mtbr member
    May 2018

Roval Control SL 29 and Fox step cast 32 incompatible ?

Roval Control SL 29 and Fox step cast 32 incompatible ?-20180504_171657_hdr.jpg

Has anyone encountered such a situation?
    I have DT Roval wheels (front axle 100x15), I bought a fork FOX 32 SC (2019, axis 100x15) and when I screw the wheel is the collar of the hub rests on the fork - the wheel does not spin

The other side of the hub (from the brake disc) - here is no problem. Is it possible to solve it somehow?

On the photo you can see that the wheel is not yet tightened and the hub touches the fork.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roval Control SL 29 and Fox step cast 32 incompatible ?-20180504_171657_hdr.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    On the older roval wheels you need to buy a boost sc fork. Then use the boost adapters on your wheel.

Barely in control
    oh man that sucks. I would do what peabody said.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    oh man that sucks. I would do what peabody said.
    Buy an entirely new fork? Holy ****!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    The problem is that the fork already bought, cut - I never thought that there would be a problem with the hub ...

Barely in control
    Then you have to get a new hub and spokes and rebuild the wheel. Fortunately, 15x110 hubs are cheap.

Or you can get the dremel out and make that fork clear your hub. But then it's definitely your fork.

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Quote Originally Posted by alientm View Post
    The problem is that the fork already bought, cut - I never thought that there would be a problem with the hub ...

Sell, eat the loss, get new compatible fork, be happy.
    It ain't supposed to be easy.

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Can you possibly add a mm or 2 spacer? Give it a try...you could possibly lean out the end cap on the other side and still be within lateral movement tolerances of the brake caliper on the rotor

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I am just testing 2 different solutions with a 2mm washer, it's good but not perfect, but with such a home solution it will probably be the cheapest and the fastest solution.

Later I will make a photo of what it looks like.

Land of the 230+
    It looks like its really close to clearing. If it were me, Id grind it, no question about it.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    It looks like its really close to clearing. If it were me, Id grind it, no question about it.
    I would too. I'd grind down the cover cap on the hub.

I don't like the idea of pushing washers in there because the hub bearings and fork seals will be side loaded- a recipe for eventual failure. Might make the fork sticky too.

Actually, i'd pitch the proprietary wheels. Not enough spokes, no certainty of being able to get replacement parts in a couple years. Not fitting is just the icing on the cake.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I made 2 spacers, both should be OK.

This 2.5mm is from an old bearing from this hub, this 2mm fits on a 15mm axle. The wheel spins lightly, the fork seems to be working properly.

I do not know which spacers can be better, if none of them I think about replacing the hub.

Roval Control SL 29 and Fox step cast 32 incompatible ?-20180507_211308_hdr.jpg
    Roval Control SL 29 and Fox step cast 32 incompatible ?-20180507_211044_hdr.jpg
    Roval Control SL 29 and Fox step cast 32 incompatible ?-20180507_210629_hdr.jpg
    Roval Control SL 29 and Fox step cast 32 incompatible ?-20180507_211444_hdr.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by alientm View Post
    I made 2 spacers, both should be OK.

This 2.5mm is from an old bearing from this hub, this 2mm fits on a 15mm axle. The wheel spins lightly, the fork seems to be working properly.

I do not know which spacers can be better, if none of them I think about replacing the hub.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180507_211308_HDR.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	1196977

Name:	20180507_211044_HDR.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	1196981

Name:	20180507_210629_HDR.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	1196982

Name:	20180507_211444_HDR.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	1196983
    Have you noticed any problems with this modification?

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by dingz
    Have you noticed any problems with this modification?

I still use this 2mm washer on the axle, in total now has about 1.5mm. I do not notice any problems, I use the bicycle on amateur races - the solution satisfies me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thats great. Will apply this on mine...

Can you send me pictures on your final solution if that okay.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by dingz View Post
    Thats great. Will apply this on mine...

Can you send me pictures on your final solution if that okay.

Thanks in advance.

The solution is not perfect, more dust and dirt gets under the cap, probably the bearing will wear out faster. Well, but it is the cheapest solution that I could apply.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The guy who sold me my roval controls had same issue although my hub is the roval 240s, not carbon. It has some paint missing where it rubbed on the fork. Weird that they built a fork that is not compatible with popular wheels

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoise View Post
    The guy who sold me my roval controls had same issue although my hub is the roval 240s, not carbon. It has some paint missing where it rubbed on the fork. Weird that they built a fork that is not compatible with popular wheels
    This is why you don't buy Specialized.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    This is why you don't buy Specialized.
    Or this is why you don't buy fox stepcast? The roval wheels work fine on any other fox or rock shox fork since 15x100 came out. The hub is just a rebranded DT 240s. I think it's the fork that's a bit quirky. It's true that specialized loves proprietary designs

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoise View Post
    Or this is why you don't buy fox stepcast? The roval wheels work fine on any other fox or rock shox fork since 15x100 came out. The hub is just a rebranded DT 240s. I think it's the fork that's a bit quirky. It's true that specialized loves proprietary designs
    Hell if I know, I have two stepcast forks and they work fine in my non-specialized wheels. DT Swiss and Shimano hubs.

mtbr member
    The roval wheels may have DTswiss internals, but the outer casting of the hub is unique to roval/specialized. I have both a boost 32 SC and non boost 32 SC and there are no issues with DTswiss and stans wheels/hubs. No even close to a concern. This is 100% due to the way roval created their outer hub and those radial spokes.

The best solution is probably that spacer or little filing on the fork. File the fork smoothly with no sharp edges and I bet all will be fine. Also consider cast tolerances on the forks could be factor. Not every fork is perfect so some may be closer than others.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.