Road riding/commuting with 26 Vs. 29ers (700c) wheels- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Road riding/commuting with 26 Vs. 29ers (700c) wheels

I posted this same thread on a road bike forum. But I figure the MTB guys will know better how well 26 inch wheels work cpmared to 29ers (700c). Sorry if this is a duplicate post on from the other sight, but I figure it is two different populations of cyclists.
    I have this older Trek MTB that I built up for city/commuting duty. I have added 1x9 gearing on it since the picture and made numerous other changes. Recently I am in the process of adding some Ebay and parts box parts. I switched to a threadless 1 1/8 fork and added drop bars with brifters, Cantis, Ulterga 53,39 cranks, 105 front derailer and trying to find a good Ultegra derailler for the rear. I also fitted some nice Panaracer 26x1.25s that can run 100psi. Itís all still being built so I havenít ridden it in this form yet.
    Lately I have been thinking about switching it to 700c wheels. I have seen some used sets for around $125 and there is plenty of room in the frame. The frame is steel so any slight hub difference should just flex. The only tricky part would be finding Cantis that have enough adjustment to reach the rim for breaks. But thatís it.
    Another option would be spending the money on a Nashbar X frame, swapping parts and buy the used 700c wheels. It would bolt together easier but I almost think the old steel Trek might ride better than the Al. frame. I imagine it would run about $200-250 for the frame fork combo. Not to bad for cost but is it really any better than the Trek with 700c wheels?
    So my real question is, will 700c wheels be much better than the 26 with the good tires like I have? Is it worth the trouble or are 26 inch wheels with good tires plenty fast? I have basically three options, 1) Trek with 26 inch wheels, 2) Trek with 700c wheels fitted, 3) new frame, fork fitted with 700c wheels.

transmitter~receiver
    Not worth the trouble, IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

Members who have read this thread: 0