Anytime. Anywhere.

Rimpact Tire Inserts

The tire insert business is exploding these days, and I found this, a UK company. Light, cheap, hopefully strong enough for my purpose.

https://www.rimpactmtb.com

£80 for 2 pair with valves shipped to Canada, and they mailed them the next day with a tracking number.

I don't need Cushcore's level of protection, just enough to drop a couple of PSI for slippery winter conditions and protect against the odd square edged rock. 90gm for a 29 insert is certainly light, so it won't have a high level of protection. I'll post an update in a few months.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Bought a set too. OK price. Finally there are more reasonably priced products hitting the marked.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Thanks for sharing. Iím interested in the weight alone! My cushcore defeats the purpose of having a lighter carbon rim. Also I have not been a fan of lower tire pressures.

I look forward to your initial reaction as if they are positive then the cushcore is going on the DH bike and Iíll be looking at this for my trail bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

Anytime. Anywhere.
    They arrived today and they are light. It compresses more than Cushcore, which is the only other insert I've seen. Hope to get them installed soon.

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    They arrived today and they are light. It compresses more than Cushcore, which is the only other insert I've seen. Hope to get them installed soon.

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk
    If you dunk that in water does it soak it up like a sponge or does it do a good job staying separate?

Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL

Barely in control
    Their website sucks but I can tell I like these guys:

"To pay homage to it's pool noodle beginnings and ability to let you hang it out, we named the product the Rimpact #SendNoodz."

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I mainly bought for the name Rimpact.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Junersun View Post
    If you dunk that in water does it soak it up like a sponge or does it do a good job staying separate?

The website says it's made from closed cell foam, so it shouldn't and, if it did, it would render sealant useless.

Barely in control
    What about coating these things in that teflon spray? Then the sealant wouldn't even stick to it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDee View Post
    The website says it's made from closed cell foam, so it shouldn't and, if it did, it would render sealant useless.
    Hey finish line claimed their sealant would last forever... Iím just checking...

Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I soaked part of one in water and pinched it hard. Rimpact did not absorb any water.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I installed Rimpact in tires that were already mounted. It was as easy as installing a tube. Hopefully they arenít too soft to do any good.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Hopefully they arenít too soft to do any good.
    From the pictures you posted, thatís what Iím wondering about.

I really like CushCore, except for remote, backcountry rides. If you cut a tire, you canít tube with CC? At least Huck Norris could be folded up and stuffed in a pack, but CushCore would have to be removed and worn like a bandolier?

Barely in control
    Hey finish line claimed their sealant would last forever... Iím just checking...
    Yeah, THAT went well. I put in 2x the amount and at 4 months it turned into blue goo with no puddle!

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Yeah, THAT went well. I put in 2x the amount and at 4 months it turned into blue goo with no puddle!
    That Finish Line sealant is junk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    They feel a lot more substantial then HH atleast. I think the shape also makes them better. It disperses the force of a hit much better.

So far I'm happy with mine. Havent had any big hits yet but the wheels/tires feel better then before, more damped and doesnt ping of rocks as much.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilgo View Post
    They feel a lot more substantial then HH atleast. I think the shape also makes them better. It disperses the force of a hit much better.

So far I'm happy with mine. Havent had any big hits yet but the wheels/tires feel better then before, more damped and doesnt ping of rocks as much.
    Do you feel any additional sidewalk support with them?

Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Do you feel any additional sidewalk support with them?

Not sure. Running Schwalbe Evo, and they are a little weak. Before with HH I had higher pressure and still managed to get pinchflats. So far none with lower pressure and I don't feel any squirm.
    But I am riding a little careful due to injury.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Hard to say on sidewall support, only 1 ride, and I dropped my pressure 3psi to get more root traction. This is what interested me about inserts to begin with. 1/2 the year I contend with wet, slippery roots, and low pressure works well. However, there are also fast, rocky sections, so my rims need protection. I hope to get some quality rides over the next month, fingers crossed, and then have a look at the Rimpact.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    these sound interesting, i'll look forward to your spring report. i've decided to go another route for both traction, flat protection and rim protection. i'm manning up and getting heavy rear tires. have a new Spesh Eliminator black diamond casing on the Patrol. heavy AF for sure, nearly dh weight but i'm running it at 22 psi and it's firm, stable and the traction is incredible. after a year of more rear flats than ever before i'm looking for a better solution. the tire is also a damper and more controlled ride (so far) but i haven't had the high speed rides on hard trails yet to say more.

mtbr member
    I sure hope installing it isnít as much of a pita as cushcore is. Just took mine off cuz I didnít like how it felt and wow what a pain!

Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL

Anytime. Anywhere.
    It was easy to install. I've seen Cushcore installed bu someone who knows what they're doing, and it's much harder.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilgo View Post
    Not sure. Running Schwalbe Evo, and they are a little weak. Before with HH I had higher pressure and still managed to get pinchflats. So far none with lower pressure and I don't feel any squirm.
    But I am riding a little careful due to injury.
    By HH are you referring to the Huck Norris? Iím running the Huck and it works fairly well, this option looks like it will provide more support and protection over a Huck. Interested to hear more.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    By HH are you referring to the Huck Norris? Iím running the Huck and it works fairly well, this option looks like it will provide more support and protection over a Huck. Interested to hear more.
    Yes, HH = Huck Norris. Don't like HH, have put them in my cheap alu wheels instead and used double in the rear.
    If you look at it in profile the only supporting part between rim and insert is the edge with HH. Rimpact gets support from the whole rim as the insert sits inside the rim, as many other inserts. So in theory it should be better. Time will tell Going for a ride tomorrow with more rocks, but still riding fairly slow. 3/9 months since my injuries...

mtbr member
    Well I decided to give this a try myself. Just arrived. Little concerned about sealant sticking to the foam but I guess time will tell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL