Roval Traverse SL - Breaking Spokes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Roval Traverse SL - Breaking Spokes

Hi all, running the above wheelset and love them, stiff, strong, light, however, breaking spokes like if they were spagettis.

Specialized response has been great and re-building the wheel for me at no cost with new spokes and nipples since they never seen this before.

Anyone else running this wheelset with a similar issue?

Set up is Butchers Controls (F&R), 28/32 PSI, 80kg rider, fairly aggresive rider. 26" size. 2013 Model.

11 is one louder than 10
    I broke a ton of spokes on my rear 29er trail sl carbons. Specialized warranted the wheelset. That was great but my confidence in the wheelset was gone.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Giant View Post
    I broke a ton of spokes on my rear 29er trail sl carbons. Specialized warranted the wheelset. That was great but my confidence in the wheelset was gone.
    What is your experience with the new wheelset? Is the problem still there?

I do trust my traverse though. Have put them thru the ringer and any alloy rim would be badly damaged & full of dings.

I think the problem is how stiff this rim is therefore putting extra pressure on the spokes on hits?

I never trusted carbon before but since riding my enduro for the last 7 months, my opinion has completely changed.

11 is one louder than 10
    I couldn't tell you. I sold them as soon as I got them.

They were a great wheelset for the money, the warranty was awesome. But, with 4 kids, I don't have time to fart around replacing spokes all the time. My sincere hope is they figured things out as they are a great wheel for the money. That said, more than a few threads out there on broken spokes.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by iguanabartola View Post
    Hi all, running the above wheelset and love them, stiff, strong, light, however, breaking spokes like if they were spagettis.

Specialized response has been great and re-building the wheel for me at no cost with new spokes and nipples since they never seen this before.

Anyone else running this wheelset with a similar issue?

Set up is Butchers Controls (F&R), 28/32 PSI, 80kg rider, fairly aggresive rider. 26" size. 2013 Model.
    I have the same problem with a set of 2012 roval 29er rims. They break on average 1 spoke every 2 rides and always at the nipple. The spokes have been replaced before and the the wheels re-tensioned and the problem persists. I'm at my wits end with these wheels!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Poor build quality = broken spokes

Get some handbuilt wheels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by grego12 View Post
    I have the same problem with a set of 2012 roval 29er rims. They break on average 1 spoke every 2 rides and always at the nipple. The spokes have been replaced before and the the wheels re-tensioned and the problem persists. I'm at my wits end with these wheels!
    I had the wheels rebuilt and so far so good. Just got back from a week of heli biking including some bike park riding and they are good. One spoke on the rear lost a little tension but that's about it.

Hope I don't jinx things with this post!!!