Rim cracks (spoke holes)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Rim cracks (spoke holes)

Today I noticed my WTB STP i23 TCS rear wheel has CRACKS at the spoke holes in about 7 places.
    The front rim seems OK.

I have never adjusted the spoke tension. I have had the bike about 18 months.
    My level of riding is very light. Mostly road & light trail riding. I go off drops 60cm or so, under a metre. Do a few small jumps. Probably about the minimum you can do to qualify for "leaving the ground" - ha ha

I don't know if it's always been like this & I never noticed... but I assume I would have noticed by now.

How serious/dangerous is this?

I also notice many white lines in the photos, like the rim material is full of stress/cracks - maybe that's normal or not a problem - do you know?

Thanks for your advice!

Rim cracks (spoke holes)-dsc06026.jpgRim cracks (spoke holes)-dsc06025.jpgRim cracks (spoke holes)-dsc06024.jpgRim cracks (spoke holes)-dsc06023.jpgRim cracks (spoke holes)-dsc06021.jpg

Not normal, the rim is junk and should be replaced.
    "These things are very fancy commuter bikes or really bad dirt bikes, but they are not mountain bikes." - J. Mac

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Send the photo's to WTB and see about warranty. Not adjusting the spoke tension, I would leave that part out.

Downcountry AF
    Yup, that rim is done.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    As said, it's toast. Did they come on a complete bike build or did you buy them from somewhere pre-built, like an online shop etc? Weird that the tension would be so high to cause such a failure from properly built and tensioned wheels, would be interesting to know what the spoke tensions are. Definitely contact WTB, the warranty is 2 years AFAIK.
    Just curious, but you did not mention how much you weigh OP, if you're a bigger dude, you could need a stronger rim/wheel build.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Well thanks guys.

oh well ...

It was a complete bike. 2017 Vitus Sentier VRS.

Any recommendations for a cost effective replacement?
    It'll need to be i-23 or i-25 i guess, not sure if i should go wider due to tyre clearance.
    27.5 32H

Downcountry AF
    Definitely go wider. What tire are you using?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Definitely go wider. What tire are you using?
    nobby nic 2.35 on the rear,
    magic mary on the front

Downcountry AF
    how much do you weigh?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    67 kg

If wider is OK, then these Spank Spoon 32 (26.7 inner) are a nice price & get some good feedback. https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...m/rp-prod65128

I'm drawn to the raceface arc27 since I have a lot of RF stuff on my bike, but these Arc get some rough reviews.

I have under 1cm (7mm?? maybe, hard to measure accurately) of clearance on the rear tyre so im worried wider rims will be risky.

Rim cracks (spoke holes)-screen-shot-2019-05-12-23.43.02.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riquez View Post
    I have under 1cm (7mm?? maybe, hard to measure accurately) of clearance on the rear tyre so im worried wider rims will be risky.
    Roughly speaking a rim adds 1/3 of its width to the width of the tire carcass. So if you go from 24mm to 30mm inner width rims, and change of 6mm, the tire will get about 2mm wider. Knobs usually move even less.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    I'm about 100kg and my arc27 are doing great. They're very thin, but very stiff. Keep pressure reasonable and they're solid.

mtbr member
    how much do you weigh?
    still such a dick...

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Yeah, no fat shaming! Hahaha. Ive really got to lose a few pounds. I had cracks in rims just like that. Bummer. I had to replace the rims to sell the bike. WTB Laser Disc Rims. WTB was very generous and warrantiied hoops. I really love that company. I try to buy a bit of stuff from them whenever it works out for me. WTB is great.

mtbr member
    I'd definitely step up to at a least a 25mm internal width, maybe 27mm. As to rims, I like WTB, have had good service out of them since I switched to them about 5 years ago. As to which model, I'd say if you want ultimate strength get the ST i25, something a bit lighter the new KOM Tough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riquez View Post
    Well thanks guys.
    oh well ...

It was a complete bike. 2017 Vitus Sentier VRS.Any recommendations for a cost effective replacement?
    It'll need to be i-23 or i-25 i guess, not sure if i should go wider due to tyre clearance.
    27.5 32H
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by WP Local View Post
    still such a dick...
    Huh?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Barely in control
    Huh?
    Dont you know? Never ask a woman her weight!

mtbr member
    I really like WTB rims. The rims that came on that bike are not their best rims, but they should not have cracked like that unless someone really over-tightened the spokes!

If you have to replace the rim at your own expense, the question now is- new rim or new wheel? If you replace just the rim, you'll probably need new spokes too. The cost of rim, spokes, and labor can add up quickly. Building your own wheels is an option (that's what I do) but it's a challenging skill to learn.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I really like WTB rims. The rims that came on that bike are not their best rims, but they should not have cracked like that unless someone really over-tightened the spokes!

If you have to replace the rim at your own expense, the question now is- new rim or new wheel? If you replace just the rim, you'll probably need new spokes too. The cost of rim, spokes, and labor can add up quickly. Building your own wheels is an option (that's what I do) but it's a challenging skill to learn.
    Quite right! Good points Turtle.
    I considered this but I think a new rear wheel means getting into the complication of a rear hub & sourcing a supplier who can build it to spec.

I live on a remote pacific island. I can't buy from USA due to excessive shipping costs ($70+ shipping for a sticker (LOL)) so my options are Chain Reaction or a good european store that can send a rim for 20
    I am guessing my LBS will charge $80 for building the wheel & doing the tubeless etc.

Raceface ARC 27 from CRC the total will be about $150 (rim, spokes, labour) - getting good & bad feedback about this. not sure but would like to go for this.

Spank 295 Oozy from Euro store, the total will be about $190 - cool colour & brand, light & good price. Some say the beadlock is hard to remove, i already have enough trouble setting up tubeless so i worry about more woes.

WTB Tough i-25 looks good too, but that means about $210 - i'm sure it would be the safest option.

If I buy it all from CRC it make life easier, so just weighing up the pros/cons right now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I see rims crack like this all the time from all brands. Spoke tension can play a role. Also time, weight, and watts.

You can ride it lightly for a bit but eventually a spoke will pull through and you will be stranded. I would not do any extreme riding with the rim like that.

Land of the 230+
    I agree with everyone else that you should replace that rim.

If you need a very temporary solution for light riding, I've had luck in the past repairing a friends WTB scraper with a half dozen or so cracks. I epoxied in washers behind the cracked spoke holes. You have to drill out the inner rim bed to fit the washer through. I told my buddy it should get him through the next week or so while he ordered a replacement rim. Last I checked, he probably had 500+ xc miles on the repair.

Would I suggest that fix long term? Not a chance. But if you need to get through the next week or two, it may get you by. Just remember the wheel is on borrowed time, so keep in mind it is likely to explode on you at the worst possible moment.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Thanks everyone. I have ordered a new rim (WTB i-25 KOM tough)