Roval questions? - Page 5- Mtbr.com
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 801 to 1,000 of 2055
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hi RJ

I am interested in the Fattie 29 aluminum.

1. When will they be available for purchase?
    2. I can't seem to find any info about degree of engagement for the DT Swiss 360 hub. Any help?
    2014 Giant Anthem X Advanced 1 29er
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO HT 29er

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Any recommendation on tubeless tape/strips on alu Roval Traverse 29?

The factory brown tape got a hole when changing tires and gorilla tape and stans only last a couple tire swaps before lifting up and not being airtight anymore.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hi Joe, I have a 2012 Stumpjumper Comp 29. I wrecked the front rim and am wondering how much a crash replacement rim for it would cost. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Roval questions?

Does anyone know how much the wheels of a 2015 Enduro Comp 29er weight? Thanks

Enviado desde mi iPad con Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Couple Roval Control carbon wheel questions

1. How do I service the hub? I have heard a wet lube works well.

2. Any know issues with debris getting between hub body and cassette? I have a creak sound seems to be coming from that area.

3. Spoke tension. What do I need to know about these wheels. I have been riding them since middle May, not sure if there is any maint I should do.
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy CC

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post

2. Any know issues with debris getting between hub body and cassette? I have a creak sound seems to be coming from that area.

3. Spoke tension. What do I need to know about these wheels. I have been riding them since middle May, not sure if there is any maint I should do.
    If you check youtube, bunch of videos showing how to service a DT Swiss hub, at least for lubing the ratchet. The ratchet requires no tools, take the wheel off and use your fingers to pop the cassette and driver off as a unit. Replacing the bearings seems to be more of the total overhaul type of repair. I just went with the DT Swiss special grease, around 21 dollars on Amazon. The amount you get is small, but it requires so little grease to service the ratchet, I suspect it will last me a couple of years.

As for creaks, are you using an SRAM 11 speed cassette? They will creak unless lubed just so when installed. Driver body needs to be lubed just right also. I think pinkbike has a video. The other thing to check is thru axle tight and lubed.

Not sure about spoke tension, we will have to wait for Joe to get back online.

mtbr member

Roval questions?

The hub videos are kinda vague. Just search for multiple hub videos. Once you get the free hub off you are solid. I will attach the best hub service video.
    If it ain't 900 fill power it's crap. :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for the reply. No to the 11 speed. I got a creaking sound from that area. I am currently suspecting the maxle or the XT RD. I found out the hard way how easy the hub comes apart. I figure after a few months of riding it would not hurt to service the hub.

mtbr member

Roval questions?

If it ain't 900 fill power it's crap. :thumbsup:

Armature speller
    Sep 2004

Re: Roval questions?

Thanks for the reply. No to the 11 speed. I got a creaking sound from that area. I am currently suspecting the maxle or the XT RD. I found out the hard way how easy the hub comes apart. I figure after a few months of riding it would not hurt to service the hub.
    Check the derailleur hanger for the creaking. A dab of grease on the mating surfaces may fix it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by turps View Post
    Hi Roval Joe.

I have a pair of alloy fatties that came stock on the 2015 Enduro Expert 650B and have also purchased a pair of Fattie SLs as an upgrade. I was told that I could take the 11 Speed freehub body off the alloys and and it would fit on the SLs but it turns it won't fit. Are they running different internal diameters?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Turps- sorry for the delay. Indeed the freehubs are totally different between the alloy wheel hubs and the carbon wheel hubs. You'll have to get the XD driver for DT 350/240 based hubs. I've posted the PN's in this thread a few times, let me know if you can't find it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CreativeEdge View Post
    Joe
    First off, thanks for all the help and info you provide.
    My lbs is sending my rear carbon roval control trail sl (year 2011)
    to Specialized as the carbon is delaminating and cracking along where
    the tire sits. My lbs said that it is covered under warranty and it would be replaced.
    My question is, will specialized replace the rim and relace or will they
    replace the complete wheel?
    Thanks again.....
    Creative Edge- this will be up to the service center. Generally for carbon wheels they'll rebuild your hub into a new rim.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mpower13 View Post
    Hi Roval Joe,

I have a 2014 S-Works Stumpjumper HT World Cup which I like to change into the RS-1 fork and was wondering if Specialized has the proper adapters/end caps to fit this fork? I believe the current front wheel Roval SL spacing is 100 whereas RS-1 requires a 110 spacing hub. Please advise. Thanks.
    mpower13- With the RS1, you HAVE to use a special hub. Because of the way they designed the axle/dropout interface, there is no way to make a hub that goes from RS1 to standard fork and still retain the system stiffness needed for an upside down fork. That being said, we do offer a wheelset that is compatible with RS1:
    Specialized Bicycle Components

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan_d View Post
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for the response, it looks like Specialized has already mentioned them on their site.

"These new wheels are also compatible with our Roval tubeless plug system, an easy and super lightweight solution for tubeless setups. "

Attachment 921827

Thanks Joe,

Bryan
    Bryan- thanks for pointing this out as it is definitely an error. I'll get that fixed ASAP

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ripn View Post
    Hey Joe,
    Pretty interested in the alloy version of the Traverse Fatties. Do you have a real world weight (with rim tape and valves) for the 29er version of the wheels? When will they be available to purchase?
    Thanks!
    ripn- our weighed samples came in at 1770g. Valve stems will add around 7-8g, and a set of rim strips would add 70-75g. I'm not 100% sure on availability, but think it should be next month. I'll get back to you when I know for sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Edcft View Post
    Hi RJ

I am interested in the Fattie 29 aluminum.

1. When will they be available for purchase?
    2. I can't seem to find any info about degree of engagement for the DT Swiss 360 hub. Any help?
    Edcft- I think they'll be available next month, but waiting for confirmation. will confirm later. 360 hub engagement is 15 degrees.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Alias, you can purchase replacement strips at a Specialized dealer if you need to get another one. These seem to work better than tape. To be honest, this is the first report I've seen of someone putting a hole in the tape from changing a tire. Did your tire lever puncture the strip?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by springje View Post
    Hi Joe, I have a 2012 Stumpjumper Comp 29. I wrecked the front rim and am wondering how much a crash replacement rim for it would cost. Thanks!
    Springje- I don't know off the top of my head on alloy replacement rim cost. Best option would be to check with your shop and have them get the price from our service center. If they are having trouble, let me know and I can jump in to help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Roval Joe, could you please pretty please ask Specialized Joe to come back online?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

stygz1- rdb had some great info for you (Thanks rdb!), I'll confirm spoke tension for you tomorrow, just want to check something with our wheel tech first.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbatron View Post
    Roval Joe, could you please pretty please ask Specialized Joe to come back online?
    gabbatron- will do! how long has he been absent? The gentleman who was running that thread is in the process of changing projects, but we can get someone on there ASAP. Thanks for your patience!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hey Roval Joe, he's been away for over a month.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Roval Joe View Post
    Creative Edge- this will be up to the service center. Generally for carbon wheels they'll rebuild your hub into a new rim.
    Joe,
    thanks for the reply, just got the wheels back and they did relace them with new rims. Extremely happy with Specialized's customer service. Top notch !!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hi there, anyone got real life experience with a set of the alloy fattie 29er wheels? Really torn between getting these or some Stans Flow EX's with hope hubs...wanting to purchase before I head overseas next week. Opinions would be greatly appreciated

P.s roval joe - is there any replacement systems / warranty system for the alloy wheels?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    stygz1- rdb had some great info for you (Thanks rdb!), I'll confirm spoke tension for you tomorrow, just want to check something with our wheel tech first.
    stygz1- confirmed that the spoke tension is same as the Fatties posted earlier: 1100n plus or minus 100n

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by badch952 View Post
    Hi there, anyone got real life experience with a set of the alloy fattie 29er wheels? Really torn between getting these or some Stans Flow EX's with hope hubs...wanting to purchase before I head overseas next week. Opinions would be greatly appreciated

P.s roval joe - is there any replacement systems / warranty system for the alloy wheels?

Cheers
    badch952- I'm not sure I follow you. The wheels are covered under manufacturers defect, so for an alloy wheel, let's say something was wrong with the rim like a bad seam weld, or poorly drilled valve hole, etc, yes, this would be replaced at our cost. What in particular were you referring to for a "replacement system"?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thank you! Going to service the hub soon also. I did find my creaking sound though. It was debis between the hub body and the cassette.

mtbr member

Roval questions?

Hey Roval Joe,

I recently purchased a gravel bike that is 11 speed 105 shimano. I have two extra 29er wheels that I would like to convert for dirt use. One is the stock WHEELSET off of a 2013 Specialized Crave Singlespeed and the other is off of a 2013 stumpjumper FSR comp carbon 29er. Both of these Wheelsets are 10 speed. Is there a hub/cassette body available that will work to make these 11-speed Shimano road compatible?

Thank you,
    Curtis

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by trailwerks View Post
    Hey Roval Joe,

I recently purchased a gravel bike that is 11 speed 105 shimano. I have two extra 29er wheels that I would like to convert for dirt use. One is the stock WHEELSET off of a 2013 Specialized Crave Singlespeed and the other is off of a 2013 stumpjumper FSR comp carbon 29er. Both of these Wheelsets are 10 speed. Is there a hub/cassette body available that will work to make these 11-speed Shimano road compatible?

Thank you,
    Curtis

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Hi Curtis- unfortunately, there aren't any freehub bodies available to convert those hubs to 11spd road.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    hI jOEY,

please, im from brazil and i will travel to australia and buy fattie sl 27.5, but im worried if i have some problems with the wheels when i come back home, warranty works here if i brought at australia? im convinced to buy extra spokes and nipples, do you know when wheels and spokes/nipples is available at australia bike shops, and vlas questions, where i can find it at australia (Queensland)? Cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuri Bogner View Post
    hI jOEY,

please, im from brazil and i will travel to australia and buy fattie sl 27.5, but im worried if i have some problems with the wheels when i come back home, warranty works here if i brought at australia? im convinced to buy extra spokes and nipples, do you know when wheels and spokes/nipples is available at australia bike shops, and vlas questions, where i can find it at australia (Queensland)? Cheers
    Hi Yuri,
    wow, that's quite a question! I'm not 100% sure I have enough information to answer you fully here, and let me explain why: 1)Roval wheels are covered no matter where you buy them, as long as you are the original owner. HOWEVER, if Brazil does not bring in those models, then it's likely they won't have spare parts on hand, so you may have to wait for them to order spokes from the USA service center. They should have nipples on hand though I believe. 2)I'm not sure what Australia has in stock, but they are showing these wheels on their website. Here is a link to help you locate a shop:

Sorry I don't have more information for you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Hi Yuri,
    wow, that's quite a question! I'm not 100% sure I have enough information to answer you fully here, and let me explain why: 1)Roval wheels are covered no matter where you buy them, as long as you are the original owner. HOWEVER, if Brazil does not bring in those models, then it's likely they won't have spare parts on hand, so you may have to wait for them to order spokes from the USA service center. They should have nipples on hand though I believe. 2)I'm not sure what Australia has in stock, but they are showing these wheels on their website. Here is a link to help you locate a shop:

Sorry I don't have more information for you.
    After waiting for over 3 weeks while being told spokes for carbon 29er wheels were out of stock, a racing team mate and I were finally able to get several spokes from the warranty department when my LBS was accidentally transferred to them.

Ridiculous not to have spokes for your premiere wheels during July. Just plain unforgivable. After 5 years of staunchly supporting these wheels (we have 5 sets between the two of us) we are both moving on next season.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    no problem thanks for all, only one last question, i saw that fattie carbon wheels use revolution spokes and dt swiss pro lock hexagonal nipples, do you know the sizes of it, im thinking to buy some if i have anything broken.

and sorry my english, i learn reading mtb site,

cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    After waiting for over 3 weeks while being told spokes for carbon 29er wheels were out of stock, a racing team mate and I were finally able to get several spokes from the warranty department when my LBS was accidentally transferred to them.

Ridiculous not to have spokes for your premiere wheels during July. Just plain unforgivable. After 5 years of staunchly supporting these wheels (we have 5 sets between the two of us) we are both moving on next season.
    Kosmo- I'm bummed to hear about your experience. You've got every right to be upset, I'd feel the same way. I know this doesn't help your situation, but could you do me a favor and let me know 1) what wheel model you were looking for spokes for, and 2) confirm which country you're in/shop you were dealing with? I'd like to send this to our service center so they are aware of what's happening. Thanks in advance for your help, and again, sorry you had such a bad experience.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuri Bogner View Post
    no problem thanks for all, only one last question, i saw that fattie carbon wheels use revolution spokes and dt swiss pro lock hexagonal nipples, do you know the sizes of it, im thinking to buy some if i have anything broken.

and sorry my english, i learn reading mtb site,

cheers
    Hey Yuri, no worries on your English- it's far better than my Portuguese! Spoke lengths for the 650b Fattie SL's are:
    - Front non disc side: 259mm
    - Front disc side: 274mm
    - Rear drive side: 280mm
    - Rear disc side: 282mm

all spokes are DT Revolution, and nipples are 14mm length, 14 gauge alloy Pro lock Hex head

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Kosmo- I'm bummed to hear about your experience. You've got every right to be upset, I'd feel the same way. I know this doesn't help your situation, but could you do me a favor and let me know 1) what wheel model you were looking for spokes for, and 2) confirm which country you're in/shop you were dealing with? I'd like to send this to our service center so they are aware of what's happening. Thanks in advance for your help, and again, sorry you had such a bad experience.
    Yes, it was infuriating. We both put a lot of effort into preparing for a very few 100 mile races each year. And another spoke broke in another wheel of my team mate's bike 10 minutes before the start of the Butte 100 (I got him off the line on time on a training wheel, after a feverish cassette/disk swap and brake caliper realignment).

1) Roval Control 29 SL 2012, with spoke lengths of 299 and 302; 2) USA, west coast, really don't want to identify LBS, as they busted their butts on this, and I don't want anything negative blowing back on them.

Thanks Joe, the Roval carbon wheels served us so well, for so long (but rear spokes started breaking in the third season) but we can't ride wheels for which spokes are not available.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hi Joe,

This may be more of a DT question, but I knew you would be more helpful than trying to get in touch with them.

I have a pair of Control Carbon 29er wheels (2014?) which I swapped this week to be 11 speed for CX season (similar to what was done here: Hack: Converting 2014 10 Speed Roval Control Carbon 29er Wheels to 11 Speed CX Disc). I have Shimano Ultegra Di2/R785.

First test I noticed that the cassette wasn't freewheeling perfectly and could cause the chain to bob. A ride or two more and it seemed fine, but racing last night I was getting horrible chain slap. Coming down off of a flyover, it smacked so loudly that one of the Pro riders asked if it was a wheel or a handlebar. Later I hopped a curb and on the landing it bounced so badly I heard spokes and skidded to a stop to make sure I didn't wreck anything - and everything looked fine. I went to the Shimano tent and they played around with it a bit, but really couldn't repeat anything that was happening on course (and neither was I - which is why I went to them).

I never noticed this on my MTB, which makes me wonder if it's just normal, or if the Type II derailleur was masking the issue. It also was not happening with the HED Ardennes wheels that came with the bike.

What I'm wondering:
    Does this sounds like the normal operating parameters of the hub?
    I was very careful to keep the install clean & correct, but could that have done something?
    Is there a way to make the star ratchet freewheel smoother/lessen the friction to help the rear derailleur keep the chain tensioned in the rough stuff?

Thank you very much!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jester6578 View Post
    Hi Joe,

This may be more of a DT question, but I knew you would be more helpful than trying to get in touch with them.

I have a pair of Control Carbon 29er wheels (2014?) which I swapped this week to be 11 speed for CX season (similar to what was done here: Hack: Converting 2014 10 Speed Roval Control Carbon 29er Wheels to 11 Speed CX Disc). I have Shimano Ultegra Di2/R785.

First test I noticed that the cassette wasn't freewheeling perfectly and could cause the chain to bob. A ride or two more and it seemed fine, but racing last night I was getting horrible chain slap. Coming down off of a flyover, it smacked so loudly that one of the Pro riders asked if it was a wheel or a handlebar. Later I hopped a curb and on the landing it bounced so badly I heard spokes and skidded to a stop to make sure I didn't wreck anything - and everything looked fine. I went to the Shimano tent and they played around with it a bit, but really couldn't repeat anything that was happening on course (and neither was I - which is why I went to them).

I never noticed this on my MTB, which makes me wonder if it's just normal, or if the Type II derailleur was masking the issue. It also was not happening with the HED Ardennes wheels that came with the bike.

What I'm wondering:
    Does this sounds like the normal operating parameters of the hub?
    I was very careful to keep the install clean & correct, but could that have done something?
    Is there a way to make the star ratchet freewheel smoother/lessen the friction to help the rear derailleur keep the chain tensioned in the rough stuff?

Thank you very much!
    jester6578- thanks for the thorough explanation. This is definitely not normal operating parameters of the hub. The reason why you are experiencing this problem is because the Roval mtn hubshells do not adhere to Shimano ROAD 11spd dimension requirements. When we designed the hub shells a few years back, we were trying to get the largest amount of space between the flanges to increase stiffness. We knew this would make the hubs non compatible with Shimano 11spd road (to note: these hubs ARE compatible with Shimano 11spd mtn/XTR cassettes), but didn't figure it was an issue since they were mountain wheels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    jester6578- thanks for the thorough explanation. This is definitely not normal operating parameters of the hub. The reason why you are experiencing this problem is because the Roval mtn hubshells do not adhere to Shimano ROAD 11spd dimension requirements. When we designed the hub shells a few years back, we were trying to get the largest amount of space between the flanges to increase stiffness. We knew this would make the hubs non compatible with Shimano 11spd road (to note: these hubs ARE compatible with Shimano 11spd mtn/XTR cassettes), but didn't figure it was an issue since they were mountain wheels.
    jester6587- Sorry, forgot to add that the hack you read about only addresses the clearance to the frame, not clearance of the cassette to the actual hub shell, which is where your cassette is likely occasionally contacting, causing your chain to hang up/slap

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Yes, it was infuriating. We both put a lot of effort into preparing for a very few 100 mile races each year. And another spoke broke in another wheel of my team mate's bike 10 minutes before the start of the Butte 100 (I got him off the line on time on a training wheel, after a feverish cassette/disk swap and brake caliper realignment).

1) Roval Control 29 SL 2012, with spoke lengths of 299 and 302; 2) USA, west coast, really don't want to identify LBS, as they busted their butts on this, and I don't want anything negative blowing back on them.

Thanks Joe, the Roval carbon wheels served us so well, for so long (but rear spokes started breaking in the third season) but we can't ride wheels for which spokes are not available.
    Kosmo- thanks for the information, and respectable of you to not call out the shop. You could always PM me that part if you want, obviously they weren't part of the problem, it just helps me identify the situation with customer service. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, I totally understand. Thanks again for your help.

I like turtles
    Do my 2013 Roval Control 29 wheels (alloy, aftermarket..not OEM) come with the 18 or 36 point star ratchet?
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for the detailed explanation of why it's happening! And it looks like precisely that - the cassette rubbing on the hub body (see below). I'll see if I can get in touch with the guys at Bike Barn to see how they handled it.

Are any of the newer 29" Roval Carbon hub shells compatible with 11spd road cassettes? I got this set as a dual duty XC & CX set - and it worked flawlessly until I upgraded to 11spd (silly me). Would love to find something that works with what I currently have.

Thanks again!

Roval questions?-20141007_110349.jpg
    Roval questions?-20141007_110357.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Replacement rim, Roval Control 29 Carbon Red colorway

Roval Joe, I've been holding off for the regular process to help me but I think I need more help. On my second ride on a 2014 Epic Expert WC Carbon Red a stick ripped a spoke through the front rim. The dealer has offered to supply a grey rim for $200 plus rebuild labor.

I REALLY don't want the grey. I want to retain the color the bike came with, this bike has all kinds of red parts on it on purpose. I see there are one or two 2015 bikes with the wheels in this colorway.

Apparently there are no rims available (it's been 6 weeks). Should I keep waiting? Can Specialized trade me wheels for a fee? I'm stuck here and really don't want the grey.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hi Joe,

I am trying to decide between two Roval 29er wheels. I'm 210-215 and ride mixed terrain in Colorado. I am looking at the Roval control 29er and the new Roval Fatty SL wheels. I will be putting them on both a full suspension and hardtail. I am looking for a wheel that I can do my normal riding (rocky, smooth) as well as some bike packing. Anyone else on this thread I look forward to your responses as well. thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Do my 2013 Roval Control 29 wheels (alloy, aftermarket..not OEM) come with the 18 or 36 point star ratchet?
    TiGeo- your 2013 alloy Controls have 36t ratchets.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for the detailed explanation of why it's happening! And it looks like precisely that - the cassette rubbing on the hub body (see below). I'll see if I can get in touch with the guys at Bike Barn to see how they handled it.

Are any of the newer 29" Roval Carbon hub shells compatible with 11spd road cassettes? I got this set as a dual duty XC & CX set - and it worked flawlessly until I upgraded to 11spd (silly me). Would love to find something that works with what I currently have.

Thanks again!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141007_110349.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	929487
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141007_110357.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	929488
    No worries, sorry I don't have better news for you. Today's wheels are the same hub, so no difference in dimension there. I'm curious, would you consider using XX1 1x11 for your cross bike? that would allow your wheels to work for both mtn/cross. Just a suggestion, please don't hate me if this is totally inappropriate, as I'm not a cross guy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by perfectbike View Post
    Roval Joe, I've been holding off for the regular process to help me but I think I need more help. On my second ride on a 2014 Epic Expert WC Carbon Red a stick ripped a spoke through the front rim. The dealer has offered to supply a grey rim for $200 plus rebuild labor.

I REALLY don't want the grey. I want to retain the color the bike came with, this bike has all kinds of red parts on it on purpose. I see there are one or two 2015 bikes with the wheels in this colorway.

Apparently there are no rims available (it's been 6 weeks). Should I keep waiting? Can Specialized trade me wheels for a fee? I'm stuck here and really don't want the grey.
    Perfectbike- let me contact customer service direct and see what can be done. I'll get back to you shortly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sacstatemtbr View Post
    Hi Joe,

I am trying to decide between two Roval 29er wheels. I'm 210-215 and ride mixed terrain in Colorado. I am looking at the Roval control 29er and the new Roval Fatty SL wheels. I will be putting them on both a full suspension and hardtail. I am looking for a wheel that I can do my normal riding (rocky, smooth) as well as some bike packing. Anyone else on this thread I look forward to your responses as well. thanks
    sacstatemtbr- I'd tend to recommend the Fatties because of the extra volume, but I can't be 100% sure the extra width will be compatible with your hardtail? this will grow the tire casing slightly (probably a couple millimeters), so depending on what tires you're using, it might be close on the HT frame? Might be worth stopping by a dealer with your HT to check out. If that doesn't work fit wise, the Control carbons are still plenty durable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I am riding 2014 Roval Traverse SL Carbon 29er rims. Love the wheels with one exception - I'm breaking spokes regularly. It's always in the rear at the nipple. I had the wheel re-laced with non-tapered spokes - same problem. After 4 or five rides - busted spoke. I weigh about 205 with pack and have an S-Works 29 enduro. I'm wondering if others are having the same issue? I'm also wondering if the new Specialized "fatties" are any stronger?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Phinious View Post
    I am riding 2014 Roval Traverse SL Carbon 29er rims. Love the wheels with one exception - I'm breaking spokes regularly. It's always in the rear at the nipple. I had the wheel re-laced with non-tapered spokes - same problem. After 4 or five rides - busted spoke. I weigh about 205 with pack and have an S-Works 29 enduro. I'm wondering if others are having the same issue? I'm also wondering if the new Specialized "fatties" are any stronger?
    I have the exact same bike and wheels, but I do not have a problem with breaking spokes. But full disclosure.... I have only broken one spoke in the last 8 years of riding, that was not caused by a stick, branch or rock.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Phinious View Post
    Phinious- I have heard of a few cases here and there where riders had a similar problem. We tried something with the spoke lacing that seems to solve this, and since you are breaking yours so fast, I'd like to try it on your wheel. Please PM me your contact info and we can get you sorted.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    As I imagined RJ, Specialized and my dealer are coming through to help. No color-matched product available but we are working it out. Just wanted to say thank you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by perfectbike View Post
    As I imagined RJ, Specialized and my dealer are coming through to help. No color-matched product available but we are working it out. Just wanted to say thank you.
    Thanks for that perfectbike, glad you are getting sorted!

Workin for the weekend!
    So much spoke failure have these wheels off my list, I'm amazed at how something so simple has happened so frequently to Spec. I'll guess it's a galvanic corrosion issue, hopefully there is a good explanation here.

What's the real story here Joe?
    Todd :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    So much spoke failure have these wheels off my list, I'm amazed at how something so simple has happened so frequently to Spec. I'll guess it's a galvanic corrosion issue, hopefully there is a good explanation here.

What's the real story here Joe?
    Hey Todd- I guess that depends on what you are actually referring to? spokes breaking has nothing at all to do with galvanic nipple corrosion. That would be considered nipples breaking. Both of these problems have been described on this thread, as well as threads for other brands of wheels. Spokes can break for many reasons including cuts in the spokes from rocks/chains/sticks, or they can fatigue over time due to improper alignment (hole angles drilled wrong in hubs or rims which puts uneven load on spoke), some spokes are built with metals that corrode (rust) and break prematurely, and some wheels are built to be race only and don't withstand long term use, which leads to premature spoke breaking also. There are probably other reasons that I'm not listing here also. If you have a specific question, I try to answer as best I can, just let me know.

mtbr member
    Hey Roval Joe,

I have a 2013 Stumpy HT (alloy comp model) with the stock royal control wheel set. I'm having tons of issues with the rear wheel, which I suspect to be mostly build quality. I'm 180 lbs, hardcore XC rider.

Ive suffered from 8 broken spoke nipples, all on the rear wheel. Six non drive and two drive side. They all break the same way: the head of the nipple snaps clean off! I checked the spoke tension when I bought it, it was relatively even, and in the right range for drive/non-drive sides. But for whatever reason they keep on snapping, almost every other ride I've done in the last two weeks, I've broken a nipple.(One was while I was riding smooth pavement!) I've also noticed that after 9 months of ownership, almost every single spoke nipple is seized up. I can't even true the wheel without drenching it in something like tri-flow beforehand. Any ideas?

I feel like it's a case of low quality alloy spoke nipples and no form of spoke preparation/lubricant used....
    2013 Rockhopper 29- The hot rod fun bike :thumbsup:
    2013 Stumpy HT Comp 29- The racin' machine :cool:

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenzobear View Post
    Hey Roval Joe,

I have a 2013 Stumpy HT (alloy comp model) with the stock royal control wheel set. I'm having tons of issues with the rear wheel, which I suspect to be mostly build quality. I'm 180 lbs, hardcore XC rider.

Ive suffered from 8 broken spoke nipples, all on the rear wheel. Six non drive and two drive side. They all break the same way: the head of the nipple snaps clean off! I checked the spoke tension when I bought it, it was relatively even, and in the right range for drive/non-drive sides. But for whatever reason they keep on snapping, almost every other ride I've done in the last two weeks, I've broken a nipple.(One was while I was riding smooth pavement!) I've also noticed that after 9 months of ownership, almost every single spoke nipple is seized up. I can't even true the wheel without drenching it in something like tri-flow beforehand. Any ideas?

I feel like it's a case of low quality alloy spoke nipples and no form of spoke preparation/lubricant used....
    I had the same issue with my Roval wheels. I have now switched to a pair of crankbros. In fact, i have changed out my other bikes roval wheels as well. Broken spokes and not staying true.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Please could you let me know the exact ROVAL CONTROL TRAIL SL 26" carbon rim's ERD?? and should I use some nipple washers or don't need when I build up wheelset with that rims?
    Thanks a lot!!
    Last edited by sccott; 10-16-2014 at 07:20 AM.

Girani2486

Roval questions?

Last edited by Girani2486; 02-15-2016 at 01:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hey Roval Joe,

Cenzobear- just to be clear, the set of wheels you have are not a Roval handbuilt wheelset. You have the J-bend hubs laced into a Roval alloy rim. That being said, the problems you're having should not be normal. Can you tell me approximately how many hours or miles you have on them? Also, have you spoken to your dealer about the problems you're having?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwaves_us View Post
    I had the same issue with my Roval wheels. I have now switched to a pair of crankbros. In fact, i have changed out my other bikes roval wheels as well. Broken spokes and not staying true.
    bigwaves- Sorry for the bad experience, if you don't mind helping us out, could you let me know a little more about your wheels:
    - model/year
    - both front/rear wheels breaking spokes
    - was it actual spokes that were breaking, or were nipples breaking, or both?
    - how long you rode the wheels before having the first problem?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrik83 View Post
    Stupid question, I know.. But is there a way to order Roval Traverse hubs online?
    My Concept Store isn't kidding when he thinks I will pay more for a set of hubs to a Stumpy EVO then a complete set of chinese carbon wheels with Hope Evo. I would like to keep 142+ when building an extra set of wheels but $800 for a set of hubs is not OK.
    Sorry Henrick83, the hubs are not sold separately.

mtbr member

Roval questions?

Roval Joe,

I've got about 650 miles on them, bought the bike in November so lot even a year old yet. I did talk to the dealer, they said to see if it keeps happening. Well, it is now... Unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 Rockhopper 29- The hot rod fun bike :thumbsup:
    2013 Stumpy HT Comp 29- The racin' machine :cool:

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Roval Joe,

I've got about 650 miles on them, bought the bike in November so lot even a year old yet. I did talk to the dealer, they said to see if it keeps happening. Well, it is now... Unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cenzobear- please take the wheel back to the shop and have him contact our customer service, this should be taken care of. If you or the shop runs into problems doing this, please PM me the shop info so I can contact customer service directly and help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Joe,
    Would you happen to know the ratchet configuration on the new Control SL rear wheels?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by holeshot876 View Post
    Joe,
    Would you happen to know the ratchet configuration on the new Control SL rear wheels?

Thanks
    yup, it's a DT star ratchet, 36t.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Is there internationally shipped Front Thru 15mm Kit (S125900006)? Recently it was available on hibike.de, but can't find anymore.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by leugene View Post
    Is there internationally shipped Front Thru 15mm Kit (S125900006)? Recently it was available on hibike.de, but can't find anymore.
    leugene- we have these in stock in the USA service center, and they are likely available in the Central Europe service center also. Have you checked thru a Specialized dealer? We don't have something set up where you can order through the internet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Joe,
    Do they make conversion to 54 like the fattie sl?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Joe,
    If you can find a 54t ratchet set, it will fit right in your hub, but DT does not make these available aftermarket (at least right now). Maybe they'll offer it in the future?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hi Roval Joe.
    I have a bunch of Specialized bikes, almost all of the with Roval wheels.
    I have noticed that some of the 2015 models ST comp,compcarbon,elite got a new rim on their Roval Control 29 alloy wheels.

On the specialized web site ther claimed weight are 1550g,
    where as the previous model were claimed 1680g.

When i weighed my 2013 roval control 29 alloy wheels they came in around 2050g(F15,R12x142), and the roval control 29 trail alloy around 2150g.

So my question is what is the REAL weight of the new Roval Control 29 alloy?
    I have a hard time believing the claimed 1550g, also given that the Carbon model are 1580g, (got them and the claimed weight are correct). They got the same spokes, same spoke count, same hubs.

If the new alloy wheel is lighter, why would anyone buy a specialized epic expert over an epic elite when they are basically the same bike with different wheels and huge price difference.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    bigwaves- Sorry for the bad experience, if you don't mind helping us out, could you let me know a little more about your wheels:
    - model/year
    - both front/rear wheels breaking spokes
    - was it actual spokes that were breaking, or were nipples breaking, or both?
    - how long you rode the wheels before having the first problem?

Thanks.
    My 2014 Roval Control 29 Carbon spokes shredded after 3-4 months. First time I've ever broke spokes and I've been mountain biking since 1995. To be fare a stick pushed my rear detail into the spokes, but they shouldn't have gone that quick. Part of the issue may be gauge of spoke being, but without question spoke tension is at issue. When taken to the shop to fix, the remaining spokes were gauged WAAAYYYY under where they were supposed to be. The first shop I bought them from said this was normal and the wheel was just seating in; but I only weigh 150 lbs and these things were flexy.

Workin for the weekend!
    Joe,
    Trek sells the individual ratchets to upgrade the hub...

Bontrager x DT Swiss Rapid Drive 54-Tooth Star Ratchet Spooling Up
    Todd :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakanmann View Post
    Hi Roval Joe.
    I have a bunch of Specialized bikes, almost all of the with Roval wheels.
    I have noticed that some of the 2015 models ST comp,compcarbon,elite got a new rim on their Roval Control 29 alloy wheels.

On the specialized web site ther claimed weight are 1550g,
    where as the previous model were claimed 1680g.

When i weighed my 2013 roval control 29 alloy wheels they came in around 2050g(F15,R12x142), and the roval control 29 trail alloy around 2150g.

So my question is what is the REAL weight of the new Roval Control 29 alloy?
    I have a hard time believing the claimed 1550g, also given that the Carbon model are 1580g, (got them and the claimed weight are correct). They got the same spokes, same spoke count, same hubs.

If the new alloy wheel is lighter, why would anyone buy a specialized epic expert over an epic elite when they are basically the same bike with different wheels and huge price difference.
    Krakanmann- this is not a case of anyone trying to pull your leg on wheel weights. It's more a misunderstanding of what a Control alloy wheelset is. So the wheels you are weighing from Comp bike models are NOT Roval wheelsets. These are simply wheels that use a Roval rim, laced into a completely different hub set and different spokes than our handbuilt Roval wheelsets. If you read some past posts from this thread, it's a common mistake that people make, and I've explained it many times before. HOWEVER- no need to take my word for it, since I am pretty partial to Roval product. Feel free to visit your local dealer and weigh some when they come in (our wharehouse just received the first shipment of the new Control alloy wheels this week). Please note that when you do take the time to weigh them, we advertise weight without the rim strip since there are options for customers in the area of rim strips. Weights are also without valve stems.

your question about bike spec- I'll leave bike spec questions to the Specialized forum, but I believe what you are really asking is why would anyone buy a Control Carbon wheel over a Control alloy, since the weights are so close yet the price is so different, right? if so, the reason is that weight is not the only factor in what makes a wheel good. the carbon wheelset comes with a quicker engagement hub, and because that carbon rim is WAY stiffer than the alloy rim, the wheelset rides quite differently than an alloy wheel. The carbon rims will also withstand ding damage better than the alloys.

If you are curious about how the carbon wheels ride, I encourage you to try some out from your local dealer. many of our dealers have wheel test programs where you cold try them out on your bike. No better way to understand, and why listen to me, when you can see for yourself?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mattb View Post
    My 2014 Roval Control 29 Carbon spokes shredded after 3-4 months. First time I've ever broke spokes and I've been mountain biking since 1995. To be fare a stick pushed my rear detail into the spokes, but they shouldn't have gone that quick. Part of the issue may be gauge of spoke being, but without question spoke tension is at issue. When taken to the shop to fix, the remaining spokes were gauged WAAAYYYY under where they were supposed to be. The first shop I bought them from said this was normal and the wheel was just seating in; but I only weigh 150 lbs and these things were flexy.
    mattb- indeed the wheels should not have lost that much tension- you are indeed way too light for having this kind of problem. I think you said you got rid of them, but if I'm wrong and you still have them, PM me your contact info and let's get you sorted. I'd like you to get a better experience.

mtbr member

2012 Roval Contro SL - 10mm DT thru axle end caps?

Hi Joe,

Just got a new frameset , and am trying to convert my retail version 2012 Roval Control SL (135mm) from 142x12 to 135x10mm thru axle. ( kind of a step back i know )

I thought I read these take the standard DT caps, but when I put a set on my rear hub, the freehub side DT cap seem to bottom out on the axle before it actually makes contact with the freehub outer bearing to push it all the way down.

Seems like about 2mm which also pushes the whole wheel over in the bike frame so its offset more to the disc brake /non-drive side.

Are these not compatible? Am I stuck with the 9mm Specialized OEM caps because the Roval axle is somehow a different overall length (longer) than the DT 240s Hub?

Below are some pics: first one is with the cap seated in place:
    You can see the difference of how much the freehub sits up by comparing it to the second picture. Plus it won't engage properly : third pic is the DT end cap itself.

Thanks for any help!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Smile

Krakanmann- this is not a case of anyone trying to pull your leg on wheel weights. It's more a misunderstanding of what a Control alloy wheelset is. So the wheels you are weighing from Comp bike models are NOT Roval wheelsets. These are simply wheels that use a Roval rim, laced into a completely different hub set and different spokes than our handbuilt Roval wheelsets. If you read some past posts from this thread, it's a common mistake that people make, and I've explained it many times before. HOWEVER- no need to take my word for it, since I am pretty partial to Roval product. Feel free to visit your local dealer and weigh some when they come in (our wharehouse just received the first shipment of the new Control alloy wheels this week). Please note that when you do take the time to weigh them, we advertise weight without the rim strip since there are options for customers in the area of rim strips. Weights are also without valve stems.

your question about bike spec- I'll leave bike spec questions to the Specialized forum, but I believe what you are really asking is why would anyone buy a Control Carbon wheel over a Control alloy, since the weights are so close yet the price is so different, right? if so, the reason is that weight is not the only factor in what makes a wheel good. the carbon wheelset comes with a quicker engagement hub, and because that carbon rim is WAY stiffer than the alloy rim, the wheelset rides quite differently than an alloy wheel. The carbon rims will also withstand ding damage better than the alloys.

If you are curious about how the carbon wheels ride, I encourage you to try some out from your local dealer. many of our dealers have wheel test programs where you cold try them out on your bike. No better way to understand, and why listen to me, when you can see for yourself?
    Hi Again.

First of all, thank you!
    This was very useful information to me. I see your point and I now get why I was so confused about the different wheels

Do not mistake, I was not angry but only confused and curious, which is not so wierd given that there are not much information out there about the differences you just explained. Not even my local Specy dealer could explain this to me.

I got a pair of Control Carbon on mye Epic Expert WC 2014, they are great btw I have previously ridden the American classic race 29 alloy wheelset which is lighter, and then I experienced first hand how light weight at some point affects stiffness and durability, they sucked

Erik!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by crconsulting View Post
    Hi Joe,

Just got a new frameset , and am trying to convert my retail version 2012 Roval Control SL (135mm) from 142x12 to 135x10mm thru axle. ( kind of a step back i know )

I thought I read these take the standard DT caps, but when I put a set on my rear hub, the freehub side DT cap seem to bottom out on the axle before it actually makes contact with the freehub outer bearing to push it all the way down.

Seems like about 2mm which also pushes the whole wheel over in the bike frame so its offset more to the disc brake /non-drive side.

Are these not compatible? Am I stuck with the 9mm Specialized OEM caps because the Roval axle is somehow a different overall length (longer) than the DT 240s Hub?

Below are some pics: first one is with the cap seated in place:
    You can see the difference of how much the freehub sits up by comparing it to the second picture. Plus it won't engage properly : third pic is the DT end cap itself.

Thanks for any help!
    crconsulting- thanks for including the photos, this always helps to understand. That being said, I'm scratching my head here. Maybe I'm seeing it wrong, but in the 3rd photo it "appears" that the end cap still has a gap between the end of the axle. But you are saying that from the position shown here, you could slide the FH body further down, but the end cap itself will not go further?

do you have the DT part number for the end caps you ordered? I'd like to double check which end caps you got. These should be totally compatible, unless by chance you have a 142+ hub. Just to check, your hub shell does say 135mm on the graphic, right?

mtbr member
    crconsulting- thanks for including the photos, this always helps to understand. That being said, I'm scratching my head here. Maybe I'm seeing it wrong, but in the 3rd photo it "appears" that the end cap still has a gap between the end of the axle. But you are saying that from the position shown here, you could slide the FH body further down, but the end cap itself will not go further?

do you have the DT part number for the end caps you ordered? I'd like to double check which end caps you got. These should be totally compatible, unless by chance you have a 142+ hub. Just to check, your hub shell does say 135mm on the graphic, right?

Thanks for the quick response man!

I'm scratching my head here. Maybe I'm seeing it wrong, but in the 3rd photo it "appears" that the end cap still has a gap between the end of the axle.
    No its all the way on the axle. There's a step and the axle is bottomed on that.
    Heres a better shot of the cap itself. this is from the back. You can see where the axle bottoms on that 3rd smallest I.D. "shelf"

But you are saying that from the position shown here, you could slide the FH body further down, but the end cap itself will not go further?
    Exactly, Id say I can push the freehub down about 3-4mm…

do you have the DT part number for the end caps you ordered?
    Here it is:

Mfg#:HWGXXX0001803S
    UPC:840121068851
    EAN:7613052255866

unless by chance you have a 142+ hub. Just to check, your hub shell does say 135mm on the graphic, right?
    No the hub shell itself has the 135mm sticker.
    Oddly enough the 142 end caps are labeled 142+ though. But I thought all the 142-142+ end caps are the same.

Plus wouldn't that make the axle shorter over all length wise anyways??

(edit)
    unless by chance you have a 142+ hub.
    Just a thought…
    is it possible I somehow got a 142+ axle in a 135 hub shell??
    Do you have the overall all length of the 142+ axles so I can rule that out?

I just measured mine and its 129.92mm or 5.115" end to end OAL.

Thanks for your help!!
    Last edited by crconsulting; 10-16-2014 at 12:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakanmann View Post
    Hi Again.

First of all, thank you!
    This was very useful information to me. I see your point and I now get why I was so confused about the different wheels

Do not mistake, I was not angry but only confused and curious, which is not so wierd given that there are not much information out there about the differences you just explained. Not even my local Specy dealer could explain this to me.

I got a pair of Control Carbon on mye Epic Expert WC 2014, they are great btw I have previously ridden the American classic race 29 alloy wheelset which is lighter, and then I experienced first hand how light weight at some point affects stiffness and durability, they sucked

Erik!
    Hey Erik- stoked I was able to help. To your point, there is so much to know about product these days, it just gets super confusing, and that's why we started the thread here. I guess I didn't need to encourage you to go test ride, you already understand. Nice!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the quick response man!

No its all the way on the axle. There's a step and the axle is bottomed on that.
    Heres a better shot of the cap itself. this is from the back. You can see where the axle bottoms on that 3rd smallest I.D. "shelf"

Exactly, Id say I can push the freehub down about 3-4mm…

Here it is:

Mfg#:HWGXXX0001803S
    UPC:840121068851
    EAN:7613052255866

No the hub shell itself has the 135mm sticker.
    Oddly enough the 142 end caps are labeled 142+ though. But I thought all the 142-142+ end caps are the same.

Plus wouldn't that make the axle shorter over all length wise anyways??

(edit)

Just a thought…
    is it possible I somehow got a 142+ axle in a 135 hub shell??
    Do you have the overall all length of the 142+ axles so I can rule that out?

I just measured mine and its 129.92mm or 5.115" end to end OAL.

Thanks for your help!!

Hmm, ok, I think the axle length and the fact that you have a 142+ end cap are raising some flags here. 142 and 142+ are different end caps. I also measured the axle on both a 135mm hub and a 142+ hub, and neither axle comes close to what you have. 135mm axle is approximately 115mm and 142+ axle is approximately 117mm. Did you by chance buy these wheels used?

mtbr member
    Hmm, ok, I think the axle length and the fact that you have a 142+ end cap are raising some flags here. 142 and 142+ are different end caps. I also measured the axle on both a 135mm hub and a 142+ hub, and neither axle comes close to what you have. 135mm axle is approximately 115mm and 142+ axle is approximately 117mm. Did you by chance buy these wheels used?

No, I've had them since new. Admittedly, that is bizarre though .

The free hub was changed out to 36T engagement but I can't imagine the axle was changed. But they were/fit a 142 x 12 rear spaced frame just fine.

Let me double check that measurement on the axle and get back to you tomorrow.
    It would seem that 129mm is way out of line compared to what you came up with. The free hub would stick up much higher!! (That's a difference of 12mm)

I was in a hurry when I measured it….

thanks!

mtbr member
    135mm axle is approximately 115mm and 142+ axle is approximately 117mm
    Thanks for those measurements! That helped a lot!!!

Let me double check that measurement on the axle and get back to you tomorrow
    Got a chance to re-measure, took the freehub completely off as I think it may not have been seated all the way down, plus I measured from the other side with the freehub side up and the non drive side against a flat surface. Looks like its the 117mm axle...

On another note, I also took the original 9mm end caps and they seat much better than the 10mm ones. I'm thinking at this point I got a slightly out of tolerance end caps coupled with that longer axle creating some tolerance stacking. (I'm sending them back for an exchange )

Not sure how I ended up with the 142plus axles on there, I'm thinking something go lost in translation with the shop when I originally picked these up and requested 142's.
    But thats water under the bridge at this point, at least now I know what direction I need to go. They did fit the old frame fine though so I never noticed the markings on the cap.

Will it take the standard DT 115mm axle or are they proprietary Specialized? if so do you happen to have a part number?

Once again, thank you for your guidance!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for those measurements! That helped a lot!!!

Got a chance to re-measure, took the freehub completely off as I think it may not have been seated all the way down, plus I measured from the other side with the freehub side up and the non drive side against a flat surface. Looks like its the 117mm axle...

On another note, I also took the original 9mm end caps and they seat much better than the 10mm ones. I'm thinking at this point I got a slightly out of tolerance end caps coupled with that longer axle creating some tolerance stacking. (I'm sending them back for an exchange )

Not sure how I ended up with the 142plus axles on there, I'm thinking something go lost in translation with the shop when I originally picked these up and requested 142's.
    But thats water under the bridge at this point, at least now I know what direction I need to go. They did fit the old frame fine though so I never noticed the markings on the cap.

Will it take the standard DT 115mm axle or are they proprietary Specialized? if so do you happen to have a part number?

Once again, thank you for your guidance!
    No worries- yeah, seems strange that you'd have that axle in there. Since you have a 135mm hub, the 115 axle should fit fine, nothing proprietary for the 135mm hub internals.

mtbr member
    Roval Joe,
    I'm considering a set of Traverse Fatties (alloy) and I am confused as to the part from DT that you can use to upgrade the engagement to match the SL. Can you advise?
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    Roval Joe,
    I'm considering a set of Traverse Fatties (alloy) and I am confused as to the part from DT that you can use to upgrade the engagement to match the SL. Can you advise?
    Chuch- the alloy wheels come with the DT 360 internals, which do not have higher engagement upgrade.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Roval Control carbon upgraded to DT Swiss 54t rachet sound. - YouTube

Roval Control Carbon 29 sound with Dt Swiss 54t star ratchet . I think has a higher buzz sound like I9 or CK hubs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Roval Joe, do you know when the 29 Fattie with 142+ hubs will be available? My shop keeps telling me two weeks out, two weeks out, for the past two months. Do you have a better idea of when they will be shipped out?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by taylor.roberts View Post
    Roval Joe, do you know when the 29 Fattie with 142+ hubs will be available? My shop keeps telling me two weeks out, two weeks out, for the past two months. Do you have a better idea of when they will be shipped out?
    taylor.Roberts- Short answer is, not exactly. Long answer is, we had a shipment come in and standing orders from shops were filled last week with that order. I'm not sure if your shop had any on order, or if theirs got filled, but it's worth checking with them again if you haven't in a week or so. Our next shipment will be in and live the first week of November, but I don't have information on how many of these are sold thru dealers already. Sorry I don't have better info, but we have many more on order, as the demand has been higher than expected. I apologize for the wait!

Ridin bikes is fun
    I just found this thread, I will be following it. I just got my ROVAL TRAVERSE SL FATTIE 29 142+ on Monday. They are on my 2014 Camber Carbon Expert EVO. I've had 2 rides so far. They're Everything I was hoping for and then some. First, on my scale I saved almost 300 grams for the set over the OME alloy wheels. Thats better than I expected, so happy, happy, joy, joy. I mounted a Continental X King 2.2 on the rear, and the Butcher 2.3 on the front. I'm running 22psi in the rear, and 20psi in the front. I used the plugs that came with the set to set them up tubeless. By the way, these things are FAT!!!!
    With the lower pressure and the wider foot print the traction is as you would expect….awesome, as well as the faster pick up and turn over. I'm also loving the higher engagement of the new ratchet system, and the high pitch buss when coasting is very cool. This is my first set of carbon wheels so I can't compare them to any others, but I really like what I'm seeing so far.
    Before I bought them I was doing my due diligence and read something about how these wheels drift. It was one of those paragraphs that (at least for me) kind of bounced around in my head and I thought "what the heck does that mean". I think I get it now. When riding other wheels and pushing through a sweeping turn on a loose surface i've always been on the look out for the point when you feel the rear wheel slip or drift. That slip is shortly followed by a loss of control or a break in traction where you grab some break and hopefully recover. Now I'm new the this phenomena, but it seems that the rear wheel will drift and yet not slip out of control nearly as quickly allowing for much higher speeds and confidence inspiring turning. I'm looking forward to learning how to exploit this characteristic further.
    Here they are in all their glory.
    Roval questions?-img_0881.jpg
    Roval questions?-img_0880_zps3c384365.jpg
    Last edited by surfndav; 10-23-2014 at 11:49 AM.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Roval Joe,
    I'm getting a new 2015 Specialized Stumpjumper with Roval Control SL 29 wheels. It comes with a 142+ XD rear hub. I have two questions regarding converting this to 142+ 10 speed. First, will a regular 10 speed DT Swiss freebody work on this hub? Also, what is the part number for the 142+ drive side endcap (my understanding is that it is 2mm shorter than the standard 142 DT 10 speed endcap)?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Joe,

Couple of questions. I have a 2015 camber comp evo. Online it says the wheels are roval fattie. Are they different than the traverse fattie alloy wheel? Or are they the same?

Next question. Does the rear hub have dt Swiss internals? Can I use a 36 tooth star upgrade? If not are there other quick engaging options for these wheels?

And finally. I've read conflicting statement on whether the new rival plug system will work on my alloy fatty wheels. Can you confirm they will work on my wheel?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by schworm View Post
    Roval Joe,
    I'm getting a new 2015 Specialized Stumpjumper with Roval Control SL 29 wheels. It comes with a 142+ XD rear hub. I have two questions regarding converting this to 142+ 10 speed. First, will a regular 10 speed DT Swiss freebody work on this hub? Also, what is the part number for the 142+ drive side endcap (my understanding is that it is 2mm shorter than the standard 142 DT 10 speed endcap)?
    Thanks!
    schworm- yeah, the standard DT 10spd freehub body works fine. Part number for the 142+ end cap is: S115900022. You are correct, there is a 2mm difference.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thank you Roval Joe!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Roval Joe,

I'm looking at either the Roval Control 29 Carbon or the Roval Control SL 29 to use for tubeless CX racing using the Specialized 2bliss Tracer 700x33 tires. I know the weights of each wheel-set with durability not being an issue the Roval Control SL 29 would be the way to go. But I'm wondering what the durability of that wheel-set would be for CX racing. The smaller tires don't blunt the forces as well as larger, higher volume MTB tires. Do you think the Roval Control SL 29 wheel-set would be durable enough for CX racing on skinny tires?

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Fewer rocks on a CX course.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonerider View Post
    Roval Joe,

I'm looking at either the Roval Control 29 Carbon or the Roval Control SL 29 to use for tubeless CX racing using the Specialized 2bliss Tracer 700x33 tires. I know the weights of each wheel-set with durability not being an issue the Roval Control SL 29 would be the way to go. But I'm wondering what the durability of that wheel-set would be for CX racing. The smaller tires don't blunt the forces as well as larger, higher volume MTB tires. Do you think the Roval Control SL 29 wheel-set would be durable enough for CX racing on skinny tires?
    Stonerider- the rims on Control SL will be fine for racing CX, they are coming on some of our Crux models even. I would recommend getting these wheels for your CX bike only if you are not using SRAM or Shimano ROAD 11spd. These hubs would work with Shimano 11spd MTN (with included freehub body) and SRAM 11spd MTN (w/purchase of XD driver freehub body).

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonerider View Post
    Roval Joe,

Mine worked for about 1000 miles and then had major issues with bearings, broken spokes and staying true. Now riding another brand and much better results. If you are close to CT - you can try them out.

mtbr member
    Roval Joe - I am looking to upgrade the wheelset on my new Santa Cruz Nomad, and I'm considering the new Traverse SL Fatties 605b (along with the Ibis 741s) but I am concerned about durability with the low spoke count. I weight just under 200lbs and ride aggressively. I know that there is still a limited sample size, but can you share any background on durability and failure rates for the fattie wheelset?
    "Less yappin' more braapin" - IFHT

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have writed in other post, but Why could be the reason of chaning bearings of a Roval Control 29 and the freehub gets fixed when the wheel is mounted in the bike ? The parts are correctly mounted and the bearings are ok. My wheel had a bit play but now It hasn't play but when I mount the wheel in the bike the freehub gets fixed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Roval questions?

Another fattie alloy question. Is the rear hub swappable between 135, 142, and 142+. Or is 142+ different? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Roval questions?

Did some reading. 142+ is its own animal and is not swappable with 135 or 142.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    RovalJ-I have the alum Roval wheelset that came on the 2014 Enduro Expert Carbon 29", so not sure if those are full Roval build? Based on this info, can you tell me which spokes these would have? I have broken several rear spokes and my LBS is working with Specialized Support to provide a new spokeset and they are going to rebuild them. I am considering the Traverse Fattie SL's and keeping the other Roval's as a backup. Will the Fattie SL's have the same spokes and is there any improvement in the spoke pattern or spoke material compared to what I have now? Thanks!

spr
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hi Roval Joe,

I ask it in other thread.

I am looking for new XC/Trial carbon 29er wheel.

How do those following wheelsets compare in terms of stiffnest, how its run tubeless ?

Roval control Carbon 29
    Roval contro Carbon 29 SL (is it stiffer then the Roval control?)
    Eaton EC70 trial 29er

Thx

mtbr member
    Roval
    I am looking at purchasing a member's take off pair of 650B Traverse Fatties off of his Enduro but they obviously came with only the 142+ caps on the rear. Is there a PN for the standard 142's and are they available for purchase through my LBS??

Thanks!
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Sorry, one more question. The Enduro 2015 specs list "Roval Fattie" as the spec'd wheelset. Is this the EXACT same rim set as the "Roval Traverse Fattie" available on the equipment page. I'm not sure if its just a nuance in the verbiage or if the rimset that come on the complete is subpar in some way. Thanks.

BTW, my LBS sounded dumbfounded when I asked them to try and locate an end cap set for the Fatties. Any help would be awesome. Thanks!
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    [QUOTE=davemk;11556386]Roval Joe

davemk- my apologies for the lag in reply. Most of the data we have is from our field test program since I haven't heard of much in terms of failures since we launched them from customers. Probably the best example of durability was our Enduro rider, Curtis Keene, did not break a single Fattie wheel during the entire EWS race series this year, and he's around 190lbs. have you had problems with any particular wheels in the past, and if so, what were the problems you've had?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ultreia View Post
    I have writed in other post, but Why could be the reason of chaning bearings of a Roval Control 29 and the freehub gets fixed when the wheel is mounted in the bike ? The parts are correctly mounted and the bearings are ok. My wheel had a bit play but now It hasn't play but when I mount the wheel in the bike the freehub gets fixed.
    ultreia- I'm sorry but I don't quite follow you. are you saying that your freehub locks up when you are coasting?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Spillway View Post
    Did some reading. 142+ is its own animal and is not swappable with 135 or 142.
    yes, 142+ is not convertible

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    Sorry, one more question. The Enduro 2015 specs list "Roval Fattie" as the spec'd wheelset. Is this the EXACT same rim set as the "Roval Traverse Fattie" available on the equipment page. I'm not sure if its just a nuance in the verbiage or if the rimset that come on the complete is subpar in some way. Thanks.

BTW, my LBS sounded dumbfounded when I asked them to try and locate an end cap set for the Fatties. Any help would be awesome. Thanks!
    Chuch- you cannot convert a 142+ wheel to work with 135 or 142 standard, so there are no end caps to convert it. regarding your spec question about rims- which Enduro model are you referring to?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hey Roval Joe, I'm cross posting this from Pinkbike in hopes that you can help me out. The wheels I'm having problems with are 2010 Roval Traverse AL's

Quote Originally Posted by Nobble
    Quote Originally Posted by gabriel-mission9
    Quote Originally Posted by bigburd
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunderwood93
    I've broken two spoke nipples on my Rovals at the base of the nipple in less than a month, this last one while just riding down the trail. I don't know if that's because the spoke nipples are old or because DT Swiss nipples are bad? Either way it costs me $38 to have my LBS change a nipple out. Should I buy a new set of nipples and have my LBS rebuild the wheel?

I'm tired of this happening.
    If they charge 38 for replacing 1 nipple then imagine the price of a rebuild !
    A normal price for a full wheel build from scratch in the UK is about £30, so thats what $50? $38 to change out a broken nipple seems crazy to me. I'd probably do it for a fiver if the wheel was otherwise in good condition. Especially if you were a regular customer, or looked like you might become one....

Nipples breaking is odd. The spokes should be screwed in pretty much the full length of the nipple, meaning it should really be nigh on impossible to snap one in use....
    $38 is a lot but that could also be including removing the wheel from the bike and removing/setting up a tubeless tire each time.

I highly doubt they charge $38 to literally unthread and rethread a nipple.
    I know I'm bringing this back from a few pages ago, I haven't had time to keep up with everyone's responses or respond, school sucks. I'm trying to quote everyone I saw that replied to get some stuff out of the way. I took the wheel to my LBS and asked what a rebuild would cost, roughly ~$60 + parts. I was told It would usually be less but the rebuild would cost more because Roval wheels have an odd spoke pattern apparently, 8 spokes on the right, 16 spokes on the left, 24 spokes total, plus the spokes are different lengths. The reason it was so costly to change out one nipple previously is because like someone said above, the shop had to redo my tubeless setup, normally I'd do it myself but I don't have access to an air-compressor at the moment.

Either way I'd like to get everyone's opinions on what path I should take for getting this wheel rebuilt, I've got two options.

1) My LBS recommended I ditch the OEM aluminum nipples (14mm x 2.0 DT Swiss Proloc Alu's) and go with brass for strength. If I go this route I was going to order (16mm x 2.0 DT Proloc black brass nipples) and have both the front and rear wheels rebuilt because I'm pretty anal about things being uniform.

2) I order a new set of (16mm x 2.0 DT Swiss Proloc alu's) and have the wheel rebuilt with new aluminum nipples and have both the front and rear rebuilt like I was going to do in option 1. Again, I'm pretty anal about things looking uniform even though I've had no issues with the rear breaking nipples...yet.

My biggest concern is rebuilding the wheel and breaking more spoke nipples, so that's why I'm asking for everyone's opinion here before I drop the $$ on wheel rebuilds.

If it counts for anything here's some extra info, the two nipples I've broken have been on the right side of the wheel (8 spoke side). Both nipples let go at the base of the nipple, pictured below. I was also told that there was a very minor hop (bend) in my wheel last time I was in the shop getting the first nipple replaced, not sure if that could be the cause of any of this. and lastly, here are the two trails I ride locally, they're pretty damn rocky (compared to what I'm used to riding) should this sway what kind of nipple I chose to rebuild with? Also, is there any reason I can't find anyone selling 14mm length spoke nipples like are on the wheel currently? Is that not a standard anymore or is it a length Specialized uses because they want to be special snow flakes?

Trail 1 : Prospect Park
    Trail 2 : Purgatory Creek

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Purelyfictional- I don't know the history of your wheel, but on paper you've got a wheel that is 5 years old (model year '10 wheel and we're in model year '15 now), and you're riding in aggressive conditions. If you've already got a hop in your front wheel, there's a good chance rebuilding it with new nipples is not going to fix that. You might want to consider replacing rims, just a thought. 16mm brass nipples will work fine as a replacement, not sure why you can't find 14mm, DT still lists them on their website. Could be the distribution channels you're searching just don't carry them?

My recommendation: if you want to have peace of mind that you won't have more nipple problems, go with brass as a replacement. because of the age of the wheels and lack of history, it's the safest bet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Carbon rim and aluminum nipple corrosion

Hi Joe
    I have seen bad Aluminum nipples corrosion in a carbon rim ( it was not a roval rim)

how do you build roval carbon wheels and not get aluminum nipple corrosion?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Foot View Post
    Hi Joe
    I have seen bad Aluminum nipples corrosion in a carbon rim ( it was not a roval rim)

how do you build roval carbon wheels and not get aluminum nipple corrosion?

Thanks
    Big Foot- great question. If you read the posts where I've discussed this before, you know that there is not one silver bullet that causes/fixes alloy nipple corrosion. If it were a universal issue, we would be seeing a huge rate of returns on our product. Do not get me wrong- alloy nipple corrosion is for sure happening for some customers, but from what we are seeing, it is far from all, or even the majority for that matter. You'll see some manufacturers recommend certain tubeless sealants saying that some types of sealant promote nipple corrosion. Unfortunately this is not the only thing that can cause it, as I have seen a couple wheels with nipple corrosion that were never set up tubeless.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Purelyfictional- I don't know the history of your wheel, but on paper you've got a wheel that is 5 years old (model year '10 wheel and we're in model year '15 now), and you're riding in aggressive conditions. If you've already got a hop in your front wheel, there's a good chance rebuilding it with new nipples is not going to fix that. You might want to consider replacing rims, just a thought. 16mm brass nipples will work fine as a replacement, not sure why you can't find 14mm, DT still lists them on their website. Could be the distribution channels you're searching just don't carry them?

My recommendation: if you want to have peace of mind that you won't have more nipple problems, go with brass as a replacement. because of the age of the wheels and lack of history, it's the safest bet.
    Appreciate the advice, and the help Roval Joe. One last question though, what is the shortest nipple length I can use on my set of wheels? I'm trying to source black brass DT prolock nipples without buying in bulk. Seems the only retailers that don't sell in bulk only sell the 12mm x 2.0mm nipples. Would a 12mm nipple work? or is that too short.

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Roval Joe. i purchased a set of take off travers fatties online and they came with the xd driver. what free hub do i need to use with a regular 10speed cassette? will any mtb dt swiss hub work? Mine is the 3pawl system and most of the DT free hubs I see are for the ratchet

Thank you

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Joe, I have been following your thread, but should of started from the recent instead of the beginning. After cut and pasting anything that applied to my question, I realized I should just ask instead. I have a 2012 camber 29". I am in my 50's, weigh 210. I do mostly Xcountry, but a few races (c4 and whiskey 25 in AZ) and really enjoy my bike, but would like to upgrade. My LBS says the most bang for buck would be to get some carbon wheels. What would be your suggestion and why? Thanks much

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PurelyFictional View Post
    Appreciate the advice, and the help Roval Joe. One last question though, what is the shortest nipple length I can use on my set of wheels? I'm trying to source black brass DT prolock nipples without buying in bulk. Seems the only retailers that don't sell in bulk only sell the 12mm x 2.0mm nipples. Would a 12mm nipple work? or is that too short.

Thank you.
    No worries- 12mm nipples will work fine.

mtbr member
    Well, I just ordered the Alloy Roval Traverse Fatties for my Troy. Fingers crossed these wide/light guys hold up!
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TamiJean View Post
    Roval Joe. i purchased a set of take off travers fatties online and they came with the xd driver. what free hub do i need to use with a regular 10speed cassette? will any mtb dt swiss hub work? Mine is the 3pawl system and most of the DT free hubs I see are for the ratchet

Thank you
    TamiJean- you must have the alloy fatties if you have a 3 pawl system. this uses the DT 360 based rear hub, so you can use that FH body from DT, but since it came as an OE wheel, the rear hub is 142+, so keep that end cap that came with your wheel since DT does not have the 142+ end caps in stock.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fbear View Post
    Joe, I have been following your thread, but should of started from the recent instead of the beginning. After cut and pasting anything that applied to my question, I realized I should just ask instead. I have a 2012 camber 29". I am in my 50's, weigh 210. I do mostly Xcountry, but a few races (c4 and whiskey 25 in AZ) and really enjoy my bike, but would like to upgrade. My LBS says the most bang for buck would be to get some carbon wheels. What would be your suggestion and why? Thanks much
    fbear- I'd recommend the Control 29 Carbon's as they are a lot of bang for the buck, and very durable when it comes to impacts, which is likely important to you out in AZ. The weight difference will be huge over what you have currently, they'll accelerate a lot quicker and be quite a bit more snappy feeling than your stock wheels also.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    No worries, sorry I don't have better news for you. Today's wheels are the same hub, so no difference in dimension there. I'm curious, would you consider using XX1 1x11 for your cross bike? that would allow your wheels to work for both mtn/cross. Just a suggestion, please don't hate me if this is totally inappropriate, as I'm not a cross guy.
    Whoops, missed your second question from way back.

I upgraded to Ultegra Di2 w/ 785 shifters (the "hydro-electric" setup) this year to help address some wrist issues. If I hadn't, then yes, I absolutely would consider a 1x11 drivetrain with a clutch rear derailleur and a "drop stop" chainring. These two improvements (and greater selection for number of teeth on the front ring) fixed the hesitations which kept me from going 1x the last couple of years.

And get out and try it. Use whatever bike you have - I took my buddy's fatbike out for a lap the other week - and it was just about the most fun I've ever had on a cross course! Are you in Morgan Hill? The Bay Area Super Prestige is rad, and there are many other series' to boot. Doooooo it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Whoops, missed your second question from way back.

I upgraded to Ultegra Di2 w/ 785 shifters (the "hydro-electric" setup) this year to help address some wrist issues. If I hadn't, then yes, I absolutely would consider a 1x11 drivetrain with a clutch rear derailleur and a "drop stop" chainring. These two improvements (and greater selection for number of teeth on the front ring) fixed the hesitations which kept me from going 1x the last couple of years.

And get out and try it. Use whatever bike you have - I took my buddy's fatbike out for a lap the other week - and it was just about the most fun I've ever had on a cross course! Are you in Morgan Hill? The Bay Area Super Prestige is rad, and there are many other series' to boot. Doooooo it.
    Ok, so yeah, sounds like these wheels wouldn't be the perfect fit for you then. I hear you on trying 'cross, but with all the other things I have going (mtn riding, road riding, crossfit, surf), it's hard to wedge another activity in!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Joe, Thanks for your input. Bought the Control 29 Carbon's today. Can't wait. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hi!! Roval Joe,
    Could you let me know the order part number and the retail price of the 15 Roval Traverse SL Fattie wheels's internal 54T star ratchet?

MJ1
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Roval Joe, another broken rear spoke on my relatively new Control Carbon's has me worried about their durability. I've read posts about spoke fatigue, spoke windup, bad batch of spokes, etc. Just what is the issue? Wheels are approximately 6 months old, 2 broken spokes, I weigh 160 lbs and have probably broken two spokes on a mtb in 20+ years (I know, I don't ride hard enough!). What is my best option to resolve this and get me back to feeling like I purchased a durable, do-anything wheelset that I can race and train on?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ1 View Post
    Roval Joe, another broken rear spoke on my relatively new Control Carbon's has me worried about their durability. I've read posts about spoke fatigue, spoke windup, bad batch of spokes, etc. Just what is the issue? Wheels are approximately 6 months old, 2 broken spokes, I weigh 160 lbs and have probably broken two spokes on a mtb in 20+ years (I know, I don't ride hard enough!). What is my best option to resolve this and get me back to feeling like I purchased a durable, do-anything wheelset that I can race and train on?
    MJ1- I'm sorry you're having problems with your Control Carbon's. We'll take care of you on this. Please return your wheel to the dealer you bought it from and they can return to our service center for a rebuild. To answer your question about what is causing it, we are not 100% sure since we cannot replicate the issue on our test machines, but we have been rebuilding the wheels with a slightly different lacing pattern that has yet to have the same problems. If you want to PM me with your name and the name of the shop you're using, I'll give our customer service guys a heads up that you'll be coming.

mtbr member
    Roval Traverse Fattie Alloy write up:

http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/...ew-939976.html
    Santa Cruz HT2

MJ1
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks Joe, my shop is taking care of me! Great customer service.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ1 View Post
    Thanks Joe, my shop is taking care of me! Great customer service.
    Great customer support !

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hello Roval Joe,

I have a 2012 control carbon SL wheel set that I am trying to use on my 13 epic comp. The epic comp comes with 9MM QR. The kit does not come with a 9MM end cap. What end cap part number do I need to use the 9MM QR. The QR that came with the kit is too small and I get brake rub once on the trails.

Thank you,

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nta01 View Post
    Hello Roval Joe,

I have a 2012 control carbon SL wheel set that I am trying to use on my 13 epic comp. The epic comp comes with 9MM QR. The kit does not come with a 9MM end cap. What end cap part number do I need to use the 9MM QR. The QR that came with the kit is too small and I get brake rub once on the trails.

Thank you,
    nta01- we never made 9mm end caps for Roval wheels, so you will need to use the 5mm QR that comes with the wheels. This should not have an effect on brake rub on the trails. maybe you can elaborate more so I can try to help you solve the issue?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Hello Roval Joe,
    I have a set of 2013 Roval Traverse SL 26" wheels. They came on mt Stumpjumper FSR with a 20mm thru front and 12 X142 rear. Can they be changed to 9mm Q/R? I have changed wheelsets and would like to use them on my older Stumpjumper. I've been told that they are joytech hubs. I've been told two different stories, is it possible?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hi Joe,

I've got a SJ 2013 Evo Expert with a slightly used original Roval wheelset. The reason it is only slightly used is that already my 3rd spoke is broken and it was pretty hard to get replacement spokes here in austria - my shop doesn't want to stock them as they only rarely need them.

So I think about rebuilding the whole wheel. Could you tell me the specs of the spokes and nipples?

thnaks so much

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

User guide

Hey RovalJoe, my 2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29 came new with DT SWISS wheels.

I need "user maintenance guide" including tools needed and diagrams/methods step by step. Also Mr. RovalJoe do you know the model name/number of my hubs and/or how I get that information?

Thanks so much from Good2ride
    Last edited by Good2ride; 12-01-2014 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Photos

The Fastest of Bananas
    Roval Joe,

I have a new 2014 Spec Enduro Expert 26. It came with Roval Traverse wheels. I like the hubs, but not the rims. I am thinking of getting Nextie carbon rims to lace onto the hubs.

My question is, what is the weight on the stock hubs? Also, what would be a good way to calculate the new spoke length? and would straight pull bladed spokes work?

mtbr member
    RovalJoe - I have a wheel set with a DT Swiss 350 Sram XX1 compatible rear hub. Will the XD freehub body from my 350 hub fit on the Traverse SL Fattie hub, or do I need to buy a new XD freehub?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pschober View Post
    Hello Roval Joe,
    I have a set of 2013 Roval Traverse SL 26" wheels. They came on mt Stumpjumper FSR with a 20mm thru front and 12 X142 rear. Can they be changed to 9mm Q/R? I have changed wheelsets and would like to use them on my older Stumpjumper. I've been told that they are joytech hubs. I've been told two different stories, is it possible?
    pschober- only way to tell is send me some photos of your hub, that will confirm what you have

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_at View Post
    Hi Joe,

I've got a SJ 2013 Evo Expert with a slightly used original Roval wheelset. The reason it is only slightly used is that already my 3rd spoke is broken and it was pretty hard to get replacement spokes here in austria - my shop doesn't want to stock them as they only rarely need them.

So I think about rebuilding the whole wheel. Could you tell me the specs of the spokes and nipples?

thnaks so much
    Chris_at- check out near the beginning of this thread where there are links to complete specs of all the wheels. You have the Traverse alloys.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Good2ride View Post
    Hey RovalJoe, my 2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29 came new with DT SWISS wheels.

I need "user maintenance guide" including tools needed and diagrams/methods step by step. Also Mr. RovalJoe do you know the model name/number of my hubs and/or how I get that information?

Thanks so much from Good2ride
    Good2ride- not sure I totally follow you here. We don't have manuals for these wheels, as they are not Roval wheelsets. Are you trying to do something in particular?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    Roval Joe,

I have a new 2014 Spec Enduro Expert 26. It came with Roval Traverse wheels. I like the hubs, but not the rims. I am thinking of getting Nextie carbon rims to lace onto the hubs.

My question is, what is the weight on the stock hubs? Also, what would be a good way to calculate the new spoke length? and would straight pull bladed spokes work?
    FastBanana- Since our wheels are sold as a system, we don't advertise component weights. For calculating straight pull spokes, DT offers an online calculator for straight pull I believe, and yeah, depending on what kind you use, some straight pull bladed spokes will work.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by davemk View Post
    RovalJoe - I have a wheel set with a DT Swiss 350 Sram XX1 compatible rear hub. Will the XD freehub body from my 350 hub fit on the Traverse SL Fattie hub, or do I need to buy a new XD freehub?
    davemk- yeah, the FH body is the exact same, but if you have a 142+ Roval hub, the end cap will be 2mm longer on your 350 hub than what you'll need. If you have a 135/142 standard hub, you're set. let me know if this doesn't make sense and I can explain further

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks RovalJoe for your quick response and excellent knowledge base. Big help clarifying I have not a ROVAL !

mtbr member
    davemk- yeah, the FH body is the exact same, but if you have a 142+ Roval hub, the end cap will be 2mm longer on your 350 hub than what you'll need. If you have a 135/142 standard hub, you're set. let me know if this doesn't make sense and I can explain further
    Joe - Thanks for the help. I am making my new wheel decision this week so I have a few follow up questions. First, I like the idea of the spoke hole plugs, but it would really suck if one came loose mid-ride. So how secure are the spoke hole plugs? Have they been reliable in the field?

Second, the warranty is listed online as: Warranty: 3 year/limited lifetime with $125 rim replacement program for non-warranty repairs (plus labor). Is this still correct? If so, can you provide some additional detail on the 3 year time period? If I crack a rim on 3-5 foot drop during that period does the warranty cover it? Or, do I have to pay the $125 + labor?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by davemk View Post
    Joe - Thanks for the help. I am making my new wheel decision this week so I have a few follow up questions. First, I like the idea of the spoke hole plugs, but it would really suck if one came loose mid-ride. So how secure are the spoke hole plugs? Have they been reliable in the field?

Second, the warranty is listed online as: Warranty: 3 year/limited lifetime with $125 rim replacement program for non-warranty repairs (plus labor). Is this still correct? If so, can you provide some additional detail on the 3 year time period? If I crack a rim on 3-5 foot drop during that period does the warranty cover it? Or, do I have to pay the $125 + labor?
    So far no complaints with the tubeless plugs. They've proven to be very robust, so in order for them to "come loose", some other kind of problem would likely need to happen. The crash replacement/warranty is still correct. If you crack a rim on a drop due to a manufacturing defect, we'll cover it. A manufacturing defect would be something like the rim not being molded properly, or over sanded, etc, and these things are pretty obvious when you see the cracked rim. If you did somehow get a rim like this, it would for sure happen within the first 3 years (assuming that they are actually ridden in that time). If the rim is molded properly, they'll handle 3-5 foot drops no problem, unless you are riding w/out tires or something goofy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I'm running wheels off a specialized full suspension, the first rear wheel had free hub issues with lack of lube, sent wheel back due to not being field serviceable. Y'all sent a new rear wheel and I'm starting to have the same problem. Are there any free hubs I can get that will hold up? I live in East Tennessee, I ride tanasi trail system as well as chilhowie trail systems, raccoon mtn, etc. I'm a big man, I ride everything my smaller friends ride, just not as fast.lol! The wheels will handle my 300lbs on thunder rock with no problem! I ride as fast on my hard tail down this trail as most guys on f/s. These wheels are really tough, freehub is the weak link. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by scurtis View Post
    I'm running wheels off a specialized full suspension, the first rear wheel had free hub issues with lack of lube, sent wheel back due to not being field serviceable. Y'all sent a new rear wheel and I'm starting to have the same problem. Are there any free hubs I can get that will hold up? I live in East Tennessee, I ride tanasi trail system as well as chilhowie trail systems, raccoon mtn, etc. I'm a big man, I ride everything my smaller friends ride, just not as fast.lol! The wheels will handle my 300lbs on thunder rock with no problem! I ride as fast on my hard tail down this trail as most guys on f/s. These wheels are really tough, freehub is the weak link. Any suggestions?
    scurtis- knowing which wheelset you have would help me understand more. Do you know which bike model the wheel came from?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Roval

scurtis- knowing which wheelset you have would help me understand more. Do you know which bike model the wheel came from?
    Camber comp 29

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Camber comp 29

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hi Roval Joe

This is more of a supply chain question. I am very interested in getting a Roval Traverse Fattie 27.5 wheelset for my GT Force, BUT my LBS has advised that the New Zealand distributor is not bringing in the Alu version, just the carbon version. Short of flying to a different country to buy them is there some other way I can purchase these wheels from Specialized? I really want these wheels but if I can't get them I'll have to look at a different brand unfortunately.

Thanks!

BTW, great thread you have going here, it's good to see the industry visibly involved at this level.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

15 mm adapters and XD free hub for 2012 Cmntroll SL hubs

I have a pair of hubs that I believe came from a S-Works Epic 29er 2012 wheelset (Control SL?). The wheels had a mixture of red flat and black round spokes. I also got the spokes and i have built up a new super wheelset with carbon rims.

1. Now I want to to use the front wheel with a 15 mm fork. Is it the S125900010 adapters end caps I need?

2. The rear wheel has a standard free hub for 10 speed cassette, but I want to use it with XX1. Can I put on any XD free hub for DT Swiss rear hubs or do I need some Specialized version?

mtbr member
    I have an early pair of Control SL carbons. A stock DT XD free hub worked perfectly for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hi Roval Joe, I am planning to get the Traverse Fattie SL wheels as they check all my boxes. But I was curious as to why Roval chose to use round spokes vs bladed spokes like the DT Aerolite?

By the way, what solidified my decision on these wheels was the warranty. Paying at most $200 for a repair whether it's my fault or not, seems very fair. But of course, I hope to never have to use that warranty.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Hi Roval Joe,

I have roval traverse 26" wheels that came with my 2014 Stumpjumper Evo. My rear hub has gotten louder from the last batch of stream crossings I've done. Is the hub serviceable, if so do you have a service manual?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    The hub has a part number SP-1342 M.F on it.

Quote Originally Posted by fdes View Post
    Hi Roval Joe,

I have roval traverse 26" wheels that came with my 2014 Stumpjumper Evo. My rear hub has gotten louder from the last batch of stream crossings I've done. Is the hub serviceable, if so do you have a service manual?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jono968 View Post
    Hi Roval Joe

This is more of a supply chain question. I am very interested in getting a Roval Traverse Fattie 27.5 wheelset for my GT Force, BUT my LBS has advised that the New Zealand distributor is not bringing in the Alu version, just the carbon version. Short of flying to a different country to buy them is there some other way I can purchase these wheels from Specialized? I really want these wheels but if I can't get them I'll have to look at a different brand unfortunately.

Thanks!

BTW, great thread you have going here, it's good to see the industry visibly involved at this level.

Jono968- glad you like the thread! I don't think there is a way to get the wheels other than you suggest. I'll forward your message on to the guys in NZ to give them some visibility to the fact that customers are wanting the wheels. This won't change anything immediately, but it's a start at least.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jono968 View Post
    Hi Roval Joe

Thanks!

Jono968- I forwarded your message on to our guys in NZ, and they actually have these wheels on order, and their dealer facing website also shows this. Sounds like the shop you dealt with might have been misinformed? Please check with them again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikGBL View Post
    I have a pair of hubs that I believe came from a S-Works Epic 29er 2012 wheelset (Control SL?). The wheels had a mixture of red flat and black round spokes. I also got the spokes and i have built up a new super wheelset with carbon rims.

1. Now I want to to use the front wheel with a 15 mm fork. Is it the S125900010 adapters end caps I need?

2. The rear wheel has a standard free hub for 10 speed cassette, but I want to use it with XX1. Can I put on any XD free hub for DT Swiss rear hubs or do I need some Specialized version?
    ErikGBL- 1) you are correct, that end cap PN is the right one. 2) the XD freehub body is the same as DT Swiss 240/350 based hubs, but since the wheel you have came off of a bike, you definitely have 142+ spacing, so you'll need the correct end cap to go with it. PN for the XD FH body and 142+ end cap is S132100005.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
    Hi Roval Joe, I am planning to get the Traverse Fattie SL wheels as they check all my boxes. But I was curious as to why Roval chose to use round spokes vs bladed spokes like the DT Aerolite?

By the way, what solidified my decision on these wheels was the warranty. Paying at most $200 for a repair whether it's my fault or not, seems very fair. But of course, I hope to never have to use that warranty.
    Bristecom- good question on the spokes. Some of it has to do with cost (bladed spokes are considerably more), and not as readily available as round spokes. Some people will tell you that straight pull spokes in general are not easy to come by, so going to all bladed would be a negative for some customers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hi Roval Joe,

fdes- which Evo model did you get, the Expert or the base model?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    i have the base Evo model.
    fdes- which Evo model did you get, the Expert or the base model?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    i have the base Evo model.
    Ok, you have an OE set of wheels that use Traverse rims, not a Traverse wheelset. We don't have a service guide for the hubs you have, but you can get replacement freehubs through our service centers if yours is going bad.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Jono968- I forwarded your message on to our guys in NZ, and they actually have these wheels on order, and their dealer facing website also shows this. Sounds like the shop you dealt with might have been misinformed? Please check with them again.
    That's great news and thanks for following up on this! I will talk to the shop again and find out when they're expected.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Roval Joe,

I was wondering if we can buy the front hub from the Control SL 29 Torque Tube wheelset. If yes, what is the Specialized part number for it.

I like to retrofit it into a 2014 Control SL 29 142+ front wheel. Is this possible?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mpower13 View Post
    Roval Joe,

I was wondering if we can buy the front hub from the Control SL 29 Torque Tube wheelset. If yes, what is the Specialized part number for it.

I like to retrofit it into a 2014 Control SL 29 142+ front wheel. Is this possible?

Thanks.
    mpower13- it is a SRAM hub, but I'm not sure if SRAM offers it as an aftermarket item. For sure you can get some SRAM torque tube hubs, but not sure if it's the same configuration as what we're using. The bad news is that the rim you have (from standard Control SL) is drilled with a different spoke angle than what you would use for the Torque Tube hub, so while you could build it up, it would likely end up cracking at the spoke nipple holes eventually.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hi.
    Roval Joe, or someone, you know the roval control SL 2013 hubs and rims weight?
    Last edited by phalhas; 12-21-2014 at 04:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hi again Roval Joe,

As I said before, I'm planning to get the Traverse Fattie SL wheels but one concern I have is the noise of the hub. I understand higher POE hubs make more noise but is there any way to quiet them down? I heard they are more sensitive with the grease so I don't want to risk using too much. If you listen to Curtis Keene's videos, you can hear it quite loudly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdCj4SHQaME

I know some people like that sound but I think it'd distract and annoy me after a while. My current DT Swiss Star Ratchet hub with 18 POE is dead silent but of course, has very delayed engagement.

Also, I had heard some cases of the spokes breaking or getting out of true often. Have these issues been resolved?

And lastly, am I right in thinking that regardless of the reason of the wheel (rim/spokes/hub) breaking, Specialized will fix it for at most like $200 out of pocket?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hi.
    Can you give me some information about the spoke length on Roval Control Sl 26 2012 year wheels with carbon rims?
    The spokes are straight pull DT Revolution 2*1.5*2.
    And what nipples are used in this wheels?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Can Anyone help me with weight and details of the stock wheels on a specialized evo comp stumpjumper, roval 650b, alloy disc, 24mm wide, 32h wheels more detailed specs and weight plus any opinion of the wheels is welcome. Do they weigh 2200 gr or more?
    Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hi again Roval Joe,

As I said before, I'm planning to get the Traverse Fattie SL wheels but one concern I have is the noise of the hub. I understand higher POE hubs make more noise but is there any way to quiet them down? I heard they are more sensitive with the grease so I don't want to risk using too much. If you listen to Curtis Keene's videos, you can hear it quite loudly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdCj4SHQaME

I know some people like that sound but I think it'd distract and annoy me after a while. My current DT Swiss Star Ratchet hub with 18 POE is dead silent but of course, has very delayed engagement.

Also, I had heard some cases of the spokes breaking or getting out of true often. Have these issues been resolved?

And lastly, am I right in thinking that regardless of the reason of the wheel (rim/spokes/hub) breaking, Specialized will fix it for at most like $200 out of pocket?
    You can quiet them by making sure they are well greased. I have a set of DT350 hubs that I upgraded from the 18 to the 36 POE star ratchet. Over time I noticed them getting louder, so I re-greased them (with the special DT grease), and now they are very quiet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by phalhas View Post
    Hi.
    Roval Joe, or someone, you know the roval control SL 2013 hubs and rims weight?
    Sorry, because we sell the wheels as systems, we only give out wheel weights, not weights for components.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hi again Roval Joe,

Bristecom- If your ratchets are lubed properly, they'll only make slightly more noise than your 18t ratchets. The noise gets considerably louder as lubrication in the ratchets dries out (some people really like this noise as you mention, to me it becomes a bit much though). As long as you keep your ratchets properly lubed, it shouldn't be that loud. As for spokes breaking, the issues had been on 32h rear wheels, but with 24/28h rear, we have not seen issues yet. We've now had 24/28h wheels in the market (control SL's) for a couple years, so it should have showed up by now if it was still an issue. Lastly, you are referring to the crash replacement policy I believe. If you break your rim due to something other than a manufacturing issue, then you can get your rim replaced for the cost of the rim plus labor to build, which will come close to $200. If there is a problem with the wheel due to manufacturing defects, then your wheel will be repaired or replaced if it is under 3 years old.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by < T.R.E.K > View Post
    Hi.
    Can you give me some information about the spoke length on Roval Control Sl 26 2012 year wheels with carbon rims?
    The spokes are straight pull DT Revolution 2*1.5*2.
    And what nipples are used in this wheels?
    Thanks.
    <T.R.E.K>- nipples are DT hex head pro lock 14mm alloy nipples. Spoke lengths are:
    Front drive side: 258mm, Front disc side: 269mm, Rear drive side: 275mm, Rear disc side: 277mm

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by winsail View Post
    Can Anyone help me with weight and details of the stock wheels on a specialized evo comp stumpjumper, roval 650b, alloy disc, 24mm wide, 32h wheels more detailed specs and weight plus any opinion of the wheels is welcome. Do they weigh 2200 gr or more?
    Thanks in advance
    Sorry winsail, I don't have weights for non Roval wheelsets. the wheels you're describing use Roval rims, but different spokes/hubs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hi Joe-

I just picked up a 15 SJ EVO with the stock Aluminum Fatties. The rim tape is folded, so I can't use the existing tape to go tubeless. First question, will the Roval plugs that come on the SL's work? If so, can I order them? If not, would Stans 25mm tape be a good option, or would I need to go with wider tape? Does Specialized have a rim tape that would work? The stock wheels came with 31mm tape which I'm sure is why it ended up folded in there since the rims are 29mm. Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    what is the weight of ROVALTRAVERSE FATTIE 650B alloy?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ;11686822
    Hi Joe-

I just picked up a 15 SJ EVO with the stock Aluminum Fatties. The rim tape is folded, so I can't use the existing tape to go tubeless. First question, will the Roval plugs that come on the SL's work? If so, can I order them? If not, would Stans 25mm tape be a good option, or would I need to go with wider tape? Does Specialized have a rim tape that would work? The stock wheels came with 31mm tape which I'm sure is why it ended up folded in there since the rims are 29mm. Thanks for your help.
    toyotatacomaTRD- technically the plugs for the carbon rims will not work with the alloy rims since the rim bed thicknesses are different, so we can't guarantee it will seal every time. The reason your rim strip was folded is due to incorrect installation at the factory, please return to the dealer and have them warrantee this for you. I've seen it before and we've made a lot of progress in fixing this, but still some do slip through production. 31mm rim strip is the correct width, and here's why- your rim is considered 29mm because the measurement is taken at the top of the sidewall, where there is a thin bead of material, narrowing the measurement by 1mm. If you measure the width down where the bead is, the width is actually 30mm, and then you have to account for the fact that the rim strip needs to stretch down into the rim bed, so it needs to be slightly wider than the measured width. This way when you install the rim strip correctly, each edge will be just at the edge of each rim sidewall. hope this makes sense, but let me know if you have any other questions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Can I convert the rear hub of the Traverse Fattie SL wheels to use a 135x10 thru axle? I did this on a set of DT350 hubs I have. Will the DT350 end caps work on the Traverse Fattie SL hubs?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Hi,
    I'm struggling to find out the lenght of my 2014 Enduro 26 Expert spokes.
    I never thought it could be so hard to find a so common information.
    Can anyone please help? (maybe Joe?)
    Thank you

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Roval Joe,

I have a question about the stock rear hi/low hub on my 2015 SJ evo ht.
    Is there an XD driver available that will fit on it?
    Last edited by 14EVOHT; 01-12-2015 at 06:43 AM.
    2018 Farley 9.6 - Eagle X01, XT Brakes
    2017 Salsa PR GX1 - X01, I9/carbon 27.5+
    2017 Surly KM (black) 1x11, 27.5+

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Roval Joe,

What are the part numbers for standard QR end caps for 2014 Control SL front wheel? It currently has 15mm thru axle caps and I would like to put it on the Chisel fork which has standard QR dropouts.
    Last edited by mpower13; 01-12-2015 at 10:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzu View Post
    Hi,
    I'm struggling to find out the length of my 2014 Enduro 26 Expert spokes.
    I never thought it could be so hard to find a so common information.
    Can anyone please help? (maybe Joe?)
    Thank you
    Muzu, the spokes for your wheels are:

FRONT SPOKE-RIGHT Part#S124600022 SPK DT MY12/13 ROVAL SUPER COMP STRAIGHT-PULL 1.8/1.7/2.0MM X 254MM BLK
    FRONT SPOKE-LEFT Part#S124600023 SPK DT MY12/13 ROVAL SUPER COMP STRAIGHT-PULL 1.8/1.7/2.0MM X 274MM BLK

REAR SPOKE-DRIVE SIDE Part#S114600036 SPK DT MY11-13 ROVAL SUPER COMP STRAIGHT-PULL 1.8/1.7/2.0MM X 272MM BLK
    REAR SPOKE-NON DRIVE SIDE Part#S124600023 DT Swiss Super Comp 15/16 Gauge, Straight pull 274MM

Your local Specialized shop can order you the necessary spokes with those part numbers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hey Joe,

I'm wondering if you know the ERD of the Traverse 29 al rim off a 2013 SJ FSR Evo Expert? I can't find anything on the TSW and the Internet has got me going in circles.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hey guys- thanks for all of the questions. Hope this will help.

@jabrabu- your DT 350 135x10 end caps will work on the Traverse Fattie SL wheels as long as you purchase the non-142+ aftermarket version of the wheels.

@14EVOHT- there is not an XD driver available for that hub configuration

@muzu- larryssman7 has got you handled, those are the correct lengths

@mpower13 - the SBC part number is S125900007

@larryssman7 - since Roval wheels are meant to be run as a system, as a rule we don't publish ERD's for our wheels. If you need me to look up a spoke length for that wheel just let me know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hey guys- thanks for all of the questions

@14EVOHT- there is not an XD driver available for that hub configuration
    Thanks for the answer... that's what I was afraid I would find out

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Roval Joe, Thanks so much for making yourself available to answer questions directly. Your Fattie carbon 650b wheels have really caught my eye. Do you have any available that are standard 142? I'm looking to put these on an Ibis HD3

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    @mtnbikfrut - No problem, thank you for the interest. Here's a link to the Fattie Carbon 650b wheels that will fit on your Ibis.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Joe,
    Do you offer the Roval Traverse Fattie wheel set (in either aluminum or carbon) with 32 spokes like my OEM wheels have. I want to stay with 32 spokes but want to use the 11 speed free hub. Seems strange that the bikes come from the factory with 32 but I don't see anything offered but 24/28. Guess I might be buying aftermarket?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hi Joe, I have a set of Roval Traverse SL 29 142+. I want to upgrade to the wide Fatties. But first I need to sell the Traverse. Is it possible to convert the 142+ into regular 142? My understanding is that the 142+ will not fit other manufacturer's bikes thus severely limiting my ability to sell the Traverse wheels. Thanks for your time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    @14EVOHT- All Roval Traverse wheels (both OEM and AM) went to 24/28H spoke counts for MY15. These wheels use a significantly wider rim which helps allow for the lower spoke count. The durability is great and the benefits of the wider rims (improved tire, profile, ability to run lower pressure for increased traction without burping) are things you can really feel on the trail.

@gabbatron- sorry, 142+ wheels can not be converted to standard 142.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    @14EVOHT- All Roval Traverse wheels (both OEM and AM) went to 24/28H spoke counts for MY15. These wheels use a significantly wider rim which helps allow for the lower spoke count. The durability is great and the benefits of the wider rims (improved tire, profile, ability to run lower pressure for increased traction without burping) are things you can really feel on the trail.
    Oops... I guess I should of counted the spokes before I started typing.
    I was quoting the info listed on the spec page for my bike.
    Thanks for the updated info

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hi Joe,

I recently purchased a pair of 2014 Roval Control SL rims with the 24 spokes in the front wheel. This set has the small hubs. The issue I am having is this, the front wheel is tight on the bearings when the thru axle is tightened. Also, I pulled the bearings and I noticed that the bearings have different color dust seals, one side of each bearing is black, while the other side is brown. (brown sides pointing outward) They both say Japan on each side, but I have never seen a bearing with different color dust seals? Is this stock from Roval? I am thinking they are not. Do you have the part number for the bearings for this particular wheel? Or, do you have the bearing specs?

I have attached a picture of the hub.

Scott

Attachment 957447Roval questions?-get-attachment.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    toyotatacomaTRD- technically the plugs for the carbon rims will not work with the alloy rims since the rim bed thicknesses are different, so we can't guarantee it will seal every time. The reason your rim strip was folded is due to incorrect installation at the factory, please return to the dealer and have them warrantee this for you. I've seen it before and we've made a lot of progress in fixing this, but still some do slip through production. 31mm rim strip is the correct width, and here's why- your rim is considered 29mm because the measurement is taken at the top of the sidewall, where there is a thin bead of material, narrowing the measurement by 1mm. If you measure the width down where the bead is, the width is actually 30mm, and then you have to account for the fact that the rim strip needs to stretch down into the rim bed, so it needs to be slightly wider than the measured width. This way when you install the rim strip correctly, each edge will be just at the edge of each rim sidewall. hope this makes sense, but let me know if you have any other questions.
    My LBS let me know that the Roval Tape is out of stock and can't be ordered. So, I guess I won't be setting these up as tubeless. Any other suggestions?

Armature speller
    Sep 2004

Roval questions?

Quote Originally Posted by toyotatacomaTRD View Post
    My LBS let me know that the Roval Tape is out of stock and can't be ordered. So, I guess I won't be setting these up as tubeless. Any other suggestions?
    Do they have any other brand tape in stock?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Do they have any other brand tape in stock?
    There isn't anything else that is recommended for the Fatties.. 29mm wide. The widest at the lbs is 25. Which is 6mm narrower than what roval Joe recommended.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    can I buy the fattie SL rim plugs and will they fit the roval fattie ally wheels

Armature speller
    Sep 2004

Roval questions?

Quote Originally Posted by jmowatt View Post
    can I buy the fattie SL rim plugs and will they fit the roval fattie ally wheels
    toyotatacomaTRD- technically the plugs for the carbon rims will not work with the alloy rims since the rim bed thicknesses are different, so we can't guarantee it will seal every time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    @jmowatt - NordieBoy has you handled here.

@toyotatacoma TRD - PM'd

@scottiemac- hold tight, I should have that spec for you by the EOD, sorry for the delay.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    @scottiemac - here are the part numbers for the bearings (Ball bearing 6803 Ø17/26x5mm) we spec for that wheel:

SBC PN- S140600001

DT PN- HSBXXX00N1548S

If you have a minute send over a picture of the bearings you pulled.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    @scottiemac - here are the part numbers for the bearings (Ball bearing 6803 Ø17/26x5mm) we spec for that wheel:

SBC PN- S140600001

DT PN- HSBXXX00N1548S

If you have a minute send over a picture of the bearings you pulled.
    I will try to get you some tomorrow. I bought the wheels second hand and I am pretty positive they are wrong. Thank you so much for the help with the part numbers.

Scottie

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast