Roval Wheels: Keep breaking spokes. Why- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Roval Wheels: Keep breaking spokes. Why **Update**

After todayís race two broken spokes. This will be the 6th time in a year one of the wheels has to be fixed. Sometimes front, sometimes back. This is on a 2017 Epic Expert. I had a 2016Epic Pro with similar issues (3x in 6mos) but I didnít keep that bike long.

I only weigh 190 which is well within the limits. I ride in Michigan so a tree root is the biggest hit they see. Whatís going on? Prior to Rovals I had Stans and never had a broken spoke. The stans also had a lower spoke count.

**update**

Broke another spoke during this weekends race. This was my first ride on the wheel since it was repaired from the previous weekends race (two broken spokes). I'm now on 7x in a year....2x this year...I have five rides on my MTB bike. I'm about to lose my shit on these wheels.

This spoke broke at the hub. I actually heard it break. I was coming hot into a switchback and grabbed a bunch of brake. Nothing out of the ordinary but enough to break the spoke.

So I think I'm done with Rovals.
    Last edited by MrEconomics; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:16 PM.

mtbr member

Roval Wheels: Keep breaking spokes. Why

I was told that the 2-Bliss rim strips allow sealant to seep into the spoke bed. Then you get some sort of galvanic reaction between the nipple and the spoke, which creates a weakness and allows for breakage.

IIRC, Stans sealant causes this a little more than other brands. The shop here recommended Orange Seal as a fix.

I havenít personally had this issue on my set but two of my friends have had it happen multiple times on their Rovals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My bikes are faster than me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Where are they breaking? At the hub, at the nipple, nipple itself, mid-spoke?

mtbr member
    Majority have been at hub but not all. The two broke now are one at hub and one at rim.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    If most of the spokes are breaking at the hub, it's likely a poorly tensioned and/or poorly stress relieved wheel. The spokes fatigue prematurely and break either at the head/elbow area or near where the threads start.

Pre-built wheels sometimes have questionable build quality. Not much you can do other than have a good wheel builder go over the wheels when they're new to ensure they're properly tensioned & stress relieved. Once they start snapping spokes, you can either replace them as they snap or have the entire wheel rebuilt by someone who knows what they're doing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEconomics View Post
    After todayís race two broken spokes. This will be the 6th time in a year one of the wheels has to be fixed. Sometimes front, sometimes back. This is on a 2017 Epic Expert. I had a 2016Epic Pro with similar issues (3x in 6mos) but I didnít keep that bike long.

I only weigh 190 which is well within the limits. I ride in Michigan so a tree root is the biggest hit they see. Whatís going on? Prior to Rovals I had Stans and never had a broken spoke. The stans also had a lower spoke count.
    I had similar issues with my 2016 carbon traverse. Are you using the spoke plugs or rim strips? The plugs let sealant seep in and corrode the aluminum nipples. If you are using Stanís sealant the ammonia expedites the corrosion.
    I had my wheels rebuilt with new spokes and nipples and they have been bomb proof since. The shop mechanic gave me a bag full of little corrosion balls that were rolling around inside my hoops.
    I have also switched to a water based sealant from Finish Line. I like it better and it doesnít dry up as fast. http://www.finishlineusa.com/product...ealant/sealant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IPA tester
    Had a couple nipples break on me and it was the Stans. Switched to Orange seal and been perfect so far

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    If most of the spokes are breaking at the hub, it's likely a poorly tensioned and/or poorly stress relieved wheel. The spokes fatigue prematurely and break either at the head/elbow area or near where the threads start.

Pre-built wheels sometimes have questionable build quality.
    +1.
    My name is George. Iím unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I have the same problem with older roval sl.

the specialized rim strip is very bad, you need to clean the inside and change with a classic strip.

or you need to change the alloy nipple for brass nipple.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Being that you had them break at both the hub and the rim I would question
    1. that either the wheel doesn't have proper tension
    2. the spokes are weak or not a large enough diameter
    3. that the spokes are laced properly and not crossed incorrectly or something which would put weird stress on them
    4. if the rim has offset spoke holes I would check that the correct spokes are going to the correct side holes as this would also put weird stress on the spokes

I would suspect one of these before corrosion or rim strip issues just because it is not isolated to the nipple end. I would also rule out nipple material if the nipples are not breaking or stripping.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Correct on factory built issues, with that straight pull spokes on my roval sl's the spokes we're very easy to get slightly twisted when fixing broken spoke. After breaking single spokes on the original build a bunch of times, paid to get the whole wheel rebuilt by a quality builder, same spokes and same nipple, using orange seal and proper rim tape and haven't broke a spoke since.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    165 lbs so fairly light. I ride in Upper Michigan where there are plenty of hits bigger then tree roots :-) Been out west with the bike 3 times. I do hit stuff, but tend to not get much air time.

I've been running the same SLs since 2013. Had to rebuild them last year after breaking my first spoke and had a nipple come apart. But that is after 5 years of running Stans. Every spring I try to get all the dried up little Stans balls out from inside the rim through the valve stem hole. So I know the Stans is getting to the nipples.

I would have to agree that if they are mostly breaking at the hub it is more likely a build issue.

mtbpete
    I saw this happen on a friend of mines Roval mtb wheels. I fixed the first couple for him and then told him to call Specialized because he didn't ride enough for these spokes to be breaking like they did. Specialized sent him a new wheel. I'm guessing something was defective with the hub, or the spokes they used to built the wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    I saw this happen on a friend of mines Roval mtb wheels. I fixed the first couple for him and then told him to call Specialized because he didn't ride enough for these spokes to be breaking like they did. Specialized sent him a new wheel. I'm guessing something was defective with the hub, or the spokes they used to built the wheels.
    My brother has broken spokes. He has a 2014 epic S works. I think it's the durability due to the lightness of the wheel. I've heard this from several people. I hear the Traverse SL's 30 mm ID are bullet proof. My brother is about 155 lbs and rides XC trails.