    That's cute but if I walked into any shop in my area and asked for Sapim spokes they'd look at me like I asked for heroin. Then they'd offer to cut me some DT champions for $2.50 a piece.
    This had nothing to do with people ordering bikes online. One of Dan's comps competitors complained to sapim about their prices.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    By the way, bikehubstore.com will price match on sapim spokes. He's a good option if you're on the east coast, ships fast.

mtbr member
    Try this guy. I ordered spokes from him a couple times. Good to deal with. Only downside is no custom lengths.
    Sapim Spokes and Nipples
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    The shops are getting hit by major online retailers AND by themselves. I would definitely stay away from any shop that's charging $2.50 for DT champions. Luckily, I have a shop close by that will lace up wheels for roughly $200 which includes labor, DT Comp double butted spokes, and DT brass nipples. That's whether you get the hubs and rims from them or not.

But they also are having an extremely hard time competing with online shops like Backcountry that will buy 1000 RS Pike's at pennies on the dollar to use in their custom build program. Then at the end of the year, sell them as OEM with no retail packaging for well under $500.

damned rocks...
    In Europe I find Sapim Race from 0.45 to 0.60 (silver), and from 0.75 to 1 (black). But as far as I can remember it, it was always like that.

LBS are where they are because of their own fault, no one else. It's like Blockbusters, if you don't change you will be left behind.

Land of the 230+
    This is crushing news.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I am going with NYrr's guy. has been super helpful and responding quickly.

He said I could share his email, so here it is. I would definitely give him an email if you are looking for spokes.

lkspoke@yahoo.com

turtles make me hot
    I am going with NYrr's guy. has been super helpful and responding quickly.

He said I could share his email, so here it is. I would definitely give him an email if you are looking for spokes.

lkspoke@yahoo.com
    He's excellent. He sent me samples of his alloy nipples. Anodized by the same guy that does Lily Precision. Spokes are always perfect.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Just went to Danscomp to place a big (for me) spoke order. Noticed the Sapim Race practically doubled in price since yesterday. The helpful lady didn't even notice and checked for me. Sapim put out a mandatory minimum on the Race spoke. Super pissed I was too busy to make the order yesterday.

So question is now is .90-$1 worth it for a Race spoke? Can you get DT somewhere cheaper? Lasers are only .30-.60 more. How much harder is it to build with them?

So bummed
    Yeah, the dollar has plunged against the Euro as of late. Import Duty and customs processing is all based on the higher exchange rate. By the time it gets to retail, there's a big Net effect. If factory prices go up 25-30%, retail is double, at least.

Sapim spokes are a quality product. If you wheels/spokes last ten years, the mark up now is still worth it. Don't buy the Lasers unless you know exactly what you're doing.

mtbr member
    I was kinda shocked to see that in doing build comparison through an online overseas wheelbuilder (Carbonfan - I know considering this crowd ), they would upcharge me $120 (56 x $2.14 each) to use CX rays vs Pilar aero x-tba.
    Put another way, 9% upcharge for the complete wheelset with Sapims if spec'd identically otherwise.

mtbr member
    This crowd isn't weird about carbonfan. Or lb. Or anyone else.

Cx Ray's have always been overpriced and too expensive. Marking up races is the real kick in the pants!

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Wanted to revisit this thread because HOLY CRAP, the prices went up.

Basic double butted, 66 spokes (I always get a couple spares just in case) and orange nipples, $86 and some change shipped. About $20 more at least than I was used to paying to build a set of wheels. The wheels I was building I got brand new for the pair, Mulefut 50 29s, for $80 to my door.

I about choked when Dans told me that. At first I was going to complain then remembered this thread. Not a huge deal, but when on a strict budget and just went over a little to get the wheel set finished instead of being able to buy better brake rotors than I did, was annoying.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Lets kill many birds with one stone.

Just ordered 4 rims from Carbonfan. I will only be weird about them if they break, but I have heard good things so not too worried.

Went to Dans the other day to look for Cx-rays, couldn't even find them on the site. Maybe I missed them or it was a fluke, but I didn't see them anymore. Used to be $2.80 per black.

I asked the aforementioned super awesome spoke cutter his price. Just go with lkspoke@yahoo.com

Also when I ordered from Dan's I would just get a manilla envelope with spokes. It looked like maybe it was supposed to be stapled to separate them, but it wasn't. had to spend about 30 mins measuring carefully the 1-2mm difference. All the spokes form LK came in their own labeled bags per spoke length.

mtbr member
    Dans would ship spokes in a huge box too, which was annoying. But at 40 cents a piece, you can be as annoying as you want.

Dans used to send razors too. Like gillette mach 4 razors. What that has to do with spokes is beyond me, but it was pretty cool not having to buy face shaving razors for a long time.

Im using BHS for spokes now.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CFoster View Post
    Don't buy the Lasers unless you know exactly what you're doing.
    Amen. They are a massive pain in the ass. They wind up so easily. I built 2 wheels with them and won't ever again.

Rocks belong
    Thanks for posting this. With the 15% off PSPRINGTIME coupon code that is good today, I got 64 black, double butted spokes for $42.49, free shipping.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Thanks for posting this. With the 15% off PSPRINGTIME coupon code that is good today, I got 64 black, double butted spokes for $42.49, free shipping.
    Shitballs! I wish I knew about that. I have to order spokes for three sets of wheels. Discount would have been nice.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Looks like Childhood dreams isnt on Ebay anymore. Who is everyone using now?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    yojimbo's garage on ebay. Still not cheap but I got 64 custom cut DT Swiss comps for $72.32 but used the 20% code from Father's Day so they were a bit better deal. Other than that...I've ordered from bike24 and paid $.66 a spoke I think with a larger order since shipping is like $20 so not worth it unless you're getting more stuff or a lot of spokes.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    Sure? Says he's on vacation until July 7th but doesn't say he's not selling anymore. Maybe took down all his items because he didn't want anyone ordering while he was on vacation.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

turtles make me hot
    He's on vacation. Be back July 7th. He closes the store down so you don't wait too long for spokes. I panicked the first time he did that.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    He's on vacation. Be back July 7th. He closes the store down so you don't wait too long for spokes. I panicked the first time he did that.
    Ah, thanks! I was getting worried.