Roval questions? - Page 11- Mtbr.com
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Results 2,001 to 2,053 of 2053
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzo7 View Post
    Hey, Special.

Roval Joe hasn't been active in the forum for a while. I sent that same question to Specialized Rider Care a few months ago, and this is the information that they provided for my Roval Traverse 29 alloy wheelset, non-Boost.

Spoke Lengths. They are all Roval Super Comp Straight-Pull Spokes

FDS:2.0mmx285mm

FNDS: 2.0mmx303mm

RDS: 2.0mmx303mm

RNDS: 2.0mmx305mm*

I hope that this helps you.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the info. I have boost, but that should not be a problem, no?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Special18 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I have boost, but that should not be a problem, no?
    If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

I would expect Boost to have slightly longer spokes. As I understand it, each flange is 3 mm farther out when compared to a non-Boost hub, so it would require longer spokes, though the difference is likely to be around 2 mm or so.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Hello, although I see that this thread is older, I have some issues / questions about my carbon Roval wheels. My rear wheel recently required a rebuild due to broken spokes resulting from galvanic corrosion of almost all the nipples. I had no idea this was occurring until my mechanic showed it to me. I was surprised and disappointed this was happening on such a high end wheelset.

My concern is now the front wheel. I have raced and plan to continue racing this bike. My mechanic changed all the nipples on the rear wheel to brass. He mentioned it would not be covered under warranty and I'm wondering now if I should go after the front.

As I am now becoming aware that this has been an issue in the past, I'm wondering why is it still happening??? These wheels were purchased in 2016 and I live on Long Island NY but travel to NC, and NJ to ride / race. Should I contact Specialized for further instruction? Any info is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It's an issue with all wheels. Carbon and aluminum are dissimilar and you're going to get corrosion of the nipples. This will accelerate if they get wet often.

Sealant like Stan's seeping into the rim and getting on the nipple will also make this worse.

Carbon wheels are really durable. I use to never get more than a season or so out of some Stan's rims. Now you get many years of use on a good set of carbon wheels. So, a rebuild after 3 seasons on your wheels is totally reasonable.

I've had sets of Roval carbons for a LONG time. Rebuild them every 3 years or so and they keep on chugging.

Your use of brass will result in a slower corrosion rate.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    It's an issue with all wheels. Carbon and aluminum are dissimilar and you're going to get corrosion of the nipples. This will accelerate if they get wet often.

Sealant like Stan's seeping into the rim and getting on the nipple will also make this worse.

Carbon wheels are really durable. I use to never get more than a season or so out of some Stan's rims. Now you get many years of use on a good set of carbon wheels. So, a rebuild after 3 seasons on your wheels is totally reasonable.

I've had sets of Roval carbons for a LONG time. Rebuild them every 3 years or so and they keep on chugging.

Your use of brass will result in a slower corrosion rate.
    Thanks for the info, I guess I have a front rebuild coming. I just wish I knew about this issue before I started just popping spokes. Knowledge is power.

just ride
    Oct 2006
    Hi Roval Joe,

(Your inbox is full)

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ro...b-148/p/132363

Is the wheelset I have on my 2019 Expert 27.5 and I would like to switch out the hub to Onyx with 28h. Can you please advise which spoke and spoke length to use?

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjay View Post
    Hi Roval Joe,

(Your inbox is full)

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ro...b-148/p/132363

Is the wheelset I have on my 2019 Expert 27.5 and I would like to switch out the hub to Onyx with 28h. Can you please advise which spoke and spoke length to use?

Thank you.
    Roval Joe hasn't been on in a while. Send an email to Specialized Rider Care or to Roval's customer service. They'll give you a hand

mtbr member
    I can offer an extended review on the Roval Traverse 27.5 Boost alloy Wheel set.

They came on a 2017 Rocky Mountain Slayer i purchased second hand but in as new condition.

The guy had build the Slayer up as a custom build from a shop that also sold specialized.

About me.

I've been riding for 24 years and weigh 76kg. Raced XC locally and nationally for 8 years then DH for another 8 years with some 12 and 24 hours and a bunch of epic distance rides in between.

Currently I ride all mountain and dh tracks with a bent towards black diamond plus technical natural trails. If its tech to a point of not knowing if its possible, thats what love to ride. The more tech the better. The bike park is typically too groomed for my liking and i seek out rediculous rooty rocky tech on unused old hiking trails.

I came off a 26' blur with orginal Enve carbon wheels.

Immediately i noticed the lack of turning precision the Rovals had. It was night and day different. Carbon 26' in wheels are rock sold point and shoot. Roval 27.5" i had to adjust my technque to account for wheel flex in the corners.

I miss the carbon wheels and the precision they had. The alloy Rovals suck by comparision. Wondering if i was beeing unfair on the Rovals comparing them with 26" carbon I have ridden buddies 27.5" and 29" bikes with carbon builds, Light bicycle, Enve and Bontrager. All have that crispy turn in response I miss from the carbon 26" hoops.

After getting the bike I sent it too the bike shop for the wheels to be trued. My wheel building guy didnt like the straight laced spokes for truing as it was harder to hold the spokes.

The rear wheel could not take the punishment of my regular back diamond runs going out of true on a weekly basis. I came to the conclusion the spokes were too thin. After a misshap with derrailiur in the spokes I got the rear wheel build up with a thick guage spoke. That stopped the rear wheel going out of true and i was away laughing with a wheel set that worked but not as crisp as a carbon wheel set.

These wheels are light for an am wheel set and definetly improve the rolling resistance, weight climbing of the bike. I guess the trade off is the reduction in stiffness. I do enjoy the fact that i have a 30 165/180mm bike thats only 29 pd!.....

Any way roll on 6 months and the wheels are holding up to some unrelenting abuse. I rode Wiaroa gorge for 3 days solid on 3c Exo minions
    Smashing head long into rock after rock with a total 50000 Feet of vertical descenting and got one dent in the rear rim. By comparison A buddy on a brand new Trek Slash had half a dozen dents over the weekend.
    So the rim its self is strong and and withstand some abuse.

My conclusion is that these a a good choice for lighter weight dudes riding general AM tracks. Or dudes wanting to build a light spec AM build. Heavier or more agressive dudes will find them a little light weight and flexy for their service. Guys who like carbon for stiffness. Stay with the carbon!......

Roval questions?-img_20180422_114432.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    The alloy rovals compared to the Carbon SL Rovals, isn't even fair. Nowhere near same rim.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Hi everyone.
    I got a Roval Traverse (https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ro...=239022-132448) recently.
    It came with a front 15mm thru end-cap, but I want to change it to QR end-cap. Anyone has the correct part number of the QR adaptor?
    Follow attached the front hub type and the current end-cap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roval questions?-20190106_151453.jpg  

Roval questions?-20190106_151652.jpg  

mtbr member
    Bring back the dead here.
    I have just purchased a 29er traverse wheel with 142+ written on the hub. No matter how I configure it with different end caps and freehubs etc. When I tighten it down the freehub drags, almost like I do not have the axle sleeve under the ratchets in.
    Are these 142+ really only compatible with 142+ frames?
    I am trying to put this in my 2018 Carbon Crux frame.

THANNKS
    Larry Miller-
    www.laxon3.tumblr.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Does anyone knows which bearings are in Roval Control SL 148 hubs. When I removed endcap from rear hub bearing has no numbers on it, didn't try to remove front endcaps.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dturcic View Post
    Does anyone knows which bearings are in Roval Control SL 148 hubs. When I removed endcap from rear hub bearing has no numbers on it, didn't try to remove front endcaps.

Thanks.
    Use some vernier callipers to measure ID and OD and width.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by link1896 View Post
    Use some vernier callipers to measure ID and OD and width.
    Thanks but I don't want to dissemble hubs just to measure bearings dimension. It's much easier to know info, and to exchange bearings when needed...

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Does anyone know if the older Traverse SL Fattie 650Bs (pre-boost) are exchangeable between XD and shimano drivers?

Is it just DT freehub driver I need?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
    Does anyone know if the older Traverse SL Fattie 650Bs (pre-boost) are exchangeable between XD and shimano drivers?

correct, any dt freehub will work.

mtbr member
    I was looking at a new (2019 version) set of Roval Traverse Carbon 27.5 wheels at my LBS. I noticed that there are tiny burs on both sides of the inside, vertical lip of the rim; where the tire bead will sit. There was a couple that protruded into the rim space about 2mm. The burs are at about 9Ē intervals all the way around the rim. Is this normal? I didnít get any pictures.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hi everyone. Did not found answer: which bearing type is suite for front hub on Roval Control SL wheels aboard Specialized S-Works Epic WC 2014 (https://www.specialized.com/ru/ru/s-...154220-49814)? 6802, 6902, other?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Does anyone know what width rim tape I need for the 27.5" Roval Traverse SL fattie? 30mm internal. Rims kept leaking and I beat up the stock rim strip removing the tires.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    What rim tape is everyone using? Just tried 30mm stans on the Roval Traverse SL Fattie and it wouldn't stick, and wouldn't go down smooth (wrinkles and bubbles everywhere). Waste of $20 but really want to get my wheel going

mtbr member
    What rim tape is everyone using? Just tried 30mm stans on the Roval Traverse SL Fattie and it wouldn't stick, and wouldn't go down smooth (wrinkles and bubbles everywhere). Waste of $20 but really want to get my wheel going
    I used DT Swiss 32mm tape on my Roval Carbon Traverse set. It wasn't the smoothest installation of the tape on the second layer. But the wrinkles and bubbles did smooth out after about 12 hours with a tube installed and inflated to 40psi. I used two layers of tape at first and was able to mount the Butcher back on the front. However, I had to remove a layer from the rear because I could not mount the Maxxis Aggressor without a tire lever (I don't like using tire levers) even with using slightly soapy water on the beads. In the end they both aired up with a basic floor pump one handed.

I'm by no means an wheel expert but I think the step type transition from the bead to the center trough make the tape installation challenging. Other rims I see in the videos have a smoother, curved transition. Maybe the 30mm would have been a better tape width? You have to be spot on with laying down the tape or it will ride up on the rim wall. With that said, the tires have sealed up fine and are holding air.

mtbr member
    @Roval Joe

Hello, I own a bicycle shop and a customer brought in a specialized bike with a roval control 29 wheelset. The rear hub is a DT 360. Could you tell me what rim is used on this wheel set? This looks like the wheel in question: https://rovalcomponents.com/products/roval-control-29 If rim is not going to be available to purchase, could you please tell me the ERD, Inside width and Outside width so I can order a similar rim?

Thanks for the time

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBikeStore View Post
    @Roval Joe

Hello, I own a bicycle shop and a customer brought in a specialized bike with a roval control 29 wheelset. The rear hub is a DT 360. Could you tell me what rim is used on this wheel set? This looks like the wheel in question: https://rovalcomponents.com/products/roval-control-29 If rim is not going to be available to purchase, could you please tell me the ERD, Inside width and Outside width so I can order a similar rim?

Thanks for the time
    It's been quite a while since Roval Joe was last here, man. I'd recommend sending an email to [email protected]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzo7 View Post
    It's been quite a while since Roval Joe was last here, man. I'd recommend sending an email to [email protected]

Thanks I called ridercare and left a message and also emailed rovalcomponents as well, I was hoping for a quicker response. I sent my emails more than 24 hous ago.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Understood

Have you tried their Instagram account? Roval has a very active account, and may be able to give you a prompt response.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Anyone have experience hearing back from Roval though email? I need to find out the ERD for Traverse carbon rims that come on the 2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29 as I plan to upgrade the rear hub. I don't have an Instagram account and have no plans to get one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodzilla View Post
    Anyone have experience hearing back from Roval though email? I need to find out the ERD .... I don't have an Instagram account and have no plans to get one.
    I waited all week for a reply from either Roval or Specialized and neither company has bothered to supply any information or even a reply. I agree with rodzilla, I should not need to sign up for an account with Instagram to receive basic customer service.

ridercare, heh!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    They donít care. Never have. Evil corporate company that only wants to sell bikes and offer sfa support. Ask anyone with a brain shock thatís more then 4 years old what support is like.

mtbr member
    [email protected]

Give this one a try. I hope they'll help you all out. I've actually had excellent experiences when I've needed support from them through either email.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have a set of 650b 2017 Traverse SLs here with bead bearings front and rear. Does anyone have a list of bearings needed to get them back to life?

I will be disassembling the caps and measuring the bearings with calipers, but to be sure it would be nice to have a confirmation from someone that knows.

mtbr member
    Message I sent to [email protected]

Thanks for the time
    Here is the reply that I received 8 days later:

"Hey Mike

I am sorry but we do not sell the rims separate nor do we have info on ERD or other specifics on our wheels as we want them built in house for quality control reasons.

Have a great day

-Rob"

So I took the customer's tire off (tubeless), removed a couple of spokes and used my DT spoke calculation poster and determined the ERD. Then I reinstalled the spokes and tried to true the guys janky rim so he could race on it while awaiting the new hoop, then reinstalled his tire.

Thanks for wasting about an hour of my time Specialized!

So here is the data for the wheel listed above:
    ERD: 606
    Inside: 22mm
    Outside 26mm

The WTB i23 KOM Light Rim has the same profile, it is just slightly wider. The WTB rim has a 604 ERD and it needs about 1mm shorter spokes.

If this helps anyone to avoid buying anything from Specialized than that is a big plus in my book!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Anybody using new alloy Roval Control 148 29 wheels?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I waited all week for a reply from either Roval or Specialized and neither company has bothered to supply any information or even a reply. I agree with rodzilla, I should not need to sign up for an account with Instagram to receive basic customer service.

ridercare, heh!
    Got a reply last week from both Specialized and Roval. After I had to send a second email to both asking the same question. Long story short, the responses were "Rovals are built as system, warranty is voided if you change hub and measure the hubs yourself." I am not a fan of this type of customer service or lack there of. I get that they are a business, it is what it is, but with the amount of money we spend on these products I feel like Roval or Specialized could be a little more consumer friendly here. But the good thing is it helped me to decide to sell my wheels. I'd rather build a set with my local LBS where I can get support and know that I can find the parts I need because I actually know what all the parts are. Live and learn.

mtbr member
    My 2017 Specialized Enduro S-Works 650b came with Roval Traverse SL 650 wheels. The rear wheel is laced to a 28h, 148mm Roval Traverse SL hub. I need to replace a few spokes on the rear wheel.

Can any fellow Roval owners answer the following questions?

What spoke lengths do I need for the drive and non-drive sides?
    What type of nipple should be used?
    What tension should the drive an non-drive spokes have?

If anyone can give me part numbers I'd that would be great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankRizzo View Post
    My 2017 Specialized Enduro S-Works 650b came with Roval Traverse SL 650 wheels. The rear wheel is laced to a 28h, 148mm Roval Traverse SL hub. I need to replace a few spokes on the rear wheel.

Can any fellow Roval owners answer the following questions?

What spoke lengths do I need for the drive and non-drive sides?
    What type of nipple should be used?
    What tension should the drive an non-drive spokes have?

If anyone can give me part numbers I'd that would be great.
    Frank,

I have the same questions in right now to Rider Care at Specialized and with Roval Customer Care. I have the same wheels but mine is a 6fattie with 38mm I.D. Traverse Carbons. Are your hubs straight pull or J-Hook Style? Are your front hubs 24 spoke or 28? I will share whatever answers I get back in the next week.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meeners View Post
    Frank,

I have the same questions in right now to Rider Care at Specialized and with Roval Customer Care. I have the same wheels but mine is a 6fattie with 38mm I.D. Traverse Carbons. Are your hubs straight pull or J-Hook Style? Are your front hubs 24 spoke or 28? I will share whatever answers I get back in the next week.
    My spokes are straight pull on both wheels. The front hub has 24 spokes with 8 on the right side in a radial pattern and 16 on the left (disc) side in a regular-laced pattern.

This was the info I got from Roval about my rear wheel:

S154600005 - DT Swiss Revolution Straight-Pull 2.0/1.5/2.0MM X 282MM - rear non-driveside

S124600045 - DT Swiss Revolution Straight-Pull 2.0x1.5MM, 14G x 281MM - rear driveside

S2027005 - DT SWISS PROLOCK ALLOY HEX 2.0MM(14G)X14MM (nipples)

mtbr member
    My spokes are straight pull on both wheels. The front hub has 24 spokes with 8 on the right side in a radial pattern and 16 on the left (disc) side in a regular-laced pattern.

This was the info I got from Roval about my rear wheel:

S154600005 - DT Swiss Revolution Straight-Pull 2.0/1.5/2.0MM X 282MM - rear non-driveside

S124600045 - DT Swiss Revolution Straight-Pull 2.0x1.5MM, 14G x 281MM - rear driveside

S2027005 - DT SWISS PROLOCK ALLOY HEX 2.0MM(14G)X14MM (nipples)
    Do you have the 38mm I.D. or the 30mm I.D. ?

mtbr member
    Do you have the 38mm I.D. or the 30mm I.D. ?
    You mean the inner width? 30mm according to the spec.

mtbr member
    You mean the inner width? 30mm according to the spec.
    Yep. Dang, I was hoping 38. Haven't heard back yet from anyone, I was hoping lengths would be the same. Did they send you any specs on the front wheel? Unfortunately, that's the one that I have broken spokes on.

mtbr member
    Yep. Dang, I was hoping 38. Haven't heard back yet from anyone, I was hoping lengths would be the same. Did they send you any specs on the front wheel? Unfortunately, that's the one that I have broken spokes on.
    No, I only asked about the rear as the front is still solid.

mtbr member
    No, I only asked about the rear as the front is still solid.
    No worries. They just got back to me today! This is for the 650b Rival Traverse 38's

Rear Non-Drive: S154600005 DT Swiss REVOLUTION STRAIGHT-PULL 2.0/1.5/2.0mm X 282mm length

Rear Driveside: S134600002 DT Swiss REVOLUTION STRAIGHT-PULL 2.0-1.5-2.0mm 14G X 280mm length

Front Driveside: S2026009 DT REVOLUTION STRAIGHT-PULL 2.0X1.5mm 14G 258mm length

Front Non-Drive: S114600024 DT ROVAL REVOLUTION STRAIGHT-PULL 2.0/1.5mm 14G 274mm

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I need information regarding boostinator (wolftooth) kit for traverse SL carbon 27.5.
    Re dish needed?? These wheels I'm thinking of buying, they're new, guessing 2016/17???
    Part numbers etc?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by frana View Post
    I need information regarding boostinator (wolftooth) kit for traverse SL carbon 27.5.
    Re dish needed?? These wheels I'm thinking of buying, they're new, guessing 2016/17???
    Part numbers etc?
    You get to decide whether you want to buy a boost adapter kit that that requires redish or not. If you buy a wollftooth one, it will. I'm not aware if the specialized ones are compatible with the boostinator, but the universal kits do not require re-dishing, so those are my personal choice.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Roval Joe????

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Roval Joe???

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Anyone know the spoke tension for Roval Traverse Carbon 29, hookless carbon, 30mm inner width, 24/28h wheels (came on my 2018 Camber Expert)?

Cheers

b

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redbruce View Post
    Anyone know the spoke tension for Roval Traverse Carbon 29, hookless carbon, 30mm inner width, 24/28h wheels (came on my 2018 Camber Expert)?

Cheers

b
    Quality Control form for my Roval Traverse SL 29 wheelset.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Any chance I can get a replacement rim for rear alloy Roval Traverse 29 that came on 2019 Enduro?
    Also would like to replace Torque caps on the front to the regular as I like Fox forks better.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robik View Post
    Any chance I can get a replacement rim for rear alloy Roval Traverse 29 that came on 2019 Enduro?
    Also would like to replace Torque caps on the front to the regular as I like Fox forks better.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    You'd need your local Specialized shop to order the rim for you.

No idea on the Torque Caps. Perhaps Amaincycling can help you.

mtbr member
    May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    correct, any dt freehub will work.
    I got the new microspline for 12 speed and it's not working.

Significant drag if I tighten it down just a little.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Just tried to fit my control SL wheels into a new bike with fox 34 fork. The wheel spins fine until I tighten the thru axle then it stops spinning, obviously pressing against the bearing? Am I missing something? Previous bike had a 32 stepcast and it worked fine.
    Thank you!

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
    2018 Epic

Procaliber- sold
    ASR-C- sold
    ARC Carbon- sold
    SB-95C- play bike- sold

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Roval questions?

Check to make sure the spacing is the same on both forks. Are they both Boost forks with a Boost wheel set or is the wheel set the older standard many Roval used to be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Workin for the weekend!
    Not sure how many others have this issue, but it caught me by surprise... My (2016?) Roval Traverse SLs had a noise when in the stand, sounded like something tumbling around in the tire. Turned out to be debris in the wheel.

Iíve read about nipple corrosion, which got me concerned. Turns out it was sealant that found its way into the wheel mixing with the carbon dust from the mfg process. The dust coagulated into a ball and began to make that rattle sound inside the wheel.

I removed the valve, shook out as much of the material as I could, using a pick to brake up the larger balls of crud so they would fall out. In the end, there was 3/4 of an Ounce of junk that came out. I wanted to get this info into this thread for others...

Wheels are silent again, going on 4 years old, no problems at all...
    Todd :thumbsup:

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011