Rimpact Tire Inserts- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rimpact Tire Inserts

The tire insert business is exploding these days, and I found this, a UK company. Light, cheap, hopefully strong enough for my purpose.

https://www.rimpactmtb.com

80 for 2 pair with valves shipped to Canada, and they mailed them the next day with a tracking number.

I don't need Cushcore's level of protection, just enough to drop a couple of PSI for slippery winter conditions and protect against the odd square edged rock. 90gm for a 29 insert is certainly light, so it won't have a high level of protection. I'll post an update in a few months.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for I suck at brake control. Heres a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Bought a set too. OK price. Finally there are more reasonably priced products hitting the marked.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Thanks for sharing. Im interested in the weight alone! My cushcore defeats the purpose of having a lighter carbon rim. Also I have not been a fan of lower tire pressures.

I look forward to your initial reaction as if they are positive then the cushcore is going on the DH bike and Ill be looking at this for my trail bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    They arrived today and they are light. It compresses more than Cushcore, which is the only other insert I've seen. Hope to get them installed soon.

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for I suck at brake control. Heres a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    They arrived today and they are light. It compresses more than Cushcore, which is the only other insert I've seen. Hope to get them installed soon.

If you dunk that in water does it soak it up like a sponge or does it do a good job staying separate?

Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL

Hitching a ride
    Their website sucks but I can tell I like these guys:

"To pay homage to it's pool noodle beginnings and ability to let you hang it out, we named the product the Rimpact #SendNoodz."

mtbr member
    I mainly bought for the name Rimpact.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Junersun View Post
    If you dunk that in water does it soak it up like a sponge or does it do a good job staying separate?

The website says it's made from closed cell foam, so it shouldn't and, if it did, it would render sealant useless.

Hitching a ride
    What about coating these things in that teflon spray? Then the sealant wouldn't even stick to it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDee View Post
    The website says it's made from closed cell foam, so it shouldn't and, if it did, it would render sealant useless.
    Hey finish line claimed their sealant would last forever... Im just checking...

Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    I soaked part of one in water and pinched it hard. Rimpact did not absorb any water.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    I installed Rimpact in tires that were already mounted. It was as easy as installing a tube. Hopefully they arent too soft to do any good.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Rocks belong
    Hopefully they arent too soft to do any good.
    From the pictures you posted, thats what Im wondering about.

I really like CushCore, except for remote, backcountry rides. If you cut a tire, you cant tube with CC? At least Huck Norris could be folded up and stuffed in a pack, but CushCore would have to be removed and worn like a bandolier?

Hitching a ride
    Hey finish line claimed their sealant would last forever... Im just checking...
    Yeah, THAT went well. I put in 2x the amount and at 4 months it turned into blue goo with no puddle!

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Yeah, THAT went well. I put in 2x the amount and at 4 months it turned into blue goo with no puddle!
    That Finish Line sealant is junk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    They feel a lot more substantial then HH atleast. I think the shape also makes them better. It disperses the force of a hit much better.

So far I'm happy with mine. Havent had any big hits yet but the wheels/tires feel better then before, more damped and doesnt ping of rocks as much.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilgo View Post
    They feel a lot more substantial then HH atleast. I think the shape also makes them better. It disperses the force of a hit much better.

So far I'm happy with mine. Havent had any big hits yet but the wheels/tires feel better then before, more damped and doesnt ping of rocks as much.
    Do you feel any additional sidewalk support with them?

Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Do you feel any additional sidewalk support with them?

Not sure. Running Schwalbe Evo, and they are a little weak. Before with HH I had higher pressure and still managed to get pinchflats. So far none with lower pressure and I don't feel any squirm.
    But I am riding a little careful due to injury.

mtbr member
    Hard to say on sidewall support, only 1 ride, and I dropped my pressure 3psi to get more root traction. This is what interested me about inserts to begin with. 1/2 the year I contend with wet, slippery roots, and low pressure works well. However, there are also fast, rocky sections, so my rims need protection. I hope to get some quality rides over the next month, fingers crossed, and then have a look at the Rimpact.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    these sound interesting, i'll look forward to your spring report. i've decided to go another route for both traction, flat protection and rim protection. i'm manning up and getting heavy rear tires. have a new Spesh Eliminator black diamond casing on the Patrol. heavy AF for sure, nearly dh weight but i'm running it at 22 psi and it's firm, stable and the traction is incredible. after a year of more rear flats than ever before i'm looking for a better solution. the tire is also a damper and more controlled ride (so far) but i haven't had the high speed rides on hard trails yet to say more.

mtbr member
    I sure hope installing it isnt as much of a pita as cushcore is. Just took mine off cuz I didnt like how it felt and wow what a pain!

Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    It was easy to install. I've seen Cushcore installed bu someone who knows what they're doing, and it's much harder.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilgo View Post
    Not sure. Running Schwalbe Evo, and they are a little weak. Before with HH I had higher pressure and still managed to get pinchflats. So far none with lower pressure and I don't feel any squirm.
    But I am riding a little careful due to injury.
    By HH are you referring to the Huck Norris? Im running the Huck and it works fairly well, this option looks like it will provide more support and protection over a Huck. Interested to hear more.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    By HH are you referring to the Huck Norris? Im running the Huck and it works fairly well, this option looks like it will provide more support and protection over a Huck. Interested to hear more.
    Yes, HH = Huck Norris. Don't like HH, have put them in my cheap alu wheels instead and used double in the rear.
    If you look at it in profile the only supporting part between rim and insert is the edge with HH. Rimpact gets support from the whole rim as the insert sits inside the rim, as many other inserts. So in theory it should be better. Time will tell Going for a ride tomorrow with more rocks, but still riding fairly slow. 3/9 months since my injuries...

mtbr member
    Well I decided to give this a try myself. Just arrived. Little concerned about sealant sticking to the foam but I guess time will tell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    These look very very much like the Panzer ones https://ridepanzer.com
    Wonder if these two companies/products are related.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lillegutt View Post
    These look very very much like the Panzer ones https://ridepanzer.com
    Wonder if these two companies/products are related.
    Although they are similar for sure, each are a different profile and it's hard to tell how they each sourced their material. They seem to have arrived at a similar solution to the problem of how to make a light but effective insert, but I don't see any direct evidence they are related. Panzer seems to be looking for distribution, where I direct ordered my Rimpact inserts.

mtbr member
    Hard to say on sidewall support, only 1 ride, and I dropped my pressure 3psi to get more root traction. This is what interested me about inserts to begin with. 1/2 the year I contend with wet, slippery roots, and low pressure works well. However, there are also fast, rocky sections, so my rims need protection. I hope to get some quality rides over the next month, fingers crossed, and then have a look at the Rimpact.
    Any updates? Im on the fence between Rimpact and Pepis. Thanks Im advance!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I just ordered a set. My only other experience is with cushcore, which is amazing but heavy, but allows me to drop PSI by about 5 and achieve similar sidewall support with much better dampening and traction. If I smash through rock gardens full tilt, I can feel it impacting the rim "softly", and pulling out the cushcore shows a myriad of slight dents and slices where it's done its job protecting my light weight carbon hoops. Now, not not hoping for a free lunch, and thus I'm not expecting the Rimpact to provide the same level of protection or sidewall support, but it will allow me to safely drop pressure by about 3PSI, I will consider that a win given how light they are.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RAG2 View Post
    I just ordered a set. My only other experience is with cushcore...
    This is a comparison I am interested in, I wonder just how much more effective Cushcore is for all the extra weight? I have run Huck Norris and now Rimpact, but Cushcore seems like it is just too much for my needs. So far the Rimpact seems like an improvement on HN for a very small increase in weight, like 10 grams or so per wheel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velodonata View Post
    This is a comparison I am interested in, I wonder just how much more effective Cushcore is for all the extra weight? I have run Huck Norris and now Rimpact, but Cushcore seems like it is just too much for my needs. So far the Rimpact seems like an improvement on HN for a very small increase in weight, like 10 grams or so per wheel.
    After feeling cushcore at -5 psi for me, when I put the rimpact on my tires I ended up going up in pressure to get the same sidewalk through air pressure.

But hard square hits I feel is still soft impact similar to cushcore.

Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    I have a solid month of riding, but with my HD2/WeAreOne Agent combo, I can't break the bead with my old thumbs to have look at how Rimpact is holding up. I will take the wheel to the shop next time I go so I can take a peak. I only reduced pressure 2 psi and haven't noticed any rim impacts.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I have a solid month of riding, but with my HD2/WeAreOne Agent combo, I can't break the bead with my old thumbs to have look at how Rimpact is holding up. I will take the wheel to the shop next time I go so I can take a peak. I only reduced pressure 2 psi and haven't noticed any rim impacts.
    Yeah, I had enough feedback on cushcore before installing them that I was willing to drop the pressure substantially and plow rock gardens just to see how it felt while trusting I wouldn't actually break a rim. I'm likely going to be a little more cautious with the rimpact without having all the user feedback and reviews ahead of me.

Mine should be here soon!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Tested my Shorty maxxgrip downhill 29x2.5" with 9psi without any issues on my local trail. It is steep, technical, rocky and rooty.

mtbr member
    Is that due to the inserts? How do you expect to fix a flat out on the trail?

mtbr member
    Is that due to the inserts? How do you expect to fix a flat out on the trail?
    It's not the Rimpact, tire and rim are just tight. I carry tire plugs and am going to practice breaking the bead.

Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    I only reduced pressure 2 psi and haven't noticed any rim impacts.
    Have you tried to go lower?

mtbr member
    It's not the Rimpact, tire and rim are just tight. I carry tire plugs and am going to practice breaking the bead.

Im loving my We Are One Agent rims so far, with the exception of how freaking tight the fit of the Vitoria Gato I have mounted on the rear is! It is without a doubt the tightest fit Ive ever come across, and assuming that most/all Vittoria tires will have a similar fit, I will have to cross the brand off my list for these rims. Too bad, but at least my Maxxis tires fit perfect.

"So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    Have you tried to go lower?
    I don't see the need for it. I get plenty of traction but can still corner hard (for me).
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    What about coating these things in that teflon spray? Then the sealant wouldn't even stick to it.
    I would not recommend spraying any type repellent on something you put inside your tire if you plan to use a sealant for fear of preventing sealant's ability from doing its job.

mtbr member

Do you think the sealant is sticking the beads to the rim?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Do you make sure the tire bead is centered in the groove in the rim all the way around? You have to squeeze the insert outwards so that the tire bead can slip underneath the rimpact.

mtbr member
    Do you think the sealant is sticking the beads to the rim?
    I don't think that's the issue, it's just a tight combo.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have some in the mail and can report back how they perform . I bought the 27.5 versions for 2.6 tires on 37mm internal rims

mtbr member
    May 2017
    bump

any new info?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have about 100 miles on them now. Here are some thoughts :

You can definitely feel the dampening effect. Its subtle but takes the edge off of chatter. The sidewAll support is a bit more noticeable especially at lower pressures. Much more support which translates to more predictable cornering. So far no pinch flat a though I did have a sidewAll puncture my first ride which was no fault of the insert.

I cant compare to other inserts , but its definitely worth the cost and weight. I am running it on 37mm internal rims with Maxxis 2.6 dhf and dhr2 exo+. Pressure I am still playing with but 18-20psi front and 23-25psi rear seem to work well

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
    I have about 100 miles on them now. Here are some thoughts :

You can definitely feel the dampening effect. Its subtle but takes the edge off of chatter. The sidewAll support is a bit more noticeable especially at lower pressures. Much more support which translates to more predictable cornering. So far no pinch flat a though I did have a sidewAll puncture my first ride which was no fault of the insert.

I cant compare to other inserts , but its definitely worth the cost and weight. I am running it on 37mm internal rims with Maxxis 2.6 dhf and dhr2 exo+. Pressure I am still playing with but 18-20psi front and 23-25psi rear seem to work well
    I have to agree with Monty. I much prefer it to cushcore. I rush my tire pretty stiff (30 psi ish)

Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Tried my Rimpact insert today, compared to a Pepi's tyre noodle I ran previously (have had both versions) I prefer the Rimpact. The Pepi's was more fuss to fit a tyre and install sealant. The Rimpact seems to provide similar levels of sidewall support, I'd assume Cushcore provides more but at a big weight penalty. Dampening properties also seem similar to Pepi's, so for the price/convenience the Rimpact wins for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    Tried my Rimpact insert today, compared to a Pepi's tyre noodle I ran previously (have had both versions) I prefer the Rimpact. The Pepi's was more fuss to fit a tyre and install sealant. The Rimpact seems to provide similar levels of sidewall support, I'd assume Cushcore provides more but at a big weight penalty. Dampening properties also seem similar to Pepi's, so for the price/convenience the Rimpact wins for me.
    Yeah, for the weight and cost, they are definitely worth it for anyone that wants a little more protection and/or wants to run a little lower pressure. If downhill is the only direction, I prefer Cushcore...its a little more stout and firm against the sidewall, so a little more sidewall support at low pressures... and greater impact protection; I think both of these likely provide better sidewall support than the rounded designs like Pepis and Vittoria Airliner. However, if I raced DH running normal pressures and needing maximum protection, I would start with the Airliner. I have yet to try however...

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    How does the Rimpact foam compare to the closed cell backer rod available at hardware stores? I considered Rimpact but by dumb luck ran into a bargain bin full of 50mm backer rods so I'm giving it a try.

Rimpact is affordable I give you that but an insert from split rod cost about 30 cents to make...

mtbr member
    I just pulled the trigger on set. I have been holding off on Cushcore due to the price and weight too. Looking forward to slightly lower pressures and more traction!

Do the included stems have the airport in the side of the instead of straight through like normal?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rynomx785 View Post
    I just pulled the trigger on set. I have been holding off on Cushcore due to the price and weight too. Looking forward to slightly lower pressures and more traction!

Do the included stems have the airport in the side of the instead of straight through like normal?
    I believe they do. It's a while since I installed it.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Yes, they have the side ports.

mtbr member
    Yes, they have the side ports.
    They are also far and away the nicest valve stems for the money I have ever seen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velodonata View Post
    They are also far and away the nicest valve stems for the money I have ever seen.
    Well, that is good to hear!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by TimoA View Post
    How does the Rimpact foam compare to the closed cell backer rod available at hardware stores? I considered Rimpact but by dumb luck ran into a bargain bin full of 50mm backer rods so I'm giving it a try.

Rimpact is affordable I give you that but an insert from split rod cost about 30 cents to make...
    I'd say the Rimpact holds its shape better than the backer rod foam. Backer rod tends to rebound very very slowly, almost deforming momentarily, somewhat like the original XC version of the Pepi's noodle which doesn't lend to sidewall support very much unless you stuff a large amount into a smaller tyre. The Rimpact holds its form very well, returning to shape quickly.

For the price though, it's worth trying the backer rod. They should work well for pinch flats and rim protection.

mtbr member
    I've had two rides on these and I'm not overly impressed. I ironically pinch flatted and killed my 29x2.6 XR4(front) while these were in transit so I'm running a 2.4 DHR2 up front and a 2.6 Rekon out back. I was able to lower the pressure 3 psi in the front and it was still supportive with no rim strikes. In the back though I was getting what felt like pretty hard rim strikes even with only dropping two psi. I'll probably have to run the rear tire at the same psi as before. That may be because the insert doesn't take up enough volume in the 2.6" tire.

So it didn't have the damping characteristics I was hoping for. At the same pressure I was running before I couldn't even tell the inserts were in the tires. I also couldn't lower the pressure much. Maybe they'll at least protect my tires from pinch flats and rims from dings.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I've had two rides on these and I'm not overly impressed. I ironically pinch flatted and killed my 29x2.6 XR4(front) while these were in transit so I'm running a 2.4 DHR2 up front and a 2.6 Rekon out back. I was able to lower the pressure 3 psi in the front and it was still supportive with no rim strikes. In the back though I was getting what felt like pretty hard rim strikes even with only dropping two psi. I'll probably have to run the rear tire at the same psi as before. That may be because the insert doesn't take up enough volume in the 2.6" tire.

So it didn't have the damping characteristics I was hoping for. At the same pressure I was running before I couldn't even tell the inserts were in the tires. I also couldn't lower the pressure much. Maybe they'll at least protect my tires from pinch flats and rims from dings.
    Interesting. When you felt the rim hit, wasn't it a "softer" feeling hit? Due to injury I havent been able to properly test the the rimpact like I have the cushcore in past, but you ought to be able to remove a few PSI and safely feel an occasional rim strike, but a dampened and softened one. When I pulled out my last cushcore, I had dozens of dings and slices in the foam from striking once or twice a ride. Never damages my light carbon hoops either...sometimes I probably ran too little pressure as well, resulting in some pretty hard impacts. Not sure I'd trust the rimpact to that degree however, as the foam clearly isnt as stout as rimpact.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Pic showing the dings and slices in the cushcore. I also modified one of my rimpact inserts buy adding a thin strip of silicone glue (shoe goo) to add a little more protection (added about 30 grams).Rimpact Tire Inserts-20190306_071419.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Interesting. When you felt the rim hit, wasn't it a "softer" feeling hit?
    No it felt really hard, like the insert wasn't even there. It also felt squirmy. The 2.4 in the front though didn't have any rim strikes. I really think that 2.6's are just too much volume for the Rimpacts to help much. I kinda want to try a 2.4 in the rear now just to compare.

mtbr member
    No it felt really hard, like the insert wasn't even there. It also felt squirmy. The 2.4 in the front though didn't have any rim strikes. I really think that 2.6's are just too much volume for the Rimpacts to help much. I kinda want to try a 2.4 in the rear now just to compare.
    I think the 2.4 or 2.3 is ideal size for them. At that size I think it still applies some outward pressure on the sidewall which is what seems to give a tire improved feel.

mtbr member
    Hopefully they actually help on 2.5s. Wish I had seen this prior to ordering. I would have held off and waited for some more feedback.

mtbr member
    I mounted up my replacement 2.6 XR4 yesterday. I hope to be able to see how it compares to the 2.4 DHR2 and using the XR4 without an X2 insert.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I am running these on 2.6 Maxxis on 37mm internal rims. Granted, these are my first inserts, but I feel the damping and sidewall support. I am running roughly the same pressure I had before with a "heavy casing" 2.6 WTB tire on the rear and about 2 psi more than I was on a 2.8 butcher on the front. 20/24-25 PSI f/r

I think that given the wider setup, there could be more material for sidewall support, but the tradeoff was that installation was fairly easy. I would be curious to try cushcore (other than the weight and painful install potential) to see the difference. Overall, i am happy with the Rimpacts. No pinch flats (knock on wood) at about 175 miles or so

mtbr member
    Just got mine installed. 2.5WT DHFs front and rear on 30mm internal rims. I normally run 22 in the front and 24 in the rear. I accidentally let a little too much out of the front and just tried 19/22. Pretty impressed after riding up and down my street. You can really feel the difference running into a curb. The tires feel very dead if that makes sense. Looking for forward to getting into some real chunk.

SendIt
    Nov 2018
    So how many of you guys that are running the Rimpact sendnoodz, have ran cush core?? Im asking because im in the market for some tire inserts. I was going to get the cush core set because i can get them for $120 with a discount i have. But now that i read this post, im second guessing it. The Rimpact seem to be a better choice from what i have read. They are lighter, easier to install, and cheaper.

I just wanted to get everyone who has used boths opinion on it. I dont mind spending the extra money on cush core, if it means its the better product. Just wanna be sure paying twice as much is actually worth the cost.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcal Mtb Addict View Post
    So how many of you guys that are running the Rimpact sendnoodz, have ran cush core?? Im asking because im in the market for some tire inserts. I was going to get the cush core set because i can get them for $120 with a discount i have. But now that i read this post, im second guessing it. The Rimpact seem to be a better choice from what i have read. They are lighter, easier to install, and cheaper.

I just wanted to get everyone who has used boths opinion on it. I dont mind spending the extra money on cush core, if it means its the better product. Just wanna be sure paying twice as much is actually worth the cost.
    What I should have done was add cushcore to my DH bike and have the rimpact on my trail.

Cushcore makes ability to stiffen the sidewalks is certain worth crediting but I can also feel it on the climbs hence why I took the off my trail bike.

Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden Cushcore but they are very similar ideas. With Cushcore being more dense you will get more protection/damping from it but you pay the weight penalty. If you just ride fire road climbs to get to DH, the weight may not matter but if you regularly ride places like Sedona that are filled with punchy tech climbs around every corner, Rimpact is a good compromise IMO. EXO casing and Rimpact is still lighter than the same tire in DD.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcal Mtb Addict View Post

My boss runs Cushcore and, he needs it. He's much bigger and rides harder man me. He can destroy a tire in short order with hard cornering. I'm still big and ride pretty hard but just not in the same league, more of an everyman style. I have lighter tires with Rimpact in the rear for a bit of protection and less weight. I put in almost 4X the KM and elevation he does so rotating weight is important to me on long rides. Honestly ask yourself what kind of rider are you. I wish I was the kind of rider who needs Cushcore but at my age that's not likely to happen.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    I mounted up my replacement 2.6 XR4 yesterday. I hope to be able to see how it compares to the 2.4 DHR2 and using the XR4 without an insert.
    Just an update: with the 2.6 XR4 I feel that have to run the same pressure as before installing the insert and also the same pressure as the 2.4 DHR2. Feeling how well the inserts work with 2.4s makes me want to run 2.4s or even better if Rimpact made an insert for 2.5-2.6 tires.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Just an update: with the 2.6 XR4 I feel that have to run the same pressure as before installing the insert and also the same pressure as the 2.4 DHR2. Feeling how well the inserts work with 2.4s makes me want to run 2.4s or even better if Rimpact made an insert for 2.5-2.6 tires.
    Agreed. The 2.4 is perfect with these.

mtbr member
    First good ride on them today for me. Very happy with them in my 2.5WT DHFs. I was purposely lining square edge rocks up and never got my rim. 19/21 and weigh 175 ready to ride. Even got a KOM on the ride! LOL

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I'd say the Rimpact holds its shape better than the backer rod foam. Backer rod tends to rebound very very slowly, almost deforming momentarily, somewhat like the original XC version of the Pepi's noodle which doesn't lend to sidewall support very much unless you stuff a large amount into a smaller tyre. The Rimpact holds its form very well, returning to shape quickly.

For the price though, it's worth trying the backer rod. They should work well for pinch flats and rim protection.
    Thanks, I think the rod I found was quite sprightly in its rebound and quite tough - I couldn't do any discernible damage to it just using my hands. Then again there are probably loads of backer rod manufacturers each with their own recipes and I have no idea who made these.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jimarin View Post
    I think the 2.4 or 2.3 is ideal size for them. At that size I think it still applies some outward pressure on the sidewall which is what seems to give a tire improved feel.
    I concur. Given their profile they are ideally suited to an 2.3 or 2.35", or a "maxxis sized 2.4". At this size you'll get good outward pressure and sidewall support to run lower pressures. Wider than that, i feel you'll still get the same rim strike protection, but not as much sidewall support.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I haven't ridden Cushcore but they are very similar ideas. With Cushcore being more dense you will get more protection/damping from it but you pay the weight penalty. If you just ride fire road climbs to get to DH, the weight may not matter but if you regularly ride places like Sedona that are filled with punchy tech climbs around every corner, Rimpact is a good compromise IMO. EXO casing and Rimpact is still lighter than the same tire in DD.
    I have ridden both and this is the verbatim response I would have given comparing the two!

And now we have Cushcore XC which would appear to fall in between the original Cushcore and the Rimpact in terms of protectioning and support. While they don't seem to absorb sealant, I also think the Rimpact inserts "hold" an extra 20 grams, or so, of sealant because of the porous texture...not that it really matters.

mtbr member
    I concur. Given their profile they are ideally suited to an 2.3 or 2.35", or a "maxxis sized 2.4". At this size you'll get good outward pressure and sidewall support to run lower pressures. Wider than that, i feel you'll still get the same rim strike protection, but not as much sidewall support.
    I can definitely still feel the added sidewall support with the Rimpacts in my 2.5s. I am sure a 2.4 would feel more supported but prior to adding the inserts, I could really feel my front tire start to roll cornering hard below 20 PSI so I normally ran 21-22. I have tested down to 18 now and even cornering hard on pavement the tire still doesn't get squirmy. I am completely sold on them. It is one of those things that you don't realize what you are missing until you try it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I have a 2.8 maxxis tire but on a 30mm rim so what you did will the best bet??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude237 View Post
    I have a 2.8 maxxis tire but on a 30mm rim so what you did will the best bet??
    With a 2.8 tire you definitely need to get the plus size insert to get the benefits but it will be a tight squeeze getting it all installed with a 30 mm internal wheel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Just killed a tyre with the Rimpact and a little damage to my carbon rim. I guess I'll be going back to the Pepi's noodle.

mtbr member
    Just killed a tyre with the Rimpact and a little damage to my carbon rim. I guess I'll be going back to the Pepi's noodle.
    What tire, what pressure, and how much do you weigh?

I have seen guys break wheels running Cushcore too. Is Pepi's significantly denser than Rimpact?

mtbr member
    I did notice a couple decent size chunks taken out of the rear insert when I removed the tire the other day (dead hub). That's after riding for only a couple weeks on it but I'm also pretty rough on equipment. I should probably be running a double down tire and/or Cushcore in the rear.

mtbr member
    Id take rimpact over PTN unless youre talking about the newer heavy duty version (I havent seen the new ones in person yet). The standard Pepis are probably the weakest one I've tried. I've ruined back rims with cushcore and double down so I dont think there is a perfect solution. The right rock at the right angle and speed will probably ruin anything.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Yeah I'm talking about the newer version, I have both and the Rimpact. I wouldn't call it significantly denser but it's just larger in size and shape giving me confidence it will cushion a little more.

Tyre was a WTB Trail Boss 2.4 tough casing (dual ply) and I'm 90kg. I'm not blaming the Rimpact, I dropped onto a rock that probably would have killed my rim without it, it served its purpose I believe. I'm going back to a bigger volume tyre too and I'd need the plus sized Rimpact to suit whilst the Pepi's noodle I have is larger.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Past couple days I rode rocky trails with low pressure and the rimpact. I could certainly feel more squirm than with cushcore, so maybe not ideal for railing berms. Maybe the perfect "trail" riding insert for those who like to run lower pressures on rocky or rooty trails; I sure enjoy running lower pressure, as I like more of a firm/supportive "race tune" in my suspension, particularly my fork, and the low air pressure yields more "small bump" absorption than suspension ever could. The area inside last couple days was super rocky, and it was night and day difference being able to run such low pressures. I think the rimpact might find a home, front and rear, on my trail bike. I really like the Aggressor 2.5 WT, but I'd probably prefer the 2.3 with rimpact over the 2.5, at a comparable weight too.

For enduro work, I prefer the Cushcore.
    Last edited by RAG2; 04-26-2019 at 05:42 AM.

mtbr member
    I finally took the 2.35 Hans Damph off my hardtial's rear. The Rimpact has a few cuts, which I expected. Word is they are working on something a bit stronger. Overall it helped on all but the hardest rock strikes.

Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Anyone used these and the nukeproof ARD or the huck norris and can compare?

mtbr member
    I've use the huck. I find these better than them. These give sidewall support. I haven't had any rim strikes on these that were noticable. I found with the huck rims slice through the strip on hard hits.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Legbacon View Post
    I finally took the 2.35 Hans Damph off my hardtial's rear. The Rimpact has a few cuts, which I expected. Word is they are working on something a bit stronger. Overall it helped on all but the hardest rock strikes.

Yeah, I ran the rimpact instersts from and rear on my big bike for awhile...but after burping a tire near completely flat, I decided they weren't working adequately for this application. Upon removal, I was disappointed to see the corners/edges of the inserts cut...meaning these inserts are too narrow, even for 27mm rims. They are being demoted. It's Cushcore or nothing for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Interesting. I am due for a rear tire change in the next few weeks or so. I will be curious to see my "impact patterns". I am running wide rims at 37 mm internal and 2.6s - so already on the edge of what the standard size insert is rated for

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Would this insert allow me to run a wider tire on a 25mm internal width rim? I've been wanting to run a 29 by 2.5 or 2.6 Maxxis Minion DHF WT. Maxxis specifically says minimum rim iw of 30mm. ... To my understanding this insert would support the side walls and prevent it from rolling in turns and give it more lateral support at low pressure if I was to run a wider Tire on my 25mm iw rim. Is that logic makes sense or am I way off base here?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by gsfino View Post
    Would this insert allow me to run a wider tire on a 25mm internal width rim? I've been wanting to run a 29 by 2.5 or 2.6 Maxxis Minion DHF WT. Maxxis specifically says minimum rim iw of 30mm. ... To my understanding this insert would support the side walls and prevent it from rolling in turns and give it more lateral support at low pressure if I was to run a wider Tire on my 25mm iw rim. Is that logic makes sense or am I way off base here?
    Maxxis state that due to the tread width spacing. Your proposed combo will be very rounded and the corner lugs will be well off the ground and won't engage till you have it very very leaned over. If I were you I'd avoid wide track tyres.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    That makes sense.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Maxxis state that due to the tread width spacing. Your proposed combo will be very rounded and the corner lugs will be well off the ground and won't engage till you have it very very leaned over. If I were you I'd avoid wide track tyres.
    So theoretically if I do not install a WT tire this product should give me more sidewall support if I went with a 2.6 on my 25mm iw rims. Would you say that's correct?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Just picked up a set based on this thread, but waiting for the shipping confirmation.

Can anyone recommend a good 2.4 tire combo to go with these for NorCal riding? I like to do relatively aggressive all mountain/trail riding on 27.5 wheels, but have to do my fair share of climbing to enjoy trails in Santa Cruz.

Robertson
    Good review from singletracks. Part of a recent grouptest where they tested most of the common inserts.
    https://singletrackworld.com/2019/05...n-you-can-get/

EDIT: just set up a free account to read the whole article
    Last edited by rpearce1475; 05-08-2019 at 10:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Hey, I just order mine for 26" wheel with valves. They are on the way!
    I will report back on this thread 😉

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    Good review from singletracks. Part of a recent grouptest where they tested most of the common inserts.
    https://singletrackworld.com/2019/05...n-you-can-get/
    Sweet... but the article cuts short behind a paywall.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by gfourth View Post
    I just set up a user name and than it was free

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gfourth View Post
    Yeah, was looking interesting until then.

mtbr member
    I just set up a user name and than it was free
    Yep, I was even a paying customer for a little while a couple of years ago and at some point they went to the free accounts.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Anyone tried these on a 27.5+ version or on a hardtail?

mtbr member
    I just put a new rear tire on my Fugitive and found the Rimpact in nearly new shape. One small cut. Surprise, the rear suspension is easier on rims than a hardtail.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Legbacon View Post
    I just put a new rear tire on my Fugitive and found the Rimpact in nearly new shape. One small cut. Surprise, the rear suspension is easier on rims than a hardtail.
    Do you think Rimpact is still worth it in the case of rear suspension? I'm pretty much happy with my tire setup (2.6 higher volume tire lighter casing up front 15.5psi, 2.4 rear- stiffer enduro casing 20psi) and my suspension setup (coil f/r). I don't burp tires, don't get many rim dings/pings given my weight and riding style. I do ride plenty of really chunky trails where extra damping maybe a benefit but not sure if rimpact will make much of an impact. Would rimpact be worth it for me?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quick review... I've run Huck Norris and Cushcore for the past 2 seasons and I'm a full on Cushcore convert.

I recently moved up to a 29" Megatower from my nomad and I felt that I could really feel the the weight of the cushcore in the 29" wheels. With that said, I decided to try out rimpact (only in the front to start). My goal with the rimpact was that it would save weight and get similar pros of the cushcore...

After a recent race at Glorieta and DH laps at Angelfire, I can say the following....

Pros
    - Similar dampening qualities to cushcore
    - Significantly lighter than cushcore
    - Significantly cheaper than cushcore

Cons
    - Doesn't have the same tire roll-over bead hold that cush does. I could run lower pressures and get that nice damped feel of cush, but when I was railing through berms I could feel the front tire squirm on me (w/ cush I had no tire role at the same PSI).

Conclusion...
    Cushcore is still the best, but rimpact is almost 1/3 the weight and price of cushcore. I'd give it a try at least in the front. I prefer to have the ability to smash through lines in races, so I'll continue to run cush in the rear.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Ran the Rimpact 27.5+ in my 2.8 DHF/DHR2 on 32mm wheels (Diamondback sync'r carbon hardtail). I'm running 15-22 psi depending on the trail and these are just lovely. So comfortable they take the sting out of the most rooty rocky trails.

Less hand pumps to add air to the tires and you don't have to worry as much about what your pressures are. You must be very meticulous about the PSI in 2.8-3.0 tires for them to work correctly. Throw the Rimpact in there and they just open the range up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Has anyone else experienced issues with tire wobble after installing the rimpacts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    A little wobble, but worse with rhe firmer/wider cushcore.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    So it's the consensus that the rimpacts provide no sidewall support on 2.6 tyres?

I'm thinking of picking up a new set of spec eliminator/slaughter in grid casings and was planning to use rimpacts. Alternatively I could go with 2.4 Maxxis or Conti

mtbr member
    I picked a set of Rimpacts up about a month ago after doing some research on inserts. They seemed to be a good compromise between weight and cost. I have a Specialized Levo so its a bit portly and I was dinging my rear wheel a lot on rocky trails which made running tubeless difficult. Anyhoo, with a 150-ish miles on them (mostly trail) now I can say they are doing a pretty good job for me and what I need from them. I've had one rim ding but it was a really rocky trail, big chunky rocks, and I was just plowing through so I'm not complaining. I run 2.5 a Maxxis EXO WT High Roller II in front and a 2.5 Aggressor EXO WT in back on stock Spesh wheels with 39mm inner diameter. I've run the front at 17 PSI with no issues, usually around 18 PSI front and rear. Not sure I'll ever go back to bare tubeless.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by crembz View Post
    So it's the consensus that the rimpacts provide no sidewall support on 2.6 tyres?

I'm thinking of picking up a new set of spec eliminator/slaughter in grid casings and was planning to use rimpacts. Alternatively I could go with 2.4 Maxxis or Conti
    I wouldn't say "no" sidewall support. I can definitely feel some with 2.6" and 37mm internal rims. I haven't tried cushcore or skinner tires/rims; so I can't offer a comparison there. The support is most noticeable if I am running low pressures and cutting hard on pavement or something hard. Normal riding it's a bit harder to tell

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I run that setup front with my Rimpact (DHF Exo 2.6x27.5'' on a 25mm rim) ; the insert supports the sidewalls against squirming as well as spreads out the carcass thus acting as if you were running wider rims so I'd say go ahead and shred (unless 0 squirm is your #1 priority).

I tested the Rimpacts on 2.4'' and 2.6'' tyres up front: the support and damping on a 2.4'' is great but on the 2.6'' I'd perhaps wish for a bit more so I contacted them. Here's what the guys at Rimpact answered regarding running the +size inserts with 2.6'' tyres if anyone is interested:

" the Plus size insert is designed to support the sidewall and press against the bead of the tyre when fitted to a 35mm+ rim, it has a substantially larger measurement in this area. If you are running 2.6 tyres with a 35/38 or 40mm rims then it will work a treat and give you an excellent damped ride characteristic. I myself have experimented with this in length and can vouch for the performance provided the rims are wide enough However if you are on 30mm internal rims stick with the regular size. "

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uuno1 View Post
    I run that setup front with my Rimpact (DHF Exo 2.6x27.5'' on a 25mm rim) ; the insert supports the sidewalls against squirming as well as spreads out the carcass thus acting as if you were running wider rims so I'd say go ahead and shred (unless 0 squirm is your #1 priority).

I tested the Rimpacts on 2.4'' and 2.6'' tyres up front: the support and damping on a 2.4'' is great but on the 2.6'' I'd perhaps wish for a bit more so I contacted them. Here's what the guys at Rimpact answered regarding running the +size inserts with 2.6'' tyres if anyone is interested:

" the Plus size insert is designed to support the sidewall and press against the bead of the tyre when fitted to a 35mm+ rim, it has a substantially larger measurement in this area. If you are running 2.6 tyres with a 35/38 or 40mm rims then it will work a treat and give you an excellent damped ride characteristic. I myself have experimented with this in length and can vouch for the performance provided the rims are wide enough However if you are on 30mm internal rims stick with the regular size. "
    I totally disagree. I ran the plus with 2.6 dhf wt and it was great. A little tougher to get on but support and damping properties were great. Similar to the regular one in my 2.3 double down in the back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Isn't that what he said?

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I think he's referring to the 30mm internal = stick to regular size inserts comment.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by crembz View Post
    I think he's referring to the 30mm internal = stick to regular size inserts comment.
    I think you're correct. .... For the record I have a 29mm iw rim on a 2.5" Minion DHF WT in front and a 25mm iw rim with 2.3" Minion DHR 2 on the rear. Both 29er's utilizing the standard size Rimpacts have worked well. I would happily recommend them to a friend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I totally disagree. I ran the plus with 2.6 dhf wt and it was great. A little tougher to get on but support and damping properties were great. Similar to the regular one in my 2.3 double down in the back.
    How wide are your rims?

For clarification, I am currently running the regular sized inserts (designed for 2.3-2.6'' tyres) with my 2.6'' DHF which I found to support and spread out the tyre on my "undersized" 25 mm rim enough that I don't consider the lack of width on my rim a problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uuno1 View Post
    How wide are your rims?

For clarification, I am currently running the regular sized inserts (designed for 2.3-2.6'' tyres) with my 2.6'' DHF which I found to support and spread out the tyre on my "undersized" 25 mm rim enough that I don't consider the lack of width on my rim a problem.
    Sorry should have stated 30mm rims.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Sorry should have stated 30mm rims.
    Ok, so at least that width seems to work then. I have even narrower rims than that so I am a bit hesitant to try the +ones; the continuation to the reply from Rimpact goes as follows:

"During testing we found that if the insert does not sit snug with the rim but instead up in the middle of the tyre the tyre can no longer roll correctly. This happens when the insert is too large to fit between the tyre bead and is stretched/forced up into the middle of the carcass. The ideal characteristic you are looking for is a tyre that has minimal roll at the bead and lower sidewall but 'some' roll and flex in the upper portion of the carcass and tread. This deformation and flex produces a controlled grippy ride rather than something that pings off of roots and rocks and also 'wallows' at low pressure. The insert can then stabilise that roll and prevent the tyre from deforming more than necessary. This is what we found when upping the width and volume of the insert past a certain threshold. We also found that the smaller the air pocket left in the tyre the more skittish and lacking in grip the tyre felt.

To sum up: There is an approximate golden ratio of air volume to insert volume that should be stuck to. 25-35mm rims works best with the regular size insert. 35mm+ rims work best with the Plus size insert. The caveat is if you are running high volume tyres on narrow rims the waters get muddied. You can get away with Plus Size on 30mm rims but the ride may be a little skittish, albeit very will damped and roll free. You can also stick with Regular size inserts at this size and will get the damping and grip but less side wall support.

We are looking at the possibility of offering an 'inbetweener' size in the future to bridge the gap."

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Interesting. What I have found with running the regular rimpacts on 37mm internal rims and 2.6 tires (now a 2.5 in Assegai up front) is that I can limit flats, get some of the dampening improvements by running lower pressures, and minimal noticeable sidewall support.

I think that i should try the plus inserts, which werent available when I purchased mine. I have close to 1000 miles on my inserts, and they are still going strong btw. No major marks, cuts, deterioration.

I would also be interested in in betweener sizes. I like the wider rims + modestly wide tires right now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Interesting. What I have found with running the regular rimpacts on 37mm internal rims and 2.6 tires (now a 2.5 in Assegai up front) is that I can limit flats, get some of the dampening improvements by running lower pressures, and minimal noticeable sidewall support.

I think that i should try the plus inserts, which werent available when I purchased mine. I have close to 1000 miles on my inserts, and they are still going strong btw. No major marks, cuts, deterioration.

I would also be interested in in betweener sizes. I like the wider rims + modestly wide tires right now.
    I would focus more on their sizing based on rim size and ignore the combination size of rim and tire that they suggest. I could see how that is confusing for someone running a 2.6 on a 35mm iw rim. Standard Rimpact: "Suitable for rims with an inner diameter of 23mm - 35mm" ...Plus size Rimpact: "Suitable for rims with an inner diameter of 35mm - 45mm". ....Imho if you're running a 37mm iw rim you should be on the Plus size rimpact. Obviously you wouldn't want to go much smaller than a 2.5 or 2.6 on a 37 mm internal width rim nor would you want to mount a much narrower tread on a wheel that wide either as the insert would take up too much of the air volume of a smaller diameter tire.

mtbr member
    Anyone have experience with Rimpact and Double Down in the rear? I ran EXO and Cush Core Pro last season and liked it, but worry about cutting a tire. Thinking it might be possible to get similar sidewall support, rim protection, and increased cut resistance at a similar weight with DD + Rimpact...
    Commencal Meta TR 29 British Ed. // Commencal Absolut

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jabber127 View Post
    Anyone have experience with Rimpact and Double Down in the rear? I ran EXO and Cush Core Pro last season and liked it, but worry about cutting a tire. Thinking it might be possible to get similar sidewall support, rim protection, and increased cut resistance at a similar weight with DD + Rimpact...
    I ran a DD Aggressor and Rimpact on my old bike. When I built my new bike up I went Cushcore this time just to try it. Rimpact isn't quite as dense but it is thicker and provides a similar level of damping. Where Cushcore has the edge is sidewall support as they fit a lot tighter and really hold the bead in place. Cushcore is definitely more difficult to install.

mtbr member
    Personally, I'm kinda over Rimpacts. They don't provide that much damping and support. They don't sit tight enough to the rim and I think are too elastic. I've found I couldn't really drop my pressures more than 1 psi and honestly barely noticed they're in the tire. At best I think they offer some rim protection. I also noticed when I pulled them out of the tire this last time that they wouldn't even stay on the bare rim (they've gotten super loose).

Cushcore XC provides way more damping and support for another 60g.

On the DD, I wouldn't bother unless you've been destroying EXO casings or are just riding park. I'd go with EXO+ casing tires and Cushcore to give a bit more cut resistance. Rimpact + DD definitely isn't going to give as much support and damping characteristics.

mtbr member
    I ran a DD Aggressor and Rimpact on my old bike. When I built my new bike up I went Cushcore this time just to try it. Rimpact isn't quite as dense but it is thicker and provides a similar level of damping. Where Cushcore has the edge is sidewall support as they fit a lot tighter and really hold the bead in place. Cushcore is definitely more difficult to install.
    Personally, I'm kinda over Rimpacts. They don't provide that much damping and support. They don't sit tight enough to the rim and I think are too elastic. I've found I couldn't really drop my pressures more than 1 psi and honestly barely noticed they're in the tire. At best I think they offer some rim protection. I also noticed when I pulled them out of the tire this last time that they wouldn't even stay on the bare rim (they've gotten super loose).

On the DD, I wouldn't bother unless you've been destroying EXO casings or are just riding park. I'd go with EXO+ casing tires and Cushcore to give a bit more cut resistance. Rimpact + DD definitely isn't going to give as much support and damping characteristics.
    Just what I wanted know. Thanks!
    Commencal Meta TR 29 British Ed. // Commencal Absolut

mtbr member

Interesting on the damping. I really felt like Rimpact did a decent job of deadening chatter and square edge hits. I would say Cushcore is a bit better in that department but not that much.

I completely agree that Cushcore provides more stability and sidewall support at lower pressures. And like you said, if you aren't destroying Exo casing tires currently, I wouldn't bother going to DD.

mtbr member
    Interesting on the damping. I really felt like Rimpact did a decent job of deadening chatter and square edge hits. I would say Cushcore is a bit better in that department but not that much.
    How much less pressure are you able to run with the Rimpacts and what size tires are you using?

I did find the Rimpact worked better with a 2.4" tire than a 2.6". In the front 2.4 DHR2 I could drop the pressure a bit more and the damping and sidewall support was a noticeable improvement. However, in the 2.6" front tire and any rear tire (2.35-2.6") I haven't been able to lower the pressure because the tire got squirmy. I feel like the Rimpact really only works when you can lower pressures and it due to the lack of sidewall support it doesn't allow that to happen much.

mtbr member
    How much less pressure are you able to run with the Rimpacts and what size tires are you using?

I did find the Rimpact worked better with a 2.4" tire than a 2.6". In the front 2.4 DHR2 I could drop the pressure a bit more and the damping and sidewall support was a noticeable improvement. However, in the 2.6" front tire and any rear tire (2.35-2.6") I haven't been able to lower the pressure because the tire got squirmy. I feel like the Rimpact really only works when you can lower pressures and it due to the lack of sidewall support it doesn't allow that to happen much.
    2 PSI or so is all I felt I could get away with and I had them in 27.5x2.5s. I ran 23/25 with an EXO+ front and DD rear. I had a couple weeks off the bike while I was getting my new bike together so I didn't get to do any back to back testing. Just going off memory.

My new bike is also a 29er which I had no prior experience with so I don't have baseline pressures without running inserts figured out. A buddy of mine that is a similar weight told me 19 front and rear. I started at 19/21 and have bumped up to 20/22 after hitting the front wheel. Seems to be my sweet spot for DH riding.

mtbr member
    Meant to add that I am ~175 geared up.

mtbr member
    Meant to add that I am ~175 geared up.
    I'm about 215 geared up. Maybe that's why I don't notice as much of an improvement. The insert only provides a certain amount of support and damping, it doesn't increase just because I weigh more. If you think about it, it's not like heavier riders can drop their pressure more than a lighter rider with the same insert. If the support of the insert scaled up proportionally then a heavier rider should be able to drop their pressure the same percentage... if one rider is able to drop their pressure from 20 to 16 with the insert then another rider should be able to drop their pressure from 30 to 24 but that's not the case. I think it's actually the opposite where heavier riders are not able to drop their pressure the same -psi, much less the same percentage.

Or maybe I'm totally off base.

mtbr member
    Or maybe I'm totally off base.
    Don't know for sure but, I think we can just leave it at, Cushcore is definitely superior to Rimpact.

mtbr member
    Installed Rimpact last weekend before my first race of the season. I have been running CushCore since they first came out and love them, but the weight penalty made me consider something lighter.

First off Rimpact is super easy to install. CushCore is not bad if you know what you are doing, but it is almost impossible to install without a DH tire lever unless you have a lot of practice. Rimpact was easy even with just a standard plastic lever.

Ride support was minimal with Rimpact compared to CushCore. CC inserts have a very strong damping effect where Rimpact was minimal to non-existent in this aspect. Rim protection was untested since I always run the same pressures, 19/23.

On to the biggest issue, I did not buy their valve stems. The design has a hole in the insert to provide airflow out of the valve. Unfortunately, I found out the hard way that the inserts rotate inside the tire constantly. You need a valve stem like CushCore's design where it protrudes above the rim bed. The problem comes if you over inflate your tires or even want to read your tire pressures because the valve is blocked and will not allow air to be released. I was not happy during my race runs because I could not reduce my pressures as the temperature rose from 35 degrees early morning to 75 degrees in the afternoon.

One last note, it is not fully closed cell foam. The outer layer is open unlike CC so it does absorb some, but not all of your sealant almost immediately. I pulled mine off after 12 hours and 3/4's of my sealant was absorbed. This will reduce flat protection and also offset quite a bit of the weight savings.

Overall there is decent value, but make sure you get their valves. Also, you get what you pay for and the CC inserts offer more benefits, but also more weight and cost. Personally I will be going back to the CC inserts for the increased damping effects and ride quality improvement. Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post

On to the biggest issue, I did not buy their valve stems. The design has a hole in the insert to provide airflow out of the valve. Unfortunately, I found out the hard way that the inserts rotate inside the tire constantly. You need a valve stem like CushCore's design where it protrudes above the rim bed. The problem comes if you over inflate your tires or even want to read your tire pressures because the valve is blocked and will not allow air to be released. I was not happy during my race runs because I could not reduce my pressures as the temperature rose from 35 degrees early morning to 75 degrees in the afternoon.
    Same thing happened to me. If you have an allen wrench small enough to fit into the stem, you can press down on the insert a bit to allow air to escape.

mtbr member
    Same thing happened to me. If you have an allen wrench small enough to fit into the stem, you can press down on the insert a bit to allow air to escape.
    Yes this is what I had to do. It was more difficult for me since I run Tyrewiz, but frustrating either way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Yes this is what I had to do. It was more difficult for me since I run Tyrewiz, but frustrating either way.
    I also discovered this issue at a race if it makes you feel better.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Co4runnin View Post
    Quick review... I've run Huck Norris and Cushcore for the past 2 seasons and I'm a full on Cushcore convert.

I recently moved up to a 29" Megatower from my nomad and I felt that I could really feel the the weight of the cushcore in the 29" wheels. With that said, I decided to try out rimpact (only in the front to start). My goal with the rimpact was that it would save weight and get similar pros of the cushcore...

After a recent race at Glorieta and DH laps at Angelfire, I can say the following....

Pros
    - Similar dampening qualities to cushcore
    - Significantly lighter than cushcore
    - Significantly cheaper than cushcore

Cons
    - Doesn't have the same tire roll-over bead hold that cush does. I could run lower pressures and get that nice damped feel of cush, but when I was railing through berms I could feel the front tire squirm on me (w/ cush I had no tire role at the same PSI).

Conclusion...
    Cushcore is still the best, but rimpact is almost 1/3 the weight and price of cushcore. I'd give it a try at least in the front. I prefer to have the ability to smash through lines in races, so I'll continue to run cush in the rear.
    Hey Co4runnin, I was hoping to try a similar setup on my 29er enduro bike. My main goal is to save a little weight up front.

Was hoping you could provide a little more info on your experience. How much do you weigh? Rear Travel? Cushcore and DH casing in the rear or trail casing on the rear tire?

I'm 180lbs and am going to stick with Cushcore AND DH casing tire in the rear, but have not tried an insert up front yet.

What pressure would you run up front without an insert / Cushcore / Rimpact? Tire type (trail or DH)?

How would you say the Rimpact compared to Cushcore specifically on sidewall support or resisting roll-over? approx % of support?

How about Rimpact compared to Cushcore on damping? approx % of damping?

Any other thoughts or conclusions since your original post?

-Thanks