Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021
Results 2,001 to 2,011 of 2011
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzo7 View Post
    Hey, Special.

Roval Joe hasn't been active in the forum for a while. I sent that same question to Specialized Rider Care a few months ago, and this is the information that they provided for my Roval Traverse 29 alloy wheelset, non-Boost.

Spoke Lengths. They are all Roval Super Comp Straight-Pull Spokes

FDS:2.0mmx285mm

FNDS: 2.0mmx303mm

RDS: 2.0mmx303mm

RNDS: 2.0mmx305mm*

I hope that this helps you.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the info. I have boost, but that should not be a problem, no?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Special18 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I have boost, but that should not be a problem, no?
    If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

I would expect Boost to have slightly longer spokes. As I understand it, each flange is 3 mm farther out when compared to a non-Boost hub, so it would require longer spokes, though the difference is likely to be around 2 mm or so.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Hello, although I see that this thread is older, I have some issues / questions about my carbon Roval wheels. My rear wheel recently required a rebuild due to broken spokes resulting from galvanic corrosion of almost all the nipples. I had no idea this was occurring until my mechanic showed it to me. I was surprised and disappointed this was happening on such a high end wheelset.

My concern is now the front wheel. I have raced and plan to continue racing this bike. My mechanic changed all the nipples on the rear wheel to brass. He mentioned it would not be covered under warranty and I'm wondering now if I should go after the front.

As I am now becoming aware that this has been an issue in the past, I'm wondering why is it still happening??? These wheels were purchased in 2016 and I live on Long Island NY but travel to NC, and NJ to ride / race. Should I contact Specialized for further instruction? Any info is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It's an issue with all wheels. Carbon and aluminum are dissimilar and you're going to get corrosion of the nipples. This will accelerate if they get wet often.

Sealant like Stan's seeping into the rim and getting on the nipple will also make this worse.

Carbon wheels are really durable. I use to never get more than a season or so out of some Stan's rims. Now you get many years of use on a good set of carbon wheels. So, a rebuild after 3 seasons on your wheels is totally reasonable.

I've had sets of Roval carbons for a LONG time. Rebuild them every 3 years or so and they keep on chugging.

Your use of brass will result in a slower corrosion rate.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    It's an issue with all wheels. Carbon and aluminum are dissimilar and you're going to get corrosion of the nipples. This will accelerate if they get wet often.

Sealant like Stan's seeping into the rim and getting on the nipple will also make this worse.

Carbon wheels are really durable. I use to never get more than a season or so out of some Stan's rims. Now you get many years of use on a good set of carbon wheels. So, a rebuild after 3 seasons on your wheels is totally reasonable.

I've had sets of Roval carbons for a LONG time. Rebuild them every 3 years or so and they keep on chugging.

Your use of brass will result in a slower corrosion rate.
    Thanks for the info, I guess I have a front rebuild coming. I just wish I knew about this issue before I started just popping spokes. Knowledge is power.

just ride
    Oct 2006
    Hi Roval Joe,

(Your inbox is full)

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ro...b-148/p/132363

Is the wheelset I have on my 2019 Expert 27.5 and I would like to switch out the hub to Onyx with 28h. Can you please advise which spoke and spoke length to use?

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjay View Post
    Hi Roval Joe,

(Your inbox is full)

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ro...b-148/p/132363

Is the wheelset I have on my 2019 Expert 27.5 and I would like to switch out the hub to Onyx with 28h. Can you please advise which spoke and spoke length to use?

Thank you.
    Roval Joe hasn't been on in a while. Send an email to Specialized Rider Care or to Roval's customer service. They'll give you a hand

mtbr member
    I can offer an extended review on the Roval Traverse 27.5 Boost alloy Wheel set.

They came on a 2017 Rocky Mountain Slayer i purchased second hand but in as new condition.

The guy had build the Slayer up as a custom build from a shop that also sold specialized.

About me.

I've been riding for 24 years and weigh 76kg. Raced XC locally and nationally for 8 years then DH for another 8 years with some 12 and 24 hours and a bunch of epic distance rides in between.

Currently I ride all mountain and dh tracks with a bent towards black diamond plus technical natural trails. If its tech to a point of not knowing if its possible, thats what love to ride. The more tech the better. The bike park is typically too groomed for my liking and i seek out rediculous rooty rocky tech on unused old hiking trails.

I came off a 26' blur with orginal Enve carbon wheels.

Immediately i noticed the lack of turning precision the Rovals had. It was night and day different. Carbon 26' in wheels are rock sold point and shoot. Roval 27.5" i had to adjust my technque to account for wheel flex in the corners.

I miss the carbon wheels and the precision they had. The alloy Rovals suck by comparision. Wondering if i was beeing unfair on the Rovals comparing them with 26" carbon I have ridden buddies 27.5" and 29" bikes with carbon builds, Light bicycle, Enve and Bontrager. All have that crispy turn in response I miss from the carbon 26" hoops.

After getting the bike I sent it too the bike shop for the wheels to be trued. My wheel building guy didnt like the straight laced spokes for truing as it was harder to hold the spokes.

The rear wheel could not take the punishment of my regular back diamond runs going out of true on a weekly basis. I came to the conclusion the spokes were too thin. After a misshap with derrailiur in the spokes I got the rear wheel build up with a thick guage spoke. That stopped the rear wheel going out of true and i was away laughing with a wheel set that worked but not as crisp as a carbon wheel set.

These wheels are light for an am wheel set and definetly improve the rolling resistance, weight climbing of the bike. I guess the trade off is the reduction in stiffness. I do enjoy the fact that i have a 30 165/180mm bike thats only 29 pd!.....

Any way roll on 6 months and the wheels are holding up to some unrelenting abuse. I rode Wiaroa gorge for 3 days solid on 3c Exo minions
    Smashing head long into rock after rock with a total 50000 Feet of vertical descenting and got one dent in the rear rim. By comparison A buddy on a brand new Trek Slash had half a dozen dents over the weekend.
    So the rim its self is strong and and withstand some abuse.

My conclusion is that these a a good choice for lighter weight dudes riding general AM tracks. Or dudes wanting to build a light spec AM build. Heavier or more agressive dudes will find them a little light weight and flexy for their service. Guys who like carbon for stiffness. Stay with the carbon!......

Roval questions?-img_20180422_114432.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    The alloy rovals compared to the Carbon SL Rovals, isn't even fair. Nowhere near same rim.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Hi everyone.
    I got a Roval Traverse (https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ro...=239022-132448) recently.
    It came with a front 15mm thru end-cap, but I want to change it to QR end-cap. Anyone has the correct part number of the QR adaptor?
    Follow attached the front hub type and the current end-cap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roval questions?-20190106_151453.jpg  

Roval questions?-20190106_151652.jpg  

mtbr member
    Bring back the dead here.
    I have just purchased a 29er traverse wheel with 142+ written on the hub. No matter how I configure it with different end caps and freehubs etc. When I tighten it down the freehub drags, almost like I do not have the axle sleeve under the ratchets in.
    Are these 142+ really only compatible with 142+ frames?
    I am trying to put this in my 2018 Carbon Crux frame.

THANNKS
    Larry Miller-
    www.laxon3.tumblr.com

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021