Rock Razor vs ethirteen S/S?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rock Razor vs ethirteen S/S?

Anybody have experience on both of these?

I have the e13 semi-slick and love the tread pattern and profile but they are extremely hard to get on and off the rim (used on two different wheel sets). When swapping in to the new wheelset I had to use two tire levers side by side to get it on the rim. I can get Maxxis tires off and on with no levers at all. The sidewalls are also porous (lose about 3-4 psi/day).

I like how the e13 S/S relatively more aggressive center tread compared to a lot of semi-slicks still has decent climbing and braking traction. The Rock Razor looks to be the closest semi-slick. Anyone compare the two? How easily does the Rock Razor mount up?

wafflemaster
    Jan 2004
    For me RR side knobs didn't last long in SoCal, a few tore off. Mounts & seals easy on Nox but can't remember if I used a lever for the last bit. On a Specialized Slaughter Grid now, similar tread pattern, same trails & holds up.
    wafflemaster!

mtbr member
    Was going to suggest the slaughter a more apples comparison, though I've never run it. Infact both of e-13's latest tires resemble specialized quite a bit, the other being the new Butcher. I've only run the Eliminator for a recent Spesh tire. I liked the casing, weight, and volume a lot but didn't think the tread pattern did anything exceptional. With that I suspect the tech in rubber & casing plus quality control is superior to the latest e-13 stuff. I plan to try a Butcher up front next season.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    The Slaughter looks like a good option also. The center tread does look similar to the e13 with alternating rows of 2 and 4 instead of all rows of 4.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Have you considered the Minion SS? They have been holding up surprisingly well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkosan View Post
    Have you considered the Minion SS? They have been holding up surprisingly well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah but the center knobs look so small. The e13 has pretty decent climbing and braking traction. It's basically an XC tire in the center and a DH tire when you lean it over. The Minion SS looks much more slick in the center.

I'm with stupid
    Ran pretty much all the popular semislicks and I find the slaughter to be the best all around one that does not square off to much or have the knobs get ripped off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Ran pretty much all the popular semislicks and I find the slaughter to be the best all around one that does not square off to much or have the knobs get ripped off.
    Thanks, the Slaughter seems to be the front runner.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I really like the Rock Razor. It spins up so fast and the climbing traction is very good for what it is.
    Schwalbe 2.35s are shaped better on more narrow rims imo. 24-29mm ID.
    I do get more than my usual amount of punctures in the center of the tread with that tire.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The Rock Razor in SnakeSkin is incredibly fragile. You need to run in in SuperGravity casing, and for some unfathomable reason, Schwalbe only offers the RR in SG casing in 27.5". Hard pass if you run 29"...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossmaxx View Post
    The Rock Razor in SnakeSkin is incredibly fragile. You need to run in in SuperGravity casing, and for some unfathomable reason, Schwalbe only offers the RR in SG casing in 27.5". Hard pass if you run 29"...
    I was pretty suspicious about how light it is.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I've damaged a few Rock Razors. Between the thin carcass and the short tread, it's more vulnerable than most tires.
    The Rock Razor is my summer tread tire (it's 100+ degrees here and high humidity during summers) or the tire I run when I'm riding someplace not as rocky as ATX.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk