mtbr member

road tires on stans ztr crest 29

I want to put some road tires on my ztr crest. I had back surgery so not sure if I'll return to the trails. certainly not on this hardtail. Continental Ultra Sport II folding tires 28mm is what I'm looking at and putting tubes in as well.

I have 2.2 ikons on now and use to ride in the groups at 20-25 mph for 2 hours but Im not in the shape I was in and not sure if I want to ride as much as I use to so I'm gonna cheat with road tires.

so will the ultra sport work or should I look at something else?
    Last edited by Gabe3; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Cool.

Barely in control
    I ride on the road on Vittoria Morsas so I can jump off if traffic is giving me the squeeze. But those contis will be fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Cool.
    my post was suppose to have a question in it but I forgot. I know it sounded like I was just making a statement. I put the question in lol.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe3 View Post
    my post was suppose to have a question in it but I forgot. I know it sounded like I was just making a statement. I put the question in lol.
    I would check the Stan's site because I'm sure they have a max pressure well under what you will need to run in those tires.I had one split down the rim bed on a MK II version.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joecx View Post
    I would check the Stan's site because I'm sure they have a max pressure well under what you will need to run in those tires.I had one split down the rim bed on a MK II version.
    Correct, I don't think you can go much over 50psi with the smaller road tires on Crests. I think you could safely run something in the 35mm range, Schwalbe Kojak or G-one, Panaracer Gravelking slick, Continental Speedride, etc.

I run Gravelking SKs (43mm) at about 45psi on my crests and they are fine (they are also pretty quick on the road, and I can hop curbs and hit the gravel).

mtbpete
    Running high relative pressure on the Crest rims will wear them out quicker. The air pressure pushes the sidewall outward and puts more strain on the inner rim channel. I've seen this area crack after lots of road miles on high pressure tires.

Barely in control
    I forgot about the pressure issue. If you take Stan's pressure limit of 38psi on a 2.5" tire and solve for equal casing tension for a 28mm tire, you get 86psi limit. At 15% tire squish that puts a rider weight limit of about 170lbs give or take.

mtbpete
    Good math! But that max pressure is exceptionally generous. I don't know anybody riding 2.5 tires at 38 psi except maybe at enduro events and with much stronger rims. The Crest rim would not do well for very long with a 2.5in tire at 38psi. The max pressure on the Crest rim is just an indication of what's safe before the tire blows off the rim.

Moderator Moderator
    The trail on your bike is going to change with a 28mm tire in a HT, not to the point that it'll be unridable, but it'll be a little weird. I mess around with all sorts of tire sizes in all sorts of bikes, so just a heads up.

Another way to go is to stick in some big (@40mm) gravel tires, or slick 29er tires. Barely any difference in rolling resistance and way more fun than 28s. Like these: https://cycletechreview.com/2017/whe...for-your-bike/

Schwalbe big apples are really nice too.

jrm
    mtbr member

I use

CX tires @ around 60 psi and 32c @ 80 psi with tubes. If your have the clearance a 40c tire @ 60 psi is perfect.

turtles make me hot
    Surly makes a couple of 40-42mm tires that would work well.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I'm kinda curious what the width of your rims are? There are a ton of slicks in the 38mm+ range that will work; there's no reason to go down to a 28mm tire in this application.

mtbr member
    bought the ultra sport II in 28. couldn't get them on though. I got one side on, put soapy water, put the tire in the grove while I was working it on with tire levers but its just too tight with about a foot left to go. found other threads of people putting 25s on. dont know how.